Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Ford Explorer

Comments

• sddreamssddreams Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2010
    Hi Marielle,

I am interested in the 2011 Limited 4WD. Does this version come standard with a moon roof over the driver/passenger area? My understanding was the Dual Panel Moonroof option was for a moon roof over the rear passenger area section and does not need to be selected to get a moon roof for the driver/passenger area.

Please advise.

Thank you
    Sam
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited December 2010
    All right - we get it. You want a real 4wd with lockers and low range. Well the Explorer doesn't have it so give up - please. You've expressed your opinions in other threads. The new Explorer isn't for you but the rest of us would like to discuss it without your useless ranting.The Explorer isn't designed for your needs and Ford isn't going to bring the old one back.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    edited December 2010
    No, I have NO USE for "lockers" and most certainly NOT low range(***).

I'm simply saying that these new F/awd systems are flawed in that they either become USELESS (TC dethrottling and braking) or even PATENTLY UNSAFE in the very conditions, marginally traction conditions, for which most purchase them.

Loss of traction on the front wheels of a FWD or F/awd vehicle resulting from the use of too much engine drive torque for conditions is a really SERIOUS matter and therefore must be addressed URGENTLY. The new 2011 Ford Explorer addresses that urgency using INSTANT TC activation.

That urgency does not allow for a really useful SUV in certain common wintertime roadbed conditions.

The buying public is being sold a "load of poles" already with ANY F/awd system and even to a greater depth calling a sous ear (the 2011 Explorer)a silk purse (the legacy Explorer).

*** The 4runner "torsen" system or the latest Cayenne using the same elctromechanical clutch system as the 2011 Ford Explorer but for front drive torque apportionment would be my ideal R/awd systems.
  • marielleleighmarielleleigh Member Posts: 11
    @robr2 You can expect them in showrooms at the beginning of January :)
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    I saw 2 2011 Explorers at a dealer here in NC yesterday, from looking at dealer sites online it appears they are starting to arrive in the large/medium sized markets.
    edited December 2010
    Are you certain you weren't seeing either Ford FreeStyles or Taurus X..? From a distance I doubt if anyone could easily tell the difference. IMMHO the 2011 Ford Explorer is simply an inexpensive method of making use of the FreeStyle and/or Taurus X factory tooling and production capacity.

Sure, they added a few technological aspects, but that could have, would have, been done to the Taurus X if it had not failed to be accepted in the marketplace.

Before purchasing a new 2011 Ford Explorer one should think long and hard about the platform's previous failure in the marketplace. Will rebadging the Taurus X as a Ford Explorer make it a success in the marketplace...?

Really....??!!
  • marielleleighmarielleleigh Member Posts: 11
    Hey Sam, thanks for the question!

The Dual-panel moon roof is optional only on the XLT and Limited trim. No moon roof will come standard. Also, the moon roof does not hit the 3rd row--only 1st and second.

Check out this video to see it in action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-ag8CG4pok
    edited December 2010
    Marielle:

At the recent Seattle auto show while I didn't get a very good look at the undercarriage it looked to me as if both the PTO and the rear diff'l/clutch might be water cooled.

It that the case..?

The Ford Escape and Mariner seem to have had an inordinate level of failures of these two drive line components, apparently due to over heating from inadvertent over use, reliance, by drivers. Does the new Explorer have that same temperature sensor setup in the rear diff'l/clutch as the Escape/Mariner to warn the driver that the drive line is overheating...?

The Mazda CX-7 using the same F/awd setup has always used water cooling for the PTO. Seemingly that has solved the overheating issue for the CX-7 F/awd system. The 2011 MDX also has a temperature sensor in the rear "diff'l" I assume for the same reasons as the Escape.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,255
    I probably could figure this out by going on the ford website, but can you get cross bars if you get the sun/moon roof?
    or maybe i should say does the 2011 explorer have roof rails if it has a sun/moon roof?
    with the edge it is either/or.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    The automotive press has fallen in love with the 2011 Explorer.
    Specifically, the Terrain Management System is getting a lot of praise.

