Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Venza iPod MP3 Audio and Bluetooth Questions

mgoldsteinmgoldstein Member Posts: 58
edited October 2010 in Toyota
We have a new 2010 Venza V6 AWD with the JBL radio ugrade and NO Nav..

We cannot get our IPod to work through the USB port.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• macpromacpro Member Posts: 52
    There are several ways to connect an iPod to the Venza's stereo.

(1) You can use the AUX jack, but it has some limitations. For example, you can't skip to the next song via the steering controls, the only control you have is the volume. You have to pick-up the iPod to change songs, etc. which is dangerous when driving.

Since Toyota (and Lexus) will not let you see the phone number from an incoming call when driving (you can only see it when stopped), I'm surprised they let you to use other methods that are not as safe. (This is said tongue-in-cheek since I know you are responsible for driving safely).

(2) I purchased a wireless bluetooth connector for my iPod and initially it worked great. I can skip to the next song using the steering wheel. The drawbacks are: every time you get a call or make a call (with a phone connected via bluetooth) the audio connection is lost. This means you have to re-connect your device each time. When you re-connect, it starts playing from the beginning of the song that was playing.

(3) I know there are companies that make iPod integration kits (DICE, Scosche, etc), but I have not tried them yet.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.
  • macpromacpro Member Posts: 52
    After trying a couple different options, I went with the AutoPilot from griffintechnology. The reason being, it allows you to charge your iPod and play music (through the AUX) at the same time using the dock connector. The sound quality is great and my iPod remains charged!

I really wish all vehicles (especially a 2009 Toyota) would have a better solution for connecting an iPod to the stereo that allowed you to control it via the steering wheel controls and view playlists, etc on screen. Maybe I will look further into getting a DICE, Scosche or Neo at some point.
  • odinalaodinala Member Posts: 6
    Since you can order a Venza with a factory iPod connector I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it can be purchased on the internet. I would find it hard to believe that Toyota installs a different radio depending on whether you order the iPod connector or not; therefore I assume once the connector is available it's just a matter of hooking it up to the back of your radio.
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    The factory "iPod connector" is the generic AUX input that's standard across all three radios (standard, JBL, and JBL w/NAV).

I think one of the distributors has an actual iPod connector (via the dock cable on an iPod) that gets installed at the port. However, it's not a "factory" option -- it's a port-installed accessory.

Given that the 2010 Camry can be equipped with a factory USB port and an AUX-in jack, maybe the 2010 Venza will have it as well...

For now, I'm satisfied with placing my older iPod in its slot on the dash and using the scroll wheel to move to the next song, if needed. It's not optimal (and would be too inconvenient with an iPhone or iPod touch, which doesn't have a simple click wheel), but it works for me.
    Not sure where you got your information, but you've been misinformed. The iPod connector I'm referring to is a $375 option and located in the glove box. It's a standard iPod connector that has nothing to do with the AUX input that's on the bottom of the dash and connected with a standard 3.5mm connector in the center console. Not sure why anyone would want to pay $375 for an accessory that's already standard with the base vehicle.
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    Not sure where you got your information, but you've been misinformed. The iPod connector I'm referring to is a $375 option and located in the glove box.

My information is based on the Venza in my garage, from the Toyota brochure, and from the Toyota web site. There is a standard aux-in jack located in the center console. There is no factory iPod connector option.

Your regional Toyota distributor may have a $375 iPod accessory that adds an iPod connector to the glove compartment. However, it is not a factory-installed option. It's installed by the distributor and/or the dealer after the Venza has left the Kentucky factory.

It may show up on the sticker in the list of options (I know floor mats, for example, are sometimes listed, and those are dealer/distributor installed), but it's not a factory option.

Not sure why anyone would want to pay $375 for an accessory that's already standard with the base vehicle.

Because an iPod connector is not standard with the base vehicle. And that's exactly what I stated: the iPod connector is an accessory that's installed after the Venza has left the factory. That's why it costs an additional $375.
  • david_k1david_k1 Member Posts: 39
    Not sure who has seen this, but it means NO wires to connect up your i-phone and other blue tooth MP3 devices...
    I'm jazzed by this as I was wondering how to "nicely" hook my tunes from my i-phone into our soon to arrive Venza.
    The NEW i-phone software I think will be ready in June or July if I read it correctly in MacWorld.

Check: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzvrZaQ9aQ4
    or: http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2009/04/video-2009-toyota-venza-iphone-stream- ing-bluetooth-audio.html

Best, David
    You're correct, I misstated that the iPod connector is standard. However, if you build a Venza on the Toyota website one of the options is the "Ipod Connector-RI20 $375". It may not come from the factory that way and may be port installed, but it's definitely on the Toyota web site.
  • mommomk59mommomk59 Member Posts: 6
    David,
    I went looking for special equipment for the bluetooth connection and I discovered I didn't need any..follow the directions that they give you (make sure you punch the code into your cell phone before she finishes) and it's connected. It's great, I haven't quite figured out how to move the entire phonebook over to the car, but, I've been entering them one at a time.
  • david_k1david_k1 Member Posts: 39
    Glad it works for you as well -
    What my original post back in April was referring to was bluetooth MUSIC streaming. We have the non-nav JBL system and the bluetooth PHONE works as I had hoped. As I understand it though, I needed the NAV system to be able to stream music into the stereo. I have been checking aftermarket, behind the dash units that you can then plug your i-phone into and allow you to run the I-Pod portion of the i-phone via the steering wheel controls with information on the radio face. Still debating it though...
    What stereo system do you have in your Venza??
  • flomtflomt Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2010 Venza awd v6. One of the "upgrades" was to the JBL audio system.
    Wow, what a disappointment. I can only hope that Toyota will never put such a piece of junk into another car. The radio has all the specs and connects to everything, but the sound is just awful. It doesn't matter if you use the CD, XM, FM, or an Ipod, it is just a terrible sounding piece of junk.

