Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Ford Focus

Comments

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    CR does not like MFT because they think it's a safety issue. Never mind that you can do anything you need to do while driving using steering wheel controls or voice control. And you're correct they don't differentiate between one time problems and long term recurring problems.
    When the 2012s first came out you heard lots of owners complaining about the powershift and some were actually defective. But the defective ones have been replaced and two software updates seem to have fixed the problems with the powershift. I don't hear any new Focus owners complaining about the tranny in the new vehicles whereas before it was very common. That tells me the problem is at least 95% fixed. There will always be people who don't like the way it works just like they don't like CVTs. But most get used to it.

The one thing that still surprises me when I drive my daughter's car is the lack of engine braking when you're in reverse and let off the gas. It basically freewheels until you hit the brakes. Not a problem, just unexpected.
  • podpod Member Posts: 176
    Reliability is determined over time as you say. Ford has typically been very reliable in my experience, very reliable. I regret the recent concentration of gadgets and screens and other aspects of the vehicle that strike me as unnecessary at least and dangerous at worst. Most of the Ford advertisements concentrate on the presence of the many "assist" devices all of which are unnecessary and add expense. Many of the reviewers concentrate on ludicrous aspects such as ambient lighting, type of headlight, whether there are LED taillights, whether there are fog lights, the resolution of the various screens and how easy it is to scroll, etc. One very excellent review (IMO) was in Automobile Magazine which compared 5 cars (Dart, Focus, Maxda 3i, honda civic and hyundai elantra). I thought their treatment of the focus was fair and measured. It placed fourth of 5 but was judged the best drivers car. The criticism of the focus seem fair enough, not over the top. They point out that the Focus was easily the most expensive car in the comparo. That is one true fact about Ford, the price of all models has crept up between 1-2K over the past 2-3 years. I think the dodads contribute to the uppricing and I regret that since I want none of them. You can opt our of many by going for the base model but there is a creep to include some of these unnecessary gadgets. Whether it is typical behavior for a DCT or not the Focus DCT has a bad reputation which seems justified since it is the car owners who are complaining. Perhaps the salesmen should alert the drivers during the test drive that the DCT is a different beast than they have encountered. The customer is always right (even if the gearheads understand the facts and think otherwise). I think Ford has lost standing over the past year or so because of the many small snafus which have marked the introduction of the new models. When Ford asks for a premium price they have to deliver a premium product without explanations or excuses. I think they have got ahead of themselves and need to slow down and focus again on quality as perceived by the people who buy their products. Too much advertising which tauts gadgets rather than the quality driving experience. I truly regret the trend toward infomatics, nannies and other gadgets which cost design time and money and distract the driver and divert eyes from the road. It's not just Ford but I am a Ford loyalist so I put my complaint under their name. Stop trying to be "cool"; be good.
  • kam327kam327 Member Posts: 115
    edited January 2013
    "CR does not like MFT because they think it's a safety issue."

I don't know about that, if that was it all companies that offer touch screens would be hammered. Ford's just seems to still have some teething issues. I thought the headline last year read something like "Ford drops to 2nd to last place due primarily to MyFord Touch issues." Another recent comparo judged BMW's iDrive 1st and MyFord Touch last or close to it. And remember when everyone hated iDrive.....

"I don't hear any new Focus owners complaining about the tranny in the new vehicles whereas before it was very common. That tells me the problem is at least 95% fixed."

Uhhhhh, go to another popular focus forum, in which I'm an active member, and you'll see plenty of fresh complaints (shuddering, grinding, etc.) My own Focus has been good overall but has had periods of bad DCT behavior. Finally had the clutches replaced in November, resulting performance was a little better, took it out one morning and drove it real hard, and voila it's back to good behavior. I suspect it's the software and in particular the "adaptive learning" that's the culprit. The software is close but still needs a little work (same with MFT). Your estimate of 95% may be a bit optimistic, but certainly most DCTs appear to work fine.
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    edited January 2013
    OK, so dual clutch does have a problem, even the pioneer VW/Audi got nailed by "unexpected (therefore dangerous) neutral" syndrome due to overheating from heavy traffic & hot weather.

So, bottom line -- the VW Tiguan & other VW's w/ the 5-cyl got away with a Toyota slushbox, just like how the previous Focus was equipped w/ Mazda's slushbox.

