Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    "It is not known what inspired Neil to want to begin racing cars, but what IS known is about his love of cars. Neil Chirico, Road Test Editor for Edmunds.com is ready to answer your questions about the many cars that he has test-driven. Neil also brings you a wealth of knowledge concerning the many questions that you will have about vehicle service, having been in the trenches as a service advisor at the dealership level for many years. Don't miss having your questions answered by one of Edmunds best.

When:
    Tues, March 13th (Tonight) at 5-6pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern

Click on the link below to read more about/to enter the chat:
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/chiricochat031301.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    As I told you in my response to your email, CONGRATULATIONS!

Now give us the goodies! Color, equipment??

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • jimnj07728jimnj07728 Member Posts: 1
    my 98 wrangler often will not start in wet weather. took it to dealer but could not find any problem. anyone have similar problem?
    So far my Thelma Jane hasn't acted up like that. She's a 2001 Sport with about 4600 miles on her now. Not one problem mechanically so far.

tsjay
  • shotgundanshotgundan Member Posts: 8
    Hopefully the Sahara does ship on the 16th. It is a Green in color Sahara with Tan hard top. It is equipped with the 30" Canyon tire and wheel group with the Dana 44 3.73 differential with trac-loc and also with the cruise control option.
    Sounds good! Hope she does ship as scheduled.

Where do you live? I was fortunate enough to live only about seven or eight hours from Toledo, so no rail shipment was involved. Thelma Jane came off the line at 12:13 AM on Dec. 5th, and I picked her up after work on the 8th.

tsjay

• twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    Can't relay info on a Jeep specifically, but on two separate occasions, failure to start in wet weather was a function of bad coil or spark plug wires. On a friends GTI, the end termination from the coil to the distributor was a pile of dust and it just wouldn't start when the air was really damp. New wires fixed it right up, no more problems.

Good luck.

-twylie
    KZ status!!!
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    wait a minute, in message 1436, you said "If I remember correctly, that makes her last few tanks 17.5, 18.0, 17.9, 17.9, and 19.0 from most recent backwards. I'm totally happy with that."

That means you went from 19 to 17.9 to 17.5. That seems like down to me.

Not to nitpick, but I just wanted to make sure I read that right.
  • rb123rb123 Member Posts: 51
    I just wanted to add my thoughts regarding gas mileage. I have my 2001 wrangler 4.0 auto, and I have been getting around 16 to 17 mpg. This does not mean that after every time I fill the tank I'm going to get the exact same gas mileage. If one time it is 16 and the next time it is 15 does not really mean my mileage would be going down. My driving conditions could have been different, I could have had more city driving during that tank, the weather could have been different. So when I see 17.5,18.0,17.9,17.9, and 19.0, those look pretty darn close to me. So to say that the gas mileage is going down is really not true.
  • hosstjhosstj Member Posts: 28
    Hey tsjay sorry to bring up the antenna,I just chalked it up to "one of those Jeep Thangs". Hoss is still only getting 13 to 14 mpg, I am about 10 miles an hour off on speedo, even adding 10 miles to 100 its only 13. Another Jeep Thang!! Only drove abou 50 miles this week had to work late. 1010 happy Jeep miles at this point. replaced factory steering stabilizer this morning w/Rancho, Much better handling and less wheel jerk.
    Ordered Smittybuilt stainless steel tube front,rear and side steps yesterday hoping to have installed on Sat. Wife just said no mo Jeep parts!! So will have to stop for now. Un less something I cant live without

Iam so glad to see everyone who has placed an order getting so close to driving their new Jeep.
    What a Thrill!!! Congrats to all.

Huggin that Jeep everyday!
  • hollissholliss Member Posts: 5
    Hi all! I've been following the board for several months now and have read all the 1400+ previous messages that have been posted here and thought I'd join in. Seems like a well informed group of enthusiasts, who like to exchange info, have fun, share stories, wisdom, opinions, and advise and generally get excited about the Jeepster aspects of their lives.

Plus, I have a couple of questions that have been addressed here already, but now I can't remember the answers and after going back and scanning through the messages, can't seem to find the topic.

