Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Ford Focus

Comments

• markus5markus5 Member Posts: 102
    I guess that "everthing is up to date in Kansas City", good luck with your new car. Obviously, the Leather and the Sun Roof are after market. Enhancing seats or changing them out is one thing, but I would have some hesitation about the roof modification. Factory is always a safer bet when it comes to structural aspects of a vehicle.
    Thanks for the post and keep us informed. I have thoroughly enjoyed driving my ' 04 Focus ( with factory Sun roof ) for nearly 8 years. I considered purchasing another one, but this current daily driver is still going very strong.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    If you just want a basic SE sedan you can find those. SE hatches are more rare but do exist. SELs are almost non-existent, hatch or sedan. There are a few titaniums due to the higher cost.

I ended up ordering a base SEL hatch on 5/31. It arrived in Atlanta on 7/2.
  • cannon3cannon3 Member Posts: 296
    Focus is very hot right now. I was in having an oil change done on my car and was talking to sales person. This dealership is considered one of the larger in my town. He was telling me the Focus is hot, hot, hot and are selling as fast as they get them in. Looks like Ford hit pay dirt. If you can, wait. Wait for the hype to settle down. Simple supply/demand. You are going to pay if you want it now....
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I'm not certain waiting would matter.

The right column of this page is an advertisement currently showing a $500 "Ford Credit Bonus Cash" and when I do a TMV for a Focus with an MSRP of $21,895 ($20,451 invoice) it shows a value of $20,937.

The TMV doesn't show this $500 credit (which requires Ford financing).

So the current selling price seems pretty close to invoice with this $500.

Maybe the others in this segment are selling below invoice (I haven't checked).

Seems if you can find one they're not gouging people (not much mark-up anyway).

Of course I can't seem to find any inventory.

I just don't see this category being too affected by supply and demand (I supposed everything is to a degree)..."I got gotta have it...here's a few extra bucks".
  • gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    I've noticed the scarcity of SELs too. Any idea why this is the case?

On another note, I still don't see a lot of new Foci on the street around here. Maybe about 1.5 per week? I almost see as many Fiats as I see Foci.
  • markus5markus5 Member Posts: 102
    edited July 2011
    Gambit:
    Quite a coincidence that you should mention this. It came to my attention the other day that I have seen over the last week at least 2 Foci a day. Not as much as the New Elantra but it has caught up with the Cruze for example, in my very informal and unscientific survey. Taking into consideration that Focus has not been "available" to potential buyers nearly as long as the other two, this may be significant.
    Trim Level:
    Back on post #332, I reported seeing a sales rep's "cheat sheet" on anticipated production numbers broken down by trim level. 65% of entire build will be "SE". Of that number, it will be 50/50 betwen hatch and sedan.
    If one prefers the Hatch configuration, you are paying more but you are going up a trim level. This is especially apparent in the back seat configuration. Personally, I still prefer the Sedan, but from a practical standpoint, if I do buy a new Focus it will probably be a Hatch.
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    edited July 2011
    I just watched Charlie Rose introduce the president of Ford. The Focus deliveries or orders will be slowed down due to equipment problems at their factory.
    He also , stated that the president did the right thing bailing out GM@ Chyrsler.
    He was proud that Ford got it's own financing through the banks and the American public took notice of the great things Ford is doing. Ford has paid back 22 billion to the banks up to now and will repay the remaining 6 billion this year.
    He is not a car guy a reporter asked himand being a plane guy(Boeing) How is going to help Ford ? The answer a Boeing 777 has 40million working parts and flies w/o a problem, while a Focus has 10,000 parts.
  • irritatrixirritatrix Member Posts: 40
    I'm dying to go test drive a 2012 Focus hatchback, but I live a couple hours from dealers, so it's most of a day to go over to check them out. I've read nothing but bad things about the automatic; that it's geared such that the car shifts way sooner than any sane person would shift if it were a manual. I understand that this is where the high MPG comes from, but how distracting is it? Does it affect the acceleration at low speeds very much? Also, I read that when you put the transmission in Sport Mode, it automatically downshifts when you apply the brakes, which could defeat the whole purpose of Sport Mode if one was driving on curvy roads. Not sure I want to go back to a manual at this point in my life. So - input from auto trans. owners, please? Deal breaker or minor nuisance?
    Most of the complaints are coming from test drivers, not people who actually own the cars. My daughter has one and honestly the only thing I noticed is a bit of stumbling when slowing down as it downshifts. But owners also report that it smooths out after 1K miles or so (I haven't driven my daughters recently to test it again).