USA Today (Dec. 17):
    "All new Explorer makes a statement. Its smooth, comfy, smart and classy"

Wall Street Journal (Dec. 18-19):
    "On the road, the Explorer acquits the product planners with ride and handling that is stable, car-like and serene. The rear independent multilink suspension keeps the big machine planted......and the ride is composed and quiet, even with the 20 inch wheel and tire package on the Limited edition. Wind and road noise are competently smothered. I like it. Actually, I like it a lot better than before........."
  • iwant12iwant12 Member Posts: 269
    Is there an option to delete the 3rd row? And why not? Thank you and Merry Christmas.
    Thanks for the response Marielle. Unfortunately I pre-ordered the explorer last week with the moon roof option after my FOrd salesman told me it was similar to the vista roof in the Flex. It seems that is not true at all from what you are saying. It would be great if I could find a competent salesman just once!
    Your salesman was VERY competent, he told you what you wanted to hear and closed the deal..!
    edited December 2010
    I don't want to speak for anyone else, but if you don't need the 3rd row, there is always the Edge.
    edited December 2010
    I couldn't link to the picture I wanted to, but the Flex has a front moonroof, 2 sky windows for the 2nd row and a big panel for the 3rd row.
    Is this what you wanted?
  • steevosteevo Member Posts: 389
    Checked out a new Explorer. Didnt like the cargo area behind the third row seat. When folded down, the way it would be for me most of the time, it creates a flat load floor right to the tailgate. To open the seat, the entire load floor from the tailgate forward is part of the seat changes to a well. So, you then would put "stuff" in the hole. Now, you have to remove all that stuff to refold the seat.
    Typically, most vehicles would have some bit of fixed load floor between the rearmost seat and the tailgate.
    I guess this is more similar to the way it would be in a minivan??
    it would have been nice if that is what the explorer had as well, but i am ok with the way that it is in the explorer as well. I just was not happy that the salesman told me incorrect information. The moonroof in the explorer is nothing like what is in the flex.
    I guess this is more similar to the way it would be in a minivan??

Very much so. My 2000 Odyssey has a hole like that.

The well behind the third seat then keeps groceries and other cargo from rolling around on the floor of the vehicle.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    It does 2 things - it gives you a totally flat load floor with the seats folded without having to physically remove the seats and it gives you much more cargo capacity with the 3rd row up. That was always a complaint on the previous Explorer and Aviator.

Are you planning to carry something all the time that would be in the way when you fold and unfold the 3rd row? I guess I don't understand the issue or the alternative design.
    Especially with a new design, I try to do my own research.
  • livingingracelivingingrace Member Posts: 1
    When is the new Ford Explorer with the Ecoboost option scheduled to be released. There is conflicting news articles about the estimated fuel economy. I have read that the ecoboost model will be a 30% improvement from the 2010 model and I have also seen articles that say the ecoboost will improve the 2011 model's epa by 30%

If it is a 30% improvement on the 2010 model it will only increase the fuel economy by one mile per gallon on the current 2011 models being released.

If it is 30% improvement of the 2011 model it would put the hwy epa somewhere around 30.

Big difference.
    edited December 2010
    The reality of the matter is that Ecoboost engine sacrifice HP/torque for FE. The only time the engine compression ratio is within "reason" for a DFI engine is under BOOST. And other than the "boy-racer" mentality market that will be pretty rare indeed.

A DFI enegine can have a compression ratio as high as 12:1. The EcoBoost engine, otherwise, previously known, as the TwinForce Gas-Guzling Gas-HOG, must be run in derated/detuned mode, substandard CR, the ~98% of the time you are simply in "cruise" mode.

The 30% number Ford is touting is an apples to oranges comparison. Yes, the EcoBoost I4 engine can match the HP/torque output of the non-DFI V6 while also equaling its FE. But the I4, of the V6 w/DFI, could have even better FE with a standard base compression ratio were it not necessary to provide for BOOST.

