Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Chevy Equinox

Comments

• vwalburnvwalburn Member Posts: 23
    edited July 2011
    Something that may help to understand the differences in all these classifications. All GF-5 oils are not dexos but all dexos oils are GF-5; which ever spec is higher, they have to meet. Prices aren't bad at the dealer; they charged me $3.24/Qt. for an oil change on our 2011 Equinox and that was dexos oil.
    http://www.gf-5.com/gsuniverse/sitetemplates/gf5/SPIDER%20DIAGRAM.html
  • onefunkaronefunkar Member Posts: 113
    equinox and gmc terrain are the same. the only difference is style so whichever style you like better. thats what id buy...
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Id go with whichever has the best dealer network/service/repair as this is where the men and the boys are seperated.
    Glad to hear you got the bugs out. Our 2011 Equinox has 12000 on it and we haven't had any mechanical issues. Our only issue was a headliner that was sagging at the middle dome light. It's been fixed 3 times and the dealer has said that if it happens again, we will be getting a new headliner but 1 month and it's not sagging yet.
  • CapeCodCapeCod Member Posts: 117
    I am a week old owner of 2011 Equinox with 4 cyc Eco Engine...
    The salesman and other dealer reps said absolutely nothing about this DEXOS oil debate?
    I know it has been awhile but this whole DEXOS oil debate brings back haunting memories of DEXCOOL that damn near ruined my 1998 Olds van. Wasn't the end result the antifreeze caused the manifold gaskets to fail? If I had been GM I at least would have dropped the DEX prefix... too many bad memories! Adding a bit of humor... wasn't DEXCOOL a different color... maybe GM could go with a cool DEXOS oil color as well? I favor a shade of light blue! :shades:
  • wingrootwingroot Member Posts: 43
    DE is an upgrade oil. From the standard G4 to a new standaed G5. Penzoil, among others, has the new G5 rating. Do a google search for more info.

Wingroot........
    Has anyone found a successful way to use the deep storage console between passenger and driver seats? They have a small 'soap dish' size tray that sits on top that is useful but tiny. But how do I make use of the deep well. To me it is like an elevator shaft or bottomless pit. Heck I can not even see the bottom of it. Is there some type of third party gizmo that might fit in it to make the space useful??? They say it can hold a laptop... Who cares? I have no interest in stuffing a laptop end to end into the pit. I have a nice padded sleeve for my laptop. Not regretting my purchase but a week later I do see a few shortcomings I missed. Fingers crossed the stalling issue doesn't appear next.
    Check out this site for more insight on the whole thing. The dexos oil is an upgrade from the standard GF-5 oils out there. Easy to get from the dealer for a great price or find it at Wal-Mart. http://www.gf-5.com/
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Member Posts: 114
    My wife and I are talking about trading our 2006 Torrent for a new NOX or Traverse. Those of you that have had ownership experiences with the previous generation Nox/torrent and now own a NOX/Terrain I would like to hear your comparisions. Driving comfort/ road niose etc. Our torrent has given 78,000 trouble free miles, but would like to find something this size that is more comfortable, quieter in a new cuv. all of our kids are gone , so it's the two of us most of the time. the traverse is on our radar because of all the people we know that have this platform really love the car. I am hesitant on the travese because i believe it's larger than we need, more $$$$ and the fuel mileage is less. want to stay gm since we have a gm mastercard and have quite a few points racked up towards the purchase price. thanks in advance
    Richard
    The 2011 is the perfect fit for my wife and I. Good fit and finish. Quite ride. Good ride. Sensible size. For me the six is a must. The six gives good highway acelleration and comes with hydraulic power steering. The four withe eletric steering has too much slop and feel. 8,500 miles, no problems. better than my 2009 and malibu and 2007 RAV4 . millage 350 mi trip av. 27 mpg
    Richard
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    This is my chance to put a positive note on the new Nox. If you read all the posts here you would think the Nox is the worst vehicle ever built. I've never heard so many complaints.
    I didn't own a first gen Nox so I can't compare the two but my 2010 Nox has been trouble free for 1 1/2 years now. The wife and I are very happy. We have the 4cyl and have found it all that we need.
    Rear vision is difficult so I definitely recommend the rear view camera.

