Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Ford Focus

Comments

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    You may have issues with bacteria in the vents. Spray some Lysol into where the air enters the HVAC system - probably at the cowl and the run the AC for a while to cirulate it.
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    edited November 2011
    This is another issue w/ my '05-07 Focus. Right after I use recirculating w/ the A/C on, the mildew smell occurs pretty badly, & quite embarrasing since passengers will notice it.

This mildew smell takes quite some time to go away after the fresh (non-recirculating) air in "A/C-off mode" kept blowing through the system.

I can avoid this issue simply by not using the A/C & REC buttons the same time.

My '90 Protege had the exact same problem, but the factory service bulletin took care of it by replacing certain A/C part made of different material. Ford is no Mazda :sick:

The "sickening plasic smell from the dashboard" is a separate thing those of you in cold climate zones won't experience much. This problem is unavoidable unless I never park the car under sun light, which is impossible here in sunny California.
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707
    ???

The Focus has heated seats in the SEL, if you select the winter package. And they are multi-level.
  • cannon3cannon3 Member Posts: 296
    I live in the Northwest. In the last 2 weeks I noticed 5, yes 5!! new Focus in my neighborhood. 1 SEL sedan, 1 SEL hatch, 3 SE Hatch. I have never seen so many new cars in this short of period. Looks like Ford hit a homerun with this rendition of Focus. Also read Honda is scrambling with the 2013 Civic interior and some updates to counter the Focus. Lets just hope Ford doesn't take their eye of the target and let the Focus fade. Give credit where credit is due.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Honda got caught flat-footed. Same with Toyota, I haven't heard word 1 about a 2012 Corolla. I'm considering the Focus and the Mazda3 SkyActiv right now, depending on how the Kugascape and CX-5 look when they arrive (and depending on when they arrive of course).

Mazda and Subie are the only ones keeping up with Chevy, Ford, and Hyundai in this class.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Living in South Florida...that won't really be an issue. Did see an SEL hatch today in the dark gray flecked paint with the 17"alloys and it was nice but did prefer the 16" alloys with the aqua color much better...just brought out the lines of the car better. Sometimes darker isn't always better!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Yes, the leather was really nice in the SEL I sat in last week...it had a nice feel/smell to it. If the wife likes it above all the other compacts in the market within the next year, a Focus just might end up in our garage. And a Ford has not been in our family since 1976 when we got rid of the worst car we had ever owned hands town...a 1972 Torino Grand Sport...a total piece of garbage which broke down on it's 1st day of ownership, not even able to reach the 7 miles to our house. This new Focus must be good if even a die in the wool Ford hater would even consider it...and it is worth considering!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2011
    A reporter is interested in talking with parents who own a 2011 or 2012 Kia Optima, Kia Sorento, Hyundai Elantra, Ford Focus, Honda Fit, Honda Odyssey, Mazda 5, Subaru Outback, Dodge Durango, or Toyota Sienna. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 30, 2011 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Thanks!
  • warren65warren65 Member Posts: 2
    I received a $50 rebate from ford all i had to do is test drive a ford focus and receive a form with a number on it. I went on line 7 weeks ago and did just that. When I called the Ford 800 # they told me they had nothing on file. FORD PRODUCTS ARE FOUND ON ROAD DEAD. Personally i think the dealer gave me false numbers. Heritage Ford.
    edited November 2011
    Did the same thing but my dealer gave me the wrong code...go figure...and were'nt even interested to call me back when I left word I got the correct code from Ford...shows how much they care about a potential customer huh! I spoke to a lady at Ford who gave me the correct code and it came back saying it had to verify it, but it did take it on the computer. So, I guess I'll get my $50 in a few weeks or so.

Ford, if ya run a promotion, ya gotta learn how to do it right! It ain't that hard now is it!

• ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I went on ford.com and requested a snail mail brochure...they sent me a $500 rebate that can be combined with the other public rebates...which makes my rebates at $2500 off of the TMV--which sounds ok to me.

