Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Enclave Excessive Wind Noise

csma8980csma8980 Member Posts: 2
edited August 2016 in Buick
I have a 2009 enclave and have an excessive amount of wind noise and "wind vibration" when the window (driver or passenger) is partly or all the way down. Its even difficult to hear the bose radio. I am considering buying weather tech side window reflectors as a possible solution.

Anyone else experiencing this and any solutions?

Comments

• Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Wind buffeting is a fairly common occurrence in modern vehicles. You didn't mention whether your problem is with the front windows or the rear ones but the problem seems especially troublesome with the rear windows of the Enclave. If that is the case in your situation, try lowering the front windows. That may reduce the effect.

If you do try the weather deflectors, please report back and let us know how it works out. Thanks!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    johnlkjohnlk Member Posts: 3
    Excessive wind noise with all windows closed, air conditioner off and this car has been into 3 different hyundai dealers for this problem. The last hyundai dealer stated that he did not hear any wind noise but it is caused by the outside mirrows which to prove his point had the mirrows removed, holes taped up and the wind noise was still present. They had a tech that specializes in wind noise, he worked on the car for over 3 hours after verifying wind noise and then he told me that he could onlyreduce it 40%. Later in the day the big shots at the dealership stated that they did not hear any wind noise, then proceeded to tell me that they reduced it by 40%. If you claim that you can not hear it, how can you reduce something that you claim does not exist 40%. The wind noise gets so bad at high speeds that the radio has to be turned up. This car has been in the shops 7 times for this problem and Hyundai refuses to work out a solution . Also the tires had worn out at 23000 miles even though they have been rotated every 5,000 miles. Has anyone that owns a hyundai have a wind noise problem?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try the 2009-2010 Hyundai Sonata discussion.
  • Options
    thowlethowle Member Posts: 2
    I experience wind noise in the enclave, especially in windy conditions. During a trip to Vermont, I experienced "whistling" on the passengers window. took the vehicle in, they adjusted the door, and this helped, but did not fix the problem. Took it back in, they put tape around the windshield gasket, this seemed to help, so they sent the vehicle to a windshield glass place. They did not replace the windshield, but "caulked" the gasket and stated that was the best they could do (the dealer). Does anyone else experience a similar problem! this noise is with all window up, and seems to be worse in windy conditions at 60 plus mph, although there is noise at lower speeds. I keep hearing the Enclave is one on the quitest vehicles, but this has not been my experience.
    any comments?
    Thanks
  • Options
    gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    If we can be of assistance in following up with your dealership, please send us an email with more information (include, please, your name, the last 8 digits of the vehicle's VIN, and the name of your involved dealership).
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    klex1klex1 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. I have taken it in, but the dealership "hasn't been able to reproduce the problem", but i as we were diving on the thruway today, I was ready to sell the car!. Have you had any resolution?
  • Options
    thowlethowle Member Posts: 2
    I still have the noise, especially on Interstate driving in windy conditions. I have the moon roof-don't know if this is a factor or not. As mentioned before, I got a whhistling noise at first-the dealer did adjust the right door and this fixed that problem. The Enclaves have lot's of openings, esp. ones with a moon roof, don't know if they can be quieten down or not. Some owners I talk with don't notice the problem if they have it. I will keep trying to find a solution.

This vehicle has lot's of blind spots-the wide roof support posts, and the large mirrows. Do you notice this?
  • Options
    Good morning klex1,

I'm sorry you haven't been able to pinpoint this with your dealership when you've been in. Did they drive out on the freeway with you?

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    klokmanklokman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Buick enclave that has bad wind noise. It appears to be coming from between the doors along the top molding. The molding looks like it doesn't cover the entire space that leads to the roof. This is on both the driver side and the passenger side. It sounds like the window is open a 1/16 of an inch. Terribly annoying for a SUV that is suppose to be one of the quietest.
  • Options
    Hello klokman,

I can see how this would be a frustration for you in your Enclave. Have you already had it looked into?

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    rjlukerjluke Member Posts: 7
    I have the same annoying wind noise in my 2008 Enclave. Dealer can't fix it. The whistling sound is right behind the driver's head coming near the top of the window. I agree the molding is the issue. The noise is particularly bad when driving in a cross wind coming from the passenger side. Not the nice quiet cabin I would expect from luxury vehicle.
  • Options
    csma8980csma8980 Member Posts: 2
    Sarah, I have an '09 Enclave and there is no solution, the wind noise or wind buffeting is a result of the body design. Two things might help a little. Attach GM wind deflectors to the windows. This will cut down on some wind noise. Also, if you lower the rear window several inches (you will have to test at different heights), this 'equalizes' the wind pressure in the car and reduces the wind noise experienced behind the driver's head.

Hope this helps
  • Options
    richardbuickrichardbuick Member Posts: 1
    My 2012 Enclave was AMAZINGLY quiet in all conditions. Now six month later there is a WEIRD increase in cabin pressure. Passengers noise ear pressure. Noise has increased. I know the dealer will have no answers. HELP!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter would like to talk with drivers who frequently have to deal with wind throb -- i.e. the sound that occurs when you have a rear window down and the front window up. If you'd like to share your experience, please reach out to pr@edmunds.com by no later than August 8, 2016.
  • Options
    JetJonesJetJones Member Posts: 1
    I have wind noise as well but we found that it is because of cabin pressure in our 2010 Enclave. The whistling gets worse when you turn up the fan and reduces when you turn it down. There must be a cabin pressure valve or something in these?
  • Options
    TimmyFlathersTimmyFlathers Member Posts: 1
    Just wear earplugs from Big Ear! I actually use them for motorcycle riding but it might help you with this. I wonder why the Enclave produces wind noise. A closed car should've blocked any wind noise from the outside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA5-Sj6Qjdg