Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Lincoln MKX

ace44ace44 Member Posts: 7
Has anyone driven or seen the 2011 MKX yet? I was just wondering if Lincoln was going to have the new MKX available before their summer sales incentive ends Sept. 7th?

Comments

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    They're arriving at dealers now, but I doubt the 2011 model will be eligible for the summer sales incenctives.
  • clcrclcr Member Posts: 14
    Sat in one today in San Antonio - They arrived yesterday and we were told that two had already been sold off the lot....not previous orders.
  • ace44ace44 Member Posts: 7
    Cool. Can you share any impressions you had about it? I'm in GA. Who knows when I will see one here. Probably later this month.
    Hi Ace44 - I will be happy to share - They had colors black, red and brown (earth)
    that we were able to see. The others were probably in service. Elegant styling,
    very comfortable seating to us. Easy access to controls. Nose looks like a
    buzzard's beak - have to get used to that. We loved the olive ash wood trim. The top of dash looks to be ALL LEATHER. Good cargo space. Out of 10, my husband and I would give it a 9. All in all, we think it is a winner! P.S.- my husband said he thinks the nose is sharp!
  • scubadoo777scubadoo777 Member Posts: 6
    I test drove an MKX yesterday, the front wheel drive version. I loved the appearance - so different from the Ford Edge "generic box". I was completely wowed by all the new technology!!! The model I drove had the Elite pkg that includes BLIS - the side radar feature. The side mirrors indicate whether someone is in your blind spot with a small orange light. I connected my new iphone using bluetooth and was amazed by what you can do with SYNC - you can generate a WiFi signal that you can use to connect your laptop. LOVED the cruise control - set it and you can set and maintain your following distance from the car ahead of you.
    The perforated leather interior was really chic in light stone. Noticed they threw out a small $1k incentive today on the website.
    I test drove an MKX yesterday, the front wheel drive version. I loved the appearance - so different from the Ford Edge "generic box". I was completely wowed by all the new technology!!! The model I drove had the Elite pkg that includes BLIS - the side radar feature. The side mirrors indicate whether someone is in your blind spot with a small orange light. I connected my new iphone using bluetooth and was amazed by what you can do with SYNC - you can generate a WiFi signal that you can use to connect your laptop. LOVED the cruise control - set it and you can set and maintain your following distance from the car ahead of you.
    The perforated leather interior was really chic in light stone. Noticed they threw out a small $1k incentive today on the website.
    Sounds great. It seems that my local dealer may have one on the lot. I may try to go take a look at it this week. Thanks for your impressions. I'm definitely looking for something with comfortable seats and user friendly technology (Sync).
    WOW is right - you are so lucky to have driven one. We ordered one a couple
    months ago and it should be produced the week of Sept. 20th. Probably get
    it sometime around the first of October. I kinda wish we would have gotten the
    Elite Pkg. because of the blind spot. We are getting the Premium. Did the one you test drove have olive ash wood trim? What was the exterior color?
    I kinda wish we would have gotten the
    Elite Pkg. because of the blind spot.

There is no such thing as a blind spot if you adjust your mirrors correctly and glance over your shoulder.
    No, haven't seen the wood trim. They are asking about $450 for that, and I loved the interior without it. I drove a silver one. I gulped at the price for the Elite pkg, but it adds some very nice features. Still less than the Acura MDX with similar blind spot radar feature - listed at $52k.
    There is no such thing as a blind spot if you adjust your mirrors correctly and glance over your shoulder.

Yes, but as you glance over your shoulder you are taking your eyes off the road in front of you. It is scary to be changing lanes, only to be startled by a small car on my right side.
    Only for half a second. Even with the BLIS system you should still glance over your shoulder. There is no guarantee that it will work every time.
    I always look in the mirror to see if anyone is coming - just thought the Bliss feature would have been nice, but not really necessary since I always use the mirror and
    look further back to see if anyone is coming. Most of my "blind" spots are inside the vehicle when I want to back up. I can hardly see out the back. It will be nice to
    have the back-up camera and the sensing. Should have my MKX in October sometime.
    I did a test on the way home. I let a car pass me on the left and watched the mirrors. When it left the rear view mirror it was well within the side mirror. When it left the side mirror I could see the front of the car out of the driver's window - without having to look back at all. But most people don't adjust their mirrors correctly.

I'm not saying BLIS is bad or you shouldn't get it. Having a backup is never a bad thing. But don't try to say you need it or imply that it's unsafe without it.
    Blis is something I would really like to have. I have driven an 01 Pathfinder for the last 10 years. I'm definitely ready for an upgrade and a cushier ... less trucky ride. I have my side mirrors adjusted so that I get more road/traffic view than the side of my car. It works great but there have been times when with the higher ride height of the suv, smaller cars coming up on the right side of my vehicle aren't seen until they get far up enough to be seen in the mirror.