The only complaint I have is that it is hard to get 4 golf bags in the back. :shades:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A Women’s Health magazine reporter is interested in speaking with women on the appeal of SUV’s and Minivans. If you previously owned a minivan and currently own an SUV or other crossover utility vehicle and are interested in speaking with this reporter about why you chose it and what you like about it, please respond to pr@edmunds.com with your name, email address and day time phone number by Wednesday, August 3, 2011.
    I have to disagree as far as the rear camera goes, at least the one they put in the rearview mirror. It just plain sucks and is worthless. They use the same type of camera you see when you look out the right hand mirror. Things 10 feet away look about 100 yards in the camera plus you have a 2 inch view at most making it a plain waste of money. Why they didn't use a regular lens camera I will never know. Don't waste your money.
  • lazy_boneslazy_bones Member Posts: 28
    The purpose of the rear-view camera isn't to give a long-range view - it's to show the first few feet behind the car, so that you can see if your kid's bicycle (or the kid himself) is in back of the car, in the area where the rear-view mirror is blind. If you use a trailer hitch, it's great for lining up the hitch ball to the hitch.
    Well on my Nox with the camera it has if there is a bike behind it and you are lucky enough to be able to see it even though it is 2 feet behind the rear bumper it makes it look about 30 feet away. Now how can that be a help since I most likely won't see it in the first place. Now maybe you have the Nav package and just maybe they use a different camera.
    Nope - I have it in the rear-view mirror also. This camera is only intended to show the area nearest to the rear bumper - in fact you should be able to see the bumper in the bottom of the display. It is a wide-angle camera, and not intended to represent the correct proportions of the covered area - it's only intended to magnify what's within the first few feet. If you can't see a bike when it's two feet back, the camera is aimed improperly. There are rear-view cameras that do show the area behind in correct proportions, just like looking out a window. These are usually the ones on the rear of motorhomes.
  • rocketentrocketent Member Posts: 60
    "Auto sales rose just 1% in July, but in an interesting twist, ............at GM, sales of the Equinox rose 73%.........

For the year, Equinox sales are up 47% to 112,932."

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/5-winning-cars-in-july--big-wheels.html

I would guess that the overall sales, since the new Equinox first came out in the summer of '09, would be in excess of 250,000. Does anybody know?

It's too bad that a few people have had a bad experience with their Nox, because it's such a great car for the money.
    And on the back of wife's Fusion with lines that I can back up till red line is where I want to be and I'm just inches off.
    Instead of the red line, in the Equinox, just back up until the visible part of the rear bumper is at the spot where you want to be, and you'll be within inches again.
  • avenrowemanavenroweman Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know if the headlights come on automatically when you turn on the windshield wipers? Couldn't find anything in the manual. Again this is the LTZ model.
  • onefunkaronefunkar Member Posts: 113
    generally on gm cars the lights come on within a minute of turning on the wipers....
  • ribbonspeakersribbonspeakers Member Posts: 8
    Three cars on my current shopping list, all 4-cylinder/FWD:

10-11 Nox
    Toyota Venza
    09-10 VW Passat wagon

The 10-11 Nox 4-cylinder has numb, low-sensitivity electric-assist steering. Apparently the 6-cylinder has hydraulic assist with better sensitivity.

I respectfully request referral to a cost-effective method to increase the steering sensitivity on the 4-cylinder Nox.

