Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Impala "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" message

Comments

• behrcubbehrcub Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    :sick:
    I always research a problem to find the best solution. I have read page after page of posts from people who are experiencing the exact same problem and are finding little to no help from GM unless they hand over hundreds of dollars to their local Chevy dealer. This can't be good for the Impala brand. My car is also experiencing frequent engine lights, service stabilitrak, and reduced engine power messages. This causes rough shifting and very poor performance. I have a 2011 Impala LT with 67,500 miles on it. This car is too new to act this old. My old Toyota had fewer problems at 333,000 miles.
  • frenchy79frenchy79 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Chevy Impala and my car just started giving me the same issues. Did you get a solution from the dealers?
  • annoyed10annoyed10 Member Posts: 4
    Not yet, they diagnosed it as a bad throttle positioning sensor, and have ordered the part (and the corresponding gasket), but can't get it until Monday. I will hopefully pick up the car on Monday and have no more issues, we'll see. I will keep everyone posted on the cost and if it happens again.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Looking forward to hearing an update from you on how everything works after the sensor replacement, annoyed10.
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
    behrcub,
    We're sorry to hear that you're having troubles with your Impala. Are you planning on getting this checked into with a dealership?
    frenchy79,
    If you want for us to check into this further with you, please don't hesitate to contact us via email. We ask that you include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation.
  • txh0032txh0032 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2011 Chevy Impala Lt. with 31,000 miles on it. I was on my way to work when the Reduce Engine Light/Servce Stabilization Trac/Engine light came on. When you turn the car on , it sounds like a vacuum is on. I went to Advanced Auto where they ran a diagnostic on the car and told me that the (Throttle Position Sensor) was going bad (Codes-P20/21) and that this was a dealer part. I then went to Grays Chevy dealership and they told me that I would have to buy the whole Throttle assembly which would be ($399.00 plus tax) and with the labor, it would come out to $500 plus. I have a 100,000 powertrain warranty which I thought would be covered only to be informed that it wasn't.

I purchased the part and had it installed and for (1) day, the car sounded fine. The next day on the way to work, going up a hill the Reduce Engine Light/Servce Stabilization Trac/Engine light came on again.

I would really like to here what GM is doing about this problem that thousands of people are having with there chevy impala's. I figured if I bought a fairly new car, that I would not have to deal with these problems. I guess I was wrong
  • nighteagle79nighteagle79 Member Posts: 2
    I just had this happen to me also. Took it to my buddy that has a dealership. He said this is a common problem. It was a throttle positioning sensor kit. It was $110 for the kit. They installed the kit and cleaned up the throttle body and works great. No problems so far. I would hope that GM does do something about this so I can recover the money I spent but we will see.
    txh0032,

If you would like for us to look into this further with you, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

• maine2013maine2013 Member Posts: 1
    Ok is Chevy planning to own up to this???
    This is way to common issue for chevy to give a blind eye.
    I have a 2010 Chevy Impala and basically its falling apart like seriously 58000 its got so much electrical issues starting from airbag right to rear window defrost which was livable but now this Stability Trak that runs like I'm on a motor cross track and loss of power.
    I've always liked chevy but now I can't even stand to drive by a lot.
    We're sorry to hear that your Impala is having some difficulties, maine2013. If you would like for us to check into this further with you, please don't hesitate to email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (include your name and contact information, the lasdt 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • recallplsrecallpls Member Posts: 1
    Today as I was driving to work, I too saw a message on my cars dashboard that said "Low Engine Power" at that point my car started to drag and the engine light symbol stayed on.

