Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Impala "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" message

Comments

• pissedoff14pissedoff14 Member Posts: 8
    whats the name of this petition so i can sign
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    mrasco1,
    I apologize for your frustrations and inconvenience. Have you spoke with GM Customer Assistance? Can you please email me with your VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and complete contact information including mailing address? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Ok well I'm hoping that my issue is resolved. We repalced the starter and my car started right up my husband will drive the car for a week to assure the proble is solved. the part is not that expensive. Hope this helps those that need some relief on the outragous repair prices. i will keep you posted on how things are going. Good Luck!
    Try having your starter replaced it worked for my car and i haven't had no problem. but ill repost next week to assure you. Good luck!
  • jessielee1jessielee1 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2012
    I bought my 2008 Impala on December 15 2012 and exactly 3 months later is the first time the engine power is reduced light came on, I took it to the dealer and the said it was the throttle pedal assembly so I had it replaced, two weeks later the light came on again. This time they said it was a pinched wire and that although it wasn't covered under warranty they would replace it as a courtesy. Then in June I was involved in an accidents and the light came on again, this time they said the computer was jarred so they rest it. Then yesterday I was sitting at a stop sign waiting to turn and when I went to accelerate my car stalled in the middle of the road and a car coming off the bridge almost smashed into my. I had my 3 small children in the car with me at the time so it was very scary so i decided to turn around and go home in which it stalled out on me 4 more times within 5 miles. I am a single mother of 3 and dont have all this extra money to be putting into problems with a new car that you would think should be covered under warranty. This issue is obviously endangering alot of people, when is something going to be done
  • crash76ercrash76er Member Posts: 3
    Jessielee, you should send a message to rmasco1 the GM customer service rep so they can get more documented info for this problem. :)
  • crash76ercrash76er Member Posts: 3
    Correction, that's mrasco1. Sorry :)
  • jessielee1jessielee1 Member Posts: 2
    Where do I go to do that?
    Jessielee1,
    If you are experiencing concerns and would like to contact GM Customer Service you can email us directly at [email protected]. The only GM Customer Service Representatives on this forum at this time are me and gmcustsvcsarah. I hope this information helps.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    mrasco1 is just a vehicle owner, not a representative of GM. That member won't have any idea what you're talking about if you email him/her. Post above mine has the email to contact the GM customer service reps who post here: [email protected]

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ajaywillajaywill Member Posts: 3
    I just got the service traction control and reduced engine power messages on my way to work this morning. Fortunately for me, there was no noticable reduction in speed as others have described. I have a 2011 Impala LT, bought used approx two months ago from a local dealer with just over 40K miles on it currently. Since this seems to be a known issue with this vehicle, I will take it back to the dealership and ask that it be repaired at no cost to me.
    I also have noticed an issue when using the cruise control that the vehicle will pick up excessive speed when the CC is engaged and traveling down hill....up to an beyond 20 mph over the CC setting. Since this seems to be a throttle/sensor issue, I'm wondering if it could be related. Have any of you experienced this with the CC as well?
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning ajaywill,

Christina, my coworker, has received your email and if she hasn't already responded to it will be doing so soon.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I experienced the same issue about a week and a half and we where told it was the starter. however we replaced it and i haven't had a issue so far please try that and see if it helps any. One thing for sure they need to do a recall on these issues before someone is hurt.
  • tracybrowntracybrown Member Posts: 1
    It is your accelerator pedal assembly sensors. I had the same problem and had the throttle body assembly changed and that did not fix the problem so I took it back to the mechanic and it was the accelerator pedal sensors. They are 2 sensors that work together and relay an incorrect message for acceleration. I had it fixed in February 2012 and have not had a problem with that since. I hope this helps you.
  • kpalakpala Member Posts: 1
    Hi I am also experiencing this problem on my 2010 impala . I have close to the same miles as well 50,800. Did the dealership cover this under your powertrain warranty ? How much did it cost you out of pocket ( if you don't mind me asking ) ? Are you still having problems since this post ? Did they say why this happens , is it a recall ? Please respond I'm trying to get an idea of what I should look forward to when getting my car fixed this week. Thank you so much
    Good morning kpala,

