Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Optima Pricing

njgreggnjgregg Member Posts: 39
edited September 2014 in Kia
The recently listed MSRP and invoice pricing on the edmunds website seems to indicate that the pricing for the new Optima is a little out of whack when you compare it to the Sonata. The Optima LX is more expensive that the Sonata GLS and the turbo option upgrade in the EX trim is an additional 2000 dollars, whereas it's only 1550 additional in the Sonata SE and only 1750 more in the Sonata Limited, and you also get dual exhaust, paddle shifters and a tire upgrade from 17" to 18" when you upgrade the Limited to the turbo version.

Also, a turbo Sonata Limited without the navigation is under 28 k, whereas the Optima SX with the premium package and no navigation is 28,840

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    edited November 2010
    That's surprising that the Optima, e.g. the LX, is more expensive than the Sonata. The Optima has always been a little less than the Sonata. I wonder if that means we'll see a price increase on the Sonata soon, or at latest when the 2012 model debuts (early in 2011?). Hyundai can probably get away with a small increase on the Sonata, given the popularity of the car.

EDIT: I just noticed one reason why the Optima may be priced higher than the Sonata: more equipment. For example, the Optima LX AT has alloys and power lumbar adjustment standard; those are extra-cost on the Sonata (and isn't the Sonata's lumbar adjuster manual?). Also, the Optima LX AT has a hill-holder feature, and has 200 hp (per Edumuds) vs. 198 for the Sonata GLS. And the Optima LX has turn signals in the mirrors, which are available only on higher-trim Sonatas. So maybe the Optima's higher price isn't out of line after all.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    it's probably due to the fact that the optima has more air-bags and features.
  • optima2011optima2011 Member Posts: 4
    Purchased Optima 2011 EX almost 1 week ago. Drove Sonata first for comparison. Very disappointed in the Sonata. Tight handling and rough ride. When this Optima proves itself worthy over time (a very short time), my prediction is this car will list for $28,000-34,000. Body style, Luxury, Performance is awesome!
  • njgreggnjgregg Member Posts: 39
    Where did you buy, what options and how much did you pay before TTL? I'm interested in the EX with the premium package. Dealers in my area are getting deliveries around the end of next week (12/10).
  • optima2011optima2011 Member Posts: 4
    Purchased at Lakeshore Kia in Slidell, La. 1st and only one off the truck. Sugg retail 23,190. Dealer added Paint & Fabric Protection 995.00 and AMV 749.00 for total of 24,934. Cash price I paid 22,628 before TTL & additional warranties. A few Standard: Hill-start Assist Control, Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Dual-Zone Temp Control w/rear vents, AM/FM/CD/MP3 w/6 speakers, SIRIUS w3 month subscrip, BLUETOOTH Wireless Tech, Leather Seat w/Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel, Power Driver Seat w/Power Lumbar Support, Heated O/S Mirrors, Push Button Start w/Smart Key, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror w/Homelink & Compass; Front Door Mood Lighting, Cooling Glove Box, Outside Mirror Turn Signal Indicators (cool), Front Fog Lights, Solar Glass, Dual Exhausts.
    I too wanted the Premium Package (mainly for the heated front/rear seats & steering wheel). Did not necessarily want the panoramic sunroof. Wanted the Bronze or Graphite color but only had bright silver (which fits this car beautifully). Dealer said would not be getting many more in soon nor was Kia accepting orders. Said it would be hard to find the exact car I wanted because dealers are receiving very few and want to hold on to them.
    The only complaint I have is the passenger seat is manual back & forth and sits low. I think the premium package includes power passenger seat. I LOVE THIS CAR.
    I keep my vehicles for 10 years or more. I added Gap Insurance for 395.00 and Extended Bumper to Bumper Warranty w/roadside asst. for 10 yr/100,000. miles for 1295.00 (Basic is 5 yr/60,000 mile). Also included is 10yr/100,000 mile Powertrain. I hope this helps!
    Appreciate your info....luckily for me I have at least 30 dealers within a 50 mile radius, so I will be sending out requests for internet pricing soon and meeting face to face with a handful of the lowest bids. I'll also go in with zag pricing, once it becomes available online, hopefully within 2 weeks after more dealers get their initial inventory. The smaller volume dealers will only get a few, while the larger dealers will get more. I spoke to a dealer yesterday who said he's getting 8 in next week. By the way, what is AMV? The paint and fabric protection 995 charge is total BS.....The invoice price for the basic EX is 21,020 + 695 destination totaling 21,715, so it looks like you paid 913 over invoice, but this does not take into account whatever AMV is.
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    Congrats on your new ride! Please stop in again to give thoughts after you've had it a week or so. I'd be interested to hear them.
  • waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    edited December 2010
    My local Kia dealer is currently charging $3,000 over MSRP on all new 2011 Optimas on the lot right now (huh). The salesman told me people are indeed paying $3,000 over MSRP, and he has proof to show it. I told him politely that I am only allowed to buy at invoice price and will be happy to wait when it comes. Then the manager shouted at me, "you're nuts," expecting I won't get it at invoice price. Right when I walk out the door, the manager and salesman agreed to sell me at invoice price. Then they told me I'm the first person ever to ask for it. Nobody has asked about invoice price. But I still decline it because I was just playing around, and then they said "you're nuts" again to me for not taking their invoice offer. Too funny.