TIA!
    Jimbo
  • chevy48chevy48 Member Posts: 5
    Just wanted to let everyone know that I had to put my new equinox, 3-weeks old with 400 mile in the shop. I went to go to work and started it up and on came a light for the engine malfunction. I needed to get to work and decided I would drive it anyway. I backed out of my garage and put the car in drive and notice some hesitation and continued down the road and just felt that it was not responding well when I stepped on the gas pedal. I decided to turn around, when I slowed to turn the vehicle around it stalled. I restared and it was very sluggish but managed to get it back inot my drive way. My husband came out and when he went to move it back into the garage it stalled, he restarted and stepped on the gas pedal firmly to keep it from stalling. So as of right now, I do not know what it wrong with it and will keep everyone up to date when I find out from the dealership service dept. :confuse: ">
    I know this comment does you no good now. But I have written many posts for the many reasons I wanted a six. One was the very responsive road feel of hydraulic steering. GM does not have the feel rate where it should be. Very sloppy. A high speed aircraft has an induced artifical feel that is proper and realistic to input. I know the Knox is not a high speed aircraft....but it has poor input and feel

Wingroot
  • babbs3babbs3 Member Posts: 50
    Is it true that the 6 sp. auto that Ford uses is the same as GM? I am on my 2nd ford in 2 yrs and both have the strangest trannys. My 2010 Fusion would rev like crazy (before 40mph) and than shift very hard (almost slammed). Dealer did NOTHING but tell me it was my driving! Been driving for 49 years and had many cars, none of which had bad trans. The 2011 Excape seems like the evil cousin trans. almost as bad as the Fusion. I heard these are asian trans. and we are stuck with em. Does anyone else mfg. transmissions?
    and a whole lot cheaper then the plane. They have to hit a price point and must figure that 99.9% of the people really don't care. Mine steers just fine for normal driving. Now on a race course maybe a different story,but hey, the nox was not made to race. :shades:
  • play2winplay2win Member Posts: 1
    I have own a non american car for years and left the general because of unreliable low quality vehicles. I was a die hard GM fan for years, but must say I have been very happy with the reliability of some of the foreign vehicles. I really want to buy another american vehicle but have my reservations. I really like the room, size and features of the Equinox. It does look a bit plastic on the inside and I wondered why don't they add a platinum package with upgraded leather seats and dash materials. I drove both the 4cyl and v6 and must say I was really disappointed in the lack of real pick-up in the v6. they should up grade the v6 to a 3.9 or sometihing or either up grade the transmission for better power delivery. the Nox has the trapping of a winner but we'll see what the general does.
    Considering a Equinox...
    Here are 2 things I as a 2 month owner are disappointed in.
    First: The gas mileage ratings clearly were fudged. Around town is far below their estimates. On the highway can be over 29 but only with VERY cautious driving... not the find you find on a busy turnpike.
    Second: I am hugely disappointed in the OnStar Phone. I paid for the extra trial minutes. Either I speak in a foreign language or my OnStar refuses to learn my voice. Could not enter short names like "kate" because it sounded too much like "help"???? Even saying the numbers is difficult... I have yet to master the OnStar Phone pace of reading the numbers.
    I'll add a bonus third thing I am displeased with. The front of the hood is somewhat like a battering ram... every few days it is covered in bug roadkill. And I assume eventually stone chips once winter arrives.
    BUT It does have a very quiet ride!!! Quieter than many of my friends' sedans. That part GM got right.
  • 1chevyfan1chevyfan Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a white 2011 Equinox, at 2,000 miles, I started having the same problem. At times, the power steering will not engage. Has a resolution been reached? I have almost hit trees and other vechicles when this happens. I have an appointment on Tuesday.
    A reporter would like to interview anyone who has used Edmunds.com's Car Match.

