Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Chevy Equinox

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is interested in talking with someone who considered buying a small car, but instead bought a Ford, GM or Chrysler SUV or truck after deciding that the size sacrifice wasn't worth the savings at the pump. If your experience fits this description, please send a brief overview and contact information to pr@edmunds.com by Sunday 11/27.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    capecodgolfer,
    Can you please email me your VIN and involved dealer? Usually OnStar will directly say something to the tune of change engine oil. I would be happy to look into this for you. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • CapeCodCapeCod Member Posts: 117
    Below is the notification I received from my dealer... complete with the misspellings.
    I received no message from OnStar...
    I did renew XM radio but I doubt I will re-up for OnStar.
    Really not living up to my expectations.
    The voice recognition for phone calls is especially bad.
    I tried to use name Kate... was told it was too close to HELP?
    Even speaking the phone number is difficult.
    My pace and OnStar's pace do not mesh... constantly have to repeat.
    Usually end up calling for assistance from a person...

Mr. Thompson,
    Onstar has notified us reguarding your 2011 equinox. The remaining oil life is 56 % and a tire rotation is recommended. We would be happy to schedule this in for you at your conveince. Please contact us if you would like us to schedule this in for you.

Steve Burch
    Service Manager
    Whiteman Chevrolet
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    That sounds about right, tire rotation suggestion is at xxxxx miles. The OLM at 56% is just a mention of where it is currently (Although the mention might get some customers to bite and do an oil change also)
  • capecodgolfercapecodgolfer Member Posts: 17
    Was I wrong then, when I expected to receive emails directly to me re: service & recalls???
    Mileage is at 4000-5000 miles and 5 months almost to the day from purchase date.
    I only have about 1 month left on my 6 month trial so I suspect that was the real reason I got my service update? I'm sure they would like to impress me with how valuable the service is.
    So far the only part I like is the real live person assistance getting GPS directions. ability to send directions from laptop to car is okay as well. GPS does have clear voice although a bit loud.
    But likely not worth $300 a year so far....
    BTW Anyone else frustrated trying to put names & numbers into the phone system?
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Hhmm, something doesn't seem quite right. I think during this trial period you should have been getting monthly email reports from onstar. Do you perhaps have a spam blocker getting in the way?
    My experiance was the monthly update and perhaps an additional email when service was suggested (which included a later email for service stuff from dealer). Just out of curiousity, have you had an oil change yet?
  • jan21816jan21816 Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2011
    I have the same problem with voice recognition.

I say: "Call ________ (husband's name) Mobile", and it says "Calling *9103".

No matter how hard I exaggerate the pronunciation, it insists Elaine is too similar to Landon.

Sometimes when I press the phone button on the steering wheel, nothing at all happens. Sometimes it puts me to the phone and waits. Sometimes it automatically redials my last number. Sometimes it puts me to a general "What would you like to do?" Sometimes it starts giving me basic operational options: "You can get information on how to access settings by stating what you would like to do, for example you can say 'Navigation'".

Couple this with the fact that sometimes I have to say "Hands-Free" before I can dial anything (and then it often responds with something crazy like: "Display: you can adjust the display by ..." or some other useless tripe like that) and sometimes I can just say "Dial" to get started calling. It doesn't seem to be consistent in what commands it expects which makes it even more frustrating.

The VR / phone in my Escalade (also GM, obviously) has NONE of these problems and works like a dream, so that makes it even more frustrating.
  • bcramer003bcramer003 Member Posts: 1
    A few months back we bought a new 2011 Equinox with a 4cyl. Over all we are happy with the vehicle with the exception of two issues. The fuel milage is not as good as advertised on the hwy and the vehicle has a stalling issue. The first time it occured we called the dealership and were told that unless it happened again that they didn't feel we needed to bring it in. It happened again today and the same dealership told my wife that they didn't know what they wanted to do and that they would call us back and that it might be a day. I'm VERY dissappointed in the vehicle and the customer service. It has an issue and they didn't know if I needed to bring it in? Needless to say I called the dealer and told them I would be bringing it in for service and didn't want it back until it was fixed. I've read about a stalling issue from others, what is the cause?
    Otherwise it's a great vehicle to drive.
    After I posted saying that mine doesn't lose power / stall, it immediately started doing it. Scarily, the second time it happened was when my 15 year old was pulling out to make a left - she's only been driving for a month and thank goodness no traffic was coming either way.

