Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Ford Focus

Comments

• gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    Acdii, how tall would you say you are? Would you call yourself a long-legged dude (or dudette)?

Thanks.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    It's rough getting kids in a car seat without their feet landing on the back of the chairs.

I think it's the child seat angles they have...the kids are tilted back a bit- as opposed to sitting upright. Even the upright boosters end up on the back on my car seat (IS350)...little legs can't bend so they stick straight out :) I had that in every car i've owned.

Do they 'fit' in your Fusion?
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    My point is that you only told him the Sport is a 6cyl. There are several EPA ratings for the Fusion and only the base I4 and base V6 were listed in the post you replied to. Stating that the Sport is just a 6 cyl didn't help the OP at all and I was clarifying your information for the OP.

How was I supposed to know that you knew the Sport had the 3.5L V6 when you didn't take the time to tell us?
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited September 2011
    I guess I didn't think it really mattered that much to the discussion. It would only make about a 1mpg difference in the avg v6 epa rating versus the smaller v6. Should have been more clear. Sorry.
    I think the original email said it was a 2010, but no harm.

I think he'll get the 'average' mpg for a Focus.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    They fit fine in the Fusion, which was one of the selling points of the car for me. I currently have my dealer looking for a similarly equipped Fusion Hybrid in my price range, as I wrote off the Focus due to the back seat issues.
    "I guess I didn't think it really mattered that much to the discussion. It would only make about a 1mpg difference in the avg v6 epa rating versus the smaller v6."

I guess if you look at it in terms of raw numbers it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. The way I look at it though is that when you have a Sport you're likely going to flog it more than the base V6 which hurts FE even more than the numbers tell you. If you're not flogging it more then you should have bought something else. ;)

So yeah, if you trade a Fusion Sport in for a Focus you gain FE but lose the fun factor. If you still want FE, some fun factor, and good comfort then the Fusion I4 is for you IMO.
  • FEHarperFEHarper Member Posts: 70
    edited September 2011
    I have recently purchased a Ford Fusion 2012, Titanium pkg, after owning 4 VWs, all great handling German cars with good mileage. I prefer the Fusion - better handling - this thing is quiet, corners beautifully with virtually no body lean, gets remarkable good gas mileage - 27 in town, and is SMART. I may be in the minority, but I love the Myfordtouch, sync interface and after some practice, feel like I have a woman who loves me in the dash. The interface is menu driven, a little more complex than is really necessary, but works. Voice recognition works fine but requires familiarity with the commands and when and how to respond (this is critical) - should not a real problem for anyone who can operate a smart phone. Performance for a small 4 cylinder is remarkable as well - just keep it in sport mode. I know the back seat has been a REAL issue for this forum - a little tight, but it depends on who is in the front seat as to how roomy it is. The automatic parallel parking works as advertised - fits into the smallest of spaces without a problem.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I think you meant Focus, not Fusion.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    because you talk about the back seat room issue, FEHarper, I also believe that you are talking about the Ford Focus that you bought. Not the Ford Fusion. Thanks for the input nonetheless!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

If you found it quiet, then the VW must have really been noisy. I found the Focus a bit loud, but everything else you mentioned is pretty much like it is. It hugs the curves with nary a roll.
    Whoops - correct, I meant Focus - so much for late night posts!
  • lmcdrmlmcdrm Member Posts: 5
    Well, I just wanted to offer up an opinion on the 2012 Focus.

I have a 2008 Mazda 3 Sport Hatch. Currently at the local Mazda dealer (also a Ford dealer) for an electrical issue covered by warranty...

I've had 4 rentals each time the M3 has been there:
    2011 Ford Fusion (in my opinion, a piece of :sick: )
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria (leathered out cop car)
    2011 Mercury Grand Marquis (same thing)
    2012 Ford Focus SEL 5 door

I'm pretty impressed by the Focus. Drives very well, holds the road, and even in the basic SEL trim (no other options except power moonroof), it's a pretty decent car. Lots of equipment (basic SYNC stereo, dual zone AC, power win/lock/mirror) and mostly easy to use.

Three issues I've had that would keep the Focus off the shopping list... Two are a Ford fix and the other is just getting used to it...

