Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Outback vs. Accord CrossTour

pcguyspcguys Member Posts: 24
The lease on my Subaru Tribeca is coming to an end, and I wanted something a bit better on gas.

The MotorTrend SUV of the year thing got my attention, and I am seriously considering the 2011 Outback.

Initially, I only considered the 6cyl because I've been driving 6 cyls for many years, and I didn't think I'd be happy with a 4 cyl.

I just test drove the 4 cyl Outback, in real world conditions, and it seemed fine.

I also just test drove the Accord CrossTour. It is soo pretty and upscale, and at $34,000 the MSRP is pretty darn close to a 6 cyl Outback (which is much more utilitarian and station wagon-y).

The Honda Dealer is offering $399 /month leases, no money down, 12k / year, including tax. That seems like an awesome price.

So, has anyone agonized between a crosstour and an outback like I am presently doing?

If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    $34K for a FWD hatchback with awful rear visibility?

An Outback can be had for less money (even 6-cylinder models), has a more useful and user-friendly cargo area, much better rear visibility, and a superior AWD system.

No thanks. I'll take an AWD 4-cylinder (or 6-cylinder) Outback wagon any day over the CrossTour. It's a simple choice for me.

Bob
  • pcguyspcguys Member Posts: 24
    Actually, it's

$34K for an AWD hatchback with awful rear visibility.

As for less money, I don't yet have a quote for the v6 outback (3 years, 12k/year, no money down).

Do you think it's less than $399 / month?

Mike
    The area that might potentially convince me is always on 4WD vs. on-demand 4WD.

Any idea about the handling characteristics between crosstour & outback?

specifically, if you gun a 6cyl outback, can you make it peel out?

Just curious,
    Mike
  • css1css1 Member Posts: 247
    That sounds too good to be true. I just plugged in the #'s on the web and it shot back $674 w/ $1200 down.

You probably will have to pay bank fee and first month up front.

Is this a 2010 loaner or demo?

I too, have a Tribeca lease ending in November.

The crosstour is not even on my long list. Very inefficient use of space in the rear.
    It will never be as secure as your tribeca. The Honda is FWD until the the wheels loose traction. with Subaru's 3.6 you ALWAYS have 2 wheels (one front/one back) moving the car.

But 399/mo - if you don't need AWD - is a great price.

Good luck

But at 399/mo -
    Here's a link to the honda advertised special lease:

http://automobiles.honda.com/current-offers-detail.aspx?ModelName=Accord+Crossto- ur

Take the $3,000 / 36 added to $249 = $332 plus tax.

The AWD model I was looking at was NOT a demo. The 2011's are not out yet, so everyone has 2010.

I got $399 &$410 at 2 different dealers, so it seems like that's the current honda lease deal.
    '
    BTW, what else have you looked at as a fellow Tribeca driver?

My requirements was 5 Stars / 5 Stars safety, which ruled out edge & nissan. I ruled out cx7 based on turbo lag and same terrible gas mileage.

I really have it down to only the outback 4 or 6 (not sure yet) or crosstour.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Mike,

The lease is for the base FWD car. What is the sell price that their figuring the lease on?

I've looked at the 11' Jeep Grand Cherokee - less room than the outback !
    also - the Audi Q5
    I'm also interested in the new BMW x3 - but that wont be out until January.

These are the only brands that have real full time AWD systems.

The only reason I even look at other brands is because Subaru does not have a lot of creature comforts..........push button start, cooled seats, 10 way power passenger seats..etc.
    However for cost of ownership, AWD, safety, and functionality Subaru can't be beat.
    You know, I can turn my own key.
    I'll stay with Subaru.

So should you.
    Yes, the deal on the honda site is for FWD, and yes, the AWD is more, but it's not like the FWD is over $400, and I'm getting quoted $400 for AWD.

What I've learned is dealer incentives can make a huge difference. One shouldn't exclude a car from consideration because the sticker price is more.

BTW, the AWD sticker is $34k.

I live in philly, and it's not like I do a ton of snow driving, so if the AWD is only on when it's needed, that doesn't sound soo terrible, especially if it saves a bit on gas.

-Mike
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    Mike, what is the rated fuel economy on the CrossTour? If you're wavering between the 4 and 6 cyl Subaru, the vastly superior fuel economy of the 4 should help sway your opinion! :P
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    OH, don't forget, If you leased through Subaru finance ,Subaru pays your first payment on your new lease up to $500, and waves the current lease termination fee of , I think $350.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Late to the party, can I join?