If you're on curvy roads and hit the brakes wouldn't you WANT it to downshift so that you had more power coming out of the curve? I can see where an upshift is unwanted but not a downshift if it's needed.

No need to worry about normal operation, but if you're really picky about how it operates in specific conditions in sport mode or selectshift auto-manual mode then you should do an extensive test drive.
    Money named the 2012 Focus as one of the summer's losers:

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2011/autos/1108/gallery.july_car_sales.fortune/6.- html

July 2011 sales were 14,889, which is 3% lower than last year. It's a shame that production problems are hampering sales (assuming production, not demand, is what is in fact causing the sales lag).
    I don't understand how it can be called a loser when there is only a 10 day supply in inventory and people are paying top dollar for the ones they do buy (minimal incentives, lots of $20K+ loaded models plus a few $25K+ Titaniums).

It isn't a slow seller - the 10 day supply would tell you that. Sounds like the writer didn't do much homework.
    Agreed. "Loser" is a harsh word here. It would have been more proper to criticize Ford for failing to fully capitalize on the new Focus.
    Thanks for the non-test-driver opinion. You're right, I would really need to do an extensive test drive to see if it bothered me, but I might not even notice it if I hadn't gotten a preconceived notion from reading the reviews!

The problem with automatically downshifting when braking is that the car assumes you NEED to downshift, but depending on the circumstances, you might not want to, and the resulting downshift and subsequent acceleration might make the ride a lot choppier than it needs to be. I agree that on a really tight curve, the downshifting might be welcome, but on a broader curve going downhill you might want to stay in the same gear but just ease off a little. Again, I'd need to drive one to see how much that bothered me.

Years ago a friend visiting me rented a Thunderbird, which we took to Yosemite. We suffered with that transmission searching for the right gear in the mountains the entire trip, and it was really annoying. That's why my concern, though that particular transmission has long since passed into oblivion.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    It might be time to think about a manual transmission again. :)
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707
    I agree that on a really tight curve, the downshifting might be welcome, but on a broader curve going downhill you might want to stay in the same gear but just ease off a little.

Wouldn't that just mean you take your foot of the gas and coast, instead of braking?
    Yeah, I've been seriously considering it. The reviews for the manual have been great. And I have a 21-year-old who still doesn't know how to drive one. ;-)
    It depends on how well the engine brakes, I guess. This may not be such a problem as I've read complaints about. Some people find fault with everything! I think I need to do a thorough test drive of both transmissions.
    Remember you have 3 modes - Drive, Sport and Sport auto-manual. Surely one of those will do what you want.
    edited August 2011
    I currently drive a Mazda3 with a stick and taught my (then) fifteen year old how to stir his own. That was two years ago and just recently while he was sitting in my car at a stop light a Ford F-150 rear-ended him (pushing him into the Audi next in line). After the police officer finished dealing with the accident and the paperwork he looked into my car and said to my son, "You drive a stick? I didn't think kids did that anymore!"

