Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Fiesta Real World MPG

phill1phill1 Member Posts: 319
I`ve owned my new Ford Fiesta Hatchback with Auto Transmission since July 24 and have just over 4000k miles on it. I (do not) have the special Fuel Efficiency package and I`m getting over 33 MPH City and 41 MPG Highway with hard driving and driving at 75 MPH or higher. I`m thrilled that my actual MPG exceeds the Ford and E.P.A. estimates, who would think?

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    As the saying goes, "your mileage may vary". So much depends on driving styles and conditions. Typically, I always meet or exceed the mileage estimates on the cars I own, yet someone driving an identical car on identical roads, may not because of a heavy foot.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    edited March 2011
    Phill:
    Thanks for the update. I wish more people would chime in with their gas mileage and experience with the Fiesta. I almost bought one a month ago but backed out of the deal so I could see what the new Focus is going drive. As soon as I drive a 2012 Focus SEL I am going to make up my mind so any info good or bad would be greatly appreciated.
  • phill1phill1 Member Posts: 319
    Actually you will comparing Apples with Oranges putting the Fiesta against the Focus. The Fiesta is a considerably smaller vehicle B-segment Sub Compact vs the Focus which is significantly larger and a C-segment Compact size vehicle. Myself, I like the easy parking and handling of a smaller vehicle and with gasoline soon to reach $4.00/$5.00 @ gallon and perhaps higher in the future, I want to achieve maximum mpg. The Fiesta indeed meets and actually exceed the EPA milage ratings, you don`t see that EVER! My next vehicle which should be in the dealers showrooms later this spring will be either a 2012 Hyundai Accent Hatchback or its twin sibling the 2012 Kia Rio Hatchback. Both are going to be very well equipped and have even more room and comfort then the Fiesta with the same or lower price and reportedly even better real time city and highway mpg ratings. I`ve owned both products, Hyundai and Kia and found them to be excellent cars and with a 5 year 60K bumper to bumper warranty and 10 year 100K drivetrain too, it should be on everyones short list of new vehicles to shop. If your one of those Patriotic flag wavers and only want to buy American, the Fiesta is built in Mexico, while the Focus is assembled in Michigan. Everyone is crazy about the 2011 Hyundai Sonata & Elantra so the new Accent is definitely worth a look IMO.
  • haulsalothaulsalot Member Posts: 2
    I have a Fiesta SES hatch with the automatic. I drive about 80 miles per day commuting to and from work on a combination of two lane roads, suburban traffic with lots of stoplights, and about 20 miles of highway. The highway can be wide open or bumper to bumper and is usually a bit of each.

Over just under 8,000 miles of this, I am averaging 39.8 mpg and usually get about 440 to 450 miles on an avg of 11.2 gallons per fill up. I do drive efficiently and don't do stupid things like accerlerating to red lights or weaving in an out of traffic. I also do this to reduce brake use or with all the ltraffic ights I'd probably go through a brake job a year which would get very expensive. The Fiesta is definitely the most fuel efficient car I have owned, including a manual transmission Chevy Nova (Corolla) and a manual transmission Honda Fit Sport. :)
  • dprivendpriven Member Posts: 10
    '11 Fiesta Hatchback, Automatic, SFE Package.

