Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Subaru Outback Sudden Problem

05anne05anne Member Posts: 1
edited September 2014 in Subaru
Hi, this is my first post. I'm feeling frantic! I just tried to drive my car to the store and got just down the drive way when I felt the car shaking and studdering. It has never done this. The "Check Engine" light came on for the first time. I turned the car back up the hill to my house and the studdering got worse. It felt like the car didn't want to go and I parked it in my driveway. Now, I'm not sure what to do-what is wrong? And, do I need a dealer to fix it (an hour away) or someone local? Can I drive it at all? Please help!

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    I would say that driving it in this condition is not advisable. I cannot determine the likely problem based on your description, but it sounds like it is possibly a timing or related sensor issue.

I competent local shop should be able to inspect and diagnose the problem.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • historianahistoriana Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Outback with 134,000 miles on it and I have been having the same problem off and on for about 6 months; I have taken it to the local authorized Subaru mechanic (the closest dealership is 100 miles away) and he can't find anything.

The check engine light goes off and on, and the shuddering is periodic. Today, I noticed that the shuddering happens when the defogger is on.

I would love to know what this is about, too.
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    Today, I noticed that the shuddering happens when the defogger is on.

Are you referring to the air conditioner or to the rear window heating element?

A check engine light with increased electrical load suggests a bad ground or corroded battery connections. Have you cleaned the battery terminals?
  • alexisgalexisg Member Posts: 1
    Hi there!

I have had a similar problem a few times! I have noticed that the check engine light doesn't go on for me, though. It also never happens when I'm driving with a tank that is fuller than half full. Did you ever get it figured out? Would love any help or advice if you got some info from your mechanic. Thanks!
  • peterlc63peterlc63 Member Posts: 2
    Just seeing this post now. I hope you got it fixed. I had this happen to me back in Spring 09 whenever I came to a stop. Finally, it got to the point where the engine will die at stops. Took the car to the dealer and they said the engine valves were dirty and my car was in the shop for four days. Fortunately, the problem has not returned. My car is in for its 90,000 mile checkup today. No problems found.. ;-)
  • lynnevlynnev Member Posts: 1
    Hi--just saw this. My husband had a similar problem with his 2001 OB Ltd with the same mileage. Turned out he had a failing fuel pump, a bad O2 sensor, and a fried temperature sensor. He took it in 3 times for diagnosis, including to a dealer. No-one could replicate the problem for months. We took it back to our trusted independent guy, he kept it for a week, and finally it acted up enough that he sorted out the issues. Lots of luck.
This discussion has been closed.