BIG ISSUE - the "sport" 6 speed automatic transmission with shift buttons. When in 'drive', the transmission goes into upper gears too quickly - you're in 2nd gear before you cross an intersection from stop. Sometimes, the transmission lurches into gear and it doesn't shift smoothly. This is a Ford fix - they need to reprogram the controllers to not shift so soon.

Minor issue - the Cruise control. With My Mazda, I turn the cruise on or off with a button, and it's always ready, in "stand by" until I set a speed. With the Focus (with every Ford I've recently driven) the cruise control system shuts off each time you shut the engine off. I have to push the control to turn the system "ON" each and every time and THEN I get to set speed. Ford, can you please just have an "on/off" setting for the cruise, instead...? Just like My Mazda, My 2001 PT Cruiser, My mom's 2002 PT Cruiser and our 1994 Town & Country van...?

Third issue - have to get used to it - there are WAY TOO MANY buttons, levers, switches and controls on the steering wheel. There are 2 four point controllers with an "OK" button in each - one controls instrument panel display (trip computer, mileage controls, etc.) and the other is for the center console display (setting radio & other functions). Then, on each side of the wheel, there is another 4 way rocker switch - one for the cruise control, one for the radio controls, with a pull "paddle" behind each (cruise is for resume, radio is for voice recognition of SYNC system). There are just too many buttons covering too many functions right there and they're not the easiest to use at first.

Other than those few things, the Focus is a good car and a great value for the money. From what I've read, stay away from the MyFord Touch system (the bigger touch screen system) for the radio & AC, plus GPS. And there are others that have commented on the transmission shifting issues - with many dealers responding that it's just a "learning curve" - but it's still an annoyance. :confuse:
    The transmission is different - it's a dry clutch system with two manual transmissions linked together. Most of the problems seem to go away after 1000 miles or so. The dry clutch design makes the tranny smaller and more fuel efficient but it's not as smooth as the wet clutch system. And I'm sure the programming is biased towards mileage.

Maybe they will come out with new logic that will make it feel smoother. You can put it in S mode (still automatic) and it will hold gears longer and downshift sooner - that makes it better for some.
    I really doubt Ford will reprogram the tranny for more agressive shifting, especially right now with the focus on fuel mileage.

I'm a bit more interested in the back story. Did they simply toss the Focus at you? Or did you specifically request it? I'd be surprised that they're using the Focus as loaners, given the supposed shortage and high demand. The SEL is especially hard to come by.

Maybe Ford finally overcame the supplier hiccups that were hurting production. I am finally seeing more of them on the road now-- probably about 3 or 4 per week, compared to 1 per week less than a month ago.
  • jimc16jimc16 Member Posts: 21
    I read your comments about the Myfordtouch with interest. This un-needed and complicated technology is keeping me from buying Ford. According to JD Powers, others agree. I always wanted my computer to be as reliable and user friendly as my car, now Ford has made the car as user-unfriendly and unreliable as the computer. To me, this is a step backward and the only advantage seems to be in advertising.
    Jim,

You have valid concerns, and there is a simple fix: don't get the technology. Ford mytouch is only built until the higher trim level (the Focus Titanium). Mytouch is optional with the lower trims (SE and SEL).

There seems to be a growing misperception that mytouch is standard with all Ford models.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Has anyone gotten the $50 rebate to test drive a Focus? The website someone gave me in here doesn't work and since we want to test drive the Focus and the Fiesta, might as well get the $50 to do so. Any help would be appreciated! :) I am,

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited September 2011
    Can you get everything that is offered in the Titanium as options on the SEL not including mytouch of course? If not, then what if one wants a Titanium version but doesn't want the electronic goblins? I have a feeling it's not even just mytouch but also the SYNC that a lot of people don't like and that is standard on the SE and SEL, no? I really don't know for sure.

I feel his pain as I really don't like sunroofs. I don't like the lost headroom or the initial and potentially follow on expense. However, it's impossible to get the high end versions of many cars without getting the sunroof in the "package" so I pay my dime and put up with them but don't like it.
    Sync is fine. It's MFT that has issues, although the latest version seems to be quite stable. A totally new version rewritten from scratch will be here in a few months.