Ford = EcoBoost, magicians trick....."look over here, not over there"...STUPID...!!

Sorry, no, they're taking it for granted that the SUV buying public is STUPID.

And you known, looking around at the mostly non-functional F/awd systems they might well be correct.
    speaking of fuel economy, check out this video to find out about it under racing conditions
    Most of us, probably the clear majority of us, will NEVER race ANY EcoBoost/(TwinForce) engine. Sso we will NEVER be able to run the engine in the most optimal mode, HIGH BOOST mode, FE wise, more than maybe 1% of the time.

EcoBoost/(TwinForce), Ford's latest LOOSER...!!

No, sorry, that's just WRONG..! Ford's latest LOOSER would be taking the FreeStyle/Taurus X body/frame/drive train and putting the Explorer label on it.

A FWD Explorer...REALLY...?

Sorta like a Jeep Compass FWD, who cares...?
    edited December 2010
    At first, I was skeptical of the '11 Explorer. but I am not ready to rule it out.
    I love my '02, but we have had good luck with our '04 and '09 Escapes and '07 Fusion AWD.
    The negatives from my POV are it's kind of big and if fuel prices rise, I am not sure I would give up my '02 EB V8 for a few extra mpg.
    I would miss the EB trim, too.
    This is simply an attempt to explain my issue, it is not a big deal.
    All other trucks I have ever owned or seen, including the old Explorer, Pathfinder, Pilot, Expedition, the seats fold flat into the floor without creating a rear well.
    SO. If you need to temporarily use the third row, when you open it in the New Explorer, all your equipment now goes into the "well". Now, you need to fold the seat back down to put more stuff inside, and you have to empty the well before you can fold the seats down.
    If, for example, you need to shove a large cooler into the truck , in the other trucks you could simply fold down one half of the rear seats and shove the cooler in. In the new explorer, you would first have to "empty the well" then reload.
    All other trucks I have ever owned or seen, including the old Explorer, Pathfinder, Pilot, Expedition, the seats fold flat into the floor without creating a rear well.

The well area is where the spare tire is stored in all those vehicles. Honda had the first well in minivans for the magic seat. Since then, it's become the standard in minivans. Honda stores the spare between the first two rows.

I deal with emptying the well when needing to drop the third row. Personally, I prefer the well as it keeps things from moving around the back of the vehicle.
    I guess it all depends on weather you are looking for utility with the added plus of being able to add an extra passenger or two... or.. a 7 passenger people mover with the added plus of being able to get the seats out of the way once in a while for utility.
    The new explorer is now a cool looking mini-van. :D
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I guess it depends on how much crap you plan to haul around in the cargo area behind the seats. If you always have stuff back there then it's a pain, but the tradeoff is more cargo area with the seats up and down.
    I fall into the latter - I need a 7 seater with the ability to haul stuff when needed. Although we only have two kids, I'm a scout leader and haul plenty of boy and girl scouts on trips. The gear can always fit into the roof box.
  • jbelletjbellet Member Posts: 1
    Going to look at a 2011 today, does anyone know the money factor and lease terms? Good Price for a limited?
    There IS NO "good" price for a FWD or F/awd 2011 Ford Explorer. You probably need to switch to the Expedition if you are historically an Explorer owner.
    Take the Ford FreeStyle/Taurus X/2011 Ford Explorer, put in a more historically traditional "Explorer" rear biased AWD system, R/awd system. Use the new drive coupling system for "real-time" torque routing to the FRONT. V6 DFI engine, and shed some of that 2011 Ford Explorer WEIGHT, no transfer case, no low range...see the 2011 Cayenne.

And FINALLY....

Badge it with....

2012 Ford EXPEDITION.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Actually what 90% of people don't need is a 4WD rig for cruising around town. I think Ford has finally hit their target audience. And I bet sales will be very good.

Jbellet, check the Ford Explorer/Mercury Mountaineer Prices Paid and Buying Experience discussion.
    That's sort of like saying commercial jet aircraft have no need for that "military power" engine throttle detent.

