Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Ford Explorer

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The Ranger is reserved for hauling yard waste, trash, gargage and the occassional trip to fetch gas/diesel. Daily driver, work to and fro, is an '01 F/awd RX300. Weekends the '01 Porsche C4 comes out of the garage.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    '01 F/awd RX300. Weekends the '01 Porsche C4 comes out of the garage.

Interesting coming from someone who harps on FE so much. Would you like a 200Hp 2.4 DI 4cyl to replace the flat 6 in your Carrera?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    The 5.0 in the Mustang is not a DI engine. Try to find some complaints about that.
    285 HP from a 3.5 that is tuned for torque sounds good to me.
    How much do you really need?
    I will follow the fuel mileage reports with some interest.
    A few years ago, I had an '07 Edge as a loaner for a few days.
    I drove it harder than normal (not abuse) and averaged 20 mpg.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    No, but what I would really like would be a T-Top Porsche Caymen with the HSD system, maybe using the new Toyoya I4 (187HP) but with DFI and the West/Atkinson/Otto/Miller multi-mode engine.
  • marielleleighmarielleleigh Member Posts: 11
    @blevinsd
    Most Driver shafts are 46" long, max. Adding 6" for the bag and head cover, and another 4" for the club head puts you at 56". The cargo width at floor is 64.9". No issues with width.

You would likely have to stack the bags, 2 on 2, to keep them reaching the wheelhouse. The width at the wheelhouse is only 40.8.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Plus in the Panamera with AWD it gets 18/26mpg. That's a huge improvement over the Taurus SHOs 17/25 with it's brick like drag coefficient and extra 300lbs vs. the Porsche.

HUGE improvement, Gracie? looks like 1 MPG to me, and that's not huge to me, it's insignificant. Of course, I could be wrong....
    if you want to match the 0-60 of the SHO, you need to step up to the Panamera S. 24 mpg highway, v8, 400 hp, 90k base MSRP.
    I'm ok with the '11 Explorer not being as quick.
    The Panamera is an awesome sport sedan that is clearly in a different league of an SHO. I only brought it up in regards to fuel economy.
  • rew1225rew1225 Member Posts: 9
    2ND REQUEST: Does anyone have definitive information when Ford will offer the 2.0 Liter I-4 EcoBoost engine on the new 2011 Explorer?
    Of course i understand that. Base Panamera, still starts out 35k more than SHO, and is slower 0-60, with +1 mpg.
    I thought MPG comparison was, Huh???
    For that much extra money there, is some added value, but not 0-60, or fuel mileage.
    To match the SHO 0-60, spend more money and give up some mileage.
    Panamera and Explorer in a foot of snow? :)
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Ford hasn't announced a defintive date but the rumour mill suggests June/July timframe.
    Thanks for the update. Dealers here in Houston not interested in getting this information...to busy selling the V6's that are sold practically the day they hit the dealers' lot! Thanks again....
    I wouldn't hold my breath were I you.

Even absent the rear drive capability this 2011 Ford Explorer is pretty LARGE and WEIGHTY for a derated/detuned I4 EcoBoost/twinForce Gas-Guzzling engine. Cruise FE, running in derated/detuned mode, is likely to be abysmal if not just plain HORRID.

On the other hand should Ford rethink(***) the design, make it truly and ECO-boost engine, it might still come up short on the HP/torque equation.

*** Maybe use a variable delay technique for intake valve closing, simulate the Atkinson engine mode. 12-15:1 compression ratio during cruise but 9-10:1 to accommodate BOOST at WOT.

Even at WOT and full BOOST the HP/torque numbers look too low for a beasty of this size and weight.
    Quite honestly, I am not really sure where you are coming from on some of your thoughts. Printed data shows an engine with 237 HP at 5500 RPM & 250 lb.-ft of torque in a range from 1700 to 4000 rpm. Gas mileage est. hwy of 27 to 28...city at 22 mpg. The ft. of torque of the V6 is rated at 255. I'm willing to wait it out for this engine introduction and then make my decision. Thanks for your input....
    Ford's published estimate for the 2.0L I4 turbo is 18 city, 26-27 hwy.

The Hyundai Sonata's N/A 2.4L I4 DFI 198HP engine with 11.3 CR gets 35 hwy.

That would mean, to me, that Ford's 2.0L I4 DFI were it N/A and with 11.3 CR should get hwy FE in the same range or even better.

2.0L vs 2.4L should improve FE by 15-20%...?

Then add the extra weight of the new EXplorer back in?

Back to 35MPG hwy.

How much HP does it take to move the new Explorer along briskly on level terrain at 70MPH...?

But the real bottom line is that while a N/A 2.0L DFI engine would provide absolutely STELLAR FE, it would not meet the acceleration criteria of the typical US buyer.