We would be happy to check for open recalls and be available to you throughout the process of working with your dealership. Please contact us via email at [email protected] if you're interested (include the last 8 digits of your VIN and contact information and we'll go from there depending on what you would like assistance with).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • puddahpuddah Member Posts: 2
    If too many of us that are owners of chevy Impala have the same issue why is it not considered a recall. I am a 2 week owner of a 2009 chevy Impala and my car shut down on me while driving on the highway it was the grace of God that my children and friend that were in the car made it safely to a nearby gas station. Thanks to my quick fast action to have it cost to the access road. The car would not start I am so disappointed in the what I've read here and experiencing it .. what will be done about this issue.. concerned owner..
  • puddahpuddah Member Posts: 2
    I am a 2 wk owner of a chevy Impala 2009 I experienced the same thing this afternoon the car shut off on me while driving. I had my children and a family friend in the vehicle on our way to chuck e cheese. I had to think quick and fast so we would not be in a car collision. I am totally disappointed at all the reviews that are the same and it is not a recall. This has become a safety issue. I have anxiety thinking when will the car shut off again without moment notice because of faulty sensors.. I received traction control and reduce engine power and service throttle starting disabled. OMG i do not want your standard reply to reach out to you guys take to nearest gm dealer .. can we get a recall.... I think I should have stayed with non american cars...
  • lil100lil100 Member Posts: 12
    I too have experienced that today. Plain and simple this is a safety issue that GM is aware of based on this blog and forum. I was on Highway 401 today heading to Trenton, ONtario. I was doing 100kms and it went down to 40kms in a matter of minutes. I was very lucky that there was no one behind me. My screen read traction control and reduce engine power. I brought it to my nearest GM dealer. The young lad was very nice. Took all my info, etc. Called me back with the amount for the repair. I asked if there was a recall. I thought it was strange. So I searched on the internet and stumbled across this site. I called GM immediately 1-800#. They are investigating with my dealer. I explained to the girl that this is dangerous and should be recalled. She said she would get back to me by Friday am. I think it maybe just brushed under the rug. I hope it's not a standard response that we get. It's very dangerous and someone is going to be hurt because of this because it happens so suddenly. :confuse:
    Well I got my call back. All the dealership will do is give me 10% off my bill. Head Office - thought that was a solution. They just don't get the drop speed on the highway. So I called Transportation Canada they will investigate but apparently I was the only one that has put in a complaint about this issue. Which I find odd since there is so much on this blog. Since there is only one report - they said it was interesting. So they said they will follow up some how but unless there is other cases documented I don't feel anything will come of it. If someone did hit me from behind - I think more would be done. Unless until someone is hurt - nothing will be done. :confuse:
  • joliejolie0930joliejolie0930 Member Posts: 1
    I just experienced this last night in my 2011 Chevy Impala LT with 47,000 miles on it. Is anyone having luck getting this known issue fixed? Is it covered under the powertrain warranty? I just bought this car less than a year ago and don't have the money to put out for these kind of repairs when it's a known problem and a quick google search pops back many links to this kind of issue with Impalas. Just looking for all I can find before arriving at the dealer tomorrow morning first thing!
    Mine was not covered under warranty. If it was the transmission yes. Warranties might be different in the states. I called GM only a 10% reduction. It's alot of money anyways. Had to cancel a trip but that's life. My car is my income - sales person. Unfortunately no one seems to understand the safety issue in this. If I were you - I would call General Motors head office and complain. Also, call transportation highways - more complaints the more apt they are to investigate for recall. Also a letter to the better business bureau. All documentation helps. I got the feeling if there is no one getting hurt. There would be nothing done. :sick:
    edited September 2012
    joliejolie0930,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns and questions. Can you please email me directly so I can look into this for you? Please include your complete contact information including mailing address, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer. I look forward to working with you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    [email protected]
    Just curious - why you didn't ask for any of my info when I posted on here?
    :D
    lil100,
    I understand. I was out of the office on Thursday and Friday (because I am working this weekend). Typically I am in the office 8AM-4:30PM Monday- Friday; however, when I am working the weekend it is different. I apologize for your frustrations.
    The best way to contact me is to send me an email directly. No need to wait to have one of us ask you, if you are experiencing a concern or have a question just send me an email with the information that I need (VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, contact information, and a brief description of your concerns) and I will do my best to be of assistance to your needs. I do apologize I didn't post to you. Thank you for your understanding.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    [email protected]
    I will send that tomorrow.
  • taedatiptaedatip Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    I own a 2009 Chevy Impala.Last night while driving over 75mph on I-95, the service traction control system message and reducing engine power light came on. I was traveling with my mom and three young children. I began to panic, but Thank God I was approaching a rest area. I purchased this car over a month ago, and am very disappointed. My previous car was a Mitsubishi,which I had for over six years before encountering major problems. I'm very grateful that we were not plowed over by on coming traffic. I was shocked to find all the complaints and that GM has not rectified the issue.
    We're glad that everybody is okay after the incident you described out on the freeway. If you were planning on working with your dealership to get this looked into and wanted for us to check into this further, please email us at [email protected] (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your preferred dealership).