After reading the several messages surrounding this issue. It appears that GM should insist upon a recall for this situation so that the consumer does not have to pay to get this corrected.
    recallpls,
    We're sorry that you've encountered this difficulty with your Impala. If you would like for us to check into this situation further with you, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    Hi, it's annoyed10 with an update. (see posts 311 and 314) Last time we met, the part was supposed to be in on Monday (throttle position sensor) and the service guy said they would look into having the job covered by chevy. Well, it is now Wednesday. The part has to be ordered from the manufacturer and I was told would not be in until Thursday, so I would not get the car back until Friday at the earliest. But, I could PAY EXTRA to have it overnighted, and have the car back for Wednesday. The cost (since it is NOT Covered) of this and Everything else would run between 300.00 and 350.00 depending on shipping charges for this small part. So, I call on Wednesday, NO PART, it is backordered and now they have to find one at another dealer who is willing to give it up. (Only God knows what that will cost me). Hmm, a small sensor, from a manufacturer that makes 10s of thousand of them, and they can't keep up with demand? Does anyone else see a problem with this defective system? Chevrolet/GM evidently doesn't see the problem, even though the messages on this board keep adding up, and this is just one forum on this. Supposedly, the part will be here on Friday, and the car will be fixed then. Tune in on Friday for the next installment of this soap opera.
  • taryn2013taryn2013 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2009 Chevy Impala and I am having the EXACT same issues as you are. My car was just in the shop yesterday (Chevy Dealer) and I paid around $700 total to fix this supposed issue.(Harness broken in left pedal & air bags were bad) The strange and fishy thing is that almost EVERY post I read has the same issues. My car left me stuck 2 times and also almost caused an accident. I have two children that also are in my car on a daily basis. I called GM they could care less. They try to smooze you with B/S. I am going to attempt to take this further. I thought I was buying a reliable car that would last me for the price I paid. ENTIRELY WRONG. My suggestion to anyone is GET RID OF IT NOW IF YOU CAN.
  • detroitgirl313detroitgirl313 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Chevy Impala LS and after my REDUCE ENGINE POWER light came on I came to this forum to get some feedback. I saw that this has been an ongoing problem for what looks like hundreds of Chevy owners. I've since had my sensor replaced for $25 by a mechanic I know. I paid $104.00 for the sensor (from dealer) but saw it online for about $70 (didn't have time to wait for deliver). I was told two different things about the throttle systems. One was that the whole thing had to be replaced and the other was that I needed to know if my system was one that allows you to remove the sensor separately. I decided to go to my guy in the end. Car running fine so far...had it done about a month ago and it took less than 15 minutes for him to do the work. Nevertheless, I'm a bit upset that it has not been a recall on this. Just saw a Ford vehichle problem just like this and a recall is expected. PLEASE POST RECALL IF IT HAPPENS SO I CAN GO GET MY MONEY BACK FOR THE PART! THANKS
  • kdh12389kdh12389 Member Posts: 5
    Ive called GMs customer service multiple times reguarding the issues with my car. They have done absolutely NOTHING to work with me to fix the problem. I asked why they werent doing a recall since so many people on here have the exact same issue, I was informed that this was most likely a false forum because if that many people were complaining there would be a recall issued.. So apparently GM thinks we are all crazy and could care less if (God forbid) anyone were killed or seriously injured in their vehicle. One thing for sure I will NEVER buy a Chevrolet again.
    We're glad to hear that everything's running well after the replacement, detroitgirl313! Keep us posted on this if anything should change (although we hope that everything's resolved for good!).

• uselessrepsuselessreps Member Posts: 4
    Really Sara,

How many times in the last two years you are going to investigate these claims?? the same Request over and over from GM is asked every time, after a 10000 or so complaints don't you think its time for GM to do something?? or maybe Sara you need to really stop feeding us this useless BS.

I too have this problem I replaced the pedal, the Trottle body the wheel sensors re seated all of the connections and every now and the the car goes into reduced power... My belief is there is a software problem that you guys cannot fix because its a expensive recall, I do know one thing If my family gets hurt in this car that you say does have problems.. I'll be sure to fire you first when I own it...
    French79, just got my impala back, they replaced the throttle positioning sensor, $340.00, (live in central PA, don't know what it will cost around the country) and it appears to be working, but it is only day one. I'll let you know if something happens. PS I ran the scenario through with my wife,(there are TOO many posts where this fix didn't work) so if it happens again with her, she will know what to expect/do.
  • jsmitty762jsmitty762 Member Posts: 1
    I am a canine officer and was issued a new 2009 Chevy Impala to replace a Ford Crown Vic canine vehicle.

This HUGE MISTAKE was made in the name of saving fuel. Turns out the 3.9 L engine is so underpowered when you add the extra weight of the kennel insert, dog, and gear, it actually gets worse fuel mileage than the Vic did with a V8 but I could go one for days about how the Vic is a better police vehicle than the Impala.

