Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 aveo5 oil filter and oil drain plug

bobot04bobot04 Member Posts: 4
edited August 2014 in Chevrolet
could someone help me? i dont know where the oil filter and oil drain plug is located on my 2010 aveo5 hatchback? i don't know how they look like because it seems so different than my honda civic. if you have pictures could you kindly share it to me? thank you very much and i appreciate it......

Comments

• barkydogbarkydog Member Posts: 45
    The oil filter is a replaceable cartridge type. The filter is located under the hood at the front of the engine, just to the right of the manifold. The top of it is black and it looks like a big, hexagonal nut. You will need a 15/16" socket wrench to remove it.

The oil drain plug is totally flat and is on the bottom of the oil pan. First go to an auto parts store and buy a size Torx-45 wrench. Then crawl under the car and look for a flat drain plug with the same indented, odd looking hole which that torx wrench will fit. There is only one possibility. Don't worry - if you look for it you will find it.
  • bobot04bobot04 Member Posts: 4
    that big, hexagonal nut looks like a top cover, right? what is it made of? is it plastic or metal? and how much force do i need to open it? likewise how much force do i need when closing it? do i close it very tight?

and same thing with the oil drain plug. is it lock tight? how much force do i need to open it?
    Have you ever done an oil change before? How old are you? Male or female?

After you answer these questions I'll consider how and whether to advise you further.
  • bobot04bobot04 Member Posts: 4
    Yes and no. Yes, because way back in Manila 15 years ago, my dad in-law and i used to do a monthly change oil in our public utility jeepney that i drove. it was a isuzu 4bc1 diesel engine. No because i've never done it by myself alone. i don't have the confidence in doing it alone.

It's not that i don't want to spend $50 for an oil change, its because as much as possible I don't want to see my dealership. My experience in buying this car is not good but now i don't have a choice but to care for it so that it'll last.
    A month after i bought this brand new, it needed to be towed to the dealership because of a faulty fuel pump. They've replaced it........ Fortunately right now it's fine and running well.

Right now i'm planning to change from conventional oil to synthetic oil. This will be the first oil change since i bought it 5 months ago. It now has 6500 kms. in it. The oil life system last Sept. 24, 2010 indicates it was at 39%. I'm not waiting for the indicator to flash. While its not yet cold outside I want to do it this Saturday. We live here in Winnipeg.

By the way thank you very much for the info that you're giving me it helps me develop confidence.I'm a Male, 39 years old, Married and has 2 kids.
    "that big, hexagonal nut looks like a top cover, right? what is it made of? is it plastic or metal?"

Probably metal. It doesn't matter what it is made of - you still need to unscrew it.

"and how much force do i need to open it?"

Enough to loosen it.

"likewise how much force do i need when closing it? do i close it very tight?"

A little more than snug. It needs to be tight enough so that it doesn't leak.

"and same thing with the oil drain plug. is it lock tight? how much force do i need to open it?'

Quite a bit. You need a ratchet wrench to do it with.

Expect to get your hands dirty. :)
This discussion has been closed.