Please email pr@edmunds.com by November 4, 2011 with your daytime phone number and a comment about your experience.
  • dman001948dman001948 Member Posts: 14
    I bought a 2011 Nox, LTZ 4 banger in April of this yr. I offer the following for comparison: I also have a 2000 LT 4x4 4.3 (6Cyl) Blazer and had a 2009 Impala 3.5 (6 cyl). The 2000 Blazer gets anywhere from 15 in the city to 23 on the highway (MPG). (Still have it) The 2009 Impala got around the same in the city (15 mpg) and 29 to 30 mpg on the highway at 80-85 MPH. Now the the new Nox gets what the 2000 Blazer gets. I just check it again yesterday and it read 20 mpg, mixed city and highway. I am really disappointed in with this gas mileage, that was the one selling point and the biggest one for me was the increase in mpg. Its not going to happen, the dealer says wait until it get broke in. Bunch of B.S. (I have 2,300K on it now and that should be enough to "Break it in") And now a new problem has risen. When the Nox sits for a day or two and I start it up, it sounds like all hell is breaking loose under the hood and I hear a slip and grab and it stops. Oil is fine and have 76% left on it. To me it sounds like either the rod bearings or the A/C compressor. I have heard about this through other people and the dealer will do nothing about it...I have yet to call my dealer concerning it because of the bad feed back I have seen on the logs concerning the dealers treatment toward the problem. I also have a pass side rear tire that lose's 4lbs of air each and every month, its like clock work. Now the dealer change the wheels before I bought it, they took of the standard 17" wheel and put 18" wheels on it. I wondering if its the valve cord or the tire not sealing around the rim. Would these be covered under the warranty? :sick:
    My E-nox 4 cyl purchased in July has improved some on mpg. Odometer is approaching 5000 miles. Turnpike driving is acceptable at 29 mpg. But is never close to the advertised 32! Hills in particular wipe out the mpg. Ex: Going to Cape Cod from Upstate NY (300 miles) I routinely get upper 28 to 29 mpg. BUT coming back I get mid 26 range. This is true for multiple trips... and I blame it on the hills coming home. Likely this has to do with the gearing? Around town is a nightmare... barely 20 often 18! Fortunately my wife drives it very little around town as we are retired. For long trips it is a delight to drive.... comfortable and QUIET! Narrowness of the rear storage is annoying. BTW Does that huge rear speaker really serve a purpose in creating "white noise" as advertised??? Sound like hype to me!
    As for the start up noise... I too get it. To me it mimics 'dieseling". Sometimes I think it is me turning the key too far? or not far enough? Only lasts a split second but it is there! Does sound internal to the engine to me... not AC or Alternator, or pulley related. Others have mentioned stalling... I have had none of that.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Generally speaking I think by the time you get around 4k or so on the Odo the milage will be about as good as it gets from break in perspective. I know those milage killer hills in the Berkshires quite well myself, not much you can do about that. From my experiance with our Terrain I think you may do a little better on the Pike if you could keep speeds at 60 MPH or under (if you don't get run over ;) ).
    If you think its quiet,,,,,,,,the ANC system may very well be working.
  • dman001948dman001948 Member Posts: 14
    At what speeds are you driving at? Here in AZ once you get out on I-10 the speed limit is 75 with a 10 mph cushion before the state patrol will stop you. So now your up to 85 mph, I drive around 80. I have heard that if you drive around 55-60 you may make the 32 mpg. Here in AZ if you drive like that on I-10 you surely will be run over and that includes semi's. So that speed is out of the question unless I want to get someone hurt in a crash, not counting me...If you have ever heard a A/C clucth going bad, you would now what it sounds like, it will slip and then engage. Or the rod bearings sound the same way. I use to do all my own work on my cars (Still do on the Blazer) and I have rebuilt many a motors. So I do have some experince in "Sounds". I had the Blazers A/C compressor replace while under warrenty here in AZ and the new one sounds like the bad one, reason: The dealer ship never vaccum the old system out nor replace the dryer or condenser...It still works but makes a lot of noise. I had my friend who is a master mech look at it and said they replace the compressor but did not do what I mention before and will be just a matter of time before it goes out, thankfully he said he would replace it for me and do it the right way.
    I cannot agree with your comment about dieseling, it does not (Mine anyhow) sound like that. Its metal to metal and thats not good..When the motor blows it will be under warrently. They should know better then put a engine like that in these Suv's and I'm the sucker for buying it. From what I was told at the dealer ship the big speaker in the rear is for the noise adjustment so it will auto change the volume on the radio according to nosie level in that area. And like you I have had no stalling problems. I like the nox, great riding Suv compare to my 2000 4x4 Blazer. And believe it or not I compare the storage area to the 2000 Blazer and they are the same, they don't look like it, but they are. :shades:
    I know this does not help anyone having problems, but.........10,500 miles and not one problem. I have a six with hydraulic power steering. 320 mile trip, average 26.5 mpg at 70 75 mph.
    The only complaint I have, and it is minor, the tranny could be better matched to the six.
  • vikki1vikki1 Member Posts: 2
    I was seriously thinking about trading my 2010 Honda CRV with 18,000 miles for the new 2012 Chevy Equinox. After reading all these horror stories I think I'll hang on to the Honda. Maybe consider trading it for the 2012.. or just keep it.
    edited October 2011
    I hope they've figured out a fix for their AC Problems. ;)