I've put 1400 miles on it over the last 5 weeks. In the middle of San Francisco gridlock, the mileage is in the low 20's, and it makes me wish I'd picked up a hybrid with an engine-stop feature. Cruising along the freeway at 63mph, I got better than 50mpg and I couldn't be happier.
  • ash90ash90 Member Posts: 1
    has 6,000 on it only gets 31 on the hwy says it will get 38 far from it.
    "ash90" assuming your calculating your mpg correctly, something is very wrong with your Ford Fiesta and I would recommend getting it back to your Ford dealerships service department. Like I have posted earlier, I now have almost 8000 miles on my vehicle since I bought it last July and I still get 34-36 mpg city with A/C on here in Florida with stop and go driving and 41-43 mpg highway driving 75-80 mph. I do NOT have the FEP or Fuel Efficiency Package, have the 6 speed automatic transmission and others who own Fiesta`s report similar fuel economy. Something needs attention under your vehicles hood! What does your on-board computer indicate for mpg? Mine corresponds closely with my actual fuel consumption.
  • iamziamz Member Posts: 542
    Last 4 tanks; 41.1, 42.1,41.3 and 40.6 mpg.
    Thanks for your posting iamz. I did not want to appear to be a Ford Fiesta pawn trying to fake impressive fuel economy numbers in this Forum.
  • sanfrandansanfrandan Member Posts: 20
    Purchased 2/23/11. So far: 3662 miles, 111.4 gallons, 32.9mpg. Mostly in highly congested city traffic, with one high-speed dash to L.A. a week ago.
    Sounds about right. I get around 34 to 35 mpg in heavy stop and go city driving here in So FL with A/C on all the time. Great for a non-hybrid. On the highway, 41-43 mpg all the time. Dealership said there was a computer "patch" to help eliminate the occasional auto transmission jerking sensation. I told them to Leave It Alone, I don`t want to risk reducing the excellent fuel economy.
    Completed a 407 mile round trip/vacation last weekend with about 340 miles traveling on rolling hills keeping my speed at about 56 mph. The other miles were all in town/city driving with 3 passengers. The average for the entire trip was 46.5 mpg.
    In this months Consumer Reports Magazine, they were discussing Fuel Economy and EPA estimates. They pointed out that often, one (never) gets as favorable MPG as the EPA estimates be they city or highway. They pointed to an exception, the 2011 Ford Fiesta SE. WITHOUT the added cost SFE (super fuel efficiency) package, they got around 45 MPG Highway where the EPA estimate was only 37 MPG. I get 41 MPG Highway with my 2011 Fiesta SE Hatchback with hard driving at 75 to 80 MPH. Great job Ford!
    I have the SE hatchback also. I have the Powershift tranny but it sounds like the manuals also can get well above the EPA numbers.