The real issue is a reoccurring problem that started at about 9000 miles. The service engine light comes on shortly followed by a message that says REDUCED ENGINE POWER. When this happens the vehicle will barely drag itself back to the Chevy garage.

Each time the Mechanics say the code shows a rich fuel mixture which is easily reset. Resetting the code temporarily hides the symptoms of a problem that is still unknown three years and 90,000 miles later.

The mechanics have done all they can including emailing engineers at GM for suggestions. The Engineers told them the problem is believed to be a “rare” software issue in the cars computer. I have been told that not even changing the computer would fix the problem because the same software would have to be uploaded in the new computer.

I would estimate that over the past three years I have had the vehicle in the shop approximately 50 times to have the code reset.

As I write this post the vehicle is currently in the shop waiting on the code to be reset with no solution in sight.

I got on this forum with a hope to assist the mechanics find a solution but after reading years worth of posts by other chevy customers it looks like thats not going to happen.

It looks like the problem is not as “rare” as the GM engineers let on. It also looks like GM has no answer to the problem except to have a PR person give a PC response to every post.

No offence Sara but don’t waste your time on this post. I made up my mind about the impala a long time ago. If GM really wanted to do right by their customers they would buy back these cars and replace them. Thank God I didn’t pay for this one, it’s the tax payers that are taken the hit with this one.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Sorry to hear about your problems with the Impala. GM should have given you better advice because this problem is either related to the throttle body or accelerator. Impala owners have posted many messages on this forum about how to fix this problem. Good luck.
    uselessreps,
    We do handle these complaints on a case-by-case basis at the customer service level. Our documentation is reviewed for trends and brand quality decisions are made by different departments. If we can look into your situation further to the extent of our abilities, please don't hesitate to contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

• safetyfirst83safetyfirst83 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2013
    Unfortunately, my experience was very similar to the other posts on this forum. I was driving on a busy road (traveling around 60mph) and all of a sudden my 2011 Chevy Impala started shaking tremendously and a message flashed "SERVICE STABILITRAK" "REDUCE POWER TO ENGINE";All while my speedometer is vastly decreasing. I was not able to accelerate at all and to pull over on the median. Again I'm on a busy road with other vehicles driving at least 60mph. I called Priority Chevrolet in Chesapeake, VA and the customer service rep assured me this would be covered under my warranty. At that point I was happy to get it fixed for free. However, when I arrived at my appointment, the rude and unprofessional manager fed me a different story. He said that it MAY be covered under my 5year/100K warrany but if not I would have to pay for the diagnostic test AND the cost of repairs and labor. After being very upset I left and will try another Chevy dealer very soon. If it is not covered under my warranty and I do have to pay for it, I will hesitantly do so. If I continue to have the problem, I will push as hard as I can to have this problem rectified via a recall. I will also report GM/Chevrolet to the BBB and any other consumer reporting agency for their apparent lack of concern for their customer's safety. Both my father and my brother love my car and wants to purchase one. Because of this problem, I cannot recommend this vehicle to them and anyone else at that matter. I could have seriously hurt myself. . .or worse. I could have seriously hurt someone else. . .or worse. GM needs to remedy this problem and soon. They also need to refund customers who had to pay out-of-pocket to have this problem fixed. Hopefully, this very serious will be fixed. Soon.
    safetyfirst83,
    It looks like you're already in contact with Customer Assistance on this matter. We hope that this will be able to resolved quickly and to your satisfaction! Looking forward to any updates.
  • safetyfirst83safetyfirst83 Member Posts: 2
    Sarah,