Some people just aren't going to like this type of interface. I expect some minor tweaks but the basics will still be there. You can still get a loaded SEL without it and add the handling package yourself.
    jimc16,
    I do understand after reading various posts that many were having trouble with MFT/sync , but I have just bought my car and have had no real problems other than the extra dialogue that seems unnecessary. I have been using voice transcription for over ten years and understand the limitation of the software and the need to enunciate carefully. I do it naturally. I have had no glitches -like unexepected crashes and suspect these were fixed with most recent updates. If you use this system as it is intended, you will not need to take your eyes off the road. It is like conversing with a passenger. By the way, the Titanium handling package with 18 in wheels simply handles better than any car I have driven. My suggestion for Ford is to eliminate the need to say, for instance, "destination/POI" etc after the navigation command - POI should be sufficient. Some other steps could be eliminated that aren't needed. These menus will be simplified on future upgrades hopefully.
    There is an option for abbreviated menus - not sure that would help with the POI command though.
    To answer your question, almost but not quite, but it depends on your view of the options. A fully loaded SEL is very similar to a Titanium, but you still won't have the Titanium handling option. However, the Titanium's suspension has been criticized as actually being a bit too firm and jarring.

Oddly enough, even though certain minor creature comforts are not available in the SE, the SE does have the sport package, though it's still not quite clear to me if this is the same suspension as the Titanium. The best reviews of the Focus that I've seen have been of the SE with sport package and manual transmission.

So, no, you can't build an SE or SEL identical to a Titanium sans FMT, but because of the goofy way the trims are structured, it's not necessarily true that Titanium > SEL > SE. It appears that Ford might have been thinking: SE: budget and/or performance; SEL: comfort; Titanium: tech and performance.

Also, I've not heard many complaints about SYNC itself, mainly FMT.
    jimc16,
    Even if you have SYNC you don't have to use it. Every knob and button are still there and you can completely ignore the voice activation by simply never pressing that button.

gambit293,
    The way I understand the suspensions, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that the Titanium comes standard with the regular sport pkg which is optional on the SE (but not the SEL for some insane reason). Then you can opt for the Titanium handling pkg which gives you more suspension tweaks over the regular sport pkg tweaks thus making the Titanium with the handling pkg the ultimate handling Focus. Until the ST comes out of course.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    edited September 2011
    I'm thinking that, all else being equal (as in tires and such), the odds of a Sport Package equipped SE with the 17" wheel/tire setup being able to out handle a Handling Package equipped Titanium is pretty good. Why? The 18" wheel tire setup and the lack of suspension compliance on the Titanium is actually a liability when it comes to crisp and responsive handling.
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    edited September 2011
    However, the Titanium's suspension has been criticized as actually being a bit too firm and jarring.

Road&Track
    "Little torque steer exists, but some vagueness in the steering occurs when driving hard. It¡¦s a small luxury car, for sure."

Plus the vague steering on the Titanium's handling package? Where's the original Focus' superiority?

Have you driven the impressive Focus SVT. I tried to make it close by disconnecting my ST sedan's steering-pump computer wire in order to get rid of the overboosted assist that hurts the steering precision during cornering.

Now the new Focus no longer excels in steering feel, while the current Golf has superior ride comfort & quietness -- who's the boss in small luxury car? The current Golf is really a "Focus" w/ longer spring travel, b/c its rear suspension is Control Blade designed by the original Focus engineer. The next Golf won't have it unless it's the lowered optional stiff (read uncomfortable) suspension.

TopGear
    Comfort
    VW have made some serious changes to the MkV to make the MkVI, even if they share the same basic bits - and one of them has been attention to NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) issues. The new Golf is quieter, better built and simply nicer to drive than before. You'll fit the whole family in here and the whole deal is as classless as it comes. Boringly good.
    Handling
    Because the significant chassis bits are just five years old, we don't get any big changes there. But let's not be grumpy, we don't need them. The whole thing's been recalibrated and rather well. And top models get the adaptive damping from the Passat CC and Scirocco. This really is a revelation. The ride is superb, a lovely quiet suppleness that never goes floaty. It's good at all speeds; big humps and small, low frequencies and high. Handling was greatly improved for the Mk5, and the Mk6 is a consolidation of that: progressive and controllable, with steering calibrated to be stable and reassuring in A-road curves rather than super-agile when you're hooning through roundabouts.

