Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Ford Focus

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Luddites of the world unite!

Seems like everything they come up with that the car can do FOR you adds another thing to the list of things that people think you don't have to be able to do.

Daytime running lights started the list of things I think shouldn't have been done. The evidence? Take a look at the number of cars driving around at night with just DRLs on as if they were headlights.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    edited May 2011
    That's why they added automatic headlamps... for the idiots who can't figure out how to turn on their headlights. ;) At least with the DRLs you can see them. I see lots of folks out after dark with no lights at all... must have just come from a parking lot.

Just try to use the automatic parallel parking feature on your driver's test though!
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    edited May 2011
    I am very happy with the buttons and dials on my 2010 Milan whose positions are memorized quickly.

Yeah, but those idiots probably can't memorize them anyway. So what's the difference...

Ford thought they have discontinued the volume-seller inexpensive roomy Focus (& replaced it w/ an expensive cramped "Ford Probe 4-dr coupe"), so they need to offer all those electronic gadgets (even including self-steering anti-lane-departure in some foreign markets ) in order to capture additional sales from idiots w/ no driving skill.

But then, by my standard, even drivers who can't enjoy stick are pretty unskillful.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    he auto parallel park seen a some Focus ads make the ad seems like a parody. Does anyone really need this, especially with such a small car? Could it be used on a crowded city street (where it may be helpful for the few)? Wouldn't you set off a riot in the drivers held up behind you while the car does its machinations? Are you in the car or standing clear?

Focus Active Park Assist

So the way these guys work is you activate the system and it scans for a parking spot. Once it finds one, it has you stop take your hands off the wheel, put the car in reverse and control the speed with the gas and brake. Once it backs up as far as its willing to, it has the driver shift to drive and again control gas and brake. If its a really tight spot it keeps going back and forth a few times.

I guess the advantage is that it will find a spot that is smaller than most would be willing to try on their own. Its not totally autonomous since the driver is still controlling the gas and the brake.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    edited May 2011
    It's really cool to watch the clutch pedal and the stick shift swinging around on their own. :P
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    It's really cool to watch the clutch pedal and the stick shift swinging around on their own.

Yeah, in a parallel universe! :P

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    I'm a semi-luddite, though I'll have to try mytouch out myself to get a better idea. IMO, I don't think the concept itself is flawed. If it all works as planned, why is looking at digital controls on the console any different from looking at the center stack? But that's the problem of course. Everything I've read seems to suggest that Ford didn't execute very well.

As for the auto-park, I don't per se have a problem with the tech; it seems like a strange feature for the low/mid level Focus. I'm not exactly sure who it's targeting. Young drivers who generally suck at driving skills? But how could the young driver afford the expensive option? Maybe the older crowd with failing senses?
    edited May 2011
    Actually, the auto park option is a very attractive feature, especially if it's available on an inexpensive stripped Focus, even w/ stick. You still have to move the clutch pedal & shifter yourself.

This system can detect exactly how close your bumpers next to the obstacles as well as not having your tires touching the curb through out the whole process.

But of course, all drivers should go through enough driver's training w/o using this feature or the stability control on slippery surface.
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    Should probably disable the power brakes and steering too!
    edited May 2011
    "Actually, the auto park option is a very attractive feature, especially if it's available on an inexpensive stripped Focus, even w/ stick. You still have to move the clutch pedal & shifter yourself."

Ummm, my comment about watching the stick and the clutch pedal move on their own was in jest, and unless I missed something, not possible on a car sold into the North American market. Why? Because the "Parking Technology Package" is only available on cars equipped with the automatic transmission. Said another way, the parking package is only available on the SEL and Titanium models, both of which are only offered in automatic trim.
    edited May 2011
    Should probably disable the power brakes and steering too!

I almost did that on the '05 & '07 Focus ST. By tapping into the the wire coming out from the pwr-steering pump into the computer, either completely disconnect or changing the voltage /w a potentiometer/resistor, I actually achieved various results & have kept the power assistance down to the minimum.