Did you read my entire posting? I had a very bad experience with a Chevrolet representative and you offer no apology or refer me to someone else I can explain my situation to? If you work directly with GM customer service, my posting should have been a red flag to you that service managers down the chain are not treating their customers with respect and concern. With all the negative postings you have received, are you relaying these vital safety concerns with GM management or are you mainly concerned with reporting to your superior that you replied to X number of complaint in a day? Sooner or later someone is going to get hurt due to this mechanical problem and with you knowing about it firsthand, should ensure that you are doing all within your power to make it known to GM officials.
    My apologies, safetyfirst83. I did read your post and see that you had been in contact with a customer service representative -- was this with our Customer Assistance Center or with the dealership? My assumption was that it was with the former, and I apologize if I assumed wrong. If you want for us to check into this further, please don't hesitate to contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a summary of the situation, or the case number you were issued when you contacted the Customer Assistance Center).
  • mimimelmimimel Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same issues. The airbag started a few mos back, the rear window defrost started a few weeks ago, the service traction control/ reduced engine power started when the roads were icy. I have dealt with it for a few mos. This morning I was driving like that and alert came on my steering was being disabled, and my car stopped. I tried to start it and nothing, I waited a few min and then it started and drove fine, has this happened to you. Thank you
  • kittymomkittymom Member Posts: 1
    My 2009 Chevy Impala LTZ with 41,000 had the service Stabilitrak warning come on and then immediately the 'reduced engine power' warning as I was pulling into the parking deck this morning to go to work. It scared me as I did not know what this meant. I went to my computer and put in the message and found this forum. My car is at the Chevy dealer right now. I asked if it was a warranty issue and they said they would have to check it first, they have no time to see to it today so I had to rent a car. After reading the forum, I was afraid to drive it to the dealer. My husband took it there. They are supposed to look at it early in the morning. My husband said it seemed fine when he drove it about 15 miles to the dealer except the engine light was on. With all of the complaints of the same problem on this forum, I do not understand why there has not been a recall. It is also disturbing to read that some had their cars 'fixed' and it happened again. Up to this point, I have been totally in love with this car. I travel a lot and wonder when I get the car back, is it really going to be 'fixed'.
    mimimel,
    What are you plans for getting this checked into? We're available to assist in the process of working with a dealership. Please let us know your plan of action and if we can be of any assistance.
    Sarah, GM customer Service
    Keep us posted on your progress with the dealership, kittymom. If we can be of any assistance, we can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the lasdt 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • kdh12389kdh12389 Member Posts: 5
    Since I have been in contact with customer service with no results I have began spreading the word about these cars and their problems. I feel everyone on here should do the same. It is so messed up that I have an 06 SS sitting outside as a yard ornament that costs me over $13,000 which I'm still paying payments on that I feel is not my responsibility to fix since so many others are having the EXACT SAME PROBLEM!!! Maybe once the word is out and Chevrolet starts losing money on these cars they will fix the problem!
  • rainsmomrainsmom Member Posts: 1
    Welp, I guess the inevitable happened to me tonight! Rolling along with my daughter and my dog and all of a sudden the car shakes and the reduced engine power light comes on! I am concerned because it is cold, dark and we were not close to home! I have a used car (2008) that I've only had
    a little over a year so, I am not happy! We made it home okay...but this is definitely an inconvenience!
    rainsmom,
    We're glad to hear that you made it home safely. Let us know if you're planning on working with a dealership to get this checked into at all as we're available to assist. We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • msgaither1msgaither1 Member Posts: 3
    My name is Junita Gaither I am a resident of Lancaster SC. I have had my 2009 Impala for one year and mine started with the "service traction control, engine power reduced".. It happened about 3 months ago but never came back on until last friday. I had my car looked by my uncle but he advised me to contact my dealer. I contacted Lancaster Motor Company and they told me I had to pay to have it looked at so I made an appointment for Saturday. .The problem is I am currently LAYING IN THE HOSPITAL because my car SHUT OFF ON ME.. THE WHEEL STARTED SHAKING I COULDN'T STOP. I WENT DOWN AN EMBANKMENT AND HIT A TREE..I AM FINE EXCEPT FOR CHEST AND HEAD INJURIES BUT MY FRIEND HAD A PANIC ATTACK AND IS IN MUCH MORE PAIN.. . If only I would have lolooked into this problem I could have had it traded in. Good thing God was on our side because we could have been KILLED today...
    **NEXT STEP...Please help me with the contact information because I will take this further..If any of you would like my contact information I will provide it because we have to work together to get this taken care of by GM..I COULD HAVE LOST MY LIFE..LET'S TAKE A STAND AGAINST THEM BECAUSE YOU ARE ALL OPERATING A HAZARD..THATIS NOT RIGHT.
    msgaither1,
    We're so very sorry about this incident. Have you contacted the Customer Assistance Center yet (800-222-1020)? We can also be reached via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