& the Golf VI's smooth ride makes the new Ford Focus (as well as Peugeot & Renault) look bad:
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/268390/peugeot_308_vs_rivals.- - - html?CMP=NLC-Newsletters&uid=13175373d3a30b0aa330c8ea6a3df587
  • wjtinatlwjtinatl Member Posts: 50
    Wow. Just drove a Titanium 5-door with the optional Handling package. Great handling car, better than my '03 Focus SVT. The PowerShift gearbox is a liability, Ford really needs to offer the manual across all trim levels. I was sold on the car until... I popped the hatch. The Handling package comes with (and requires) a full-size spare tire (Michelin Pilot Sport!) on a steel wheel. Unfortunately the full-size wheel/tire require a raised load floor that reduces the cargo area by about a third. For my needs (I work out of my car) the small cargo area is a non-starter. The standard Titanium handles well, but driving the car with the handling package spoiled me. As far as I know, the handling package does not include any type of locking differential, electronic or mechanical. Anyone know of any reason why the full-size tire would be necessary with the handling package? I'm thinking I'd pull the full-size wheel and replace it with a regular Focus compact spare, using the full-size for 1 of the 4 new Michelin's once replacement is required.
    Only reason I could think if is the 18" wheels are larger than the standard spare that normally goes there and couldn't be used with the 18" tire package. It makes more sense for Ford to include a full size spare if that is the case instead of having to produce a spare donut for just the handling package. Would be far less expensive.
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    edited September 2011
    I dunno, I 'm on Auto Express alot and C@D.The Focus Ti was the cat's meow and it seems the VW Golf comes out on top.(in the UK)
    What's the difference in the DSG, between the VW and the Focus? That's what's stopping me from being patiotic.The 1st gear clunk in the Focus.
    TY,

Puffin
    The Ford powershift in the Fiesta and Focus is a dry clutch design. The powershift in the Ford European models and the VW is a wet clutch design. The dry clutch is lighter and more fuel efficient but it's not as smooth.
    The full size spare with the Ti handling pkg is a steel wheel so they did produce a special spare anyway. The tire is different from the stock tires too but it is the same diameter.
    I wonder if it was due to the speed rating of the tires?
    That's what others have said so it may be true. However the rubber on the Ti's spare is supposedly the same rubber on the base Ti and I'm not sure the speed rating matches that of the Ti with handling's rubber.
    edited October 2011
    Before the last threat from VW -- the "long suspension travel" Mk6 Golf w/ Control-Blades -- disappears, lets see how does it compare to the new Focus.

First, the domestic-built Ford stinks literally, due to the low-quality plastic smell from the dashboard area. My '07 Focus still has it & I can't stand driving it under sun light, even the air coming out from the vents makes me pretty sick. The '12 Focus continued w/ that smell somewhat.

The dealer didn't have a stick Focus. So I test drove w/ the dual-clutch tranny, which was fine & didn't behave anything funny. The large-displacement 2.5 Five-cylinder in the Golf w/ wide-ratio 5-speed manual didn't feel particularly quick or smooth/quiet. But the Focus has more road-noise boom w/in the body structure despite the advantage of sedan-body's isolation.

Both seem to have identical 195/65-15 Continental tires. The Focus overwhelms the tires' limit easier, both during cornering & straight-line hard acceleration from standing still. Abrupt lane-change test also made both the front & rear tires about to skid, which is fun if you enjoy a lively rear end. The Golf's rear tires never lost any grip, while cornering hard during low speeds triggered the ESP to get rid of the understeer by braking the rear tire.

The Golf's steering is light at parking-lot speed, then the effort builds up gradually. The Focus' steering-effort immediately adds heft right above parking-lot speed, along w/ more self-centering force. The higher effort alone made it seem more fun & spirited. Neither car got high level of steering feel, although even the Golf felt natural enough not to bother me.

The test routes aren't too bumpy, but the Focus seems to have a firmer suspension.

No test was done on the fwy.

The Golf has comfier front seats plus more lateral support similar to GTI seats, along w/ more rear leg room. But Focus' rear cushion seems comfortably higher.

I don't find the Mk6 Golf exciting to drive, while the new Focus surprised me with the lackluster tire grip. The VW is a higher-quality & cushier car, while the Focus might be just slightly more fun. Looks like I'm better off continue w/ my old cars w/ better livelier steering: E36 328is, Focus ST, Protege DOHC & manual-steering Mk1 Jetta. :D
    16" tires seem to be a good compromise in ride comfort. Two of our cars have the 185/65/15 size and the other two have 205/55/16 size and I definitely prefer the larger tired cars. They seem to grip the road better and drive smoother. I've been driving the Accent with the 15" tires for the last month or so but had to drive my Civic the other day to fill up the tank and really noticed how much better it drove.

