Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Fiesta Real World MPG

Comments

• dbdadbda Member Posts: 9
    I get 33 MPGs when i drive in traffic. Recently I brought my fiesta in to the dealer and complained about the jerky transmission. The dealer reset the transmission. It got a little better, but it still jerks around at slow speeds.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    I test drove a 2012 Accent SE yesterday and it was a nice ride. Hyundai is proud of it and I almost bought it. Luckily I researched it here on Edmund's and noticed that the insurance was higher on the true cost to own so I called my insurance agent and sure enough it was 80% higher than a Fiesta SE. I am picking up my new Fiesta tomorrow. I got the SE hatch 5 speed manual. I found the Ford dealer was honest and I have no comment on the Hyundai dealer :mad:
  • phill1phill1 Member Posts: 319
    edited December 2011
    Not sure what State or Province you live in or why it should make any difference but I find it very odd that the costs of insuring either a new Hyundai Accent or a comparable Ford Fiesta would be much different. I own both a 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback with automatic transmission and also recently purchased a new 2012 Kia Rio5 Hatchback, a vehicle (very) similar in cost and design as its sibling twin, the Hyundai Accent Hatchback. My automobile insurance (does not) reflect much difference in cost with both vehicles having the identical coverage.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I found that large discrepancy between two similar vehicles odd too...but it also changes from insurance company to insurance company.

A few years ago when comparing similar cars I found that VW's were the cheapest to insure; when I asked one of the agents they said because of the favorable crash tests (at the time it was a VW CC).

But...the difference wasn't 80% :) maybe $100 for the year.
    I have a 17 year old driver so that might be the difference. When I asked my agent why the Fiesta was $380 a year and the Accent was $680 a year he told me that he was not sure but guessed it was the crash ratings. I looked up the crash ratings and the Fiesta is a IIHS top pick for its class. It has good across the board. The Accent has good for the most part but only an acceptable on side impact. I am guessing that is the difference. $300.00 a year is not a lot to some people but over the next 10 years that will be a nice vacation.
  • iamziamz Member Posts: 542
    I'm just surprised you can get the Fiesta insured for only $380 a year with a 17 year old driver.

I'm 46 with no tickets and accidents on my record and pay about $700 a year. And that's with a $1250 deductible.
    I totally agree with iamz. Where in the hell do you live where you can insure a brand new vehicle, be it a 2012 Ford Fiesta or a Honda 50cc Moped Scooter with or without a 17 year old driver with Full coverage including liability, property damage, comprehensive, without a $5000 deductible, for only $3000 @ year. Wanna share the name of your insurance company? You can`t be located anywhere near a metro city. As far as the safety ratings go on the 2012 Hyundai Accent and Kia Rio5, they received "top" ratings recently with the european equivalent of our NHTSA and Insurance Institute rating that perform staged car crashes here in North America. The only significant safety feature difference that I`m aware of is the Ford Fiesta has an extra airbag installed to protect the passengers knees upon impact that the Accent and Rio does`nt have.
    Did you mean for a 6 month policy? $31 per month sure sounds appealing no matter what age the insured :)

That rate (for me, not a 17 year old) sounds about right for a 6 month policy...

I pay approx $400 for each of my vehicles for a 6 month policy...
    I live in Cincinnati and remember the Fiesta/Accent was the 3rd car on the insurance policy. I am paying $1500.00 a year for the first 2 cars one of which is a 2004 Caviler that only has liability on it. So when I called to add the Fiesta or Accent is when I got the $380 fiesta additional or the $680 Accent additional. I do love my insurance company. I do not know if I am allowed to say names on this forum? but they have been great to me and a heck of a lot cheaper than the company that is on your side ;) Bottom line is call your agent to see what kind of rate you will get before purchasing.
    edited December 2011
    iamz: Why are you so angry? Look at the crash data here http://www.cars.com/hyundai/accent/2012/safety-ratings/ It gets a bunch of acceptable score including a final grade of acceptable on side impact. As far as my insurance bill I just bought the Fiesta for me (48 year old) so it made my total bill go from $1500 to $1880.00 a year. My son drives the 04 cavalier with liability only. My insurance company is Donegle insurance. Look them up they have been great to me.
    Hackattack5, I think you meant to reply to Phill1.

He used the phrase "Where in the hell do you live...."