I have yet to apply this theory...so who know what will happen if/when I get to the negotiation point.
    That $500 is called a private offer. When they check your name and address in their computer system, it will come up showing you have that offer.

Just negotiate your best price before rebates and then apply them after.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Just negotiate your best price before rebates and then apply them after.

Yeah, I was going to print out the TMV and try to get under that; once the true bottom is reached I was going to bring out the rebates.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Look up the dealer invoice price on edmunds.com, add $500 to cover the FDAF fee and that's within $100 of what the dealer pays (not counting the holdback). Subtract all factory rebates and that's most likely the best you can do under normal circumstances. Don't forget to ask up front about the doc fee and figure that into the final cost.
    I also heard if one owns at least 100 shares of Ford stock, the X-plan is available. I'm dollar cost averaging right now to make sure I have much more than that amount id the wife decides on a Focus. If not, definitely think the stock will go up in price especially if they keep hitting home runs which each successive new vehicle. Just wish I had gotten in when Ford was down in the low single digits! Timing is everything! :) Also, when we bought the Mazda back in '05, we also were sent a $500 coupon in an e-mail and were able to use it when we made our deal.

I also heard if one owns at least 100 shares of Ford stock, the X-plan is available.

Yep - own 100 shares for 6 months you qualify for X-Plan. We used it when we purchased our Explorer in August.

BTW - only one X-Plan pin per year.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I found a Focus with a stick so took it for a short test drive. It was a gray SE sedan with few options but did have cruise and power windows/locks/mirrors, sticker about $18.4k. The shifter and clutch were a pleasure to use, and were smooth in operation even though it has been over a year since I drove a stick. The center armrest was well-placed for keeping my hand on the shifter. The ride was firm but not harsh, and bumps such as expansion joints in highways were felt but muted. Steering firmed up nicely on the highway.

Comfort-wise, the driver's seat could have used more lumbar support but otherwise fit well. The plastic steering wheel had sharp edges at 10 and 2, so I wonder if it would be comfortable for a long trip. There's thin padding on the front door armrests--but none in the rear (something I noticed also on a Mazda3 Skyactiv Touring). In back, leg room was just sufficient for the sit-behind-me test (5'9"). The high rear seat helps provide thigh support even though the leg room isn't great, also there's enough room to place feet. No limo but fine for short trips for up to 2 medium-sized adults.

The dash is fairly high so I felt like I was sitting low, even though I raised the driver's seat to close to its maximum height. Controls were a little hard to decipher at a glance, although the HVAC knobs were simple and intuitive (if a bit clacky compared to some other cars). It took the sales rep awhile to figure out how to reset the trip computer, for example, but we finally figured it out. Materials quality was good, except I would have liked a little padding on those rear armrests. Also there were no map lights, but there was one overhead light over the front center console that might do the trick.

Trunk room was fine, but the rear seat folds in one piece and slants up quite a bit, limiting the usefulness of the folding seat compared to cars (e.g. 2012 Impreza) that have a 60/40 seat with a flat load floor. The sales rep said the SE hatch has a 60/40 seat that folds flat because the rear cushion pulls up. They didn't have any of those in stock so I couldn't check it out, but that alone would put the hatch much higher on my list than the sedan.

On my short test, I reset the mpg meter when I got onto the freeway and saw 40 mpg the rest of the way, at speeds from 60-65 and including a couple of short stops at traffic lights. So it appears the car would have no problem hitting or exceeding its 36 mpg highway rating.

Overall I enjoyed how the car drove, and it had enough feature content for me at a reasonable price (dealer's "no haggle" price was $17.4k). However, I think I'd have to go with the hatch to get a practical folding rear seat, and that lists for $1000 more than the sedan I drove. At that price, it will compete with the Mazda3 Skyativ Touring, Impreza, and Cruze Eco among others.
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    Backy, whats the difference in milage between a wet DSG and a dry clutch? The Focus SEL HB my wife drove was not inpressed with the Focus transmission.Especially first gear.
    I understand most German cars have a wet tranny, if the difference is small we can forget @$24k and go with anothe vehicle.
    TY,
    Puffin
    Backy, whats the difference in milage between a wet DSG and a dry clutch?