• randyaporandyapo Member Posts: 4
    2009 Chevy Impala owner. Car ran good for the first couple of years I owned it. Then just recently it started throwing all four of these error messages. I was able to avoid a severe accident when the car totally died going 65 MPH on the interstate. Sat with it for 15 minutes and it started back up. After reading several messages and similar stories it leads me to believe the only reason Chevy will not issue a recall notice is due to monetary reasons.

As I read through some 19 pages on this site and several other posts on other websites, it's evident Chevy is raking in some serious dough on this fix. If you don't believe me, simply go through the posts on here and add up the amounts people have kindly posted. Just imagine how many people don't bother to look issues on the web, coupled with how many people don't even have internet and multiply that by *5. Seriously GM, get your crap together. This is a disaster waiting to happen. I bet if one of Upper Management had a loaner Impala and this happened to them, they'd take their customers a lot more serious. Simply Frusturated...
    Good afternoon randyapo,

We're glad that everybody's okay after the incident on the highway you've described. As we have to work with each situation on an individual basis, we're happy to look into the concerns you're having if you would like to send us an email at [email protected] with the following information: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership.

here is the response from the Better Business Bureau - I gather unless someone get hurts or more complaints are made. NOthing will be done. How unfortunate.

Complaint ID#: 1262430
    Business Name: General Motors of Canada Limited

Thank you for the information you provided regarding the above-mentioned company. Your correspondence was received by your BBB on September 24, 2012 and has been assigned case# 1262430 in our files.

We appreciate your effort in bringing this to our attention. Information from the public is always valuable to us.

The correspondence you supplied will become part of your BBB's file on the business however, we will not be pursuing this matter as a formal complaint.

Either you have not supplied a specific resolution, requested that the BBB reprimand a business, you are only seeking an apology or the company has already made a reasonable effort to resolve this matter. We also do not act on copies of letters nor do we request a company go against their policies.

A summary of this case can be viewed by clicking here

Sincerely,

Teresa Smith
    Complaint Administrator
    BBB Complaint Department
    [email protected]
    Lil,
    Thank you for taking the time to email me with your concerns. I apologize fo ryour frustrations and inconvenience. Due to your location you will need to contact GM of Canada at 800-263-3777 (Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST). I hope this information helps.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service

This is the response to GM from this site. In my notes I had already contact GM in Canada. Unfortunately nothing will be done until someone gets hurts which is so unfortunate.
  • debo6debo6 Member Posts: 5
    I submitted a compliant with NHTSA-1-888-327-4236
  • debo6debo6 Member Posts: 5
    I submitted a compliant to NHTSA -1888-327-4236. If enough people complain,GM will have to repair this problem at their expense. Please call and file a complaint.
    I submitted a complaint to transport Canada. I have heard nothing. Going to follow up at the end of the week.
  • janet101janet101 Member Posts: 1
    Please help! I started having this issue beginning of summer and just hearing it can stall at anytime is making me not want to drive my vehicle,which is my only source of transportation. My engine redue power message comes on and it starts to hesitate,believe the next thing it will cut off. Someone from GM need to stop saying "glad nobody was hurt" and fix the problem. I cannot afford to keep getting an incorrect diagnosis-Can someone help me and let me know what they found..the other messages seem so conflicting
    Janet101,

From the many, many messages/posts I've read, it appears to be a failed sensor in the gas pedal. I've also done some extensive research on replacement parts. So far Carquest appears to be the cheapest at around $50 dollars. O'Reilly's has them for about $55 and AutoZone wanted $73. I'm picking mine up today and installing it myself. It's a simple fix and can be done with limited automotive experience. There are two bolts(10MM) and a clip for the wire harness. So you will need a screwdriver and wrench w/ a socket. I also found a helpful video on Youtube you can watch before. Just search on changing or diagnosing error code P2138 for Chevy Impala.