Anyway, coincidentally, I had just received a postcard in the mail with a recall 011195 on it. My dealership performed the recall service yesterday (parts had to be ordered first) and they tell me that that was the cause of the stalling.

I mentioned the recall number in another post as number 11195. I also see others receiving recall 11195B. I do not know the difference, but I guess I am going to have to check with my dealer today before picking up my vehicle.

I hope this is truly the cause of the stalling and that this helps someone.
    Another person who received the recall....
    Bought my 4 cyc 2011 in July....
    I still have received no recall notice????
    Traveling right now...
    When I get back I'll have to research the 11195 recall...
    Can not be that many 4 cyl that they would want to skip me...
    Even a chance for them to sell me an oil change...
    or impress me "With how much they value by business"? ;)
  • slvrld2slvrld2 Member Posts: 5
    Sarah;
    My Equinox has been repaired of the engine noise by our wonderful dealer. They had the vehicle for two weeks, but provided a loaner for the duration. No problems now and we are very happy that we bought a Chevrolet!
    Nice that you had the noise fixed...
    but I am guessing the rest of us would like to know what the cause of the noise was? And what was done to fix it that took 2 weeks? Especially since most get the "no one else has complained" company line.
    Do I like my E'nox... absolutely. But I have heard the start-up noise and still wonder about the recall notice I never received.... Add that to the horrible OnStar phone service and I do wish I had test driven the Kia Sorrento one more time... Maybe a touch of buyer's remorse. Especially since my 'hometown' dealer has shown no interest in keeping my business. Kind of sad when the brand you didn't buy contacts you more than the brand you did buy. Oil change specials, etc from everyone but my dealer. Great marketing!
    The "noise" was at start up (4 cylinder) and was caused by cam tension idlers. Also involved a reprogram of the computer. The two weeks was because of ordering parts. I would guess that with this being either a recall or a bulletin update, parts might be in short supply.
    Anyway, the vehicle is as it sould be. NO strange noises at startup and great gas mileage!
    As I said in my last post, we are very happy with the tech department at GM and our dealer.
    Thank you. Knowing what the repair may be is very helpful.
    Did you have to "nag" the dealer to get it fixed ?
    I ask because my start-up noise is intermittent... might be days or maybe a week between incidents. My wife drives the E'nox nearly 90% of the time so it hasn't been a priority. I would call the dealer but I'm afraid I will have to go the old "Never heard of that problem" BS. To date I still have received nothing suggesting my 4 cyl is on a recall or service bulletin list.
    Followup: Is the cam tension idlers a serious issue? Will it do engine damage now or down the line? Or is it more of a nuisance issue that I can wait to get fixed? thanks.
    I'd love to know: What is your "great gas mileage"?
    Thanks.
    Don't know about 'slvrd2" but my mileage has improved around town. Went from a barely 20 to a solid 22+ which I account to not using the AC now that it is cold. Possibly 'break in' period did have something to do with it as well? I am now at 6000 miles. On the road has stayed about the same near 28mpg on trips. Hills are definitely the killer! Overall I would say I am disappointed with MPG, especially since GM isn't bashful about promoting their "best in class" mileage claim. I seriously can not ever see anyone getting 32 mpg. Who ever certified that claim must be enjoying an early retirement on a private island somewhere spending their payoff. And yes, the claimed mpg did influence my decision!
    edited December 2011
    I don't know the answer to engine damage. i figured a noise of metal or whatever rubbing against something could only cause damage to the engine. The dealer did not know of the recall. They had to be educated by the GM tech staff.
    My gas mileage is roughly 24-26 in town and 30+ on the highway. Mileage on the vehicle is 7,400.