I live in Austin,Texas (great Jeep'n in the surrounding hill country). I'm 35 years young (I'm trying to squeeze that into every communication possible since I can 'truthfully' say it only one more day). Tomorrow begins the next leg of my continuing journey toward the big 40, and beyond (I hope) and to help ease the pain, for my b-day (any excuse will do), I'm considering treating myself to a new (2001) Jeep Wrangler. I'm having a little trouble justifying it, because I have a 1998 Jeep Wrangler SE (4cyl) 5-speed, that I practically stole two years ago when I bought it new. I got it cheap. I paid $12,900, which even back then, was well below invoice, though I don't remember how much. Anyway, it only has 21,000 miles on it, and another year left on the factory warranty, so I don't really NEED another one. It was the last 1998 left on the lot in Feb. 1999. It's a deep green with a spice top and spice interior. It had about 5 miles on it when I test drove it. It is pretty well equipped for the price. Vinyl seats, tilt steering, full spare, flip and tumble back seat, full carpeting, am/fm stereo, etc (not the bare bones-steering- wheel-and-one-seat-only versions they bait you with in the advertisements). Still, it doesn't have a CD player, or cruise control, or an a/c, this being the biggie in Texas and why I think it was still on the lot and why I was able to get it so cheap. I intended to have a/c added by the dealer, which they said they could do for about $1,200 (have to include labor), but I never have gotten 'round to it. Just like I never got around to the cruise control, or the cd player and sound bar speakers. It doesn't actually bother me much that there's no a/c, because if it's not raining, I pretty much have the top down, which makes an a/c nearly useless anyway. There's a few times a year that it's hot and muggy and humid AND raining and I have a meeting with full suit and tie, dripping in sweat, I begin to HATE myself for not getting an a/c, but after the day passes, I forget about it, and the next day I'm cruis'n round soak'n up the sun and feeling that life is good again. BUT, I really miss a cruise control, and I'm a total audio file and tired of driving around jamm'n with headphones (although, at highway speeds, makes the whole wind noise debate moot).

So here's my logic. I love the jeep I have. It's great. But it's almost easier to just get a new one than to have to add an a/c, cd player, and cruise. Plus, I'm not very mechanical, and have no desire to be, I want to spend my time and money at play, and not having something repaired. So I don't plan to ever again own a vehicle that's not under warranty. Actually, I haven't had one single problem with my Jeep, yet. Pretty ironic because the car I had before was a Mazda Miata, and the car before that was a Honda Accord, and both were in the shop several times before they had 21,000 miles on them (the Honda had some pretty pricey stuff at 40,000 miles, hence my decision to never be without a warranty again, and why I traded it off for a new Mazda). The ol' Jeepster, hasn't been to the shop once, except for oil changes. And it's by far my favorite automobile of those I've owned. It's a good combo between toy and transportation. Still, though he's been great so far, I don't care what kind brand, there's no getting around the fact that bad things happen to good autos . So, since my warranty will be running out Feb 2002, I figure I better start planning on ordering my next one. Then there is also the fear they will either stop making them, or alter them to such an extent that the appeal is gone, in which case, I want to have one with low miles, and a renewed warranty.

I could keep this one and get an extended warranty, but again, I guess I'm kinda look'n for an excuse to get all the other goodies, like a cd player, the subwoofer and sound bar, a/c, the better and supposedly quieter soft top, cruise control, and maybe the 6 cylinder in either a Sport or Sahara. So, by the time I add all the cost and labor for adding all those to the Jeep I have, I figure it's be little difference in cost to just trade….or so my logic goes.

I'd consider the Sahara, since it's easier to find them loaded up on the lot, and then I wouldn't have to order, but I don't want cloth seats. I love the vinyl seats…so easy to clean up and durable and low maintenance too. So, I'm thinking I'll just get an SE or a Sport, with all the goodies, but with the vinyl seats. It's pretty easy to find SE's with, but virtually impossible to find a Sport, loaded, with vinyl seats, so I'll probably still have to order. I don't really like the word "sport" or "sahara" plastered over the vehicle though. Can these decals be omitted if ordered, or is there a safe way to remove them?

Which brings me to my other questions. As long as I'm probably going to have to order anyway, I might as well go down the list and check off everything I want, or think is a good safety feature.