I don't think he was angry though. ;)
    Sorry you took offense to my terminology of of "where the hell", just an expression. You explained (now) that the increase in your annual premiums went up from $1500 to $1880 for both your 04 Cavalier (and) adding the the 2012 Fiesta. Thank makes sense, since your only carrying liability on the 04 Cavalier. I live in Urban South Florida, have both a 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback and a 2012 Kia Rio5 Hatchback with 11k/300 liability, 100k property damage, full comprehensive coverage with $100 deductible and full collision with $500 deductible and both vehicles cost me a total of $1200 annually. Of course, my wife an I are 56 and 66, and we have no children except our 2 Golden Retrievers. My insurance company is Auto Owners, very highly rated too.
    Oh, almost forgot. Check out the Kia Blog, www.kiaworld.com. It has a interesting video showing the 2012 Kia Rio5 being tested in Europe by EuroPCAP, their equivalent of the NHTSA. European safety standards are much less then here in North America and the 2012 Kia Rio still got its top "5 Star" safety rating, go figure.
  • obktobkt Member Posts: 35
    When I sold my 1999 Miata automatic and bought a 2011 Fiesta SE, my insurance went up $6, to a total of $217 for 6 months. That's with full coverage and $500 deductable. Insurance Co is USAA. I'm 69 years old.
    Yep it all depends on where you live, driving record and the right insurance company.
    OK I just filled up the tank for the first time. The computer said I got 37.3 miles per gallon. My math said I got 37.17 miles per gallon. That was a 50/50 mix of driving with an average speed of 38MPH. I am very happy with this gas mileage.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    That sounds great! I also like that the computer is so close to the manually calculated numbers. My Subaru is generally 1-1.5MPG optimistic. I can't help but feel disappointed when the dash reads 27.0 MPG and I end up with 25.5 when I enter the numbers into the log. :(
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    What a hoot! If getting 1.5 (less) mpg causes you disappointment, let that be the biggest one you ever must experience. Drive by a Hospital lately and notice the Parking Lot filled to capacity?
    The reality is that on most Fiestas, the computer will rutinely read about 2 mpg higher. You'll most likely see this on your future tanks.
    Does anyone know how the computer figures out the gas mileage?
    heh ;)

taking it to the extreme :P

...then tell your kids...there are people starving in Africa...eat your broccoli!

'disappointment' likely got lost in translation; he probably meant: 'it didn't meet expectations'...but yes, your message is true, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things :shades:
    Hahahaha; indeed.

Point taken, Phill! :blush:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    iamz:
    You are correct. Ever since I reported 37 MPG I have not been able to match it. Oh the computer says 37 but my math say 35. I am not complaining I am more curious on how the computer figures MPG. I would guess the device that figures what the air/fuel mixture is the same thing that reports gas usage but I do not understand what fools it into reporting more than real MPG? I do kick it out of gear and let it coast to red lights.
    edited January 2012
    I don`t want to beat this issue to death since it already has been. My year old 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback with automatic transmission has produced 33-35 mpg city and 41-43 mpg highway from day one! Now with just over 16,000 miles driven, nothing has changed and the fuel economy remains constant. My 2012 Kia Rio5 Hatchback with automatic transmission that is barely 3 months old with about 1000 miles driven is getting much worse fuel economy despite the fact that they both have a 1.6 ltr engine and the Kia Rio has Gas Direct Injection which produces a bit more power (but) the fuel economy is no where near that of the Ford Fiesta. The 2012 Kia Rio5 is getting between 28-31 city and 36-38 highway. Both vehicle are about the same size and weight. Nothing to panic about but none the less, still a bit disappointing.
    Phil1: My 2012 SE 5 speed manual pretty much matches your auto for around town driving but I am pretty sure I will not see 43MPG on the highway. my Fiesta runs at 3100RPM @ 70MPH and I believe the auto is around 2600RPM. The good thing is I bought it to run around town anything more than that and we take my wife's 2012 Sonata limited :)
    edited February 2012
    Not that it has anything whatsoever to do with Fuel Economy but despite the so far somewhat inferior (lower) MPG my 2012 Kia Rio5 Hatchback is getting, it still has a leg up on the Fiesta in a few area`s. It has a much higher (and adjustable) Drivers Seat which allows much better frontal vision regardless of lowering the steering wheel adjustment. Has much more front seat leg room (width) for added comfort, a bit more acceleration punch due to its GDI engine, a standard Surius/XM Radio. Unfortunately, the Kia Rio5 has the worst speakers of any vehicle I have ever owned and my Ford Fiesta even with`s it base standard radio with only 4 speaks and no Sync system is much superior. I love the looks of the 2012 Kia Rio`s exterior too, "very European" but I still give my Ford Fiesta the "Crown" and wins the Swimsuit competition for looks. Parked next to each other in my driveway, they look like a handsome couple, the Fiesta in candy red metallic with the stone interior and the Rio5 in clear white with 2 tone black and beige interior.
  • joecirwinjoecirwin Member Posts: 1
    It is hard to find anyone talking about Fiesta mpg. We have just under 13,000 miles on our 2011 Fiesta and average around 35-36 around town. Just wondering if that is rare since they call for 29mpg. We drove from Tennessee to Texas and back for Christmas (2011) and got 38-39 driving about five miles over the speed limit much of the time; I am very ok with that. While in Texas we topped 40 mpg for the first and only time. Just wondering if anyone else gets that good around town?
    I`ve had my 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback since July of 2010 and have got consistent 33-35 mpg city and 41-43 mpg highway at speeds of 75 to 80 mph. with the A/C always on. Same mpg from break in to present 14K miles. On the other hand, I have a new 2012 Kia Rio5 LX Hatchback that I bought Nov of 2011 with a similar 1.6 ltr. engine (but) with the GDI Gas Direct Injection which is (supposed) to achieve better fuel economy. Well I have to admit, it appears to provide better performance but at the cost of inferior gas mileage. The Kia Rio barely gets 30 mpg city and 37 mpg highway with less then 4k driven so far. Got to hand it to Ford, they engineered a vehicle that actually exceeds the EPA Fuel Estimates! When have you seen that lately. Still love my 2012 Kia Rio5 Hatchback but the gas milage is a bit disappointing.
  • ronelloronello Member Posts: 5
    My 2-month old 2012 Ford Fiesta SE Sedan with automatic transmission is only giving me 24-25 mpg in the city, with about 40% traffic, and AC on (low). The car has reached around 1000 miles, the average speed shown on the car is 20 mph. I am a pretty conservative driver, and step on the gas lightly at signals. Do I need to give the car some time to reach that 30-33 mpg city that everyone's bragging about, or is there some inherent issues with the car that need to be checked? Is it worth taking it to the dealership and getting it checked, or am I being a tad impatient? Thanks!
    I don't see it getting any better...I do not have a fiesta...so take it for what it's worth :)