Anyway, I am keeping my badly worn Mk1 Jetta for the "saltwater-fishing like" manual steering as well as the pwr brakes that feel almost like no pwr assist.
  • podpod Member Posts: 176
    To clarify. I don't have to look at the center stack since my brain (which is an old model) has, without effort on my part, memorized the position and function of the controls for the various HVAC, radio, etc. I don't need to look away from the road. There are no graphics I need to read. It's like flipping the directional blinker or turning on the wipers. No eyes necessary. That was my point in criticizing the touch system. By definition you have to look at a screen to make the adjustments unless the "touch" panels are actually raised a bit and each is dedicated to a specific function....even that may be beyond my capacity to memorize. I think the screen is a necessary component which displays different menus that you respond to by "touching another panel" I know which way to turn the dials and which buttons are where without taking my eyes off the road. That would seem a safety priority to me.
    I'm glad to see it is an "add on" feature although often the "packages" are built into the higher end models and it is difficult to find a baser model without the features that annoy. I guess I could just leave it alone, but it must add a good bit to the price since there are sensors and control electronics of a sort not previously necessary that have to talk to the transmission and throttle and brakes.
    I haven't seen the "touch system" in person so there may be some saving grace that escapes my notion of how it works. Does anyone out there use the touch system who would comment on my perceived deficiency.
    It's my understanding that all options can also be selected via the steering wheel buttons. I guess one could in theory memorize or become accustomed to how the screen menus are laid out. I've only played around with pseudo versions available at a car show.

But I definitely hear you. The presence of Mytouch is the primary reason I'm avoiding the Titanium models, at least for this year. And having browsed local inventories, I'm surprised at the number of SEs equipped with Mytouch. I don't care to beta test Ford's new toys while on the road.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    It's really a shame for a lot of buyers that all the uplevel packages contain this wizardry. I have eliminated the Edge and Focus(cars would be for two different people) off my short list because I want most of the uplevel goodies but do not want the mytouch stuff. Kind of feel the same way about a sunroof but that is something which helps resale and that I don't have to interface with. It can just be there in the roof and I don't have to think about it or touch it.

If you like it, fine. But I just wish there was a choice rather than going with a lower level version that doesn't have some of the stuff I want available.
    "Kind of feel the same way about a sunroof but that is something which helps resale and that I don't have to interface with. It can just be there in the roof and I don't have to think about it or touch it."

I've been told by sales wonks on any number of occasions that I don't want a stick-shift in my new car "...because it ruins resale value." I always reply to them that I'm buying the freakin' car for myself, not for the next guy.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    My understanding is that MyTouch Sync can recognize up to 10,000 spoken words so one should be able to interface just about everything with voice commands. It is slower than adjusting knobs and dials on one's own but IMHO, it increases safety since eyes cand stay on the road and hands can stay on the wheel.
    I've just read so much about how it may or may not "understand" your particular voice or pronunciation and you have to repeat yourself. This was demonstrated to me one day when I sat in an Edge with a salesman and couldn't get anywhere with it.

I appreciate the safety side of it and it sounds good. But if you get frustrated with it I can see a downside. Also, all this talk about taking your eyes of the road is driving me astray so to speak. I take my eyes off the road more when I am talking with a passenger than I do when I'm talking on a cell phone. Should we outlaw passengers or at least talking to them?

"No officer, I was not talking to my passenger. I was talking to myself and they were just listening."
    edited May 2011
    At least the passengers tend to shut up when they notice the situation change. The person talking to you through the cell phone doesn't.

MyTouch is definitely too slow. Have you wondered why LED brake lights save lives? A split-second-quicker reaction time from the driver who rear ended you means how much difference in braking distance at 60mph fwy speed?

A mile per minute.

1/60 mile per second.

1/120 mile per half of a second.

1/120 mile = about 14 yards in half a second.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,294
    I just bought a vehicle with 'MyFord touch'. The negatives are over rated.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Have you wondered why LED brake lights save lives?

Haven't seen any studies that back this up but it sounds logical. As far as passengers noticing the situation changing I think it depends on both the passenger and where they are looking.
    edited May 2011
    I've owned several cars -- all more expensive than this one -- and by far this one gives me the most enjoyment to look at and to drive.