Like I said, I'm not very mechanical, and I don't really understand how ABS works or what the Track-lock does. I know it's been discussed here before, but could someone give a basic summary of how each works and the advantages, and disadvantages (maintenance/ repairs, or special care that should be considered), if any, for both the ABS and the Track-lock options?

We don't get much snow, or ice here in Austin. In fact, it's rarely below 40 degrees, but we do have seasonal rain. Is ABS valuable in the rain, as with snow and ice? How about Track-lock? Does it help out in the rain? I don't do any serious off road 'n, just the beach, or mild to moderate trails….maybe a little mud, or a creek here and there, but predominantly just hopping curbs and laughing at speed bumps here in the urban jungle.

ABS and Track-lock are the two options that I am not sure about…just don't know if they would be of any value for me. I don't have them on my jeep now, but wouldn't mind shelling out a little extra if they are worth while options. Any comments, advice, or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Oh wait, also...axle ration 3;73, vrs the standard? What does the axle ration have to do with anything?

I know this was long, but I figured a little background was in order for my first post.

I'd be too embarrassed to ask these questions in other forums, but you
  • milt721milt721 Member Posts: 83
    ABS is a great option because if you lock up your brakes, you still have the ability to steer around the obstacle you are braking for. (Rather than skiding in a straight line.) However, you are most likely to lock up your brakes when driving on wet pavement. I would base my decision on how often you have to slam on your brakes to avoid idiots where you live and how often the roads are wet.

Trac-Lok is another feature that provides the best benefit when driving in wet conditions or off-road. Have you ever noticed in your current Jeep that when accelerating from a dead stop while making a right hand turn how the inside rear wheel will spin easily? Trac-Lok takes this "escaping" power and transfers it to the outside wheel with the most grip. Also, you mentioned that you sometimes tackle mud obstacles. Trac-Lok is also beneficial in this situation since torque is more evenly distributed to both rear wheels, lessening your chances of getting stuck. Hope this helps!
  • milt721milt721 Member Posts: 83
    For got to address rear axle ratios. Say you are traveling at 55 mph, with a higher ratio, your engine is at a higher rpm than the same engine with a lower ratio. The advantages of a higher ratio are better acceleration and more torque at lower speeds. The trade off is lower MPG and more engine noise, as well as the potential for the engine to wear out faster. With a lower rear axle ratio, acceleration is slower, but freeway cruising is more pleasant, and you get better MPG. Whew!
    Thanks milt721! Just what I was looking for. I had a vague idea about ABS and Track-lock, but completely clueless about the axle. What I was going to say in my post, that got cut off (I was too long winded I guess) is that I would be too embarrassed to ask these questions in most of the other, heavily testosterome driven, jeep forums, but this group seems to be very forgiving of my style of ignorance.

Thanks again, sounds like I want ABS, Track-lock, and a low axle ratio.

--Holliss
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    Are any of you familiar with roll cages for Jeeps? I know they come with a bar, but I thought that was not for rollover protection. If that is the case, who is familiar with ones which ARE for rollover protection?

Also, how many of you drive with the windscreen down? Where? Highway (meaning pavement)? Sand (desert or beach)? or woods/mountain?

If you do drive with windscreen down, comments? goggles? sunglasses? nothing? bugs in teeth?

Keep on jeeping, and hug 'em if you got 'em.
    sasquatch_2000;

I don't know about the roll cage, but I have driven with the windscreen down on several occasions. Only cruis'n down the beach and around in some wooded trails, never on the highway…not sure that's legal. Probably never been over 30 mph, but it is very exhilarating…kinda like swim'n naked…no real point to it, but it feels so good. (I guess it would be useful for hunting, fishing, or flying a kite from inside the Jeep). I just wear sunglasses to protect the eyes...but goggles would be better...and I did once see a guy cruis'n about 40 mph on a local city street here, and he was wearing goggles.