The EPA has the manual rated 1 mpg less overall than two standard automatic offerings (not sure what the difference is between them), 30 vs. 31, and 3 mpg less than the special SFE variant with automatic. So not much difference except with the SFE, and that will cost a lot more than a stick since you have to pay for the automatic plus the SFE option. EPA says the fuel cost difference between stick and SFE is $154 a year with its assumptions. Based on that it would take a long time to get payback on the SFE automatic vs. stick. Plus you'd miss out on the fun of driving the stick. :)
  • markus5markus5 Member Posts: 102
    edited November 2011
    I drove an SE sedan W/ sport-appearance package earlier this year. This group includes soft options as well as rear discs and the select-shift upgrade for automatic equiped models. I think that Ford made one mistake here. They should have included an option to get a Back seat cushion that split and flipped forward w/split seat backs. This arrangement is found in the SEL models and standard in all Hatches what ever model you choose. Just a few months ago when I spoke to a Ford sales Rep about this, at first he could not believe it and then ran out to the lot where a few SE's were parked and we began to disassemble the rear seat. My opinion is that they should have had more attention to detail back there,

I am partial to the Sedan over the hatchback but I do not want to go to the SEL model level which is expensive and includes certain equipment which I am not interested in. Many reviewers give Focus very high marks is Fun to Drive category, it should be a very good successor to my '04 ZTS sedan, but I am glad I did not jump into it . This launch was not as problematic as the original Focus launch 12 years ago, but it has not been as good as the Ford people would have wanted it to be.
  • falcon6007falcon6007 Member Posts: 1
    Also, If you have ANYONE in your family (or a spouse's family) who works for a Ford supplier in any way, all you have to do is tell them, and you get X-Plan. Now, I am in Detroit Metro area, so ALOT of people here have a family member who works for a supplier, and they may ask for more validation of this fact in other areas...

It was good for $2000 off a $24000 vehicle here...
    X plan is approximately $150 over invoice, give or take. It won't save you $2K over what you could negotiate yourself but it could save a few hundred and there is no haggling and the price is the same at every dealer. It also limits the doc fee to $75. The dealer gets a spiff check from Ford for each sale so it's a win/win all the way around. You can also get X plan pins from a Ford employee or if you have 100 shares of Ford stock for more than 6 months.
    Also, If you have ANYONE in your family (or a spouse's family) who works for a Ford supplier in any way, all you have to do is tell them, and you get X-Plan.

IIRC, Ford employees and supplier employees may get more than 1 PIN per year and are allowed to share. We stockholders - yeah the owners - are only allowed 1.
    I believe Ford employees get 4 or 6 per year to hand out to friends and family. Ford Partners get 2 per year and stockholders only get 1.
    Not fair - we shareholders are the only ones with any skin in the game.
    I can't believe you can get 2k off a Focus,let alone $2400.00. I bought 100 shares of Ford just for that reason .Ford dealers are not dickering with John Q public. I mean just look at the TMV on here.
    I bought 100 shares @ $10.03 and it went to $11.89 then dropped to$10.00 again. I haven't checked it today.I bought it (the stock because of the hit the new Focus made.)
    Now, I drive a BMW 3 series 6spd, wife has a Lexus Is 6 spd. and I can't belive I bought a 2010 5 spd VW Golf loaded. I mean I thought VW's were junk and we bought it, for a Home Depot car. Evidently the V Dub model we bought is the most reliable in it's class.I know hard to believe,but it's so comfortable and has so many standard features, multilevl heated seats 2 MFI's Bluetooth,lumbar you name it.This is a 5cyl 2.5 that gets 34 highway and 20 around town, or better if you can stand driving 35 mph in 5th gear.
    Well, I'm going to try a 6 spd Focus SEL HB and do a TCO and make sure it doesn't have an interfaced engine(timing belt). I'm curious as to the multi link suspension also.
    Back to the Golf in order for me to get the same features with a Focus HB as the VW, you have jump to an SEL model,with 302a pkg and it totals out to $24K .
    Have a good 1 :shades: Puffin
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Yeah, I guess if Ford doesn't do well the employees that are laid off, the suppliers who go under and corporate bondholders have no skin in the game and won't mind a bit. Buy a $1,000 worth of Ford shares to get $2,000 off on a car and try to convince me you have real skin in the game. You're a thousand dollars ahead before you even sell the stock. If that's skin in the game it's a hangnail.
    Well I own much more than $1,000 worth of Ford and much of it is underwater. I guess I have to buy mutliple cars to earn that back. Hmmm - sounds like the dot com boom - sell at a loss but make up for it in volume.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I wonder if the Ford stock held in mutual funds counts as stock owership. I'm in a dozen or so stock funds and I'm sure that at least a couple of them have fairly large positions in Ford. I assume it is direct stock ownership that is required but it wouldn't hurt to find out.