At least my Golf 5-cyl 6-sp slushbox, when using manual mode, can leap off the line even more abruptly than its 5-sp manual version, not to mention the smaller-displacement turbo-lag GTI :P
    One very excellent review (IMO) was in Automobile Magazine which compared 5 cars (Dart, Focus, Maxda 3i, honda civic and hyundai elantra). I thought their treatment of the focus was fair and measured. It placed fourth of 5 but was judged the best drivers car. The criticism of the focus seem fair enough, not over the top.

Careful though. Just a year earlier that same Focus placed first against several of the same cars. Kind of puts Automobile's objectivity and consistency into question.

They point out that the Focus was easily the most expensive car in the comparo. That is one true fact about Ford, the price of all models has crept up between 1-2K over the past 2-3 years.

In the July '11 comparo I referenced above the Focus had the lowest as tested price of the 6 cars tested.

The Focus does seem to be a little more expensive than some of the competition, though it's hard to do an apples to apples comparison these days. And in my case I got such a huge discount (~%20) on my Focus that hands down I got way more value than I would've gotten with any other car in the segment. Of course I'm sure my experience violates Ford's pricing strategy.. ;)
  • podpod Member Posts: 176
    That is why I called the automobile magazine comparo fair with respect to the Focus. They praise many of its qualities but feel that the competition has improved and that some issues have been identified since july 2011 which is a long time ago. The Mazda skyactiv 3i won. It and the Dart Rallye(second place) were not around in 2011 and the third place Civic has been cosmetically freshened. They did not disrespect the Focus in fact chose it as the best drivers car by some distance. With respect to all facets (including price, interior, trim levels, etc.), however, they feel that the Focus has been engaged by some fine competition since 7/2011 and has lost the lead. I find that a reasonable conclusion, certainly not inconsistent given the significant time span between the reports.
    I would choose the Focus even among the current five (and always wonder whether the Mazda would have been a slightly better choice) but I am a Ford guy. The Improved Focus was new and revolutionary in 2011 but that was then. The competition has caught up for sure and it is a race again.
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707
    Ford doesn't use a CVT in the Focus. They use an automated dual-clutch gearbox.
    I know that. I was comparing the way consumers react to the different feel of the DCT in the Focus to how they react to CVTs in other vehicles. In both cases they're working as designed but they feel different than a regular torque converter automatic.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    I drive my Focus like a typical old man (easy starts/stops and nothing over 70mph) now I have noticed that when I do have to get on it (floor it) to get out of the way or pull out into traffic that my transmission goes back to the fussy shifting where it’s not sure which way to shift and the clutch shudder. Fortunately for me I have only had to get on a few times since owning it. It will take a week of driving it normal (for me) and then it will shift just as smooth as a baby’s rear end. I am just sayin
    I drive my Focus like a typical old man (easy starts/stops and nothing over 70mph)

I believe driving the Focus's DCT like an old man is detrimental to it in the long run. It wants to be driven aggressively for optimal performance. The couple times I have had a shudder and sloppy shifting develop over the past 11k miles, I've taken it out to a country road, done 5 full throttle 0-60 accelerations in a row and then driven real aggressively for a while, and the shudder goes away for good.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I think in the olden days it was referred to as the "Italian tune-up" :P

Yes officer...I needed to clear the carbs... :shades:
    An unnamed family member claims that the local police and highway patrol used to do that with an older lady who had an older jaguar that was always breaking down in the street because she only drove it to the store and back at low speed. They offered to take it out on the interstate and "blow it out" for her every once in awhile. It's good to be da king.......
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    Kam327: Maybe that is what I am missing. I always wonder if I ever really broke in the clutches on this thing by driving it easy. The only time I do what you said (blow the carbon out) is when an unsuspecting BMW or Lexus pulls next to me at a red light and thinks they are going to blow by me to get on the highway. I have not got beat yet but we are talking 300 yards before the on ramp and I know when they see the Focus with the old man (49) sitting next to them they probably figure they can send out one more text message before taking off but I don't care.
  • maniac4maniac4 Member Posts: 41
    I have noticed that too old timer. Im a old timer. drove and drive similiar fashion.Thrash that tranny. Nail the go pedal and burnish in them clutches............It acts right after that!!!!
    it worked ;) for many others as well
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    edited January 2013
    Drove one today at my new job and did not like it at all! I knew going in that the auto tranny was gonna be a bit weird, and the other guy warned me about it also so i was prepared. The car had only 1426 on it and it was very herky jerky and when I had to pass on the expressway, it was not awe inspiring. The seat fabric is also terrible...just felt and looked so cheap. The new Altima I drove later on in the day had much better seats with grippy fabric and very supportive chairs, something the Focus lacked. I so wanted to like the Focus.