He was so impressed that after the other two parties left, the two of them stood around talking about cars for nearly a half of an hour. :)
  • novavroomnovavroom Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2012 Focus SEL in May. Within a few hundred miles I noticed issues with the operation of the wipers (courtesy wipe did not work) and the headlight display on the dash did not always work properly. It turns out that some of the problems could not be corrected - I was told that cars built prior to June 1st had some build issues and mine was one of them. The dealer took the car back. If you are having issues and your car was an early build car, ask about this. Ford HQ is aware of it. By the way, I drove the car for a total of 1,500 miles and found the powertrain to be very good. The dual clutch automatic performed well. I have driven many cars over the years including a number of manual trannys - I was amazed at how well the Focus trans performed. And yes - they do need to get broken in - after about 1,000 miles, the shifts were very smooth.
    Thanks for your insights about the transmission. I've read elsewhere that it shifts better after 1000-1500 miles. But I'm sorry to hear of build issues so bad that the dealer took the car back! What did you replace it with, just out of curiosity?
  • podpod Member Posts: 176
    There is substantial overlap between the Focus pricing and the Fusion pricing. More than a year ago I got a well equipped Milan I-4 for $18.3K (17" rims, power drivers seat, moonroof, synch, good audio, good rubber) which is averaging almost 32 mpg mixed driving. It gets about 36 on the highway at 70mpg). It is not a big car, is called midsized, not as small as the Focus but not much bigger. Why pay more for a new generation small car when there is a larger (but similar mpg and power) option which has been refined since it is the 5th or 6th year of the product line. You get Ford quality in both. Is size the major determinant? Believe me the fuel economy difference will be 2 mpg max. I am very impressed with the Milan's handling and overall engineering integration. I am just wondering what are the reasons for selecting a compact over a midsized when the price is the same (or even better for the Fusion since it has lost some of the "car of the year" glow just due to the passage of time). Are there other benefits to the compact over midsized decision that I am missing?
    I don't see how you can get 32 mpg in mixed driving when the EPA rating is 22/32 at best. I could see 36 hwy but not at 70 mpg. I realize it's possible to beat the EPA ratings but that seems too high.

The Focus is 5 mpg better than the Fusion according to the EPA estimates (the only ones that are controlled and repeatable), so I would expect you to get 37 and 41 in the Focus.

It comes down to fuel economy, style and sportiness. I own both and the Focus is much more fun to drive.

It's always been like this though. Do you get the loaded smaller car or the less well equipped larger car? Just depends on what you're looking for.
    I've always preferred the efficiency and more importantly the handling of a small car over large cars and even mid-size cars. And this is even in spite of the fact that the Milan is probably a decent-handling car, for its segment.
    Do you think you can go to a Ford dealership with at least 50 focuses in stock? I've see a total of 8 at 3 dealerships, all SE's. Also, what cars are comming to compete with the Focus?Is it too early to be looking for a decent,Mazda,Honda,or anything that can compete with Ford?
    The 2012 Mazda3 with the SkyActiv technology should be arriving at U.S. dealerships in the next month or two, and it should easily be a viable alternative to the Focus, matching it or besting it in virutally every area except looks.
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    edited August 2011
    except looks?

How about this aftermarket kit?
    Meh... Does nothing for me; I still think the Focus is far more visually appealing.

FWIW, on technical merit alone I'd opt for the Mazda over the Ford, add in the extra interior space of the Mazda and it sits solidly a notch above the Focus on my short list.
  • podpod Member Posts: 176
    I guess that's why they say "your mileage will vary". I always exceed the EPA ratings in whatever car I drive. I attribute it to using my eyes instead of my brakes and smooth acceleration to speed. I haven't driven the Focus so I cannot compare the two. De gustibus non disputandum est. Which car you choose is a matter of personal preference. There is no right answer. I wondered why people opted for the smaller car when they are similarly priced and have similar power and don't seem that different in size. You prefer the small car as more fun to drive. I agree I would easily break 40 on the highway with the Focus, probably flirt with 45 from time to time (depending on wind and grading changes). I already had the Milan before the new Focus was revealed but would still opt for the Fusion/Milan since it has been tested for years and proven to be reliable. I expect Ford will continue to make very good products; there may be a few bugs that emerge in the first few years of the Focus that get remedied. Certainly the 2010 Fusion is a much improved car over earlier models and the improvements have been incremental and evolutionary. The main reason I posted here is to alert anyone who would cross-shop the two (Fusion v. Focus) that they are essentially the same price. That opinion is not apparent in this forum or other Focus sites and some may wish to try the midsized.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    You do realize that Mercury is no longer in business so the Milan is no longer an option. You bought yours about the same time my neighbor bought his and he got a great deal as well because they were closing down Mercury at the time. So to compare what paid for a several year old model AND it being closed out completely to a brand new completely redesigned Focus is not apples to apples by any means.