I should mention that had I not done all the in town/city driving I would have had about 49 mpg on the trip. That's what the trip computer said just as I rolled into the resort.
    I`m real happy with my Fiesta which I`ve owned since last July and have just over 9K miles driven. Was considering a 2012 Ford Focus to replace my 2006 Kia Rio5 Hatchback but the Fiesta and Focus are to similar looking especially the dash and instrument panel (radio/sync) display. I`m opting for the 2012 Kia Rio5 Hatchback when it arrives this fall. Hope it gets at least as good fuel economy as the Fiesta since they both have a 1600 CC engine, 6 speed automatic transmission (and) the new Rio has GDI, gasoline direct injection that should boost both performance and fuel efficiency. Also, the new Kia Rio will have ISG, idle/stop/go technology which should also increase MPG.
  • adaema05adaema05 Member Posts: 8
    On my 2011 Fiesta with a 5-speed manual transmission, my avg. MPG according to the display is usually between 40-42 MPG with mostly highway driving. When I do mostly around town driving, especially after a recent fill up, it usually shows 30-32 mpg. One time when I filled up at the gas station, the MPG display said 40 point something MPG, and I used a calculator to divide the miles driven since the last fill up by the number of gallons I just put in the tank. The result was 37.2 MPG. I'd say the MPG display overestimates about 3 MPG give or take a few depending on how you drive the car. I drive an average of 200-250 miles a week, and if gas prices are around $3.60/gal, $25.00 can fill up the tank. I usually use a hair more than half a tank in a week's driving, so overall I'm impressed with my Fiesta's fuel economy.
    Most people report the vehicle`s onboard fuel economy computer does (not) accurately indicate either city or highway MPG. Best way is what you described. Fill gas tank until automatic shut off stop, reset trip meter, and when its time to refill gas tank, just simply divide miles drived by gallons of fuel used and you have "real-time mpg figure. The vast majority of consumers are very happy that their Fiesta`s usually (exceed) EPA estimates for both city and highway fuel estimates.
    I usually find the Fiesta's trip computer to be within 1 to 1.5 mpg above the actual mpg. My last 3 tanks have all been just above 44 mpg (manually calculated).
  • dbdadbda Member Posts: 9
    I just bought the ford fiesta sedan sel. The first tank load I am averaging in the low twenties with mostly city driving, how long did it take you to get the MPGs you get?
    I just bought the 2011 sel fiesta... The first tank I am averaging in the low twenties, with mostly city driving, did anybody else experience the same? Will the MPGs improve?
    I've owned the car for three days... These are my first impressions:
    Good impressions:
    The technology is great with the upgraded sound system in the sel. I can play my iPhone 4 using the blue tooth functions through the stereo speakers such as, navigation, iPod etc, all wirelessly. Also, when I receive a phone call the music or the navigation will mute through the speakers and the sync will go in to the phone mode automatically. When the call has ended it will return to the previous function automatically.
    Brakes are good.
    The materials are well made, no rattling or cabin noises.
    Large truck for such a small car.
    Keyless entry and start work well.
    Bad impressions:
    The double clutch automatic feels like a Manuel ( I should have know because it actually is)
    Pick up is not always smooth, but sometimes it is. ( this is excluding inclines or declines)
    I'm still trying to figure it out. While my Honda Fit had the Pep as the fiesta it had smooth acceleration. This is frustrating me a bit!
    The cabin feels smaller than the Fit. My two legs are either hitting into the stupid cup holder on the left door, or banging into the center console on the right side.
    The back seat is much smaller than than the Fit. I didn't think it would matter but somehow I am feeling jipped!
    On the first tank, I am only averaging in the low twenties with mostly city driving. ( I hope this improves)

I went with the fiesta because Ford offered many features that the Honda Fit does not. But right now I am feeling that I should have bought another Fit. The engineering on the Fit seems to be a notch better than the Fiesta. Hopefully my impressions
    will change because I am going to be stuck with this
    • ride for at least another 2 to 3 years.
    I think perhaps you might (not) have a defective vehicle but an impatience issue. Maybe a small dose of Xanax might help. A new vehicle needs at least 1000 or more miles to "break in". If you are calculating your actual MPG correctly and your fuel economy does not improve significantly after 2000 miles driven, something is drastically wrong and a visit to the Ford Dealers Service Department is in order. I bought my 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback last July and have 10K mileage driven so far. I get 34 MPG in hard constant stop and go city driving, with I might add the A/C being engaged (all) the time. On the Highway, going 70 to 75 MPH with or without the (cruise control) engaged I always get between 40 to 42 MPG. Consumer reports last month reported that a recently purchased Ford Fiesta that they bought for testing and review surprised them with an amazing 45 MPG highway number! And that was achieved with a Fiesta that (Did Not) have the extra cost SFE option. Give your car some extra time and put some more mileage on it. Make sure you are calculating your miles driven vs gallons of fuel consumed correctly and if it does not match the fuel economy number most other Fiesta owners are getting, there definitely is mechanical problems to be looked at. I am very happy with my Ford Fiesta in every aspect. I plan on purchasing a 2012 Kia Rio5 Hatchback later this fall to replace another aging vehicle I own as well.
  • mechanic80mechanic80 Member Posts: 122
    I do almost exclusively highway mileage, but I like my accelerator pedal. 2011 fiesta with 5 speed manual is getting 43.5 to 44.2 MPG I installed a K&N basic kit that helps throttle response and increased HP (didn't affect MPG one way or another.) The intake "note" is an added bonus. :shades:
    I've driven my Fiesta SFE Hatchback for 6 months, primarily in dense city traffic. Overall mpg has averaged 32.9. I can cruise along the freeway at 60mph and get about 50mpg. I almost never go on those long drives, though. If only I had a garage and could use an electric car....
  • obktobkt Member Posts: 35
    Can you tell me more about the Computer "Patch"? I looked up TSB's and it isn't there. Is the a part number for this patch. I'd be interested in having it put into my Fiesta.
    Thank you.
    I`m assuming the so called "patch" your asking about is the on board vehicle computer (correction) to help reduce the 6 speed automatic transmission jerking sensation that occurs sometimes at (low) speeds? My Salesman told me about a service department memo he heard of that addressed the matter. I myself did not find the annoyance worth risking the great gas milage I`ve been getting.
  • obktobkt Member Posts: 35
    Thank you for the info. I'll have to check on the "patch" to see what they say about it. Heck. It may help the mileage considering it will smooth out the tranny shifting. But I do agree with you. It isn't a huge annoyance. My son, who works for Ford, said it will take a few months to get used to the wonky transmission. I'm almost there.
    Every car test I've read on the Fiesta and new Focus have complaints about the auto transmission. Maybe Ford will get the message.
  • bcrunnerbcrunner Member Posts: 1
    Looking to buy a new Fiesta.