--Holliss
    Goducks;

I didn't know it wasn't available on the SE, so thanks for that tip...I was leaning toward the 6 cylinder anyway, so that's just one more reason to go with the Sport. The 4 cyl has been ok, I'm not looking to hotrod, but more power would definitely be better. From what I've read on here, the MPG isn't much different from the 4 to the 6. I get 20 to 21 on the highway IF I drive 65ish, AND there aren't any strong head winds, AND/or hilly country, but I mostly averg 17-18 highway, or city...doesn't seem to vary much between the two...but as has been correctly pointed out on here before, if MPG is the priority, shopping the Jeep lot is a mistake.
  • saharanutsaharanut Member Posts: 134
    Hey,.
    Guy welcome to the club...join us tomorrow night for wrangler chat...
    i've only been onboard only a week..
    I'm in the Shopping phase of buying a TJ myself..
    leaning more to the sahara..or the 60th anniversary edition...

Saharanut
  • shotgundanshotgundan Member Posts: 8
    I live in East Texas. Probably a couple of weeks from the time the JEEP ships before it arrives. The dealer said it should be here around March 30th. Hopefully he is wrong and it arrives a week earlier. Counting the days....
    Hey sasquatch! What's up?

Thelma's mileage is UP overall. Remember my posts when she was only getting 16 to 17 MPG? As rb123 pointed out, you look at your average over several tanks, and there's bound to be variation from one tank to the next. You don't get the tank filled to exactly the same level each time, and, of course, there's some variation in your driving conditions and speeds. I TRY to drive the same cruising speeds, and I do a pretty good job of it, but if I'm running a little late, I will probably have a tendency to drive a little faster.

I know... use cruise control. After all, I paid extra for it.

The 19.0 was posssibly a case of variation toward the high side (maybe I didn't get the tank quite as full as normal that time). If I could remember the tank before that, it might have been 17.o, which would have meant an average of 18.0 for those two tanks.

I used to average about 16.5 over several tanks, and now I'm averaging 18.0, so that's why I say Thelma's mileage has gone up.

It's possible that the mileage will go up slightly when she goes on Mobil 1 in a few days. I got an improvement of about 1 MPG on that '94 Z28 I had when I put it on Mobil 1.

If she never does any better than these last few tanks, I'm still a happy camper.

tsjay

Big Jeep wave and welcome to the group. Be sure to stay active with the group. As a long time Jeep owner, you've got insight and perspective that many of us Jeep newbies don't have. I'm not sure if you can request that the decals not be added on the factory line, but removal shouldn't be an issue if you don't like them. I think your other questions have been fielded by the board experts.

-twylie
    Welcome to all of you! I might have missed one or two of you new folks, but I try to welcome everyone. We've had a bunch of new folks lately, though, and I am afraid that I might not have responded idividually to all of you.

You guys wouldn't believe how nice some of the "old hands" were to me when I was new here and didn't even have a Jeep ordered yet. Some of those guys have disappeared, and I miss them.

Anyway, I like to repay the kindness I was shown by "paying it forward" to you new guys. Unfortunately, I am still just a rookie Jeep owner myself, and I won't be able to answer some of your questions like the old guys did for me.

Somebody corect me if I'm wrong, but, Hollis, the rear end ratio of 3.73 means that the drive shaft turns 3.73 revolutions for each turn of the rear axle, which, of course, is one revolution of the rear wheel. The higher this ratio, the more torque delivered to the rear wheels for better acceleration, other things being equal (like the transmission and tire diameter). The combination of the transmission gear ratios and the rear end ratio determines how many engine RPM's you will be turning for a given speed.

I like the acceleration that Thelma Jane has with the five speed tranny and the 3.73 rear end combo. She still gets 18 MPG with this combo, so I think it is a good balance between gas mileage and power.

The higher gear ratio will be good if I ever go to larger tires, which I would like to do some day. The larger tires will have the same effect as lowering the gear ratio in the rear end, so if I start with a higher ratio to begin with, when I put the larger tires on, I'll still have pretty good power.

Hope this helps and that I have been correct in what I've said- somebody jump in here and tell us if I'm on the right track.

tsjay

Somebody 'splain to me the difference between horsepower and torque.

I understand that torque is what gives you acceleration and that the torque peaks at a lower RPM than horsepower. I know that I love Mr. Torque, because I like acceleration before the RPM's get real high. I like the immediate response that you get from torque.

But what do Mr. Horsepower do? Anybody help me out here?

tsjay
  • saharanutsaharanut Member Posts: 134
    Hey guy...
    I guess your one of the "old guys" now...
    I'll send your your cane.. all in chrome of course.
    with JEEP engraved on the handle...
    Saharanut!
    torque is physics class, HP is math! In simple terms, torque is the twisting motion, horsepower is a calculated value that takes into account time with respect to torque.