People do tend to post more about problems than taking the time to say their car is running normally. Human nature I guess, but take forum posts with a grain of salt.

Consumer reviews here give both the '11 Nox and '11 CR-V four stars.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    If and when you do decide to work with a GM Dealership towards resolving the noise concern you’ve brought up, please email Christina your information (name, contact info, VIN, and Dealership name) because we’d like to be available to work with you and your dealer towards resolving this concern.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I'm betting there are horror stories on the Honda site as well. 99% of the people owning a vehicle are happy campers and since G.M. has out sold everyone every year but a couple for the past 50 years I'd say there are a lot of happy campers out there. I know my E. runs like a top
  • slvrld2slvrld2 Member Posts: 5
    I sent an email to gmcustsvc about my 2011 Equinox engine noise problem.
    How will I know if it was received.
    I provided info on the 3 service department trips and still have the noise.
    All vehicle and customer information was provided in the email.
    Please help!
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Slvrld2,

I checked our system and did not see your email in our inbox. I apologize for this – would you please resend it? We are eager to assist!

Thank you for your patience,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Perhaps to avoid any confusion, the GM customer service reps could ask for forum name and username as well as the usual info requested. As an example if I had a problem I could add 'Edmunds Ray80 ' or whatever forum username would apply.
  • slvrld2slvrld2 Member Posts: 5
    Could you please give me theemail address so I am sure I am sending it to the right address.

Thanks
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Thank you for this recommendation, Ray80. I will adjust my future posts accordingly!

Slvrld2, please email me at the address available on my profile (I hadn’t realized it was under “private” until just now and have now made it viewable – apologies), and per Ray80’s suggestion, please include your Edmund’s username as well.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • styles62styles62 Member Posts: 1
    I have noticed when opening front doors, there is debris in front corner on inside of doors. Below the cup holders there is also debris. On the car where door butts to car, there is also debris. The seam where the front and back of door meet on the bottom is packed with mud. I am told by dealer no one has ever complained of this. HMMMMM! I honestly don't believe this, so I am looking to owners to see if they have seen this on their cars. This is 2012 Equinox with 3000 miles on it.
    In Vehicle Type > SUV
    Before buying our Equinox in Aug. 2010, we were looking at the CR-V and the Equinox as well. We preferred the looks, inside and out, of the Equinox. We found the interior design of the Honda to be not as comfortable as the Chevy and the center console of the Honda is a bad joke. We looked at everything on the market and kept coming back to the Equinox. We have had our 4 cyl. LT for over a year now, with no problems. We love the car and hope it stays trouble-free for a long time. A great dealer also helps.
    No problems like that at all with our 2011 Equinox.
    Please...........get the six with hrdraulic power steering. The four is too underpowerd for serious highway driving.
  • jan21816jan21816 Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2011
    I just got:

Recall 11195 rough idle, poor driveability - reprogram engine control module

for my '11 Nox, which I've had since July. Can't find any explanation on here of what this is going to change? I don't have any engine noise. Is it important or just a way to get me in for a service? I saw a ref. here to 11195A - is that different/better and will my service center know the difference?