I will say the hatch is definitely a looker and I did like the SEL trim, except for the seat fabric. And if they address the seats and the tranny, I would definitely buy one for my next ride though I would really want one with power seats if they made such an animal. I'm really not a Ford guy...the one we had was pure garbage and the Lincoln's were nothing to write home about. But, if they made the above changes to the Focus, I would buy one in a heartbeat!

Also drove a Ford Edge...very unimpressive but more on that later. Hopefully will try the Fuzion next time. I am looking forward to that!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

That's funny, most report that the Focus seats are among the best in the segment. Certainly the leather seats are and I didn't think the cloth seats in the SEL has any less bolstering than the leather. The seats in the base SE can be expected to be much less comfortable however.

Maybe the car you tested did not have the latest tranny software. It's possible.
    I prefer a cloth more like what the Altima had but that's just personal preference. And since I have spinal issues, I'm very particular about the driver seat. But I really liked the hatch, my daughter has a Versa SL hatch, and think it looks way better than the sedan on this car. As my past posts have shown, I'm definitely not a Ford lover, though I do own some shares of the company. But this car is one on my short list now...seriously!
    Am hoping to drive the new Escape at my job soon, as it is spectacular looking really...prefer it now to the Mazda equivalent...job well done Ford!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited January 2013
    Indeed at first there were a ton of complaints on the early build dates of the ford powershift............................WERE. I think the bulk of complaints was due to no body knew what the bejesus it was......................Are you for certain it had the 137b updated flash?. Just asking.

Cause its cool as all now. Either you love a dual clutch or you hate the dual clutch. there is no middle ground, Sorry about the back injury .That aint no joke.best wishes. I dont know what you can do..........whatever makes your back feel good is all that matters. right? Regardles which year make or model.
    maniac4
    Indeed at first there were a ton of complaints on the early build dates of the ford powershift............................WERE. I think the bulk of complaints was due to no body knew what the bejesus it was......................

To be fair there are still complaints of grinding and shuddering, even with the '13s. My Dec '11 built car (i.e. NOT an "early build") has had shuddering and a clutch failure, but now at 12,000 miles is operating acceptably.

But the complaints do seem to be getting to a smaller and smaller percentage of cars sold. Some owners approaching 50,000 miles on the car have reported perfect operation. And one guy with over 100k on a '12 already reports while the DCT has been a little funky, there have been no mechanical failures.
    100 thousand miles..................dang! lots of miles. :)
    100 thousand miles..................dang! lots of miles.

Yep, apparently they use it in a delivery service. So pretty much constantly on the road.
    In addition to the problems mostly fixed by the latest software there were also some legitimate mechanical problems that are probably still occurring to a small number. I think these are being misinterpreted to be more widespread based on the early issues.
  • griswaldgriswald Member Posts: 33
    Funny about the Focus seats, I test drove a SE with the standard cloth seats and thought they were terrible but my SE with the upgraded sports pkg. seats are some of the most comfortable I've ever had.
    In addition to the problems mostly fixed by the latest software there were also some legitimate mechanical problems that are probably still occurring to a small number. I think these are being misinterpreted to be more widespread based on the early issues.

Yes, some cars have had seals that allowed gear or engine fluid to get on the dry clutches and affect operation. And my car had an improperly disengaging clutch that required replacement. These mechanical issues appear to be few and far between and Ford appears to be fixing them.

Funny about the Focus seats, I test drove a SE with the standard cloth seats and thought they were terrible but my SE with the upgraded sports pkg. seats are some of the most comfortable I've ever had.

Yep the Sport Package on the SE included upgraded bolstering similar to the higher trim levels. The Sport Package is gone for '13 but I think the Appearance Package includes the upgraded bolstering. But they only come in leather. I don't think you can get cloth seats with the upgraded bolstering in '13.
    Either you love a dual clutch or you hate the dual clutch.