I was going to bring up fuel economy as well. Consumer Reports recently tested the V6 Accord and H6 Legacy, and surprise - the Subaru was more fuel efficient, even with the AWD handicap.

For me though, it's this: take a tape measure with you, and measure between the wheel wells. The CrossTour only give you 31" of cargo width. Even the compact Forester gives you 42". The Outback has a whopping 43" between them, a whole foot wider.

If the whole point is the great utility these things offer, why make major sacrifices in the cargo area? In fact while you're at it, measure an Accord sedan, I bet the cargo area is more useful.

You may also want to check out a CR-V/Forester, or Acura RD-X.
    "If the whole point is the great utility these things offer, why make major sacrifices in the cargo area? In fact while you're at it, measure an Accord sedan, I bet the cargo area is more useful."

Let's not forget the sloped roof that the CrossTour has. That could limit some large items being put back there; and again, the rear visibility of the CrossTour is terrible.

Speaking of which... the rear wiper becomes pretty a moonroof wiper, as that (upper) rear window is almost horizontal. Plus the lower rear window (below) the spoiler, is useless in the rain, as there is no wiper for it.

The design aft the C-pillar is very poor, and not well thought out.

Bob
    edited September 2010
    That's just it - if the cargo area is not well shaped, you may as well save a ton of cash and get the sedan and save both money and fuel.

You can't get AWD, though.

BTW, another option is the Venza, if you like cushy isolation.
    The Outback doesn't have a moonroof wiper! But the 2.5i does have a quadrozontal engine!

Hi guys, welcome to the party. how are you?

I may purchase rather than lease. That is why I'm considering other models. I will keep this for as long as it runs - which you know can be a long time.

Should I be waiting for 2012?

Charlie
    edited September 2010
    Hey Charlie! How's life treating you?

2012? I don't know. Rumor has it that at the Sydney Motor Show (next month), Subaru may be announcing something. Most people think it might be a Forester WRX, but I'm not so sure. Why? Because SOA recently sent at least one executive to Australia, for a 3,000-mile drive into the Outback—driving an Outback. Now why would they do that, with the current Outback only a year old?

My guess is it may be a stretched 7-passenger version, to replace the Tribeca. We'll know more in a few weeks. The show opens 10/15.

Bob
    I have time.

I think the new boxer 4 motor is going in the Outback. Either way the 3.6 has to get direct injection. It needs more HP to move a 7P car.

Charlie
    They're updating the Forester engine first, so I can't imagine the pricier Outback isn't far behind.
  • carmelbytheseacarmelbythesea Member Posts: 4
    I got pretty much the same numbers 390 and 410, 12-15k with no money down, 36 months, 29,000. I think it's the best numbers for that type of car that I've been offered and I think I'm going to go for it. I find I get a good price for the car but then the lease quotes throws me for a loop. What gives? Most are in the high 400's to high 500's but Honda's are very, very competive!
    I was about to pull the trigger on this great Honda Crosstour lease, but then I found out that:

The Honda Crosstour has the 2nd worst rating for roof strength in a roll over, failing to get the IIHS 'safe-pick' status:
    http://www.iihs.org/ratings/

Though the Honda leased great, it's now off my list.

Just wanted to let you know,
    Mike
    Wow, looks like the Element is the only Honda on that entire list! :surprise:
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Interesting list. Lots of Hondas on the 2009 list that didn't make the 2010 despite it being the same vehicle.

I presume the IIHS changed the criteria?
    Correct - they added the roof strength test.

All Subarus have performed well on that test, so every model was on the list in 2009 and remained on for 2010.

Exception - the fixed headrests on the WRX do not pass the rear impact tests because they lack the active headrests other models have.
    I saw a "real life" CrossTour for the first time yesterday morning on my way to work. My goodness! That car is as ugly on the back end as the Outback is on the front! Honda is good at ugly, and I think the CrossTour now tops their list.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • laurencesubarulaurencesubaru Member Posts: 1
    Hello all!!! If you have questions regarding the Crosstour vs the Outback, please let me know.

I currently work at Subaru in sales and have worked at Honda for four years selling as well.

I could give you a personal opinion as well having driven them on an almost daily basis.

Laurence
    edited September 2010
    My impression, from those who have driven both of them, is that the Honda drives better than the Outback (a bit more sporty) and has the usual excellent Honda attention to detail. However it loses points to the Outback in utilitarian terms (somewhat compromised cargo area), rear visibility, AWD, and price.

If you plan on doing any sort of off-pavement driving, the Outback is the clear choice; but that good off-road ability (more ground clearance) hurts it a little bit in terms of on-road driving. It's not that the Outback is bad on road, because it's not. It's just that the CrossTour is better. It's a shame that Subaru has stopped importing the Legacy wagon, as that model has the same advantages of the Outback, plus excellent on-road capability.