If you took a comparably equipped Fusion and compared it to a comparably equipped Focus I'm sure there would be a significant difference in MSRP. I'm not talking street prices as that can vary greatly especially on a new model versus one that has run for several years like you say. Focus street prices will come down too once the market adjusts and they get adequate inventory built up.

Bigger is not always better and it is what you're implying. Like someone else said, some people like the smaller vehicle for sporty handling, parking ease, a little better mpg and a slightly smaller price. There is always overlap of prices from the absolute loaded smaller car versus the average next size which is why I say they need to be compared equipment to equipment and similar status in their model runs.

So to say the two are essentially the same price is simply not true. The difference in MSRP between a 2012 Focus SE and a 2012 Fusion SE is $5430. Hardly "essentially the same". The Fusion is over 30% higher than the Focus. Even completely loaded they are still several thousand apart and the MPG difference is about 5 mpg on average....again not insignificant unless you simply don't care about MPG which it is obvious by your comments that you do.
    I think it's fair to state that even in this economy, the prevailing mentality here is still that bigger is better, with respect to cars. Hopefully, this will continue to shift with more premium c-class models out on the roads.

The MSRP range for the Focus is $16,500 to $22,700k. The MRSP range for Fusion is $19,850 - $29,000. So yea, there is a pretty pronounced difference across the lines. Having said that, the difference shrinks as you move up. A fully optioned Focus Titanium pushes close of $30,000. A fully loaded Fusion tops out at around $33,500. I think this is because while the Focus has shifted upscale, the Fusion has not really shifted to account for the new Focus.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,724
    include, but not limited to:
    1) lighter weight
    2) better handling
    3) better FE
    4) easier to park and fit into tight spaces (parallel park)
    5) less cost
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited August 2011
    Lots of exceptions but typically.....yes.
  • krunr4krunr4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a mystery I need help solving. When I set the passenger temp at ...say 74 degrees, turn the car off to go shopping, then get back in and start the car...the passenger temp magically moves up 1 degree. I have just started experimenting, but so far, I stopped the engine and restarted it 3 times and sure enough, the temp went up a total of 3 degrees. Anyone having a similar problem and finding a solution?
    Alot of buyers of this SE Focus sedan are women and I guess they do not get the SFE pkg.the dealer doesnt push it, or they aren't on the lot.
    However, they opt to have a moonroof put in at a none dealer shop.They do push that.I'm not saying the Focus sedan is a chick car,but I see more women driving them than men. It's probably, because women are more frugal than men.I think a guy would go with a HB more.
    The above being said, I go on alot of European motor car web sites.Skoda(never heard of them) and VW is coming out, or have with an 8 spd tranny w/80 mpg.I mean is this possible and if so how come we can't get these 1.2l.1.4l ,or 1.6 l in a diesal?Oh, what's TCi engine?The Brits have cars that avg 40 to 45 MPG.They have to because petrol is double our gas.
    I don't know how your portfolio is doing,but I 'd like to see more of the above cars on the market here.
    "The Brits have cars that avg 40 to 45 MPG.They have to because petrol is double our gas."