Hope this helps.
  • dman001948dman001948 Member Posts: 14
    I mention that my nox was doing that shortly after I brought it in April of this yr. I have not gotten any recall notice either... The 1st time it done it, I thought the engine was coming apart. Now its down to about 1/2 dozen times since then but with less noise. Now it sounds like something spinning then catches in the motor. I have also had on separte times a blogging down from a dead stop to a quick go to get across a street, It blogs down for a few seconds then catchs and takes off. Also like an old Carb would do when it was going bad or bad timing..I really enjoy the nox. Outside of those situatations and my tires losing air every month like clock work (4 to 5 lbs each month and its not just one tire its radom). I'm afraid I don't see a bright furture for me and the nox...even though I do like it..But, between the horrible gas mileage and the other things mention. I just don't know. But I didn't pay 30K (LTZ model) for these kind of headaches so early on.
    By accident I went to the "2011 Chevy Equinox problems " thread on this same Edmunds forum site.
    PLEASE go their to get updated information re: Startup noises, Recalls, Oil pressure problems, etc. While we have been discussing things here there was a larger but parallel thread that was getting more answers than we are. Seems the problem may be bigger than we thought... and it is not getting passed along to all dealers. Sure, I know some posts are likely from hardened complainers but the similarity in the complaints is too strong to not have some basis. NOTE: Be sure to select 2011 thread as 2010 thread is there also.
    One complaint was very interesting. Dealer claimed there is no longer an Engine oil low warning light? We are suppose to be 'monitoring' our own oil using the tech menu... Damn us idiots still need our idiot lights! Really hope this isn't true as I rarely monitor the tech menu.
    I have search the web and cannot find that recall notice for the nox, however there is one for the front seat belts. The sited recall notice "011195" does fit "Other" makes. (Not chevy) But not the Nox. Would have to see that notice, can it be posted to this site? :confuse:
  • avenrowemanavenroweman Member Posts: 8
    With all the negative remarks about the Equinox over the past 3 model years has anyone not experienced a problem? Maybe I haven't had my car long enough or put as many miles on it as most people have, but I love the car.
  • wingrootwingroot Member Posts: 43
    Hello ................I have had my 2011 Nox since Sept. of 2010. 12,000. Not one problem. Runs quite, great ride excellent car. But.....Ii made sure I did get the six with hrdraulic power steering. This does make a great differance. My millage is more than acceptable. This car is a joy to drive. So far so good...............would I buy another one.....Yes...Richard
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    I'm happy to reply my 2010 LS with the 4 cyl is problem free. I am enjoying it and receive compliments whenever I give friends a ride on how quiet and smooth the ride is. All the problems i read in this forum do give me pause and make me wonder if I'm doomed for major issues down the road. Coming from owning Toyotas for the last 10 yrs, I am not happy with the Chevy dealer's service department and the way they treat you compared to Toyota dealerships. I can relate to the shabby treatment reported here. GM has a long way to go if they want to keep their new customers.
  • rocketentrocketent Member Posts: 60
    No problems here, going on three years. People with problems post about them on the internet, everybody else just drives their car.
    Thats what this forum is all about, people with problems with this vechile, there are other forums for other vechiles, so what the heck. If you have not had any problems, good for you. But, not all is perfect, so the less perfect gets posted. Took my Nox in for an Oil change and told them about the motor noise and they check the Vin# to see if it was on the recall list and said it wasn't. But, if I wanted to I could leave the Nox over night and they will do a cold start and see it happens. What is strange now is since they did the oil change the vechile appears to be running better and so far no engine noise on start up (Knock on wood). :shades:
    Rocketent....Do you have a 4 cyl?
    A would like to back track just a bit...
    Does the "Recall" for the engine noise actually exist?
    It certainly seems more and more posters are saying their dealer knows of no "Recall." I had my wife's Nox in for a short... 15 minute visit. I absolutely could not read the oil dipstick. They politely showed me if you tilt the 'nub' just right you can see the oil on it. Hope I never have to make a living reading Nox dipsticks! I politely asked about the "noise recall" and got the deer in the headlights stare. "What recall?" was the opinion I got. We are due for a oil change this month so I will try a bit harder then. But could it be the whole "Recall" is smoke and mirrors? I too did a Google search got no official GM recall info. Mostly got posts talking about the "Recall"????
    answered my own question.... Found a new site GMInsidernews.com that had real info regarding the "recall" and fix. IT also had the very first video with sound of a Equinox clearly making the start-up rattle that I have seen anywhere.
    Hopefully the url will post here?
    http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f53/2011-equinox-cold-start-engine-noise-1029- 47/index4.html
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2012
    Thats what this forum is all about, people with problems with this vechile

Actually this a general Equinox discussion so it's fine to report that your '11 Nox is running fine or that you love the seats or that you've figured out a way to accessorize something.