Kindest regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • roni8roni8 Member Posts: 1
    I too have started having this issue. Yesterday on my way to work, my 2008 Chevrolet Impala started slowing down and the REDUCED ENGINE POWER and SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL messages displayed. I then felt my rear tires spinning or something. I was afraid and didn't want to get on the highway so, I turned around and went back home. I dropped my car off at a GM dealer this morning and about an hour later they called me saying they would have to replace my accelerator pedal and rebuild the wire harness. The diagnostic they performed was $95 and the repairs they want to do is $910. After reading so many people having this same issue, it is unbelievable to me that there has not been a recall. We should not be responsible for this repair cost. I have not decided what I am going to do. I cannot afford $1000 car repair. I will be picking my car up in the morning and bringing it back home. I have no intentions of buying another GM car in the future if this is how they treat their customers.
    roni8,
    Are you already in touch with our Customer Assistance Center on this? If you would like for us to check into this further, please don't hesitate to email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

• littlegrayonelittlegrayone Member Posts: 6
    Take it to another dealer. I had mine fixed for $200 total at my local dealer. If you search on this form, you will find a link on how to repair it yourself. The part is about $100 and is a real easy fix. I discovered this after I had my car repaired. Since I had the accelerator pedal replaced, I have not had any problems with this issue.
  • pbar40pbar40 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same thing happen to my 2006 Chevrolet Impala last week The problem is with the Throttle Body, it needs to be replaced. If you continue to drive it with the engine power reduced message on it will eventially shut off the motor, and you will have to wait a few minutes before it will start. It was not very hard to replace and only took my mechanic about an hour to fix. The part cost me about $299.00 and the labor was $75.00 When I had the car tested when the engine light came on, the code was P0121 (Throttle Body Sensor) I hope this helps...
  • uselessrepsuselessreps Member Posts: 4
    This is where you start, If all of the forum users here start this process GM will have no other options but to investigate

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    VERY good idea. The reps who respond here can only report what they're seeing in our forums - they can't force an investigation or recall. Reporting the problem to the NHTSA is the best way to ensure that all similar complaints are in the same place.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I have contacted an attorney about this issue so they should be in contact with someone from GM thank you
  • kadurrokadurro Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2009 Chevrolet Impala and my car did the same thing last night on the way home. Without any warning my engine reduced speed and the dash said traction sensor and engine reducing speed. Scared me to death and thankful I wasn't on a frwy and on the feeder. After reading the form, I'm scared to drive the car and now wondering how I'm going to afford to get this fixed which should have been recalled. Contacted dealer and wasn't much help.
    kadurro,
    We're sorry that you are not feeling safe in your Impala. If you would like for us to look into this further, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    My 2009 Impala is in the shop now for the same reason, engine reduced speed while driving and service light came on saying CHECK TRACTION CONTROL. Mechanic said they have to replaced the throddle body and do some electrical and refiguring idle, costing me $667.47. Problem is I don't have the money and can't keep driving the car because it's a crap shoot if the engine is going to stop completely while I'm driving and then have no control of the car and end up dead... I called Chevrolet and the dealer, all I hear is not on a recall and sorry.
    I have the same problem with my 2009 Impala and is in the shop now, they are replacing the throddle body. I've contacted the dealer, chevrolet and sent an email to "sarah" from GM that replies back to complaints. Basically my problem and sorry. I am trying to figure out how I am going to pay this $667.47 mechanic bill... I sure don't see Obama bailing me out on something that should be been recalled alongtime ago. I am not taking chances with my life or passengers in the car and have to get it repaired, my only source of transportation and now on foot. Missed one day of work, got family member to take me to work, hopefully my car will be ready today.
  • quiwiqquiwiq Member Posts: 1
    I a 2006 Impala and the throttle body went out while I was driving I took it to the dealership to see what was wrong with it I had to replace and is still registering same thing the check engine light still coming onand the engine power reduced fine still comes on and still slow down the carand I know of other people who had the same problem Chevy really need to look into a recall.
    Let us know if we can check into this further at all, quiwiq. We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, mileage, and a summary of the situation).