I was really just trying to point out that there are definitely others that have skin in the game when it comes to Ford profits.
    I wonder if the Ford stock held in mutual funds counts as stock owership. I'm in a dozen or so stock funds and I'm sure that at least a couple of them have fairly large positions in Ford. I assume it is direct stock ownership that is required but it wouldn't hurt to find out.

I doubt it. Ford required that I send them 2 recent statements 90 days apart proving ownership. As for the mutual fund that wouldn't fly. The mutual fund owns the shares so they are the owner of record, not you.

I was really just trying to point out that there are definitely others that have skin in the game when it comes to Ford profits.

I realize that. I just find it odd that a supplier employee gets more PIN's than a shareholder.
    X plan is just over dealer invoice and there is only $1000 - $1200 between dealer invoice and MSRP. You might save $2K with additional incentives but X plan alone will only save you $1200 or so at most from MSRP and only a few hundred from what you could negotiate yourself.
    ...but X plan alone will only save you $1200 or so at most from MSRP and only a few hundred from what you could negotiate yourself.

Still makes X Plan a winner IMHO.

The best part of X Plan is being able to walk into the dealer and say you are an X Plan buyer. It makes the process so easy.
    My last 5 vehicles were X plan purchases. I wouldn't buy any other way. I was just pointing out that it's not going to save you thousands. Hundreds maybe but not thousands.
    I think I'm going to do some test-driving this weekend (before shopping row gets insane). It's interesting the option mixes between the two of these, the Focus can REALLY get up there. I'd probably be looking at an SEL or Titanium hatch versus a SkyActiv GT hatch. I had a 2004 Mazda3 and absolutely loved how it handled, but hated the FE and road noise. On the other hand, the Focus looks nice and gadgety, and I can get auto climate control. Any advice on what to look for, or suitably biased opinions? This is a Focus forum after all. :shades:
    edited November 2011
    ...hated the FE and road noise? You must had the 2.3 w/ the energy-wasting balance shafts. B/c CR tested the old Mazda3 2.0 stick & praised how it broke their FE record...

Yep, compare the Mazda3 2.0 Skyactive w/ the 2012 Ford Focus SFE.

& if you don't care about FE, & simple want gobs of torque w/o turbo/super charging, then compare Mazda3's 2.5 w/ the more powerful 5-cyl 2.5 in the Golf, but Toyota's 2.5 can do even better in both FE & power.
  • belaircarguybelaircarguy Member Posts: 107
    I rented a 2012 Focus SEL in July and had the car for a week. Overall a very nice car, but I was disappointed in the automatic transmission. It seemed to stumble when starting from a stop. There is an "S" mode, which helped, but to me, this would be a deal breaker for this car. It was annoying all week long, as the car was not smooth on take off from a dead stop.

I understand Ford is working on this problem, but in reading many posts regarding the transmission, many Ford dealers are saying nothing is wrong, stating you need to learn how to drive the car, etc.

I am going to be looking for a new car in a couple of months, and probably will look at a Focus, but if the transmission is still a herky jerky affair, it will be off the list in a hurry.