I think it's more of a 'either you love a clutch or you hate a clutch'. IE: the feel of a 'manual' clutch in the shifts... or the feel of an 'automatic' torque converter in the shifts.

With so many never feeling the shifting action of any sort of manual, it stands to reason that they'd find it 'wrong'.
    edited January 2013
    Well thats what I really meant, Thanks for straightening that out. I did drive a conventional other brand car today and, I think the dct beats it by a long shot!.I had forgotten how doggy they were/are. Ill keep the dct. this sure does remind me when front wheel drive came around Nobody wanted one, fast forward and.............................perfection.The powershift should work out fairly well. The reviews are getting better. Im glad for ford that the are being better recieved by the populous. Dodge really dont know how much they helped the focus prevail with the dart. ! any thoughts ?
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    It seems that not all fixes are achieved by software upgrades. Human nature tho to have wishful (simple fix) thinking, but yours might be one of the ones with a leaking seal. I think that what kam posted about that might have gotten by you?

Any updates since Nov?
    A manufacturer has to take responsibility for the sales and reputation of their vehicles and their decision to bundle them with tech that is so advanced, it is prone to glitches and far from perfected. We are the guinea pigs that provide the road (read $) to pursuing that perfection (or even just basic as-promised function).

IF Ford wants to get the attention and hoopla from choosing to offer the (so-called) perks of MyTouch, then they also have to own it (it; as in.. its reputation) if it does not perform properly in the hands of those who sprung the extra bucks to get it.

The same can be said for DCT. It is Ford's responsibility (as is any mfr) to ensure a purchaser is INFORMED of potential operational differences over what they might have been accustomed to in the past.

I know you are a Ford guy and indicate a lot of fairness in your posts, but I still say let 'em (Ford) reap what they sow..
    If they want the attention from new and improved and are rolling out new product as fast as Steve Jobs was, then they also have to endure a bit of bad press when they find they didn't actually get right, and when you have the number of issues (recalls etc) for some serious issues, as they are stacking up lately, then maybe it's a good lesson to them that a little slower and surer wins the race. The older I get, like anyone else, the more vehicles we have owned over the years, and I for one am getting damn tired of being their unpaid tester of premature product releases. We are their guinea pigs essentially. And ironically...not only are we not paid to do this...we pay them!!
    Was not the reason they use the DCT in it, for the fuel mileage? From what I've been reading, they sorta failed..and that was even using the (more efficient) dry clutch as opposed to the wet in EU.

And apparently, according to build dates and issues still being reported, can we still attribute all these issues to driver difference learning curves of the DCT? I think your 95% number is a little optimistic.
    Good post.
    The VW 6 sp auto Techtronic is a Toyota trans?

I liked it when I drove one with the 2.5 a year ago. But it is an expensive tranny/car to own maintenance-wise. It seemed to be a magnetic fiend for needing to go back to the dealer for the requisite maintenance schedule dealer stamps. And gosh, they aren't cheap. I really liked the car and still haven't replaced or added to the fleet yet, but that maintenance schedule really put me off..
    Well...I shouldn't say put me off yet, but has caused me some reservations.
    One thing I'm curious about is, where does the dust go from the dry clutch wear? Perhaps the clutch paks are vented to the outside..i.e. Not actually an internal trans component? If so, then it would at least make them more affordably $erviceable than having to go inside. I think VW's in EU are on the inside, and replaced as a unit when troublesome. Weren't they like 5 grand or something just for electronic clutch pak assembly..not counting the gear assembly of the actual trans?

And does the Focus and Fiesta use the same DCT or are they different but identical design? i.e. Is the Fiesta DCT also dry clutch?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I thought the 6AT Tiptronic in the Rabbit/Golf is an Aisin unit. Aisin is part owned by Toyota and supplies trannies to Toyota, but is not Toyota.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Was not the reason they use the DCT in it, for the fuel mileage? From what I've been reading, they sorta failed..and that was even using the (more efficient) dry clutch as opposed to the wet in EU.

They don't seem to be working out all that well in general, possibly because they're being sold as automatic variants, which they aren't. If they were sold as quasi-manual transmissions, which they are, the low-speed roughness might be a little more expected and acceptable. And if they'd program the things to shift faster. And not upshift in manual mode.