There is a dedicated 2011 Chevy Equinox Problems discussion.
    I stand corrected and yes mind is a 4 cyl, won't buy one of those again, Rest of the vehile is just fine.
  • rocketentrocketent Member Posts: 60
    Yes, 4 cyl here. And as I've reported before, 3 more in my neighborhood which I listen to when they start up as well as ask about noise or other problems and every one has had the same satisfactory comments as I've had.
    This is not to diminish the problems others are stating here, just that I have not seen a reproduction of them in my world.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    I see that you already found some resources on your question; I just wanted to put out there that if you had a question as to whether or not a recall affected your vehicle we would be happy to look this up for you. Send an email with the last 8 digits of your VIN and we'll get that information.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Yes..........2011 with a "6 cyl. engine." 12,000 miles and zero problems.
    6 cyl. with hydraulic power steering.....a formula for sucess.....Richard
  • mcgermmcgerm Member Posts: 21
    The way I got the dealer to believe me was to video my Equinox every time I started it. I probably have 12 videos with the noise and 18 without but it was enough to convince the dealer the problem was real. Of course they could never replicate it when they had it. It still took them 3 tries to execute the Recall/Tech Bullitin correctly.
  • sandi99999sandi99999 Member Posts: 1
    Bought Nov 24/11..4 days lights around ragio,ect where stobing off and on,no heat no radio ect.had it taken back took them 7 days (had to send for a new moduale from the US) now its snaping and whirling the all audio went out,they(CYV GM,Woodstock) took out a fuse(not burnt out) then put it back in,said it was an anomly....now 1 day later its clicking and whirling again...does any one have or has had problems and are they continuous???
  • esperinosesperinos Member Posts: 18
    My wife's 2010 LS with 20000 miles in it is problem free so far as well. Not so my 2010 LT. It is getting minor body work done after its engine repair. I will likely trade it in.
    2011 Nox, 12800 mile, 6 cyl, hyd. power steerings ZERO problems of any kind....stay away from the 4.
  • jingles99jingles99 Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2011, Nox , 4 cy. Love it, 16000 miles...no problems runs great with good gas mileage. Owned over a dozen new cars, this one is my favorite thus far. I do on occasion hear that start up noise, but it hasn't affected performance. Would definitely buy another....probably jinxed myself now.
  • brownwilliebrownwillie Member Posts: 1
    And the Rats won

Unfortunately I too have had many, many problems with my 2011 Equinox from day one. (Transmission, start up noise, mileage and the list goes on.

Service at the dealer has not fixed it. At first they said they never heard of the problems but after I looked up the issues on this site and showed them the list, they said they would look into it. Last time I was there the service manager said - If you think you are the only one with these problems you are sadly mistaken. Now that made me feel a whole lot better!

Now service will not even return my emails to schedule another visit. I guess this is how they get around the lemon law which requires three attempts to fix it before you can file. I guess if you can't bring it in it can't count against them. (and oh by the way if they say they can not duplicate the problem it also doesn't count under lemon law)

I even wrote the owner of the dealership thinking this is a reputable business and they would want to fix the problems - No Response!

Again - the GM policy seems to be to ignore the problem customer and hope it will go away.

I looked at options such as the lemon law or opening a complaint file with GM but if you do in this digital world you are screwed. Regardless of whether or not it ever gets fixed, it is on your "permanent record" as being a defective car. Just try and trade it in after that!

And the GM customer service reps out there who monitor this page are a joke!! I guess GM thinks it makes people feel good when they get an email that says - keep me posted or let me know how it works out. Well guess what - it didn't and won't work out because GM doesn't want to acknowledge these problems

Over the years with the kids and all, I have bought 18 new and 8 used cars - the majority were GM products. This is without a doubt the worst car I ever bought. I will never buy another GM product as long as I live and I will encourage everyone I know to also avoid GM in their car purchases

So I will do as the Rats wish and go away and somehow try to get rid of the car on my own. I am sure I will take a bath on price but it is worth it to get peace of mind. I feel sorry for all of you out there who can not afford to just get rid of your Equinox and be done with it

As I said - GM - Never Again.