Keep in mind the Imperial (British) Gallon in about 16.5% larger than the gallon we use here in the States.
    Shipo,
    I'm in Maine now and and within a ten mile radius gas ranges from $357.9 to $379.9 and thanks for the reply.
    However, I do not understand the mind set of Ford, Dodge(Fiat) and it's Durango that's been improved in Germany.
    I drive my BMW all summer here using Mobile 93 octane and now Mobile is leaving the state and is selling their stations to Citgo.So, now I'tryin' to find a Shell station . I think the country will not recover from the financial situation we are in for a few years ,if it does. So why does't Ford or GM send it's high milage cars here. It's bad enough you have to option the vehicles out ie: you want lumbar support in a Focus ,you updrade to an SEL witl a 302A pkg.It reminds me of what Toyota used to do ,or still does.Fiat isn't selling here .I read their prospectus this morning.If I was a CEO of an European company I'd ship over here cars equipped or optioned out like the Mini, only the size of a Focus ,or Cruze. The Astra a few years ago almost had it right in HB department.
    Well, the wife wants me to get rid of the VW with only 8k on it and when we get to Denver,pick up a Subararu that's a Turbo and to stop tryn' to buy American.She's probably right.
    edited August 2011
    It seems that about the only car makers these days that allow you to pick and choose your options ala-carte are BMW and Mini (there may be a few others), other than those two, packages (with restrictions) are the name of the game. My initial criticism of the Focus surrounded the requirement of opting for an autotragic transmission if one wanted the Titanium package. Of course when I actually got in to a new 2012 I found that not only did Ford shrink the usable interior space compared to the previous generation, they shrank it so much that it now has even less overall legroom than a Mazda2 and something like three inches less than the Mazda3.

While my wife and I have yet to rule out the Focus for our next car, the inability to use it for any of our frequent family trips is a serious drawback compared to the competition (which on our short list includes the 2012 6-Speed Mazda3 SkyActiv-G (or even the 2013 SkyActiv-D) and the 6-Speed Golf TDI).
    It's not just that Euro gallons are different, the Euro test cycles are also not the same as the U.S. EPA tests. Also emissions are different. That means a 65 mpg vehicle in Europe might only get 45 in the U.S.
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    edited August 2011
    I doubt if any of the Fiesta/Mazda2 (or Scirocco/Corrado) can match the new Focus' overall leg room, 'cause I repeatedly sat in them back & forth at the LA Autoshow. The new Focus is still a joke in this area, especially when comparing to something cheap like the Nissan Versa.

I was only a little kid when barely sat comforably inside the Mk1 Scirocco front & back, but it's still no match for the air-cooled Beetle's high-chair back seat (both leg & head room).

Now @ 5'11", I'm too big even for the new Focus' back seat.
    I bought a new Gen 1 Scirocco in 1979 and loved that car; what a blast to scream around corners/curves on three wheels. :shades:

Funny thing about the Mazda2 versus the 2012 Focus, the dealership where I bought my Mazda3 is a combination Ford and Mazda dealership and I had the opportunity to compare a 2011 Mazda3, a 2012 Focus, and a 2011 Mazda2 side-by-side-by-side, and I was so shocked that the Mazda2 seemed to have a bit more legroom than the Focus that the first thing I did when I got home was to look it up. Sure enough, the Mazda2 has 42.6/33.0/75.6 (Front/Rear/Total) inches of legroom versus 41.9/33.2/75.1 inches. To be sure, both cars are too tight for fitting my family so I guess the point is moot when the Mazda3 has so much more room (42.0/36.2/78.2).
    edited August 2011
    Maybe, I'm getting old or something ,but I've been on this site for 15 years ,they have me down as 2 years.
    Anyways Himler, Spyder and Nippon Only had the answers for our Integs and GSR'splus the RSX.
    My problem is I have a short list made. .The Ford Fiesta SE HB because of the SFE pk and you can get a moonroff etc; as you can't in the Focus. I have to step up to the SEL HB to get get lumbar, and some other stuff. I never use the backseat in any of my cars and I don't care if they fold flat or not.The Fiesta is about 3k cheaper than the SEl Focus .
    Now, the TDI Golf has every thing the Fords do not offer except ,if you get a moonroof I think you have to get navigation also. and the price is maybe $2300.00 more than the Focus.
    Now, the Fiesta acording to the dealer w/SFE will get me 40mpg, the Focus 36 mpg I can't get anything out of Mazda on their Sky engine dieasal for milage or price.Oh, I forgot I don't care about rear seat room. Oil is $85.38 a barrell today ,but I wouldn't put much stock in it.
    Lastly, I was driving home @ and stopped at a dealers lot and they left a Mini unlocked and I sat in it and it fit like a glove,however I locked my self in it and it was dark out so I called the police and they got me out. They saw my purple heart plates and one was a Marine so they laughed at the situation. I like the Mini, but living in snow country forget it.
    Ok, which car would you buy,bearing in mind diesal cost 50- 60 cents more a gallon?Also, we just got a new governor that has changed the car tax system as no one pays MSRP. So forget bringing the sticker to pay your excise tax and sales tax.Excise tax is $50..00 a thousand of cars value and sales tax is5 %. Thanks Puffin
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    You've picked three good ones there. I'll offer up a possible fourth. Kia Rio 5. It's brand new this year, 39 mpg, 5-door hatch. I'm 6'4" and can fit in it!