Horsepower = torque x rpm / 5250

http://www.datsuns.com/torquehp.htm for a more detailed explanation.

-twylie

Thanks. Tonkadave and I were chatting and he put me onto that same link. Maybe he got it from your post???

It's all over my head. All I know is that I love that feeling of acceleration, and even a Jeep ought to have a little of it (and Thelma seems to do fine in that department- not a hotrod, but plenty good enough acceleration to merge with traffic getting on the parkways I drive and to pass a car on two lane roads without needing a mile to do it).

tsjay

Hey Jeepers, don't for get the chat tonight!

We had fun last week, but we only had about a half a dozen participants, so join us tonight.

It's 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM PACIFIC time, so adjust for your own time zone.

Hope to see everyone there!

(By the way, it's OK to bring your Jeep too)

tsjay

• tjytjy Member Posts: 39
    Hey Everybody!!! Sorry I haven't posted in a while, things here have been crazy! Anyway, to the latest news....as of 7am this morning, I finally made it out of D-1 status and am currently in F (paint)....now that my TJ has started down the line, it should make its estimated ship date of 3/16 (tomorrow)!!!!! As long as all goes well, I'll have my Jeep by the last week of March! All this waiting has been brutal, I can't wait to take delivery already!
    thanks for the warm welcome answers to my questions.

I'll join in chat tonight, if I can figure out how (my non-mechanical nature extends to computers too)....

:)

--Hollis
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I just dropped in to mention about tonight's chat. Glad to see you haven't forgotten. :-)

holliss: When the time comes, just click on the link at the top of the page. It will take you to the chat room.

See ya there!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    Glad to hear the good news! Now, just don't break your leg skiing out there in Utah, or you won't be able to get in and out of that new Jeep!

tsjay

Hey glad to see another good ol Texas boy join the club. I was born and raised near S.A., very pretty country in all of that area. I have relatives in Stonewall and Harper all in the heart of the Hill Country. I now live about 30 miles West of Ft.Worth,not as pretty as Hill Country but dang near. I run I35 occasionally I hope to see you in that new jeep.
    Have you been to Big Bend?
    When you get your Jeep check it out sometime. A co-worker just got back today and loved it. He said there are hundres of miles of trails from 2wd,to good and tough off road trails. He said he saw no less than 250 Jeeps all sizes and colors. This is busiest week because of spring break. I think I will try to go in late April, seems like alot of fun.

See Yall down the road
    Sorry you joined on the tail end of the chat. Post the issues here and see what people have to say

-twylie
    Sorry you didn't join the chat sooner, but WELCOME to Wrangler IV. The chat was just our second one ever. We chat on every Thursday night from 6:00PM to 7:00 PM PACIFIC TIME (I think I might have said Eastern Time in the chat.

So, tell us all about your Jeep!

tsjay

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    According to this Fox News story, CR, in its annual auto issue, doesn't think all that highly of Jeep reliability. Good thing they're fun to drive.

hosstj, there is some real purdy country down your way. Finally got to Big Bend early last year and it's a nice spot fer sure.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • onlyinajeeponlyinajeep Member Posts: 46
    If you are experiencing problems with your Jeep, do not hesitate to take it back to the dealership. If your rear end is moving around, it could be a host of different problems, many of which could be quite dangerous. Jeeps are notorious for water leaks, hopefully they can pinpoint yours and fix it, but they can be hard to diagnose and fix, so don't give up if they don't find it on the first try. Sometimes it takes a little investigation on your part. Welcome to the Jeep family.
    You asked me about surprises with Thelma Jane during the chat, but it was so fast-paced in there that I couldn't give you a complete answer.

The only thing that could even be considered slightly negative was the realization of how little room you have to carry anything around with you. I don't think a test drive really lets you know that, but when you start trying to put all the stuff in the Jeep that you have been carrying around in the trunk of your car or when you put your stuff in there for a trip, you really learn how little room you actually have.

That's just one of the things that you know that you have to sacrifice in order to have a Jeep as your only vehicle. I wouldn't want Thelma Jane to be any bigger, cause that would just take away from the fun. The small size of the Jeep is a major contributor to the all-important fun factor.