I spoke with my local Lincoln dealer today and they have a new 2011 MKX they are using for demo purposes only. So I should be able to shedule a test drive sometime this week. Crazy schedule so we'll see ... soon maybe.

I'm also looking at the new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. There isn't an overland near me yet, only limiteds and laredos. I sat in a limited and they are pretty nice I must say. You definitely get more bang for your buck on the jeep. My concerns are that (a) its a jeep and (b) is that it will still feel like I'm driving a truck. Also features like Blis aren't availble until something like December. So if I order a jeep it will be probably like February before I could get it with all the features I would like it to have.

Its great that there are so many more choices these days. When I bought my Pathfinder the field of suvs were much narrower and crossovers were just beginning to emerge.
    Don't forget the new MyTouch interface - that blows away everybody including the imports. And I would expect the MKX to ride much better.
    The new My Touch technology is what first drew me to even consider a Lincoln. (My husband and I are gadget geeks.) I was looking at a Lexus RX350 but I absolutely hate the their console technology. Lexus and honestly all other brands are way behind Ford in that department.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Zen of Adjusting Your Side Mirrors may help with visibility issues.
    Thanks Steve. I'll have to let Gary (lateralg) know he's famous!
    My husband and I finally got our hands on an MKX this weekend. We had a blast driving this car!

Things I liked:
    Its very luxurious and quiet. Everything you touch inside the car exudes quality and luxury. I really liked the seats. Out of all the suv’s I have test driven (Audi, Lexus, Infiniti, Murano, 2011 Grand Cherokee … the Lincoln is the most comfortable. I love the steering wheel controls and the functions they control. Loved the voice command system. But THE best part is 305 horsies that make pulling out into the road very quick. Great engine power. Loved everything about it with only a few exceptions.

The things I did not necessarily like:
    The blinker is kind of weird, the center storage armrest is a bit high. Steering doesn’t respond as quickly as I would like. My Lincoln Touch would take some getting used to. It is an incredible system and I really like it, but it was a bit harder to use than I expected. The slider bars while extremely cool, make it difficult to get a precise level on the audio volume and fan speed. There would be a bit of a learning curve I am sure for all the advanced technology on this vehicle. Also, the bulbous nose and grill on the front definitely make a statement.

I have pretty much narrowed my top choices down to the MKX and I’m going to take another test drive of the Lexus RX 350 just to make sure which one I like the best. There are pros and cons to each one. I don’t really care for my local area Lincoln service centers and Lexus has a primo service center where you really get the full luxury treatment.

In my family we buy new and drive it for a long time. I’m coming up on 10 years on my ’01 Pathfinder. Its been a great vehicle to own, never had a days trouble and I want that same quality experience for the next 10 years.

Has anyone out there done a similar comparison or can you share past ownership experience with either the Lexus or the MKX?
    edited September 2010
    Hi Ace44 - Thank you so much for the review of your test drive of the new MKX. My husband and I did the same thing (test drive) and I loved it. I think it will take me some time to learn the My Lincoln, but it will be great when I do learn it. The only thing that I was concerned about is my husband has very long legs and the seat could have gone back a little more. His leg hits the console, but he said all cars cause him the same problem. That's why he has a truck. We ordered an MKX back in July and should be getting it sometime in October. I am very excited and looking forward to getting my first Lincoln. The only other crossover we test drove was the Cadillac SRX - I didn't feel like it was as comfortable as the MKX. There is more headroom in the MKX. Let us know your decision when you try the Lexus.
    I drove the Lexus RX 350 yesterday and I am going to go drive the Lincoln again today. I really like how the Lexus drives and handles. Its very comfortable and I felt very confident driving it from the get go. However, compared to the technology of the My Lincoln Touch, the technology of the Lexus is outdated the day you buy it. The "mouse" controller is just something I'm not sure I could live with. I don't know why they didn't just designate a button on the steering wheel like Infiniti and now also Ford and Lincoln.

While the Lexus is a luxury car and it is really nice, there were some things that did not feel high quality. When I shut the door getting in it felt like the door rattled. I noticed the same thing when I got out of the car and closed the door. That shouldn't happen on a Lexus. Also there was considerable engine noise inside the cabin. That also shouldn't happen on a Lexus. So far, the Lincoln was quieter and felt like a more solid, quality vehicle compared to the Lexus.