Does the SFE package make a real difference in the mpg?
    I don`t believe it will amount to anything your will ever notice and (never) repay itself the the outrageous cost of the Option. I have driven (my) Fiesta 14 months with 13 K miles and I get constant fuel economy of 33 mpg city and 41 mpg highway (without) the SFE Package.
    I agree with phill1,....don't waste your money on the package.
    I did the math and figured the payback on the SFE package would be about 10 years. It also is impossible to get the SFE package on the SES model, which comes with more goodies.

I bought the SFE package anyway. I'd rather my money go to Ford than big oil, and I plan to keep my car long enough to make the money back.

As a purely practical decision, it's probably not a good deal.
    In regards to purchasing the SFE Package on a Ford Fiesta, at least when it came to the 2011 series, the only thing (extra) that you got for a ridiculous price for (that) option was the "superior" low rolling resistance tires. IMO, when the original tires need replacing at around 30K miles, I can then decide if I want to spend a bit extra for a superior tire upgrade. I understand your rationale about putting the extra dollars in Ford`s pocket rather then "Big Oil", but its like paying a $5000 upgrade to go for a Escape or Fusion "Hybrid", unless you rack up 30K miles a year in driving, you will never get back the savings from the Gasoline not used. Still, it gives most people a warm fuzzy feeling helping the environment a bit, Guess thats why Vermont and California sell the most Hybrids and Subaru`s. Glad to see that Ford for 2012 finally put an Armrest in the Fiesta which was missing in the 2011 model.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    You don't need to recoup the cost of SFE in gasoline...

You don't look to recoup the costs of an $800 sunroof...that amount is added to the value of the vehicle and when you sell it you'll get more for your car.

Assuming increased mileage (even a bit) is valued when you sell you car you should be able to command a higher (a bit...) resale value.