According to this actual owner, the new Mk3 Focus isn't too expensive at all, even w/ cramped rear leg room -- Definitely not a car for cheapskates. Sometimes I wonder is there any car out there (at any price) that can outperform this car in both driving fun & comfort?

I've driven the new E-Class, which has a numb pwr steering nearly as light as an old Caddilac. The new 5-series also has a numb steering. An S-Class is already too bulky to be agile. The 3-series should do pretty well, but not sure how well after ruined by the std run-flat tires.

The old Focus is too noisy.

The old RX-8 base model w/ 16" rims has excellent handling, confident-inspiring electric steering & pampering ride comfort, but w/o the comfortably high chairs...
    The 3-Series does very well with the latest iteration of the RFTs; however, for many folks swapping the RFTs out for GFTs has proven to improve the ride and handling immeasurably. Should I end up with another 3-Series, GFTs will be mounted on the factory rims within a matter of weeks.

As for other cars which can outperform the new Focus in pretty much every area except fuel economy (to be remedied in the 2012 model year), one has to look no further than the Mazda3; a car which can be had at an "apples-to-apples" price point which is lower than the Focus albeit in an uglier body style.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Typical salesperson saying the stick has less resale value than the automatic. Of course it does, it costs $1,100 less. Percentage wise it probably holds its value as well or better than an automatic.
  • griswaldgriswald Member Posts: 33
    I have to say that I'm very pleased overall with my silver 2012 SE hatch with sport pkg, particularly the stick, front seat comfort and great steering feel. No, Touch, Sync or any complaints yet. I even thought it was a great value - cost the same a similar kind of vehicle I had years ago - a 2002 Mazda MP5 and was a few thousand less than my ex 2010 Mazda 3 GT (though that one was auto).
    I've found the reverse to be true; the resale value of cars with manual transmissions is often higher than an otherwise identical car with an automatic. When I turned my 5-Speed 530i SP in at lease end my dealer put it on the lot next to a half of a dozen Automatic 530i SPs with a sticker price of $2,000 more than the automatic models. When my car sold less than two weeks for full sticker, all six automatic were still sitting there. :)
    Well a 5 series stick would probably have a higher resale than the auto because that is a vehicle worth considering the stick. It's an anomoly IMHO.
    And a Focus isn't? :confuse:
    I'd have to say there would be more demand for a used 5 series with a stick than a used Focus - IMHO.
    Hmmm, I would have thought just the opposite. Go figure.
    Resale value for stick shift is interesting. There's more demand for autos as many can't drive stick, or have to commute in stop & go traffic. Also, it's in the sales persons interest to sell the extra stuff. If the stick is a good one and the auto not so great, (as preliminary Focus reviews indicate), or manuals become relatively rare (I got the only Focus with a stick and sports pkg. in the province of Ontario last week vs. hundreds of automatics available), then the stick version may have a better percentage resale value. One factor in my decision was I didn't want to take a chance getting a vehicle with a bum auto though I'm sure Ford will soon be sorting out the auto issues. Another was I do little city driving. Whatever the long term case proves to be for the Focus's tranny I believe what someone else posted earlier - don't buy a car for the next owner (unless maybe you already know they will be a family member). Personally, I'm so pleased I got a stick as it's such a good one though it was a somewhat difficult decision - the wife wanted me to get an auto for when she drives it (we both haven't driven stick for about 20 years). This way maybe she won't want to drive it so much and just drive her car - win-win for me! ;)
    edited June 2011
    have to say that I'm very pleased overall with my silver 2012 SE hatch with sport pkg, particularly the stick, front seat comfort and great steering feel. No, Touch, Sync or any complaints yet. I even thought it was a great value - cost the same a similar kind of vehicle I had years ago - a 2002 Mazda MP5 and was a few thousand less than my ex 2010 Mazda 3 GT (though that one was auto).

What color of '12 Ford Focus SE hatch did you get? Is it pretty tossable in the corners? Steering is all right-the car "sticks" to the road in the twisties, eh?