Getting closer and leaning heavily in favor of the MKX! :shades:
    Most people prefer the handling of the MKX over the RX350 which I've heard tends to be a little mushy. But that's really personal preference so if you've driven them both then that's for you to decide.
    I haven't driven the Lexus RX 350, but I have a 2009 Toyota Venza that I am trading in for the MKX. No comparison. I read last night where you can voice command the temperature by saying "warmer" "up temperature" or say the number you want. I wasn't aware that it had this feature. I have a lot to learn about the technology.

I felt very comfortable in the MKX when I did a test drive. I can't believe how quiet it was on the inside. I have been reading some of the test drives and most are very positive. I am getting the premium stone leather seats with the olive ash wood. Another reason I haven't driven the Lexus is that the dealership is 60 miles away.
  • loganross2001loganross2001 Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2010
    Howdy,
    I currently lease an '08 MKX. It was time to upgrade. Was going to either get the '11 GC Overland or the '11 MKX. The GC is a great car and I have owned one of each generation of the GC. However with two kids, the MKX is easier to get in and out of for them and its roomier inside too. Also, the cabin tech in the GC is lousy (at least compared to Ford's). Nevertheless, I almost wasn't going to get the new MKX because I hate the nose!!!!, but it is manageable in silver, white, or black - just not the other colors. When it comes to Ford, they have some really nice designs, but at the same time they can be king of "Cheesy Bling". This brings me to my second point which may be helpful to you if you are adverse to Cheesy Bling. There is a way around the 20" chrome-clad wheels you get stuck with when selecting the Elite package. You can select the Premium Package and then add individual options to get you everything the Elite package has except for Blis and those chrome-clad "hubcaps" :) Instead, you get to keep the elegant 18" polished aluminum wheels. The combination of the right color and 18" wheels makes it a very good looking car. I ordered Black with the Canyon Interior. I prefer colors to black or white cars, but the MKX in black (its a very very metallic black) is elegant and helps tame the extremes in the design. Hope this helps!

BTW, when I bought my '08, you could order the top "elite" package and receive a credit for subtracting the chrome-clad wheels. The same was not possible when ordering the '11.
    My dealer has two 2011's - one black and one white. Both are really pretty. I think you will be happy with the black - the chrome really stands out. The nose has a way of growing on you - I am sure it will get a lot of attention. Mine is in production now - Hope I will get it soon. I ordered the premium package because I didn't want the sunroof, but wanted the back-up camera. I ordered the Navigation System and the THX sound system. I like the 18" wheels better than the 20's. Both vehicles at the dealership are 20's. Did they give you an estimate about when you would be getting it?
    Not sure when it is coming in. I suspect mid to late November. How long did it take for yours to come in?
    Yes, the dealers typically stock either the plain 101A package or the 102A package (which has the hideous hubcaps). Thus I had no choice but to order the car I wanted: 101A Package, NAV/THX; Wood Package, Moon Roof, and Adaptive Cruise Control.

I also saw the Limited Edition package with the bronze metallic seats....and they are not kidding....it looks like they took a can a spray paint and went hog wild :) LOL....not for me :)

All kidding aside, I liked owning the '08 and the '11 will be great also. Quite frankly, given Lincoln's amazing residual value (63% for 24 months) and low interest rate (0.25% for 24 months), even if I wanted a GC I could never have justified paying $150/month more for a car that costs almost $10k less.

Finally, I have to give Ford KUDOS for building quality, safe, fuel efficient, tech advanced cars and not trying to base their entire identify on replicating Japanese and German cars (the way GM and Chrysler do). I had to give them props and so here I am buying another MKX :)
    I ordered it in July, but I think they were only taking orders then. It is in production
    now - was supposed to be produced the week of the 20th, so I will call back
    on Friday to see the status. I have been trying to find a video test drive report,
    but haven't found one yet. I believe Edmunds has videos on cars. Guess it is
    too early. We went ahead and got the FWD because the gas mileage is better -
    up to 26 mpg which is good for a car this size.
    edited September 2010
    I was told that the car would be in production Sept. 20th. I called again today and it's still in production. Does anyone know how many days it takes to make a car? The two MKX vehicles that were at my dealers last week are gone! I would have thought they would have produced customer orders ASAP. I guess they have to get the dealers cars to them first. Guess I am just too anxious!
  • harmonysrqharmonysrq Member Posts: 4
    On Sat I visited one Sarasota FL dealer who had one blue 2011 MKX, really nice (I think i like the old grille better, but I can get used to it because of all the new synch/voice technology) it is pretty much a base model. My prob is that the base price has gone up so much since 2007 and I am trying to get into the same lease deal I have now on my red 2007 MKX which is up next month. I have perfect credit with ford and hope i get some customer loyalty points, but I have No cash down and need to keep my $400 month payments. I will have to rely on rebates and special programs for the cash due at signing which dealer said i should wait for Nov 11 2010. does anyone know what the deal will be? thanks I love the car. My lease buyout on 2007 is under $18,000 and I only have 26,500 miles on it. Was thinking of buying it but really want a new one.....
    Nobody - not even the dealers - know what the new incentives will be until they're announced by Ford. I've never seen anyone with leaked incentive information. They must guard that stuff more closely than the nuclear launch codes.
    I just picked up my wonderful MKX Saturday - We got $1,500 off that we didn't
    know we would be getting - it was a rebate. Lots to learn about the My Touch.
  • ekc03ekc03 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have information on the production hold on MKX 20" wheels? I think the hold when into effect in early November 2010.
    edited February 2011
    IL Track Tested: 2011 Lincoln MKX (Straightline)