For example...A Prius is way over charged compared to a Corolla...but that value doesn't go away when you sell it; just look at used Prius prices
    edited October 2011
    I`ve actually "sold" both New and Used cars for a living. True, you will never get back the extra $700 or $800 spent for a Power Moonroof upgrade, (but) you "might" get a bit more in Trade in Value or sell it (faster) in a Private Resale. The added feature of a the SFE Package ae: Low Rolling Resistance Tires which I`m sure you will agree with will no longer be on the Vehicle at point of Trade In, unless of course they are replaced with similar type tires, will not even return a "wee bit" extra. Only 4 matching identical tires with plenty of "tread ware" remaining is looked for at either trade in or lease return. Your comparison of expected higher residual value of a "Hybrid" vehicle compared to a "Non" Hybrid vehicle and the addition of the SFE Package containing the original upgraded tires that are no longer (still) on the vehicle, is as they say, a "bit" of a Stretch. Even the 2012 Ford Focus that tout`s the automatic closing louvers in its Radiator Grill on it`s SFE Package will not return the extra value that either a Ford Escape or Ford Fusion would, equipped with a Hybrid engine. That is why there are so few vehicles that the Dealers order for inventory with the SFE Package. Its a tough sell to have someone pay extra for something that they cannot either see or immediately benefit by. Both a Power Moonroof, Navigation System, Power Windows, Door Locks, Mirrors, Remote Key Fob and of course a Hybrid Engine, yes definitely, SFE I`m afraid, not so much as a "bit" more. With or without the SFE Package, I`m sure you will very much enjoy your Ford Fiesta. I`ve owned mine for almost 15 months now and am very happy with it. Enjoy!
    Yeah...could be. It's hard to see whether this option will retain its value. I think it's only 1mpg on the highway...so it may be a tough re-sell :) Depends on the salesman; or saleswoman (my wife sold a used toilet seat cover at our garage sale so...).

Don't have a Fiesta, test drove one but am leaning towards other cars.
    Well, for someone who has (not) yet purchased a Ford Fiesta with or without the SFE Package, it appears your concerns are theoretical and (not) actual. You sound like you would be much better suited for either a Hyundai or Kia product. With its 5 year bumper to bumper warranty and its 10 year/100K Drive Train Warranty for the "original" purchaser, it probably your (best) value. My 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback (without) the SFE Package gets consistent 33 mpg city and 41 mpg highway, FYI. On the matter of whether or not the SFE will retains its value in comparison to its cost, absolutely without any doubt, "No". Case closed.
    Phill1 -

What is your source for the SFE package = low resistance tires statement?

When I made my decision, I understood the SFE package to include aerodynamic bits on the front and underneath the car and lighter wheels. The Ford website says this:

"- Underbody shields

- Blockers on lower grille

- 15" steel wheels

- Speed control"

I never inspected the underside of my SFE vs. a regular SE or SES - but there's a pretty low plastic air dam in the front.
    I drove to grandma's house a few weeks ago and tested the mileage with the AC on and off. It made a bigger difference than I expected.

65 mph, no AC: 47 mpg
    65 mph, AC on full blast: 40 mpg.

Both were over ten miles, on relatively flat terrain (101 between Salinas and San Luis Obisbo). Wind could be a variable, of course.
    Why would I like KIA or Hyundai better, for the warranty? I do like some KIA and Hyundai's...but the warranty doesn't come into play as I usually sell before they expire.

That's pretty good mileage, is your's the manual?
    All SFEs are automatics.
    Automatic Transmission, Cruise Control, Power Moonroof, Alloy Wheels, and "NO" SFE Package!
    I believe so, but check www.ford.com for specifics.
    Well I assure you, the Fuel Economy that I Posted in regards to (my) 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback with automatic transmission of 33 mpg city and 41 mpg highway were with the A/C on as you say, "Full Blast". Living here in South Florida, having the A/C on, in (not) an option!
    I can`t speak for the 2012 model Ford Fiesta, but in regards to the 2011 model, the only difference between the SFE and the non-SFE Fiesta`s were the ugly steel wheels and covers vs the optional Alloy Wheels and the upgrade to the allegedly "Low Rolling Resistance Tires". All the other item you mentioned were included and put on (all) Fiesta models regardless of Trim: S, SE, SEL, and SES. The Speed/Cruise Control was available in one of the (upgrade convenience packages). The Underbody shields and Blockers on the lower grill were (included) as standard equipment on (all) 2011 Ford Fiesta`s. I know that the 2012 Ford Focus has very different specifications on its SFE Package, but I doubt that it applies to the 2012 Ford Fiesta. IMO, you will never reclaim the costs of purchasing the SFE Package, even if you gain the extra 1 mpg. The 2012 Kia Rio5 has an extra cost Idle/Stop/Go Eco Package that is supposed to provide an extra 1 mpg fuel savings too. For the extra cost of that feature, once again, you will never get back in savings, the initial expense.
    ".....The Underbody shields and Blockers on the lower grill were (included) as standard equipment on (all) 2011 Ford Fiesta`s...."