Bob
    However it loses points to the Outback in utilitarian terms (somewhat compromised cargo area)...

And in my opinion, that really may not be an issue. I don't know the statistics but I would guess most buyers of the Cross Tour are less interested in utility and more interested in styling and features. I see the Cross Tour as an attainable BMW X6.
    I'd put both of those in the "so ugly it frightens the children" category.

The X6 is the BMW I like the least, yuck.

Toss in the Acura ZDX, and even the Porsche Panamera and BMW 5 series Touring. What it is with the pregnant egg shapes?

Coupe = cool.

Hatchback = dorky.

Style is subjective, but ugly is running rampant lately.

At least the Outback looks wagon/SUVish and avoided the ugly hatch trend.
    I happen to like the styling of the X6.

...and BMW 5 series Touring.

I presume you mean the GT. The 5 series Touring was the station wagon which is no longer coming to our shores.

Toss in the Acura ZDX, and even the Porsche Panamera...

The ZDX I will agree with but the Panamera is one of the most beautifully styled vehicles I have ever seen.

YMMV
    Actually I like all those.

Bob
    Yes, I meant GT, thanks.

The Panamera looks find until you see the back, then it looks overweight.

What do I know? It's the best selling Porsche...
    I'm telling you, AJ, ugly is in right now! Like the tide, it ebbs and flows, and right now the tide is high.
  • rschleicherrschleicher Member Posts: 79
    I've never driven a Crosstour, to really compare it to my Outback (2010 3.6R Limited), but my reactions from sitting in one are:

- I don't mind the styling, and the front end looks pretty nice, but I think I like the appearance of my Outback a bit more
    - It seems well put together, and perhaps exudes a slightly more upscale feel (comparing higher end equipages to my Limited).
    - The reduction in cargo space due to the sloping hatch was a real negative for me.
    - The rear shock towers intrude a lot into the cargo space, making it even less useful.
    - I'm convinced that the Subaru AWD system is superior.
    - It seemed like a similarly-equipped Crosstour was going to cost a couple/few $k more than I paid for my vehicle.

I DID think that the interior materials were very nice in the Honda, and they did make a larger under-floor cargo space/cubby than the one in the Outback.

Perhaps this is silly, but I got the light (cream color, basically) leather interior in my Outback, and would have wanted a tan/biege/cream interior in the Crosstour. But the Crosstour's tan leather is very yellow-looking. That by itself would have been a deal-breaker for me... In any case, nothing about the Crosstour gives me cause for regret at having bought the Outback.
    It would seem so! LOL
  • dominick54dominick54 Member Posts: 1
    I've driving both cars & different cyl except for the Honda Crosstour which only comes in a 6 cyl while the OB comes in two. The Crosstour drove kinda rough & it didn't handle as good as my Pilot did after I so it. The Honda dealership here in town really gave me a bad impression all the way around toward me after I bought 4 hondas from them so it made me compare the two vechicles & others. The Subaru OB with the 2.5 4 cyl is the one that I ended up getting, because it met my needs what I wanted in the vechicle. I wanted something a little bigger than the CRV & a little smaller than the pilot I had and plus the same cargo area as my Pilot. The OB I felt rode & drove very comfortable than the Crosstour & it was about $6,000.00 cheaper than the Crosstour. I think the 4 cyl in the OB has just as much power as my Pilot did & also the Crosstour did too. The OB has alot more room in it as the Crosstour did and plus I can get my mobilty scooter into the OB with out putting the rear seat down. My wife & I was very impress with sooo much room in the OB than the Crosstour. I think that the Subaru OB came a long way to improve in the roomie for the year 2010 & 2011. I think I made a perfect chose of getting the OB over the Crosstour. I was very disappointed in the Honda dealership the way they treated me put oh well.
    Congrats.

I think the OB weighs a bunch less and the keeps the engine in the sweet spot. That compensates for the lack of 6 cylinders. Unless you got a manual?
  • hoosiergrandadhoosiergrandad Member Posts: 96
    "I think the OB weighs a bunch less"

It does....about 700 pounds less than an AWD Crosstour .
    No argument that if you need more cargo room, the Outback is better. I've found the CT to be very good in snow, but have not compared it to the the Outback. Maybe the Suby's noticeably better?