Good Luck in your pursuit of solutions
  • hereigoagainhereigoagain Member Posts: 1
    I am the owner of a 2008 Chevy Equinox LT, I bought this car used from Ourisman Chevrolet in 2010 with 38,000 miles on it. 1 day after purchase the car tires kept going flat. First the right front passenger, 2 days later the left rear went flat. The dealership replaced both. My wife loves this car it made us through DC winter snow without any issues. Then at 43 thousand miles the car start having unforeseen issues. The Service Stabiltrax light came on during a trip to West Point New York. I got it to a dealer there and they could find no problem. They reset it and all was fine. I returned home and it came on again I went to the dealership they could find no problem (they said this sometimes happens on longer excessive driving ) {BS in my book} so they did a oil change and sent me on my way. 3 days later the car started dragging. I took it to the Ourisman Chevrolet dealership they found no problem. The next day I tried the DARCARS Chevrolet dealership again they found no problem they told me I needed and oil change (which I just did). I got fed up with the inept mechanics at my local dealers I decide to try the mechanic who works on my 2001 Dodge Durango. He found the right front caliper had seized up. Why the Dealerships didn’t find this is a mystery to me. I had him replace all the calipers and rotors and brake pads. The car drove fine. After 2 months the Stabilitrax light came back on then goes off . We started smelling a burning smell from the engine. I stop the car checked and found nothing. The next day it was raining heavy the ENGINE OVERHEATING alarm came on I stop the car shut it down car A tow truck my friend to take my wife and kids home. Had the car towed to the Ourisman Dealership which was the closest. They started the car and it was fine alarm free.

I picked up the car a was driving it home when it over heated again and immediately went to the power reduced status. I called my tow truck again and had it towed my local mechanic where he finds the wires to the cooling fans burned. Now its Local Mechanic 2 Dealerships 0. After this repair all was well until the morning of Tuesday February 21st 2012. I was on my way to work when the check engine light started to flash I made it to work , stop the car and noticed more smoke coming from the exhaust that in a James Bond Movie. I turned off the car. Tried to restart to no avail. I had the car towed direct to my mechanic . And as of now it is still there electrical issues and a blown head gasket. What kind of help can we car owners have in this situation. Since my car did have a warranty and everything is out of my pocket including the car note.

PLEASE ADVISE
    OUCH! Time for a trade in... :sick:
    Yes....2011. 14,000 miles with a six cyl...........zero problems of any kind so far..........Richard
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Be sure to change your oil religiously every 3k miles with GM's 3.0 or 3.6 liter engines. The timing chains have a tendency to stretch and results in a big repair bill if not covered under warranty. More in the attached link:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f53/acadia-3-6l-chain-stretch-98372/

I still prefer GM's old tech OHV V6 engines. Happy motoring.
  • pmgilbertpmgilbert Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2011 Chevy Equinox not to long ago and it has had some start noise. Really disturbing and embarassing. I brought it into the dealership and they replaced the cam sensors. However that did not fix the problem. It still has the same noise. The exact words of what the dealership told me that they got from GM is "No abnormal noise is heard. Tell me when a loud grinding noise is going on during start up that randomly shows up months after I buy the vehicle. How is that normal. I've contacted GM and am waiting back for a phone call about them possibly buying the equinox back. If they don't I don't know what my next steps would be. Some help please. Thank you
    I am sorry that somehow your post was missed when you made it last month - sometimes the tool we use to find posts doesn't catch everything, and I just saw this today. Have you made any progress since then?
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I'm sorry to hear about this concern on your new Equinox. Had you contacted us via email through the addresses on the forum? I am not certain that I saw an email come through for you, if you had. Or did you call the Customer Assistance Center?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • pmgilbertpmgilbert Member Posts: 2
    Could I get your emeal gmcustsvcsarah. It shows up private on the page that I bring up. My email is m_gilbert06@hotmail.com
    Has anyone had problems with the antenna on their nox? I just rip mine off, it hit the garage door. I have heard this is a problem area with the antenna's on the nox. I'm looking for a shorter one to elimate this problem. I heard the Traverse in a excellent choice, it is small in length and you still get the reception, the after market ones are not so good. :confuse:
    Well, since no one has reply, I'll update it. The dealer is ordering a shorter antenna that should take care of the problem...
  • justsum1justsum1 Member Posts: 3
    Just wondering if anyone has found a fix for the 4 to 5 second start up rattle noise? I really dont want them ripping my engine apart for no reason.