My other note on this car that there is no cubby in that can hold sunglasses, keys, change, toll tag etc. in the front console.

Bel Air Car Guy
    Yeah, I've heard about the tranny, it is giving me a moment of pause, though they've supposedly updated the programming on it as well as the MyFordTouch system. I don't expect much from the dealer salesmen, but I do know what the difference is between an automated DSG and an automatic is (unlike some of them), so we'll see.

I really REALLY want auto climate control though, and the Focus has it. The Mazda3 doesn't have it in the SkyActiv trims, and the 2.5 has rotten FE.

BTW yes I did have the thirsty 2.3L when I had a Mazda3. Yes it did have the engine problems that they had, which is why I now own a Hyundai Elantra Touring. Having realized Hyundai is a mistake for those who love the sense of zoom-zoom in the twisties, I am now trying to correct things. :shades:
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    edited November 2011
    I'm kind of in the same boat as you except (apparently) I'm being even more unreasonable than you in that I want a Mazda3 SkyActive or a Focus, with climate control AND a manual transmission. Mazda and Ford both say, "Good for you, shop somewhere else."
    I get stuck in traffic too much to put up with a third pedal, but what's with Ford putting a TOGGLE on the shifter instead of putting in a slapshifter?

If I want auto climate I have to give up a slapshifter, now THAT'S a tragedy. :)

I'm contemplating the Focus trims...I'll really need to try the seats out, because leather is a question mark. Then again, I'm tempted to stick with the SEL so I can get a non-black interior...but that means giving up the sport suspension. Decisions Decisions. :shades:
    Bought a SEL hatch for my daughter back in July. There was some stumbling at low speeds at first but that went away after a month or so. It's still there now but only about 10% of the time and even then it's not bad. There appear to be a few units that truly have mechanical problems and there is a TSB for new software that should help a lot.

This is a dry clutch unit (first one for Ford) and it's not quite as smooth as the wet clutch versions in Europe or a traditional automatic - but it does get good mpg.
    When I stopped in at a local Ford dealer to drive a Focus with a stick, the sales rep asked me why I was looking for a stick vs. automatic. I told him I missed having a stick shift (had one for many, many years but of late have been getting automatics so my DW or kids don't ruin the clutch like they did with one of my cars a few years ago). Also I said I had read that the automatic wasn't smooth. He seemed to get defensive at that comment and started rambling about how many people don't know how to drive an automatic. :surprise:

Anyway, I drove the stick (SE sedan) and liked it a lot. So I'd go that route if I got a Focus. Save some bucks that way also.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    We visited our local Ford dealer a few weeks ago and during our conversation with the salesman, he said that he, his dealership, and even momma Ford were surprised at the number of folks wanting manual transmissions in the new Focus. His dealership is currently ordering 60% of their Focus SE models for stock inventory with a manual transmission, and if the Titanium was available with a stick, he said he'd probably sell those at a one for one ratio.

Funny thing, this dealership even had a number of Fusion models on the lot with three pedals under the dash.
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707
    That herky-jerky start is a characteristic of a DSG transmission... or for that matter, any manual clutch if you pound the gas pedal the same moment you let your foot off the brake.

If you treat the car as if you would a stick, you'll see it respond better. (for it, in essence, *IS* a stick without the clutch pedal)
    Ok, started the car dealer dance today. Test drove a Cruze LTZ, a Focus Titanium (with standard Titanium suspension, not the enhanced suspension) and a Mazda3 SkyActiv. Interesting rides. Even though I wouldn't buy the Cruze, it was very comfortable and drove very smoothly. Nice tranny, gobs of torque, but the suspension, while it could be pushed some, didn't really want to be pushed, you could tell. Might have been the el-cheapo torsion beam. Steering was kinda numb too. Figured I'd check it out since I get a supplier discount. They showed me a loaded '11 and seemed really hot to get rid of it....