And the 5-speed stick fits in to the notches easily and is it a gas to shift? Much more fun than the 6-speed automatic is to drive? Did you try the 6-speed automatic 2012 Ford Focus at all?

No, Touch, Sync or any complaints yet.
    Does this mean that you don't have those electronic toys? Or that you do have them and they perform and work flawlessly?

It's silver, sticks really good, even in the wet. The car has a good sporting feel, a lot better than what you'd think for this price range. The 5 spd has a fairly short throw and feels just right, as does the clutch, both buttery smooth. I also demoed the 6 sp auto for a short 5 mile drive with 3 people on board and it seemed not bad but I didn't really put it to the test with the salesman present. I like the more active involvement with the 5 sp. It connects you closer with the car making driving more fun. If I used it as a commuter car it might be a different story though as I just drive when I want to.
    Didn't get Sync or Touch and didn't play with them in the test drives so I can't comment on that. I did read several Focus test reviews saying Sync was slow, quirky and often required rebooting so I stayed clear this time round.
  • podpod Member Posts: 176
    edited June 2011
    To each his own but I was the one who considers "gadgets" that require that you take your eye off the road are a safety risk. I imagine that to work the touch system you need to take your eyes off the road and your right hand off the wheel to run the menus. I assume you have to "touch" something, given the name. I move my head a lot around and check the mirrors and traffic often, quick changes that are almost automatic in driving and would have my head facing toward the passenger side every now and then but generally since my car is quiet we talk without making eye contact when there is traffic around that requires attention. It seems to me the newer cars (? due to electronic steering rather than hydraulic) are more sensitive to slight steering wheel movement and I find that I occasionally "drift" in the lane when my attention is diverted to something in the car (where are those sunglasses, etc). Even at highway speed there is lots of traffic where I drive and the convoy is moving along at 70 mph with lots of lane changes for exits, etc. Call me crazy but I like to keep my eye ahead as much as possible and my hands on the wheel. I am not suggesting tht folks with other habits be cited or arrested, to each his own, but they are the ones I am watching out for as they lean over to read or adjust the nav system and drift over toward me.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Maybe its just me, but I don't have much interaction with my touch screen (not a Sync).

Once I'm underway either I'm scrolling through my radio pre-sets...or adjusting the volume; both from the steering wheel.

Everything else is pretty much set or on auto.
  • lostlost Member Posts: 64
    all hail your Golf
  • dgg2dgg2 Member Posts: 1
    How is DRL activated on a 2012 Focus?
    Automatically
    on my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS and I like them. They blow away not having them. They don't make the car but in case you haven't looked, you're not the only driver on the road. These days.

DRL's ensure that others see you. Peeky boo.

Smart ideas come from smart manufacturers.

Oh, I'm sorry. I meant ta include Fo-Mo-Co in there. Somewhere.

• ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Yes...fabulous.

Next topic...power mirrors
    Sorry, DRLs are a really dumb idea; at least how the government wonks have mandated they be implemented.
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    edited June 2011
    You talked me out if the Focus Ti because of the ride and it's the only way I could get a lumbar.. I thought with a multi link suspension we could get by.
    Also, please help me on this,, after adding all the options to the focus they asked me to enter my Zip Code and the the price jumped up 3k. Is Edmunds gone buy the books on true market value?The dealers all folow edmunds,so why bring in papers asking is this what I'll pay.
    We are going into a double dip recession and no way I'm paying $25K for a Focus.
    It was easier to buy my BMW as there was a $2600.00 dealer cash hold and I knew where I stood.
    My daughter is getting a Hyundai loaded Elantra from :sick: us for garaduating school,more for the money.Ford deals like Exxon/Mobile take it or leave it.
    Sheesh, I don't think you should let anyone talk you out of a purchase, especially with respect to handling/ride dynamics. Have you already test driven the titanium?