Was I foolish to not accept their invoice offer, or was this dealer playing a trick to me only to be entertained?
    I had an offer of 1900 under invoice for the Hyundai Sonata Limited Turbo. There is a manufacturer to dealer incentive on them right now which expires in early January. The Optimas will be spoon-fed to the dealers just like the Sonatas were and in about 2 months there will be plenty to go around, just like there are dealers now that have over 50 Sonatas on their lots.
    There is a local Kia dealer that has a radio campaign that proclaims you can buy a Kia for 1 dollar over invoice.
  • couyoncouyon Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2010
    I was told I paid $50 over invoice for Optima EX with premium package. Out the door price with T, T & L was $26,250
    So, before TTL, you paid 23,775?
  • couyoncouyon Member Posts: 8
    Close $23,745
    That's 20 bucks over invoice....since it has just come out and there is not much discounting, you made a good deal!
  • snowallergysnowallergy Member Posts: 135
    Good to know how they do things. I think they did something similar with the Forte SX koup. They're cashing in on the buzz. That will wane. When the camry redesign rolls out prices may really come down. We'll see.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    i agree with you about the forte sx koup.i purchased a blue 2010 forte koup sx last march and only got 300.00 off of the msrp.however,i do enjoy all the comments i get about the car and all the looks and stares at the car everywhere i go.you can't put a price on that.
  • snowallergysnowallergy Member Posts: 135
    Definitly a nice car and you can't beat the price. Hope you're enjoying the heck out of it. I would have gotten one if I was younger and not so used to the soft ride of my 01 camry. The blue SX was my favorite as well. It's what got me back into a KIA dealership and interested again. I never thought I'd even consider KIA. Now I think KIA is moving in the right direction and most every other car maker is going the wrong way.
  • conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    LX - $21,995, LX auto - $24,195, LX+ - $25,595
    EX - $26,695, EX+ - $28,095, EX Luxury - $30,595, EX Luxury + Nav - $32,095
    SX Turbo - $33,695
  • rjqmanrjqman Member Posts: 6
    Car manufacturers print an invoice price that is not really what the dealer pays - check with Consumer Reports. For $12 US you can find out the true price, or even the price of that exact car. The dealer gets rebates based on volume and other similar hidden incentives. Often a dealer can realistically sell for several hundred below invoice and still be making a comfortable profit. In some cases, the dealer will actually sell close to his true price if he anticipates that he will make money on service from you, or if he can fudge the figures around legally with respect to a trade-in. And watch out for last second add-ons. I am not 100% sure but I have heard that even the freight figure is bogus. A few years back I bought a car in Illinois and took delivery in Florida - the freight from Illinois to Florida was not very much compared to the freight charges on those invoices. Best of luck
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    We list invoice prices (real ones) on this site - for free.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

This discussion has been closed.