You should track the miles driven as well; I'd guesstimate it's also very low.

I suspect that at 20mph average you're spending a long time idling...which is zero mpg :) Our mini-van is terrible for mpg because we spend so long idling (drive-through, picking up kids, very short trips to the store...)

If you drove an average 20mph -- steady -- through a park I think you'd have fabulous mpg numbers...but still 20mph.

I've never seen anybody disappointed with their new car mileage all of a sudden report that the engine has finally 'broken-in' and is now a fuel-miser.

Or put another way; I don't see putting on another 10k miles resulting in a 25% fuel efficiency increase.

What did you drive previously? What mpg on the same route?
    Get to you local Ford dealership immediately. Something is definitely (very) wrong! My 2011 Fiesta SE Hatchback with automatic transmission has produced 34 mpg City and between 41- 43 mpg Hwy since it was taken home. On the other hand, my 2012 Kia Rio5 with the same 1.6 ltr engine is producing about 27 mpg city and maybe 35 mpg hwy. Your Fiesta needs to be looked at, NOW!
    @Ivan, Thanks for the inputs! I see the point you make about having a worse mpg when driving intermittently with a lot of idling time as well, versus driving steadily at 20mph..my hunch is that I still should not be seeing such bad numbers even with the former case. This is my first car in San Diego, CA..so I cant really compare. I'll definitely get it checked at the dealership.
    @Phil, thanks for the prompt reply...I'm taking it to the dealership tomorrow, and will post my experience later.
    edited April 2012
    If your average for mph is 20 then you are likely sitting at traffic lights or stuck in stop and go traffic during rush hour and not moving. Like ivan 99 said, your mpg are exactly 0 when that is happening. You're also running your AC all the time. Only 24-25 mpg sounds about right to me.

How many miles to and from work do you drive?
    Funny, I live here in South Florida, get caught in traffic on I95 as well as in City traffic. A/C is on constantly and (my) 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback with A/T still gets 33/35 mpg city and when on the highway at speeds of 75/80 mph always get between 41/43 mpg. Like I posted earlier, something is (drastically) wrong with that Ford Fiesta and it needs to be looked at immediately. Case closed! Now my 2012 Kia Rio5 LX Hatchback, thats a different story. This (dog) gets around 26 mpg city and never more then 34 mpg highway although it has an EPA rating of 30 mpg city and 40 mpg hyw. Kia Dealership says with only 3000 miles driven, it`s still just breaking in. Odd, the Ford Fiesta achieved the same mpg from day one! If sitting in traffic, stuck at a traffic light, etc would result in 20 mpg with just a tiny 1.6 ltr. 4 cyl. engine, and that seems about right, I guess one would expect to run out of gas (immediately) if they had a hemi V8, correct?
    heh.