Per Edmunds, the Crosstour is 1.9 sec faster 0-60, 5.2 mph faster through the slalom. J D Power's IQ survey gives the CT a 5.0 vs. 2.5 for the Outback. Not saying this is conclusive, but worth paying SOME attention to.....Most of the IL staff admitted the CT's a good driving roadtripper, even if they didn't like the way it looks, and its looks do have fans. Personally ,I think it looks good on alternate days.
    edited April 2011
    Per Edmunds, the Crosstour is 1.9 sec faster 0-60, 5.2 mph faster through the slalom. J D Power's IQ survey gives the CT a 5.0 vs. 2.5 for the Outback.

Sure the 6-cylinder 3.5L Crosstour will out-accelerate the 4-cylinder 2.5L Outback. You need to compare the Crosstour to the 6-cylinder 3.6L Outback.

Bob
    Not trying to pick a fight....previous 2 posts were referring to the 2.5 version.

I'm sure the 3.6 has a lot more grunt, and costs considerably more.

The 2.5 that has been highlighted refers to a SCORE of 2.5 out of 5 in an initial quality survey. You can give it as much or as little credence as you want.......
    Not picking a fight either. :)

However, a 3.6 H6 Outback with (standard) AWD starts at $28,195. That is considerably less than a 3.5 Crosstour with (optional) 4WD, which starts at $34,140. In fact the 3.6 Outback is even less expensive than the base-level 2WD Crosstour ($29,790).

http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/outback/index.html

http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-crosstour/price.aspx

Bob
    No argument.........it lists cheaper, but if your interested in both vehicles, you should check what they can actually be bought for. Each of them have features that would be deal makers or breakers, depending on what you need and want.
  • ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    I would enjoy your opinion Laurence. Since you work for Subaru, I assume you would be more for the Subaru, but I love the sporty look of the CT, and after reading the reviews, people that have them love them...I don't know why people think they are ugly...i think it is one beautiful , different sporty looking car with alot of luxury...The OB is a great car, but it is a wagon...the CT sure isn't that.......it is more a sports car, so I find it hard to compare the two.
  • winter2winter2 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited January 2013
    I own a 2013 Outback Premium. After three months, so far so good. I nearly purchased a Honda CRV but backed away after discovering that Honda is having issues with their automatic transmissions. The issue is that the automatic is out of the Accord and Honda uses this trans in several of their vehicles including the CRV and the Odessey minivan. The issue here is that Honda does not modify the trans to accomodate the extra weight of the minivan nor do they modify the trans to accomodate the extra strain placed on the trans by the AWD system found on the CRV or the Crosstour. This said, the trans fails early due to overheating. I got this info from one Honda dealership and a couple of trans shops. The other issue is that the Honda trans suffer from shiftitis as they continually hunt for the best gear.

The CVT in the 2013 is decent and smooth albeit a bit whiny. It is responsive and Subaru has pretty much done away with the "rubber band" sensation when you demand passing power.
    It seems that Crosstour fans will disagree......The people that own them say they are excellent, smooth quiet , and the V6 runs smooth as silk...perhaps you are talking about the 4 which would be too small. I personally love the looks of the crosstour...it is more sporty than an outback, even though they are great cars too....I just don't want a wagon look.....I like the sleek look of the hatchback
    edited January 2013
    Are you going for "looks" or "function?"

If it's looks, well, that's a matter of opinion. I'm not a fan of either the Crosstour or the Outback in terms of styling.

If it's function, the Outback wins hands down. The cargo area is better shaped for large bulky objects. The rear wheel wheel intrusion is less than in the Crosstour, and the rear visibility is far better in the Outback. The Crosstour is big on the outside, but small (relatively speaking) on the inside. Also, AWD is only available on the top-trim model, whereas every Ouctback has AWD. The Outback also has more ground clearance to better cope with deep snow and bad roads.

The Crosstour may (?) be the sportier ride, but Honda is having a very hard time selling them. Most people just don't like the car. The Outback is a far better seller, simply because it makes more sense.

Bob
    I agree with you on every point made. Neither is particularly attractive, yet one is much more practical.
    Thanks guys....i am single, so I don't need much cargo space....I am basically going for the sporty look with small cargo space........I just like the Crosstour because you don't see so many of them...it's different looking, but I think it is attractive......people that have them love them just like the Subaru.......both are reliable vehicles...I really enjoy a hatchback.....had one years ago with a Toyota Celica......
    Guy next door bought one, I'll have to ask him how he likes it.

Before the Crosstour he had a Volvo Cross Country.
    Ronn

DRIVE these cars, then get back to us.

Big fan of the new V6 / 6spd....the CT got the same powertrain treatment as the new Accord. The drive ain't everything, but its pretty big on my personal list.