Here are some experiences for anyone shopping around and other questions that have been bothering me:

My mpg is atrocious at 18.2 average, which is disappointing as the 32 mpg was my major reason for the purchase. I knew it would never reach 32, but 18 - honestly?? I live in a hilly area and I do a lot of short trips, under 15 min., so I guess my engine never warms up properly? Can someone comment on that theory?

Whenever I have the windscreen heater on to remove condensation, the air blows freezing cold into the car. Doesn't matter if I set the heater to 90, it still feels like AC, which is painful on 24 degree F mornings like yesterday. Is this normal or should I get a service look-see?

My bluetooth is a total pain - I posted about this elsewhere, but in summary it rings in ok but it never seems to work the same way twice to dial out, and it's voice-recognition is patchy - some days it works, others it can't understand me at all - so to dial out I really have to use the dashboard / touch screen buttons. I have re-paired twice already and I guess I need to do it again. Is there anything a dealer can reset that might make more of a difference?

I mentioned the hills -- my 4 cyl has a *lot* of trouble on them. But I didn't want a 6 cyl because of the gas mileage ... ha ha. I get a lot of engine noise when trying to climb them, so much so that I frequently check to be sure I didn't slip the car into M by accident.

I do not experience any of the engine noise on start-up that people have mentioned. The stories of the engine cutting out on the highway are terrifying but I haven't had any problems like that, touch wood. Although, I did once experience a lowering of power on the highway ... maybe that is related? Anyone?

I also have an Escalade (we are a big family) and I bought the Nox as a gas-saving runabout for when I don't have everyone with me. In 4 months, we have only used the Esc about 6 times. Since it gets less than 10 mpg, I am very happy to garage it. Compared to the Esc, I love the Nox's manoeuvrability and size. Zipping into parking spaces is a dream. I feel like a real person instead of just a mom.

Comfort and amenities in the car are nice on the whole -- I notice the seats feel like a bleacher when I return to the Nox from my Esc or DH's BMW, but after the first time of returning to the Nox I don't notice it any more. Cargo capacity, radio, docking, memory seats, auto-tailgate, engine noise level are all good. I particularly love the notches from the center console for the usb cables, so that they don't get crushed when you close the armrest (my 2010 Esc doesn't even have those!). Clever feature.

Overall, for my purposes of small(er) car to run around in, the Nox works. My main complaints are the gas and the hill noise.

Can anyone help me with the issues I raised above?
  • capecodgolfercapecodgolfer Member Posts: 17
    Bought my 4 cyl in July as well. So far I have heard nothing re: recall for module. Maybe it will be one of those 'silent' recalls? I do notice a bit of a rough idle but I blamed that on the ECO mode. Lately my around town mileage has improved. I had thought my lead footed wife had finally learned to ease up on the pedal. More likely it is just an improvement from not using the A/C as much. Around town went from below 20 to 22. I still get 29 on the open road. But, hills are very hard on the mileage!
    My greatest fear is one of the blind spots is going to get me killed! Side mirrors and the front windshield support can hide a full SUV! Angle of the passenger seatback and the center post also hides vehicles approaching when I back out of my driveway. All in all the high belt line cuts down on visibilty but likely protects me better? I sure hope so. I still rave about the quietness of the ride! The Onstar service program update is kind of questionable. Got an email from my dealer (not one from Onstar?) saying a needed oil change and tire rotation. Since it was from my local dealer I would have liked prices quoted for the services. Emailed them back and got prices... but I'll bet dollars to donuts the quoted price will be wrong since Nox uses upgraded oil? BTW Onstar said my oil still had more than 60% of life left. Seemed a bit early to be sending warning?