Dodge's DCT isn't all that well accepted either, nor is the one Hyundai is using in the Veloster.
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    edited January 2013
    The VW 6 sp auto Techtronic is a Toyota trans?

I liked it when I drove one with the 2.5 a year ago. But it is an expensive tranny/car to own maintenance-wise. It seemed to be a magnetic fiend for needing to go back to the dealer for the requisite maintenance schedule dealer stamps. And gosh, they aren't cheap. I really liked the car and still haven't replaced or added to the fleet yet, but that maintenance schedule really put me off..
    Well...I shouldn't say put me off yet, but has caused me some reservations.

VW 2.5 5-cyl non-turbo (& even the GTI 4-cyl turbo engine in the Tiguan) uses the Aisin Japanese 6-sp auto tranny. Of course, the programming was requested by VW & not Toyota. Despite being a slush box, the lock-up mode is often. & when this big-displacement 5-cyl kicks off in manual mode through the low 1st gear off the line, it leaps forward way ahead of the traffic every time the light turns green :shades: & all I needed to do is using the "manual mode" for the first second, then shift back into "auto mode" for rest of the low-rpm torquy acceleration! So I did not regret for not having the 5-sp manual, which has an annoying long-reach clutch travel!

Only we lucky North Americans get to have this naturally aspirated version of the semi-"Lamborghini Gallardo 10-cyl engine", which uses timing chain (which saves timing-belt related $ for the owner).

Further more, unlike the DSG double-clutcher, this auto tranny requires zero factory maintenance!

The only thing costly, if at all, is the consumption of regular (& not premium) fuel in city driving.

We are talking about a low-price car that provides near limo-like cushy ride w/o a numb steering!

FYI, the wagon version (Golf in Canada; Jetta in U.S.) imported from Mexico is based on the "costier to build" Mk5, so therefore even more reliable. & I like the wagon's rear-seat comfort way better!

It does seem to be working for fuel mileage. Consider the Focus has over 10hp more than the Corolla, Elantra, Civic, etc. and that it gets to 60mph a second quicker or so than them (from several sources), but still gets within 1-2 mpg average of those slower cars.
  • renegade8renegade8 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a used 2012 Ford Focus with about 34k on it. In short, love this car! I heard all the horror stories about the trans prior to buying it. The truth is that it has a different "feel" to it. Does not feel like a traditional automatic, but also does not feel like a manual. I have owned many of each type. This is a hybrid transmission and it has its own feel. Just because it feels different does not mean it is defective. I noticed a slight shudder when I first accelerated during the test drive, which many would equate with a "missing" transmission and therefore a problem. That is not the case with Powershift, it is just the way it works.

You will always hear anecdotal stories from every type of car owner on the planet about whatever particular horror story they are having. The same is true with the Focus. I have read about stalling, missing gears..., but so far I have had none of that. I may eat my words if mine craps out or I get a recall notice from Ford at some point, but right now loving it.
  • jgdarlingjgdarling Member Posts: 11
    Glad you got a good one, Mine was sooo bad I traded it in and will never own a Ford again, Got a dodge Dart and I love it! Good luck with your car!
    That's interesting..Dart, eh? Is it a the dual clutch auto? I sat in one and was impressed with how much seat bottom length they gave it. So many seat bottoms lately are just too short to provide support under your lower thighs unless you're a slight build.
    Drove a Dart at my job today and did enjoy the comfortable seat...nicely bolstered and nice cloth. Got a bit thrashy as I moved up the power band but the sound was distasteful one bit. Hope to get more seat time in the near future. Dodge did a commendable job here folks!

Drove about 10 of these puppies today at work for about 5 miles each from the overflow area back to the rental facility at the airport...most had mileage at 3 or slightly higher...brand new units right off the truck! They had a dark greenish color which was a real looker but red is the only color that really gives this car any justice and in the hatch iteration, it's just plain stunning! Can't really comment on how good/wonky the auto tranny is and will get one within the next few weeks to drive across Alligator Alley here in southern Florida. I think a 4 hour road trip will give me the necessary seat time to form an articulate opinion about how well it works. So far, dare I admit this, but Ford, ya did good with the new Focus folks...real good. Drove a couple of brand new Fusions also and the jury is still out on it. Again, I'm gonna need some quality seat time behind the wheel to formulate an honest opinion here. The exterior looks a bit Jaguarish, but that should surprise no one who knows anything automotive. Not sure how well it's gonna stack up when compared with the Mazda6, the Jetta or the new benchmark in this class, the Honda Accord, probably the best midsize family car on the planet, bar none!