Yes, many SUV owners have no need for 4WD 90, maybe even 98% of the time, and somewhere around maybe only .0001% of the time only, ONLY, as a life saving measure.

Pay attention to the sales of tire studs, for instance, useless and even harmful (to the roadbed) alsmost 100% of the time, but a life saving measure 0.00001% of the time.

Why...tire studs are really inexpensive life insurance.
    "..Ford has finally hit their target audience.."

Why so, the previous versions, the Ford FreeStyle and the Taurus X, quite clearly failed in the marketplace, COMPLETELY failed.

Loyalty of historical Ford Explorer owners....look at last years sales for the answer to that.

This new 2011 Ford Explorer is simply, and only, a Ford Edge with enough room for a third seat.
    edited December 2010
    Explorer sales last year were way down, but people's tastes have changed too.

The 2011 has the name to rebuild upon, lots better fuel efficiency and it'll still handle parking in a muddy field if a deluge happens during the soccer game. Standard 3rd road seats means even more appeal to families who don't want a minivan.

For the heavy towing or off-road users, there's the Grand Cherokee. But that'll cost you more. And that "truck" is a unibody as well.

2011 Ford Explorer (sacbee.com)
    I don't know that I have ever voiced an opinion in opposition to unibody construction. If I did I would now consider it to have been a mstake on my part.
    edited December 2010
    Unibody construction on SUVs was a big point of contention a few years ago. Turned out to be much ado about something most people don't care about. Nor do most of them need a body on frame SUV. Wait and see - I bet the new Explorer will do just fine sales-wise.

Meanwhile, maybe some people actually interested in buying one will weigh in here.
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    I'm waiting for a local dealer to get a 4WD Limited in for me to drive, I'm deciding between the new Explorer and the Grand Cherokee. I drove the GC today, my main complaints are the power is just adequate with the V6 and the Check Engine light was on during the test drive, not good for a vehicle with 21 miles on it. Of course the sales guy wrote it off to a loose gas cap, but given Jeep's history it makes me leery.

I'm interested to try the My Ford Touch system, I saw it in an Edge but didn't have much time to try it out.

I don't need serious off roading capabilities or a third row seat, so it's kind of a toss up between the two. It will ultimately come down to a combination of price (I'm leasing) and which one I like best.
    Checking on line, I see that the local dealers now have 2011 Explorers in stock.
    One of them has a Sterling Gray, so I will take a look tomorrow.
    My local dealer's website showed in stock. I found out that means shipped to them so don't be disappointed to find they aren't on the lot.
    Thanks for saving me the trip tomorrow! :)
    edited January 2011
    Based on my experience with FWD based Escapes and a Fusion, the new AWD Explorer is not a big deal.
    Expedition based on the same platform? Bad dream. Makes no sense. Not happening.
  • brwndoggybrwndoggy Member Posts: 41
    In Car and Driver's review this month, they say the explorer gets 2 miiles on average less than the pilot... How is this possible since the explorer if rated 2 miles better than the pilot?

Seems like someone isn't measuring right...

Also, when will crash tests be out on the the new body?
    edited January 2011
    "...2 miles better..."

EPA ratings are like that, only an estimate, not exactly "real worldish".

Crash tests will likely be better for the new unibody than the old frame rail since more of the weight can be put into body structure, as clearly they have done.
    Drove over to the deal er just in case.
    The 2 Explorers listed in their inventory were parked out front.
    1 XLT and 1 Limited.
    They look better in real life than the pictures I have seen.
    Each had a good size touch screen in the dash, although only 1 had NAV listed on the sticker.
    when you quote something, try to back it up.
    C & D's own long term test left you dangling in the wind
  • amonte1amonte1 Member Posts: 1
    Just curious if I can program the Navi system while driving, or if the touch screen is greyed out when moving? I know its not the safest thing to be doing, but just would like to know if its possible. (aside from using the voice commands )
    Also, when will crash tests be out on the the new body?

IIHS are already out - scored Good (the highest they give) in all three tests.