Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 VW Tiguan - 'Tinny' rattling sound on acceleration

grady71grady71 Member Posts: 1
edited October 2014 in Volkswagen
Hi. I just brought home (finally!) my 2011 Tiguan SE 4Motion w/Sunroof and Nav a few days ago. First of all, I adore this vehicle!! I think it's gorgeous inside and out, especially in the Candy White. I'm very happy with the performance too. I was a little reluctant about getting into a 4cyl turbo after having a 6cyl performance sedan, but I don't miss my 2008 Acura TL at all! The panoramic sunroof (had to have it!) and iPod integration is fantastic as well. My only complaint/concern is with a tinny rattling sound coming from underneath the vehicle during acceleration. Is this normal?? Can I expect it to go away? This is my first German vehicle, I've always owned Japanese cars. Is this common among VWs??

Comments

• duanyuefengduanyuefeng Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    You are not the only one. I got my 2011 Tiguan SE a week ago and I have the rattling noise as well. This is to say the wastegate rod issue but nothing to stress over. This happens on almost all 2.0T models. VW is aware of this and they are looking into it. The hissing sound is annoying though :mad: . Everything else is just GREAT!!
  • stixt6stixt6 Member Posts: 2
    I also just bought a 2011 Tiguan 2.0T 4 motion, and this rattle noise is rediculous. I have contacted the dealership, and they will not do anything for me because the vehicle is "operating within normal perameters". So, I called VW customer care 800-822-8987, and after 3 conversations with 3 different people, (mind you, I was polite with them), they gave me the run around and told me I had to speak with the dealership again. I called the dealership again, and they have to call VW again. Although none of the other 2.0 turbos make this noise in the VW - Audi family of cars, this is supposed to be normal. I'm calling it B.S. I will keep you posted on this forum with the results! PLEASE, if anyone else has this problem, Please call the VW customer care! They won't do anything until enough of us complain.
  • taki0187taki0187 Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market for a 2011 Tiguan for my wife. Took it for a ride and opened a 1 rear window and it sounded like a helicopter, salesman says they all do it. Anyone else had this happen to them. I find it hard to believe that a vehicle that sells for over $30,000 that this is normal. thanks in advance.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's pretty common on a lot of cars.

tidester, "Volvo XC90 SUV" #930, 3 Jan 2003 9:19 pm
  • bobtobbobtob Member Posts: 1
    Same Here
    Just got my Tiguan 2011 Se Friday, same sound,
    Not really annoying so I don't really care unless it is a big engine issue :-)
  • stixt6stixt6 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I've spoken with the VW service again, "off the record" the service consultant agrees that there an undefined problem with the turbo. I believe that, and I know I'm not an expert, that the torque needed to accelerate the Tiguan is higher than what the turbo was designed for. Something to do with "gearing/ final drive ratio" is what the service guy told me. This causes a boost fluctuation at the 2500 to 3000RPM range, where the torque starts to peak. The wastegate assembly is probably rattling. This may never pose a serious engine problem, but it doesn't make it acceptable. A new, $27,000+ vehicle shouldn't sound like you put water mixed with gas in your tank and drove your car. Thanks again, hope all fellow Tiguan owners have more luck.
  • danfgdanfg Member Posts: 1
    I just got my 2011 Tiguan and have been putting regular gas in for the 1800 miles so far. I just realized that VW says to use premium gas...

I have had several conversations with folks who say it will not make a difference. I was wondering what the Tiguan owners that replied to this forum post are doing?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.