The wife informed me tonight that she also plans to test drive the 3 series, the C class and the IS 250 just to make sure that she shouldn't raise her budget a bit. I'm assuming that these cars start with 17" tires and increase in size depending on what packages are on the car...18" & 19" are possible I'm assuming. Besides a substantial bump up in price, is the ride that much better...or worse as by going up in size, wouldn't the sidewall get smaller which would make the ride less smooth as one goes up in size? Makes no sense to spend the extra $ if the ride gets progressively worse. Or am I wrong on this subject? Don't get me wrong, a fancier ride would be really cool but with the increased price comes increased prices for everything else, no?

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Usually ride quality goes down with the larger rims...but you really need to test drive each because everything about the suspension system comes into play. So some 18's in one car may feel better than 16's in another.

I also heard that the best 'performing' tires are usually 16's...the added weight of 17-19's hurt performance for a small increase in sidewall stiffness.

Of course...I always go for the largest rims available...performance goes down, but cool factor goes up ;)
    edited October 2011
    Trust me, the "coolness" factor won't come into play here but a smooth comfortable ride will. And since we've never owned a somewhat "luxury" car, this could be a fun adventure. I know I fell in love with the C class I drove last year, just the most ultimate driving experience I've ever experienced! I know she'd love it also, though she 1st mentioned the 3 series BMW. Apparently, she & my daughter did test the 3 series back in '05 but decided to just spend less $ and bought the Mazda3 instead. But we'll see what happens as she knows she can buy whatever she wants & can afford without asking me. She just knows I have a passion for this stuff and will do the final test drive on whatever she buys so I can test for proper wheel alignment and stuff like that. And I also service all of our vehicles and I tend to be a bit anal in that department...I like the steering wheel dead on straight, the tires having the proper inflation...things like that. Also, I make sure the cars get detailed every year...which we'll have done towards the end of the month.

So, this is gonna be very cool to go test drive what we have on our growing short list and I can't wait to see what ends up in her side of the garage. This is a good thing!!

• griswaldgriswald Member Posts: 33
    I found the Continentals surprisingly quiet on the 12 Focus SE with sport pkg, easily going around bends at speeds more than twice the posted limit without protest. In high speed extremely abrubt manoeuvers they will squeal but as these are very infrequent in daily driving this is unlikely to be of much concern to the average enthusiastic driver. My experience with VWs is they're fine if you don't mind occasional incapacitating electrical gremlins, hopefully they've improved with this in the last few years.
    edited October 2011
    Consumer Reports gave the made-in-Germany Golf 2.5 the top "solid red" reliability rating, which is probably unheard of for any German designed cars, including the later Focus' w/ Mazda-designed engines. The Golf w/ turbo engines are significant more problematic.

The Golf's well-dampened supple-&-steady suspension actually squealed the same tires less than the new Focus did, even though the 2.5 Golf 2-dr weighs slightly more than the new 2.0 Focus S sedan.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of a 2011 or 2012 Ford Focus who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Monday, October 31, 2011 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tina39tina39 Member Posts: 1
    Odour in the 2012 Ford Focus - I noticed in entry number 740 that the writer complains about a skanky stinky smell from the low quality plastic. Is there anything that can be done to alleviate this smell? I've contacted the dealership, but so far they will not take responsiblity. The dealership acknowledges the smelll but seems to thinka detailing outfit might be able to take care of it. I haven't yet gone to a detailer. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Test drove an SE model this morning and was very impressed. While waiting for the sales guy, saw a SEL hatch with the stone leather in a blueish green color and it looked stunning with the 17" alloys...the leather seating surfaces were very comfortable and the power controls were just the icing on the cake...just what I need for my severe spinal issues. I must've sat in it for like 5 minutes just drinking it all in...I fell in love!

The SE was pretty smooth and it accelerated with a nice growl...getting up to speed was quite easy and the brakes were pretty linear in their stopping ability...almost no pedal fade, they stopped the car smoothly with not much dead travel in the pedal...was quite impressive! Unfortunately, their test drive course doesn't give one a chance to really put the car through it's paces...that will require a longer drive in a model we'd purchase. The fabric was just o k, the leather was much more comfortable. The Sync radio would be o k as long as it as bluetooth connectability. I never thought we'd ever consider a Ford product after our dismal histry with them, but this Focus I could own easily! Good job Ford

Have many more choices on our short list and our time frame is 8 months to a year unless something bad happens to her current Mazda 3s. But we do have a contender here with the Focus SE or SEL.