Oh yea the alley. I was raised out there. Its a good ride now since it was widened. But id have to test one on The palmetto in heavy traffic. I think thats where the dual clutchers suffer the most. There is trade offs in most everything made right?.Whats great on a hyway may not be so great in traffic. Hey is auto nation still around? I was a body shop qc inspector at the now defuncted re-conditioning facility in miramar. I bet I know you.

joe
    My previous car, prior to the new Focus, was a VW GTI... which had a dual-clutch.

One of the things I learned was that, for the best response, you need to treat the clutch as a clutch (ie: a manual). So for heavy traffic, you can't simply pull your foot off the brake and immediately slam onto the gas.

Instead, give it the time you'd normally take if you had to press a clutch and move the stick into first... and then press the gas.

Do that, and you'll not experience the herky-jerky start many have complained about in regards to the DCT.

(I mean, if you tried driving a stick like that, you'd get a herky-jerky start as well.)
  • cannon3cannon3 Member Posts: 296
    I am just over 12,000 miles on my Focus. I own an SE Hatch in white. 6spd auto shift. It has the sport pkg, sunroof, winter pkg and convience package. I am averaging 33.7 MPG between city and hwy driving. I have just one complaint. the fuel door is flimsy and does not fit
    totally flush with the body of the car. I am however a perfectionist and most people would probably not notice or even care. Other than that the car is solid, no squeaks, rattles or wind noise. I have not had any problems with my transmission. I took it in at about 2,000 miles and it was "re programmed". The car is fun to drive. Took me a bit to figure out how to really use the auto shift (sport mode) in this car. Once you really know how to use it this car will move pretty well and does have some scoot. If I had to do it all over again, I would probably go dark silver or red for color. White is hard to keep clean. I am washing my car once a week on average, weather permitting of course.
    I really like the red hatch and would get that model if I ever do. I find the radio to be difficult to use but since I don't have the time to really learn it, I shouldn't really complain...just looks a bit complicated. I'm sure over time, the tranny would learn my driving style and not be so herky jerky like the units I've had. The rental fleets love these things but I've only driven sedans up to now. The seats do a commendable job I must say. This is the 1st Ford that I would buy...ever!

• ferris4ferris4 Member Posts: 1
    If I use the key in the door lock to unlock the car door, then I get soft beeping sound for about 10 seconds then the horn starts blasting. I can stop or prevent this by starting the car before the 10 seconds is up.

Does anyone else have this problem with their 2012 Focus?
    Page 173 of the owner's manual:

Disarming the system
    You can disarm the system by any of the following actions:
    • Unlock the doors by pressing the control on your remote entry
    transmitter.
    • Turn the ignition on or start the vehicle.
    • If using a key in the driver’s door to unlock the vehicle, a chime will
    sound when you open the door and you will have 12 seconds to
    disarm the alarm system using any of the actions above, otherwise the
    alarm will trigger.
    Pressing the power door unlock control within the 11 second prearmed
    mode will return the vehicle to a disarmed state.
  • dandydonsatxdandydonsatx Member Posts: 3
    I'm closing in on 5,000 miles with a 2012 SE. Other than a minor initial shudder, the DCT is smooth and runs as advertised. I bought mine rather late in the model year (July) so I believe the tweaks and fixes for the initial bugs were already in place. It was initially herky-jerky, and as I found out later, a computer adjusts for each individual's driving habits, and it began smoothing out after ~2,500 miles. If you wait apx 2 seconds +/- a few tenths, it is practically silky smooth in it's response. Hope this helps.

Don
    Every unit I've driven has had about 6 to 10 miles and the one I drove down to Key West had about 2k on it but was still a bit herky jerky but don't know how many drivers it had had in it's rental lifetime. Still prefer the hatch version as it looks a bit sleeker. Eventually I'll learn how The Sync feature works...as it is now, if the vehicle has Sirius/XM then I listen to that. If not, I plug in my iPod or use the old fashioned cds. Sad that they got rid of the SEL version after just one year. Don't understand the logic in that.