Best of luck with whatever you get.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    I currently have a 2010 Fusion Sport. 40K on the clock, Car runs great, handles great, rides great, but Fuel economy sucks. 21.6 MPG. Now that it is out of warranty, of course something broke. The drivers door handle cracked where the spring is, and apparently this is a common thing from 2006 on. You would think they would have improved that.

Just in daily driving to and from work, we spend about $90 a week in gas. I'm considering downsizing to a Focus, if it gets 32 MPG in DD, that would save us roughly $118 a month in gas alone. If I get it for $450 a month or less then I would be saving an additional $50+ a month. We put on 500 miles a week to and from work plus what ever weekend driving we do. At a minimum $168 a month savings might be seen, but going down a size in the car, plus we have 2 car seats in it, I am not sure if it is worth doing. Our family car, when we go out with the whole family is a 2010 Flex, and that is a great car, but it gets 18 MPG, so it is even more expensive to drive daily, But oh so much fun, its Ecoboost, and QUICK!

What kind of MPG can I expect in rural driving, mixed of Country highways and city? As a comparison, a 2009 Camry Hybrid got us 38 MPG, and a Prius 53 MPG. I like driving the Sport, but the FE on it is just not that good.
    What Fusion do you have 4 or 6?

21.6mpg is about exact for the average EPA on the 6...if you have the 4cyl and you're getting 21.6mpg...that's like the city mpg.

So I'd compare what you get now compared to the Focus EPA.

Fusion 4cyl @ 21.6mpg (you're getting city mileage) = Focus 27mpg (city)
    Fusion 6cyl @ 21.6mpg (you're getting average) = Focus 31mpg (average)

I used http://www.fueleconomy.gov for these calculations/comparisons.
    He says it's a Sport. That is a 6 cyl.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    The Fusion Sport is a 6 cyl but not the more common 3.0L. It's the 3.5L instead.
    I know....your point?
    Sorry, didn't realize the 'sport' was more than an emblem or pin-striping...the way they used to add 'Sport' to Chrysler mini-vans :)
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    It's the whole package on this one. Suspension, seats, handling, engine, trans. It used to get over 23 MPG then I replaced the tires with ones that actually grip the road, and it dropped.

I test drove the Focus, and the back seat doesn't look like it will cut it. I have two kids still in car seats, one in a booster, and the leg room is too tight for either of them, my son would have to curl his feet to keep them off the seat back. Other than that the car drove rather well, though the engine is loud, and it is a bit of a slug compared to what I drive now, but is something to take with a grain of salt considering the difference in MPG. The other thing I did have a problem with is the center console, my knee presses right against it, and to alleviate that I had to move the seat back a bit, which used up more rear leg room. I was considering the Titanium package, the one I test drove was an SEL base, so maybe the seat would be a bit more adjustable in the Titanium. I still have to put the car seats in and see how the kids fit before writing it off. If this doesn't work, I could always look for a used Fusion Hybrid.