The Focus rode nice as well. Not as firm as I expected, but very sharp handling. Surpisingly I expected the wheel to be a little meatier and all the buttons to be difficult to deal with, but they turned out OK. Very comfortable leather seats, wouldn't want to sit in the back though. Love the extra blind spot mirror on the rearview mirrors. I just wish the wheel were a little thicker, and I could get the interior in something other than black. THe transmission was what I expected, definitely doesn't feel like a slushbox at low speeds, that will take getting used to. Loved the MyFordTouch system

Getting into the Mazda3 made me realize how much I missed driving one. ANd while I like the improvements, and LOVE the SkyActiv engine and auto-tranny to death, there's areas of the car that need some work, like the entire center stack, and the confusing steering wheel buttons (though the wheel itself is pleasantly meaty). The suspension beat the Focus's sport suspension....but not by much, and the Focus has more creature comforts available.

Really tough decision here. Leaning toward the Focus though. WHile the Mazda is a more fun drive, the Ford is fun enough and offers some goodies the Mazda doesn't have.
  • belaircarguybelaircarguy Member Posts: 107
    Thanks for the suggestion about a stick shift. I haven't had a stick for 20 years, but always enjoyed driving one! I will take a look at a SE model with a stick shift, when I begin my search for a new car (and hopefully a Focus) in a couple of months.

Bel Air Car Guy
    edited November 2011
    Well, I tried out the SEL HB and ,If came away with anything it was to wait until next year. No six speed manual, the DSG tranny is scary and a sealed unit. The Focus is built on the Mazda 3 platform and the ride was supple and the fun factor was there.(on back roads in lower gears)
    Also, the engine is not interfaced(has a chain).The fit and finish it was excellent.The interior is so so with alot of plastic. I'd get the leather.The center stack and steering wheel buttons took a little getting use to.
    Well, I hope the Euro Focus 6 spd 180HP comes over that would be a nice ride plus I like those blinking blind spot mirrors.(Car@Driver)
    I tried the SE 5spd and it was a hoot and it had all the options that the SEL had heated seats ,moonroof (which I thought the SE didn't offer) If it was a 6 spd and lumbar we could of talked.The price was 1K less.($23075.00)You get what you pay for and I think because there is little mark up due to bank loans Ford took instead of the gov't bailout.So prices will stay the same. If, you want a Focus that's a drivers car and has some bells and whistles Ford has you by the throat, $24k to 26k that includes a Ti also.
    Consumer reports say the Focus quality is only fair. What do they know? I'd take their word on a toaster,but not on a car.
    Well, we are off to CO for the winter, think snow ,Puffin :shades:
    The tranny is the only thing giving me pause. I can work with it, but the Mazda3 SkyActiv 6-speed is tons smoother. And has a proper slapshifter instead of a toggle button. Though I have to admit that toggle button is REALLY well thought out: when you pull the lever into Sport mode, it's a perfect reach for an arm sitting on the center armrest to toggle shifts. It's just not that involving.

I guess I should try out the SEL HB to get a feel for the non-sport suspension. If I find that good enough I could avoid having to get a black interior. Keyless isn't that important to me, it'd be nice but it's not critical, and anything else I want I can get in the SEL.
    The Focus ST is coming next year with 250 hp ecoboost 2.0L with a 6 speed manual.

It's more accurate to say that both the Mazda3 and Focus share the same jointly developed platform, although I think the latest Focus was developed on the Ford version of that platform alone since the Mazda relationship has gone south.
    Any chance Ford will grace Foci for mere mortals (e.g. the SE) with the 6MT?
    edited November 2011
    Why would you prefer a "warning light" over the U.S.-spec blind spot mirror that gives you the whole & motion picture?

The reason I kept keeping my MkI Focus ST sedan is that its compact body-width actually comes w/ a wider rear-glass visibility than the other Focus'. & "Passing-safety visibility" corresponds to driving fun in cut-&-thrust traffic.

MkII (never available in the U.S.):
    sedan (1, 2, 3, rear)
    hatch (rear)
    wagon

I can't stand the MkIII having the lower corner of the rear glass (the most useful area for passing/lane-change to the right) sliced off: :sick:
    Sedan
    hatch