He didn't say how long we went between fill-ups...just he got 26mpg and averaged 20 mph. Getting zero miles (idling) will always get 0 mpg; it depends on how long you're sitting as to how it'll affect your overall mpg average.

That tank could have lasted him a month. 5 miles to work...5 miles back averaging 26mpg.

26 mpg can get you 10 miles per day on one tank of gas...for a month.
    Tank (12 G) @ 26mpg = 312 miles range
    10 miles per day * 30 days = 300 miles.

Of course this is all made up.

He could have problems...but he didn't say any warning lights were on, or smoke was coming out the tail pipe, or it was hesitating, hiccuping, stalling, etc.

I thought he said he was in San Diego...isn't that hilly? I remember getting 27 mpg with my Infiniti Q45 on a trip. When I would have the instant-mpg showing it was really interesting to see the mpg drop to 7-8 when there was a slight incline.

Anyway...I suspect they'll come back and say...sorry...no error codes, everything is fine.

The hemi would run out of gas sooner...even with a 19 gallon tank :)
    Hey phill1,

Just for kicks, take a look at your average mph reading on your Fiesta and report back if you would please. Mine is usually between 40 and 45.
    @All, thanks for the inputs! Took the car to the dealership yesterday, and the mechanic drove the car for 20 miles (mostly highway miles) and reported 42.8 mpg to me using his IDS system (in addition to the dash). No defects were reported to me at this time, and he suggested the same plausible causes for the low mpg numbers that you guys mentioned (lots of idling, excessive stop-start in traffic, etc...)
    @iamz, I drive 12 miles (round-trip) to and from work each day...
    @ivan, your calculations are pretty accurate...I have filled up a full tank approx. once a month. At this point, I dont have anything to compare to coz everyone's average mph seems to be much higher..but iamz and phil, it would be nice to know what mpg numbers you guys are getting at average 40-45 mphs...thanks again!
    ronello,

my long term average is between 39-40 mpg. In the winter I get around 37 mpg and in the summer I get around 42 mpg. I have a long 90 mile, round trip commute that is mostly rural 2 lane highway where I drive about 55 mph.

I've found through testing that my Fiesta doesn't reach full operating temperature until I've driven about 7 or 8 miles (in the winter). A car won't get its ideal mpg's until the engine reaches its normal operating temperature. So, with your short commute, you're unfortunately getting hit with a penalty there also along with the stop and go driving of city traffic.

Take it on a road trip and I think you'll be pretty pleased with the numbers you'll be getting on the highway.

Good luck! ;)
    I never pay much attention the the on board computer read-out indicating the vehicle MPG. I think its never very accurate and the best way to know what kind of Fuel Economy you are getting is simply dividing miles driven by fuel used. I also don`t pay much attention to exactly what speed achieves the best fuel economy either. I drive to the speed limit in city driving plus 5 mph when driving conditions permit and usually drive the speed limit plus 10 mph weather and driving conditions also factored in. I don`t fixate on 1 or 2 mpg changes regardless of what speed I`m traveling at. I just know that the Ford Fiesta "exceeds" the EPA ratings, (when have you seen that lately) while my 2012 Kia Rio5 gets no where near its EPA rating, both vehicle being driven under the same conditions identically. Great Job Ford, not so much Kia. I do notice that the Fuel Level Indicator moves ever so slowly on the Ford Fiesta while the same indicator on the Kia Rio5 starts moving downward as soon as you leave the filling station. 30 miles driven and the indicator has dropped from slightly (over) Full to down an 1/8 of a Tank. I`m sure the same is also true for the Hyundai Accent which uses the identical mechanical components.
    edited April 2012
    I agree with iamz; ronello, you're looking at a perfect storm for poor mileage! Given that you don't have any other vehicle with which to compare, and given the analysis done by the dealership indicated it was operating within the expected efficiency range, I think you can rule out a definite problem with the car.

Seems a shame to have a (fairly) new car and only drive it one tank per month! I think you need to come up with an excuse for a road trip... even a short one will do! :P
  • dann_kdann_k Member Posts: 1
    I've actually kept rather extensive logs of my Mpg since I didn't really buy into the 40 Mpg thing when I got the car in Nov 2010.

I've noticed that I get my best mileage doing 40 - 50 Mph. I maintain about a 45 Mpg rate at that speed over fairly level ground.

At highway speeds of 55+ I get about 42 - 43 Mpg.