That is not true at all. Go to your Ford dealer and crawl under a 2011 SFE and you will see a bunch of plastic panels covering many parts of the undercarriage that are not on your Fiesta or mine (SE) for that matter. Then look at the lower part of the SFE's grill and you will see blockers that, again, are not on our cars.

I do agree with you though, that it is not worth the money for the SFE package. A person would likely never recoup the cost.
    First of all, I`d have to search out every Ford dealer within a 500 mile radius to possibly find either a 2011 or 2012 Ford Fiesta that has the SFE Package. Secondly, I pre-ordered (my) 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback in Mar of 2010. I took delivery of it in July of 2010. At the Miami International Auto Show in the (fall) of 2009, I spoke to a Ford Factory Rep and asked about the SFE option with the "pre-production" model they had on display. He told me that the only difference on the 2011 Fiesta with or without the SFE Package was the specific steel wheels and wheel covers and the low rolling resistance tires, period! When I ordered (my) vehicle in Mar of 2010, the Salesman had the pre-order specification and price manuel of every option and it concurred exactly what the Factory Spokesperson told me at the Auto Show. Maybe in later production models they (may) have added some small trim detail change and it indeed may be different on the 2012 Ford Fiesta`s being built today, however when the "first" production models were being assembled, the SFE contained only the steel wheels and the different tires. I do agree with you that regardless if now both the 2012 Ford Fiesta and the 2012 Ford Focus (do) have some cosmetic changes that apply to the SFE Option, whatever it is will never return its initial cost. That`s a Fact!
    Here is a link showing the actual underbody panels that the SFE has. The link also has a complete list of components to complete the SFE package. Ford was originally going to include the aluminum wheels and spare for the SFE package but found they did not need the weight savings to achieve the 40 mpg advertised. So about mid year (2010) they switched back to steel wheels with hub caps and a standard spare and also lowered the price of the package to reflect the downgrade.

http://www.fiestafaction.com/forums/eco-fiesta-driver/33720-sfe-underbody-panels- .html
    Well as they say, "Pictures (usually) don`t lie". I guess that as usual, early production vehicles, (such as mine) are subject to different equipment and modification changes which the Manufacturer always prints as a disclaimer. Funny, I was told that my "early-pre-order" 2011 Fiesta would have a delayed "late delivery date" due to the fact that I specified the Power Moonroof option. Guess what, my vehicle was one of the first Fiestas that the Car Carrier dropped off at my Dealer, go figure? The bottom line is that for the added price that Ford charges for the SFE Package and the estimated 1 or 2 mpg gained, to either order that option, purchase the parts afterwards or remove the spare tire and jack assembly kit from the trunk that weights less then a bag of groceries is pure folly and madness, IMO. Glad I stand corrected, (but) I know that in fact, the specifications of the optional SFE Package (did) change sometime after the Fiesta was launched. Thanks for providing that very informative link!
  • drvettedrvette Member Posts: 99
    Is this MPG figures from the trip computer or via the odometer ?

Many vary greatly, also check the odometer by driving 10 miles down an interstate hwy and compare the Mile Markers to the Odometer reading.

Mine was off 3% [optimistic] I do not have a trip computer BTW
  • drvettedrvette Member Posts: 99
    From what I've read the 6-sp "Auto" transmission is really a Manual gearbox with a dual-clutch setup controlled electronically.

This is probably why users are having odd shifting patterns..

My question is to the dealer, "How much will it cost to replace this dual-clutch setup ?

More than likely it will be cheaper to own over the long haul than a true Automatic.

just my $0.02 worth [ as a hopefully soon to be a 2012 Fiesta owner]

DrVette