Also, why do you say all dealers use Edmunds? I hadn't heard that before.
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    Yes, I drove the SE too. wanted multi level heated seats and lumbar I couldn't get it only in Ti package 303 I think. Hyundai had it all for alot less. This car is for my daughter if she wants handling/ride dynamics and german engineering she can take her college degree and get a BMW,or an Audi A2.
    I didn't mean dealers use Edmunds exclusively, but thet love to see people walk in their dealer ship with those TMV's and shoot holes through them.
    I bought my wife's IS on line using the Fax attack out fit . I drove 250 miles to get it for $1600 less. Fighting Chance is their name. I thought Edmunds could help me get a clue. General Motors monitors their cars on here and answers questions. have a good day,but my mother didn't raise a fool. :shades:
    edited June 2011
    Again, it's "just" another Euro comparison test, which means the Euro-spec version of the new Focus III has less cramped rear leg room ("Space for rear occupants is on a par with both the 308 and Golf" -- the Golf should still have more leg room but narrower in the back) & possibly firmer suspension tuning than the U.S.-spec. So all you need to do is go test drive the U.S-spec Focus III w/o the optional sport suspension side by side w/ the small-rim Golf 2.5, then decide how much less ride comfort you'll be getting from the U.S. non-sport Focus. If you still need the lumbar, then down size the rims of the Focus Ti to Golf 2.5's size, then you can have a fair ride-comfort comparison. The expensive Golf diesel w/ std lowered suspension is likely to ride even less comfy than the std Focus III! But the Focus III is more thrill to steer still...

My guess is that the Golf 2.5 ("gas guzzler") w/ the longest front suspension travel should be the king of mini-limos (for the rich who can afford the fuel cost but needs something short & easy to park) & even puts today's Peugeot ("Our test car¡¦s wide 18-inch rims helped here, but they also contribute to the harsh ride from the firm suspension. This is especially noticeable when you hit unsettling mid-corner bumps. The electric power-steering set-up doesn¡¦t help, as it provides little in the way of feedback and has an artificial feel, especially at low speeds.") & Renault ("The steering and suspension are the only weaknesses ¡V the former is overly sensitive and lacks feel, while the latter is too firm at low speeds.") to shame.

Oh, by the way, do you think the Lexus IS offers better ride comfort or steering feel than the new quiet Focus III? ;) Is it worth $... just for the finer interior finish?
  • smallcar1smallcar1 Member Posts: 76
    I too found the Focus pricey. An SEL was 25K w/o back up camera and park assist. The seats were very comfortable but the leather looked very low quality and the dashboard was cheap, hard plastic. You would think the interior side of the doors would be nicer with a leather package. The initial pick up is slow but then the car takes off.

I realize the car has a lot of technology but I just throught that for 25K the interior should be better. Also believe it or not the SEL with the Sony sound system does not have an aux jack for an MP3 player it only has USB connectivity. The lower trims have an aux jack.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I just ordered a base SEL and test drove a SE. I didn't find the dash to be cheap at all even in the SE model. Also my base SEL was $21K - with leather it would still only be $22.5K. Considering the AVERAGE new car price is at least $28K that's not bad at all.
    edited June 2011
    post pics of your 2012 Ford Focus SEL you bought for $21K. That's a good price, we paid $22,200 for our '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS automatic CVT and the car is worth every penny. Period.

Any more you pretty much have ta give low $20's in order to get a quality car. It's a price that will deliver the goods in today's economy, though.

What's wrong with DRL's, yikes people come up with some of the stupid-est crap on here about what they like or don't like. What a bunch of crabby-asses. Shut the hell up, I don't care if you don't like DRL's. Could give a rat's bu-too-dee. I like them and that's really all that matters. Sheesh is right.

edited June 2011
    Well excuse me, but around my neck of the woods (literally) many DRLs are both bright enough and aimed high enough to literally blind oncoming drivers. Don't believe me? Tough!

If all DRLs were akin to BMWs "Angel Eyes", no problem; but when you spend lots of time driving on roads which are frequently tree canopied and both hilly and curvy, the DRLs of the "Low-powered high-beam" variety are as hazardous for on coming drivers as encountering true high-beams on a dark night.

Sorry, I won't "shut the hell up"; how many accidents and lives lost is it going to take before the powers that be figure out that the bulk of DRLs are a hazard when encountered under certain road conditions?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Let's not turn this into a personal beef.

Back to discussing the Focus please