On the positive side, just about everything was BETTER than I expected. Thelma was expected to be fun, but, Good Lord, she is even MORE fun than I thought she would be!

I just LOVE driving her! It even makes going to work in the morning something to look forward to.

I am very pleased with her gas mileage- it is all that I had figured on. Her ride is actually smoother than I thought it would be, and the noise is not too bad at all. (Of course, I have the hard top.) I am speaking in relative terms here: she's still a Jeep. This may sound crazy, but I really don't think that a Jeep that had a perfectly smooth, car-like ride and absolute quiet in the cabin would be nearly as fun to drive. The bouncing and the road and wind noise are part of that wonderful "Jeep feel."

Well, I hope that answers your question.

tsjay

We had a great time again last night, and we probably had twice the number of people as we did in the first week.

It was hard to keep up with all the posts, and there were at least two or three conversations going on at once. Crazy, but fun!

If I failed to respond to anyone last night, forgive me, but I was having a hard time keeping up with who was saying what.

I hope everyone will be back next week and some new folks will show up too.

We probably had about a dozen people last night.

tsjay

That was exactly what I was looking for. I've had small 2 seat convertibles (MGBs) for the last 15 years, so I'm OK with little room and welcome a back seat to carry friends around. I am concerned about no real locakable storage, but will probably go with one of the locking trunks. I looked at the factory add a trunk, but the housing was plastic, so I'm intending to go with a Tuffy or similar brand made out of metal.

I agree that the chat was well represented and it is always a challenge to follow multiple threads. Maybe we can make a request of the host to see if there is any way to capture and archive the chat sessions. This would give us a chance to go back if we missed something and possible spark a larger discussion on this board.

I had a great time and look forward to being able to make it most weeks.

-twylie
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    How many of yawl with A/C actually use it. Thinking about ordering just a soft top TJ sans A/C....

Comment - It is all about HP. Torque and HP are directly related by rpm. Engineers use torque to calculate how strong to make the metallic parts of the driveline. Level of HP is what gives you towing, top speed, starting,.... All the calculations are done with HP. People that say they like "torky" engines are really saying that they like their engines to develop lots of horsepower at low rpms... So, just look at a HP curve and look for lots of HP at rpms around where you like to drive (like from 1500rpm to 3000rpm).

PS I had a diesel that had a whopping torque peak at 1400 rpm and the HP pear was at 3200 rpm. Guess where it towed best, accelerated best,.... at/near the HP peak.

Thanks, now off my soapbox
    Buck - (the Mech. engineer and motorcycle racer)
  • loseitloseit Member Posts: 7
    Well, i gotta say this Jeep community is real nice!!! Well, i left a long complaint list last night but it got taken off (implied profanity...woops!!My bad....) Bukt when i logged on this morning there was already info waiting for me. Thank you. Well let me talk about my Jeep again. It's a 4.0 L Black with dual tops Sport wtih the canyon wheels. It is a real looker. Not traction loc though. The rear end seems to shudder/ when i accelerate from a standstill. Took it to the dealer and they said it was a belt that had slipped of place in the tire due to strapping the cars down when they ship them. Ok, this is where i got in trouble last time! Let's just say that i have driven a lot of cars and i (nor the tire guy) has heard of that before. Needlewss to say i am not pleased. Then to add to my woes there is water coming in thru the windshield an the joint between the windsreen and the body. If it was thru the soft top i could understand, but c'mo.

The Jeep looks great and i wanna love it, but right now i am real dissapointed. I had a Suziki Samuari 6-7 years ago when i was stationed abroad and it never had these problems (and that place had monsoons). Does anybody else have this shaking thing? Is this normal?
    ...are the stock steel wheels? Figured get the stripper Sport model with the only options being the Dana44. If I knew the stock steel wheel width, I would know how big I could go.

Hate Al wheels, bend/break too easy. Steel wheels with a sledgehammer for tuning is just fine by me.