I have noticed that the car does go through a lot of fuel accellerating IF you're an agressive accellerator. If you're content to speed up slowly, keeping your RPM under 2500 throughout the process, you don't have that immediate quick-consumption that take 5 miles of no stop driving to get you back to 40 Mpg for your trip. I learned this over the first few months of owning the car, and when I changed my style of accelleration, it made a solid 4-5 Mpg overall improvement.

Right now, at about 23,000 miles - having last reset my Mpg Counter at 10,000 Miles (13,000 on this "trip"), I'm averaging 38.9 Mpg. I have a 21 mile commute of which 15 are highway miles. The other 6 miles has me encountering about 6 stops on average for lights. I live in NJ - so I run the AC from May until Sept.
    You Poster`s are a "Hoot". So much detail and scientific analysis. Its safe to say, the Ford Fiesta is probably the most (non) Hybrid vehicle manufactured in the World that offers, good styling, decent interior room, an respectable performance in a B-Segment Sub-Compacy Car, period! ON the other hand the 2012 Hyundai Accent and Kia Rio, exit stage right. Sub Par fuel economy and no way reaches EPA Fuel Estimates. The Rio5, nice looks, comfortable seating, better performance thanks to "GDI" but its negated by sub-par mpg.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is looking for a car shopper who thinks 40 MPG is a requisite before they buy. If you have recently shopped for a car, and you have only considered cars that get 40 MPG, and you are willing to share your story with a reporter, please contact pr@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Tuesday, April 24, 2012 at noon Pacific/3 p.m. Eastern.
    I can confirm everything you said. Keeping in the 40-50 mph range seems ideal. I don't want to lengthen my otherwise long commute though, so I generally drive at 55 mph. And I found the same thing you did on acceleration. Even moderate acceleration from a stop is hard to recover from. When I need to stop, going into neutral or just coasting in gear helps quite a bit too. My lifetime average after 27k miles is just above 39 mpg.
    @All, I made a 2-hour trip to LA this weekend and am very pleased with the numbers-- touched 45 mpg on the highway (with cruise on), and the overall trip made 38 mpg with 80% highway and 20% city driving...this baby does exceptionally well on long trips!
    @Dann, thanks for the tips! I'm a pretty conservative driver and never push the engine beyond 3000 rpm (well, at least I try not to!). It does take a little getting used to the ~3 gear shifts upto 30mph, but its a very smooth ride after that!
    @Phil, could not agree with you more...this car does way better than its EPA estimates of 39 mpg on the highway (my EPA sticker does show a range of 36-44 mpg highway though)
    As an owner of a 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback, I purchased (that) vehicle in July of 2010 because of reported excellent fuel economy as well as IMO, excellent styling. This year I replaced my aging 2006 Kia Rio5 Hatchback with a 2012 Kia Rio5 Hatchback that purportedly was (supposed) to get 30 mpg city and the (magic) 40 mpg highway. Still pleased with this vehicles styling and comfort but as far as fuel economy, disappointed. A new highly touted vehicle boasting GDI fuel injection as well as electric power steering assist and a state of the art 6 speed automatic transmission and it gets no where near the EPA Fuel Estimates while my 2011 Ford Fiesta "Exceeds" the EPA fuel estimates for both city and highway driving. Had I known the somewhat disappointing fuel economy, I would have probably picked the 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback that would have been considerably larger, more powerful and got better real time gas mileage.
  • troylikesbikestroylikesbikes Member Posts: 132
    2011 Ford Fiesta S, 5 speed stick, Denver to LA and back, 80 mph most of the way, all interstate, minor A/C use, light load. Best tank of 44 mpg, worst tank of 38 mpg, average for 2200 miles was 41.1 mpg.

Next trip is back east, slower speeds, hoping for even better. Car has 7700 miles on it right now, running 5w-30 engine oil, regular unleaded.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    In the last week, I have had a couple of 400 mile+ fill ups with my mom's Fiesta SES hatch.
    First was a mix of highway/city in the rain/defroster on and returned 34.2 mpg(403 miles/11.8 gallons).
    Yesterday. all highway from central CT to Wilkes-Barre PA and back returning and average of 42.1(405 miles/9.6 gallons).
    One leg of each trip was 3 people plus large suitcase. The other was 2 people no luggage.
    Car had 2700 miles on it last week, now 3500.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I`m not sure if the Ford Focus meets the EPA 40 mpg Highway estimate, but as for the Ford Fiesta, I think its safe to assume it delivers the best all around fuel economy in a B-Segment, Sub-Compact Vehicle that is "non-hybrid" or without Eco-Boost (Turbo Charged) of GDI, Gas Direct Injection. When is the last time (ANY) vehicle Domestic or Foreign actually met or (exceeded) the EPA Fuel Economy Estimates? Great Job "Blue Oval"!