Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Would you get a moonroof again?

onthego48onthego48 Member Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in Mazda
I've been reading the posts and I'm beginning to think a moonroof is not the way to go. Is anyone not having a problem with their moonroof leaking? I'm looking for a used 2010 and most have moonroofs. I don't want to be putting out $750 to replace a BCM from clogged drains after the initial warranty is over. I've read where someone had a leak even though they do not use the moonroof. Does an extended warranty cover problems/parts caused from a leaky moonroof, e.g., body control module? Help!!! I would appreciate your input. Looking to buy soon.

Comments

• cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    If you don't feel comfortable with moonroof, don't get it.
    I have had no issue with mine, though, for more than two years.
    I parked it under trees very often with moonroof popped up for ventilation.
  • onthego48onthego48 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for you help. 95% of the car I'm finding have moonroofs. I'm wondering if the owners are getting rid of these cars after a year with low mileage because of leakage problems. The ones with out a moonroof are all the way on the other side of the country and I would need to have them shipped to me. It would be worth the cost of shipping if I'm going to save in electrical repairs in the end. Major decision to make for the money spending.
  • c_rexc_rex Member Posts: 14
    Yes- Had my CX9 for two years now. Nary a leak from the sun/moon roof and I live in Seattle. If it were going to leak anywhere it'd be here. I would not however, pay for the crap [non-permissible content removed] navigation system put in my model year (2008). Don't know if that's changed. Sorry for the diversion.
  • wdhytewdhyte Member Posts: 92
    edited September 2010
    I haven't had any issues (knock wood of course) w/our 2009...the one thing I don't like is the loss of headroom and at 6'1"+ I can't bring the seat as far upright as I like w/o having my head brush the ceiling (my wife says its b/c I'm long waisted (odd term eh) and sit taller in the seat than most). We garage it all the time and its been in a few torrential downpours and I haven't noticed anything wonky with it electrically (like I've been reading in here that is).
    Now the mediocre BOSE system is another story! ;)
    That aside though, yeah, I'd get the moonroof again just the same...its very nice when the wx is cooperating
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    I've had no issues with the moonroof leaking after a year and the car is parked outside all the time. That said, I'm not so thrilled with the moonroof/bose package. The Bose stereo isn't great (is the base system any worse?) and the moonroof isn't exceptionally large. I do use it to vent out the car for a minute or two on hot days both otherwise it's shut 99% of the time.
  • wdhytewdhyte Member Posts: 92
    we've got the 09 w/the moonroof and its quite nice actually...I wasn't sold on it when we got it (it was my wifes request and she loves it/uses it all the time) and here in TX its a bit hot for summer use...but this time of year and spring its purty nice ;) ...so all in all I'd have to say yeah I'd get it again...haven't had any issues w/it (knock wood)...only thing is if you only crack it open (lift the rear vs sliding it open) its a tad noisy...the deflector may help that a bit. And you DO lose some head room because of the extra thickness of the overhead.
    ...Dave
This discussion has been closed.