I can only hope that somebody from Toyota reads these forums and they fix this soon, or just quit offering $1,000 upgrades that aren't worth a penny more than the stock radio.

PS, Love the rest of the car and I get to appreciate how quite it is.
  • normvenza09normvenza09 Member Posts: 36
    something not right with your audio system. mine ROCKS....

http://www.jbltoyota.com/toyota_venza/default.asp

it is rated as good as bose media system
  • moosie11moosie11 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2010 Venza and am experiencing the same problem with the radio. I am having a problem primarily with the FM stations. AM and XM seem to be okay. Have you contacted the dealer where you bought the car? If so, did they have any suggestions?
  • kingfans1kingfans1 Member Posts: 137
    I have 2009 toyota matrix type S with the jbl audio system. it is not junk... excellent sound system..
  • tnardozzitnardozzi Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 Venza, with JBL Synthesis Nav system. I am able to use my iPhone 3g for hands free incoming and outgoing calls, and play all my music. The issue I am running into is controlling the iPhone via the JBL interface.

The only control is pause and play. Nothing else is available.

I checked with my Toyota dealer and discover the compatibility with iPhone, iPod, and Touch series is all based upon version. I asked the dealer if there is a firmware update for the JBL, and they say there is none they know of.

So I'm thinking of a different device for music; a blue tooth MP3 player not made by Apple.

So, does anyone know of a place where I find a listing of players that will allow complete control via the JBL touch screen?

Thanks!
  • agie1agie1 Member Posts: 25
    I have also 2009 venza and I use blackberry for bluetooth audio streaming.
    It is really cool. I can control the volume and track from the buttons in the steering wheel. Tracks, album, songs also can be displayed in the navigation screen.
  • tnardozzitnardozzi Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply. It's good to know that other phone devices work, such as your Blackberry. While that's one solution, I was hoping to find someone who knows of, or has a separate bluetooth player that is not phone based, but is compatible with the Venza. I don't want to stop using my iPhone.
  • cslasorcslasor Member Posts: 15
    Forgive me if this has been asked before, but is there a way to download the contacts from my iPhone to my Venza's phonebook? It's an iPhone 3Gs with OS4 and a 2010 Venza with the standard radio (no Nav, no JBL). I suppose I could enter the important ones by hand, but would rather be able to have them all download automatically. It seems like there should be a way, but maybe not.

Thanks for any help!
  • fhffhf Member Posts: 19
    I just purchased a 2011 Avalon Limited which has a USB port that is described to enable use of an Ipod with control through the radio. When I connect my generation 5.5 Ipod to the USB port the radio does not recognize the existance of the Ipod. In fact Ipod does not appear as one of the mode options on the radio. The Ipod will of course play through the generic Aux Port.

I also could not get my phone to pair when I tried to pair as "Phone Only" , but did get the phone to pair by using the "Bluetooth Audio " setup...I don't know if this would have any effect on my problem with the Ipod.

Does anyone know how to integrate an Ipod to the 2011 Avalon.
  • normvenza09normvenza09 Member Posts: 36
    Just press "Transfer Contacts" or something like that. I did with my Iphone 3G and Iphone 4G
  • marvin6marvin6 Member Posts: 72
    I would suggest that once you connect the ipod you push the aux button below the radio. IF you get nothing, push it one more time. I think there are two connections in the "storage bin" - one is for the ipod and the other for ...whatever electronics would hookup there. It could be that when you hit the aux button it is not going to the USB, but to the other connector. Good luck.
  • jimbob1jimbob1 Member Posts: 70
    On my 2010, the first push of the AUX button seems to make the unit look for a bluetooth device. The second push gets the iPod working. Your advice seems spot on.
  • alexeykndalexeyknd Member Posts: 1
    Hi. Forgive that I write to you, but on it there is a reason.
    The help for USB realization in my Toyota Venza 2009 is necessary to me.
    The matter is that I want to replace JBL 6CD with radio model of 2010. And to establish in a glove box of AUX/USB. Now at me there it cost only AUX jack.
    Radio and USB/AUX jack (2010) I already got.
    What wire to me is necessary to buy what to connect everything?
  • murphyd2murphyd2 Member Posts: 1
    Our 2013 Toyota Venza has a USB port. We have gotten almost everything working, although it would be nice if my Android phone could use USB to play music like the iPod. We were on a long trip and the USB port power would go out every 30-40 minutes. The dealer says that it is designed to do this and Toyota thinks that 30-40 minute is enough time to charge a phone. The cycle starts over if you turn the key off and on again and they say if you unplug the USB for several minutes it will recycle also.
    I wonder is these people ever use a cellphone. Very poor choice.....
  • angelsmomangelsmom Member Posts: 1

:) I have been researching crossover/SUV's for month now, & if that the only problem the Venza, what a wonderful problem to have, no offence intended.