"The 2011 Lincoln MKX has reimagined the crossover as a freight train -- and we mean that in the best way possible -- with the new winged grille."

• gforsythgforsyth Member Posts: 3
    Be careful if you purchase an MKX with the heated and vented seats. Be sure and give it a good test ride for comfort. On mine, they did not put enough padding on the seating surface and I am sitting directly on the seat motor controls. Dealer will not touch it and Lincoln Customer Care says it part of the design and will not touch it. Don't get stuck with a $50,000 pain in the butt like I did.....believe me, Lincoln will not correct it.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,700
    Have you tested other similarly-equipped MKXs? Is yours different from them? If so, you have a legitimate complaint. Our is not cushy, that's very true, but not different.
    Yes, I've sat in several, but unfortunately after I had purchased mine in Jan. and immediately headed for Florida the following day. The similar ones I sat in had the same problems and both a Ford & Lincoln Rep agreed with me that they had a problem. The one I test rode did not have all the 10-way gadgets in the seat so was very comfortable, but I needed one with all the bells and whistles, so the dealer got one from Syracuse and I hopped in it and left the next day. Sure wish I hadn't left in such a hurry. Guess I'm going to have to go viral on them.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Really have no experience with the seats and I know that one should try out the type of seat one will get and not depend on the feel of the seat from a different version. But if true, is it really too much to expect that the uplevel version with multiple adjustments would be as comfortable as the cheaper version? Jeez, how many different seats to you have to test drive?
    I think the problem is with the heated/cooled seats and the stuff needed to allow the air to flow. The non-cooled seats would be softer, I believe. But if all seats like yours are the same, then you'll have a problem getting anything done, since they all come that way.
    edited May 2011
    I suspect the cooling function will prevent an auto upholsterer from adding any meaningful foam to the seats too (although it would be worth asking).

I think I saw that your dealer did offer to try to augment the padding over in your Edmunds Answers post and then changed his mind, Gforsyth?
    I think they have to be really careful not to interfere with the airbag sensors in the seats. Liability issues I would assume.
    Ya, that too.
    Since Lincoln will not admit that there is a fix for their seat problem, I'm sure that they will not issue any Technical Service Bulletins. My question is how do I get a TSB issued. Is there another automotive ombudsman per se that I can turn to before I torch this POS?
    Think about it. A TSB is for a recognised problem that they think serious enough to have developed a fix for. Obviously they don't believe there is a problem so why should they investigate a fix or issue a TSB? To my knowledge there is no authority that steps in for comfort issues. I have not seen here or in other Lincoln forums any groundswell of comments that the seats were that big of issue.
    edited June 2011
    Some TSBs aren't even for serious problems:

"Service bulletin content varies in severity - you'll find TSBs that cover hard-to-start engines and clunking transmissions alongside those that offer remedies for inoperable cigarette lighters and slight paint imperfections. And some TSBs merely outline updated service procedures and troubleshooting strategies, or offer hints for installing something as simple as a front license plate holder."

How Can a Technical Service Bulletin Help Me?

You could always try Unwinding the Deal I suppose, Gforsyth.
    I don't think there's much leverage here, but maybe an option would be to trade the MKX for another Lincoln. My MKZ has cooled seats, but they're much less stiff than those on the MKX. See if the dealer will work with you.
  • apdxykapdxyk Member Posts: 6
    Hello,
    Is there any demonstrable correlation with ride quality, please? My primary application is highway, and a lot of it. And I am spoiled by RWD and comfortable cars. Seems like I don't want 20" wheels and rather stick to 18". Or am I wrong?
    Thank you in advance.
    18s should be a little better but there's not a huge difference.
    Yes, definitely get the 18s if ride is your top priority, they'll be a bit better. We have the 20s, they're fine, but we're used to a firm ride.