It is in my very own opinion that Chevrolet only wants to appear to be interested in the numerous complaints their many loyal customers have presented to them. I'm taking action and making the fix myself. I'm a single father of 4 young kids and my car is our sole source of transportation. I absolutely hate the fact I fear for their lives and any other drivers we encounter on the road, not knowing if my Chevy IMPALA will stall out yet again and hit someone or something. For now on, I will tell everyone my story and buy Ford, Mazda, Toyota or another maker.
    Hi janet101,

If you had wanted for us to look into this further with you and your dealership, please contact us via email at [email protected] (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

As I look at entry after entry. GM Customer SErvice just gives the standard statement - send us a direct e-mail and we will look into it. And yet nothing is done.

If it's only a $50 part and obviously GM is aware of the problem. Why not recall it and save someone from being hurt.
  • lupe67lupe67 Member Posts: 1
    I just got a Traction control stabilization message with a Reduced engine power message. Luckily it didn't stall like the other posts i was reading as i was on the freeway also. It is a 2010 Impala i bout exactly 1 year ago. It has 53,000 miles on it. I took it to the dealership this morning and waiting to hear back. I do have an extended warranty and i hope its covered. Can't afford $300-$400 in repair charges.
    Good morning lupe67,

Please keep us posted on the progress at your dealership on this reduced engine power concern with your Impala. We can be reached at [email protected] if you had wanted for us to look into anything further (include your name, contact information, the last 8 of your VIN, and the name of your dealership).

Just wanted to follow up with everyone on my progress. I purchased my new gas pedal on Tuesday, October 2nd. It took me about 20 minutes to install. I've now driven over 500 miles and have yet to have any of the errors, alarms, warnings; etc.. that were previously going off.

I'm very thankful to the person in this string of messages who actually stated what the issue was. Honestly, it is my own opinion that I have a totally different car. The acceleration, cruising speed and overall performance of the engine is night and day from the previous bad pedal. Not sure why but I'm not complaining :)

In the end, my advise to anyone who is having the same issues I had, go to a parts store and get yourself a pedal. They are between $50 and $75 dollars. It takes just a handful of minutes to replace and start enjoying your new stress' free impala. If anyone has any questions, please reply back to this post and I will gladly answer them.
  • irmacirmac Member Posts: 1
    Hi ust wanted to know if you could please tell me the exact name of the part, i need to replace it on my Impala so that i can stop getting these messages.
  • du1152du1152 Member Posts: 5
    Accelerator Pedal Sensor. O'Reilly Auto Parts have them for about $50.00. Some stores may have to order them in.
  • impalacrapimpalacrap Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with a 2009 .
    impalacrap,

Have you been working with your dealership to get this checked into? If so, and if you would like for us to follow up on your visit(s) with them, please send us an email with more information (including your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

All of us need to contact Transport Canada or Transport USA to put in reports. In Canada apparently I'm the only one. The more concerns they receive - they will investigate but until then - they will not take action. The car manufactureres are not the ones that put in a recall. So contact them and put in a report. Now - they can't do anything until someone gets hurt.
    :sick:
    How about stepping up and just tell people to bring their cars in and replace it. Obviously a defect in your manufacturing.
  • dasupadasupa Member Posts: 13
    Here is a youtube post about your problems! He doesn't actually fix it, but he does show that afterwards the car works. Also, there are other youtube posts that do show how to replace your gas pedal. It looks REALLY simple. I'm going to do mine right now. If the results are good, I'll report back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IagzHYB3GHo
  • dasupadasupa Member Posts: 13
    Hi all,

Here is my update to changing the gas pedal. First, it didn't work. Second, here were my symptoms:

-When I'm (a) stopped or (b) moving very slow, nothing happens for a bout 1-2 secs when I press the gas. No rpm's no nothing. Then it jerks to life in a violent way and gets moving.
    -When I'm coming to a stop and almost fully stopped, the car jerks (maybe from 2nd to 1st gear).
    -After driving for about and hr on the highway, my car sends a traction control alert and powers down the engine. Turning it off then on again has fixed this so far.
    -When I'm sitting at a stop sign, the rpm's are fluttering a little.

This sounded like the throttle body to me (which by change Chevy makes you buy the entire friggin thing if you need to fix the computer chip). But I wanted to avoid spending a lot of money. No luck though. The throttle body doesn't look too bad to change on my own. If anyone has any tips, I'd be glad to hear from you.