I really liked the Focus as well...never owned a Ford before (or any American car).

I had a tough time finding any vehicle with the 17" machined wheels (an option on the SE).

I really liked the SE with sport suspension (I don't think you can get it on an SEL); ideally with the 17" wheels.

The titanium looks interesting with the sports package...but I don't care for the 18" 5 spoke rims (looks 90's to me :) )

Strange thing...my wife and I drove the new beetle (the new man beetle) after the focus and both really like how it drove. Not to get into a 'versus' since this isn't the thread for it...but we're deciding between the two. No rush here either.

Ford has the advantage with the pricing. I should be able to get 3k off the MSRP price with rebates (VW at MSRP).
    edited November 2011
    Sat in one after the Focus yesterday and really wasn't impressed...liked the Jetta SE much better! We had a couple of Lincoln's when I was young as well as Cadillac's and the Caddy's were a better car I think. the only Ford we had was a 1072 Torino Grand Sport and it was a piece of ****! Couldn't make it a couple of miles from the dealership on the 1st day & had to be towed back where they kept it for an additional week to figure out what was wrong. They gave us a brand new Mustang to drive, which really was a nice car...we should've just kept it! We were basically a GM family and they never missed a beat while my grandparents lover Chrysler, especially the Imperial which they bought every 2 years like clockwork through the family business. The business also leased my mom a Caddy every couple of years also, except for the '66 & '72 Lincoln Continental...all barges if you'd ask me but they loved 'em all.

Not sure we'll end up with the Focus but I personally loved the SEL hatchback model...sweet ride. Once I get the wife to drive one, we'll know if it'll stay on the short list. Our time frame is 8 to 12 months right now since we just replaced the sneakers on her current ride. But a very impressive car the Focus! Drove the SE and was pleased, have owned only foreign brands since '76 but this Focus could change the game for us!

• puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    The SEl has lumbar support. The only drawback for me is that the seats ar e not multi level heated . :sick:
    Add Cooled seats...then we have something interesting... :shades:
    edited November 2011
    I bought an '05 Focus ST during winter, then later noticed the sickening plastic smell coming out from the dashboard fan after the car has been exposed to warm sun light. The dealer said it's just "normal new car smell".

I then test drove an '06 Focus ST & didn't noticed that smell. So I assumed that the later models no longer got this problem. I went ahead & traded it in for an '07 Focus ST. Initially it didn't have that smell, but later...

That was no "normal new car smell"! The car didn't smell like that when new; that smell developed after the car has been aged a little, then the smell never went away. It's not just a bad smell. Instead of getting used to it, I actually feel pretty sick the longer I lived with it!

Like my old Focus, the 2012 new Focus still has some of that smell as well as the noisy ventilation fan. This is a low-quality car manufacturer trying to build a premium car, & tried so hard to impress by offering the complicated MyFordTouch. :sick:

Even though the "Control Blade rear suspension" pioneered by the Focus rules, the Mazda3, Volvo C30/S40/V50 & Passat/A3/Golf (V & VI) have all adopted it.

Oh, by the way, the little Golf VI 2.5 not just inherited Focus' rear-suspension technology, but offering a more pampering longer front suspension travel as well.
    smell.

I noticed a smell on a new one...but assumed it was the packaging 'stuff' that is sometimes on the exhaust system (drove a G37 that almost chocked us to death...).

Are you saying that there is a continuous smell coming off the dash (or somewhere).

I hope you're not referring to the 'new car' smell...that is glorious...especially with leather :)
    My daughter's 2012 is 4 months old and has no such smell nor have I heard that complaint from anyone else.
    I alway order my cars w/ cloth interior. That "painful" smell kept sipping out from the dashboard, even when I dialed the vent air into heated air! It's not a new car smell, b/c it wasn't this strong when the car was new. The plastic must have starting to melt once exposed to heat such as sun light. This problem isn't so severe during winter months.

I do like some "new car smell" -- such as the interior vinyl from '70's VW: Super Beetle & 914 :D But that smell actually stayed w/ the car for many years.