Thanks!
    They are telling you that it is the tire? Are they willing to replace it? I would have them put the rear tires on the front and the front tires on the rear and see if the front now shakes. If it does, then it is the tire, if the rear still shakes, they are lying to your face. Either way, they have to make it right with you. As far as the water goes, there is a gasket that fits between the windshield frame and the cowl and it sounds like it is either faulty or not positioned correctly. They will need to release your windshield, fold it forward, and then reposition your gasket or replace it all together. If your delearship is not willing to fix it, then you need to contact the manager and complain to him. You should not be driving around in a new vehicle that is vibrating in the rearend, this could potentionally be very dangerous and the water leak could cause you all sorts of problems from rust to electrical failure. You can always take your Jeep to another dealership if you feel you are getting no where, but I would try to make the place that sold it to you fix it, it is part of being a succesfull dealership. Good luck and I hope you get the bugs worked out, unfortunately, Jeeps seem to come with a few from the factory.
    I do not know where you live, but where I live, I would not think of not getting AC. The top down does not offer much relief from the heat, in fact, sitting under the sun in traffic gets hotter than heck. Also, your resale value is not going to be nearly as good if you do not have AC. I know you may think you are saving a dime now, but it will cost you later, = lower resale value, limited market of buyers because of no AC and if you add it later, it will cost more than if you had just bought it from the factory. Do yourself a favor, even if you never plan on using the AC, buy it, you will get your money back.
    Stock wheel width on Sport is 7 in. according to Jeep brochure. Stock on Sahara is 16x7 alum. wheels. A/C I have used it several times already. If the wife and I go some where she doesnt always want the wind blown look. Its also nice to turn a/c on here in N.TX last summer many days 105+. Its a matter of preference I guess.

A stock sport would not be a bad buy at all. My .02 go for Dana 44 if you want bigger tires,also get trac lock if you plan on off roading. I found makes a difference on wet pavement as well.

Im sure others can add more to this, Im fairly new to Jeepin but have done alot of reading and some experiences from a neighbor who has a Sport
    Ok, without checking my profile. I live close to some of the hottest temps in the USA. I don't have A/C in my house even though it is a big ol 2-story 2000 sqft house.....

Oh ya, we got more than 100" of snow this year, I ride my snowmobile out my back yard....

Still not sure about A/C. Sure would like to have less to go wrong. None of my three motorcycles have A/C......

So, the stock steel wheels are 7" wide, that's great, I'll probably do the 30x9.5" conversion when the jeep comes in.... or buy new wheels and go even bigger.

By ordering the Dana44, I automatically get lim slip right?
    You mean your motorcycles really don't have AC? I can not believe you bought one without it. :)
    From what I understand trak lock (limited slip) is 285.00 option when ordering dana 44 trak lock must be specified as option. The very best situation is to find a very good dealer. When I ordered mine the manager knew all about Jeeps. This makes a big difference. I agree w/ onlyinajeep, resale value will make a big difference as well. Youre lucky not to have to put up with humidity like we do in TX so no a/c may be ok. Still its a matter of what you want to do. Im the type to get more than I need,because I dont want to say I wish I would have gotten that option. I have put A.R.E. 15x10 polished atlas steel wheels on my Jeep with 33x12.5 Mickey Thompsons they are very good traction wet or dry, as well as quiet on road. Very little preformance change going to bigger tires.
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Absolutely positively get A/C. I live in one of the coolest (temp-wise) regions in the country and I passed on it initially, only to later get it installed, which was much more than I wanted to pay. You will miss it on any summer trips longer than 20 minutes, trust me. Driving at highway speeds for hours on end w/the top down is an uncomfortable, deafening experience.

Must go watch more tournament basketball...
  • tjytjy Member Posts: 39
    Hey everybody! Just thought I'd share my excitement with you all! Called DC today and found out my Madd Maxx (tsjay convinced me to name my new TJ) boarded his train yesterday(3/15) and should arrive in Dodge (Maryland) in about 9 days!!!!!! Looks like I'll be skiing in Utah while my Jeep sits and waits for me to return! Half of me wants to bag the ski trip so I can finally get my Jeep the day it comes in but hey, I have a lot to look forward to in the next couple of weeks so I'm not complaining at all! Anyway, I'm thrilled to be in the final stretch here....I'm with twylie, this is the most excited I've ever been for a new truck!

P.S. - I can't wait to finally hug my Jeep! Not to mention take the top down and get out 4 wheelin' immediately!