So why not have "both"..??

A 2.4L DFI I4 that runs in Otto N/A mode(***1) for low engine loads/loading, transitions into /Atkinson cycle mode(***2) for moderate engine loads/loading, and then transitions into Miller cycle mode(***3) for heavier (WOT) engine loads/loading, hard acceleration, say.

***1 Native/base compression ratio of ~15:1.

***2 Delayed intake valve closing, effective CR of 12:1.

*** 3 Wastegate closes and additional intake valve closing delay reduces effective non-boost CR to 10:1 to provide for intercooled BOOST
    Thanks for the reply. Acceleration criteria for the average buyer a good point; however, with the 250 lb.-ft of torque Ford is quoting supposedly will make it feel like a V6 when accelerating. Not sure why you chose the Sonata sedan comparison engine statistical numbers to the heavier Explorer SUV numbers. I will say you lost me on the "Otto/Atkinson/Miller" paragraph.
    edited February 2011
    "..Not sure.."

Wanted to compare a non-turbo DFI engine with Ford's turboed DFI. Not a lot of choices.

Otto cycle: With a low cylinder A/F charge fill, the higher the CR is, within reason, the better.

Atkinson cycle: Once the cylinder A/F charge level begins reaching the point wherein detonation, dieseling, is a threat then CR MUST be "effectively" reduced. Delaying the intake valve closing via e/VVT-i, thereby forcing a portion of the charge back into the intake manifold, will not only accomplish that but will also retain a fairly high engine efficiency.

Miller cycle: In order to accommodate intercooled BOOST the CR must now be reduced to something in the range of 10:1. Effective CR under boost will still be, can be, as high as 12:1.

The current RX450h V6 engine and I suppose the HH engine, uses e/VVT-i (Extended Variable Valve Timing w/Intelligence) for transitioning between modes. e/VVT-i is used to vary the intake valve closing timing delay to transition the engine from Otto cycle mode, 13:1 native/base compression ratio, into Atkinson cycle mode, 10:1 effective compression ratio, as the cylinder charge level rises.

The "problem" with an Atkinson cycle engine is that in return for the HIGH engine efficiency you loose PERFORMANCE/POWER. A 3.0L engine is effectively reduced to a ~2.4L engine. But you can return the POWER level to that of the 3.0L by simply transitioning the engine into Miller cycle mode, COMPRESS and COOL the charge that enters the combustion chamber.
    "..supposedly will make it feel like a V6.."

Yes, granted, but...

In order to use intercooled boost to raise the "effective" compression ratio you MUST start with a LOW base/native compression ratio during OFF-BOOST operation. In Ford's case this is ~10:1, absolutely SUB-STANDARD for a DFI engine that can easily have a 12:1 CR.

The majority of highway operational time for this engine will be in detuned/derated mode. POOR FE relative to a non-turbo DFI engine.

I think I'd wait for a DFI V6 (puzzle as to why this isn't already available) and the F/awd system that I can easily convert to RWD with "part-time" 4WD capability
    The Panamera is an awesome sport sedan that is clearly in a different league of an SHO.

Yeah, not too many cross -shopping the Sho with the Panamera. I don't get the Panamera anyway. Kind of like a 4 seat Corvette, if you know what I mean? I think it dilutes the Porsche mystique. Of course, if it makes money, Ferdinand did the right thing, I suppose.
    Thanksfor taking the time to really give me a good education on engines, particularly as it relates to what F is doing (or not considering) to the announced I-4 2.0L turbocharged scheduled for introduction on the new 2011 Ford Explorer. I will continue waiting this out before making any decision. Again, your comments and insights are really helpful & I do appreciate it. RW
  • fawltytowers44fawltytowers44 Member Posts: 58
    Hello rew1225. You may want to get additional information on the subject of engines as the views expressed by wwest are not consistent with the experience and knowlege of others who do have direct industry experience in this field. Best of luck too you.
    THanks for you comments. Please direct me to a site where I can see other comments as it relates to F's alternative eingine (2.0L I-4 EcoBoost)for the new 2011 Explorer. Again, appreciate your input on this subject...rw1225
    Real truck guys don't drive Ridgelines..... Sorry, they just don't. :shades:
    Ridgelines...??? Any more interesting input on the 2011 Exploer?
    I'd be tempted, REALLY tempted, if it were R/awd or even just RWD alone. Maybe, in a pinch, even if it were SH-AWD
  • kay4147kay4147 Member Posts: 3
    What is the delay with the preordered 4WD 2011 Ford Explorers? We have been told for weeks that our preordered 2011 Ford Explorer is on a quality hold. Whats the problem that these vehicles are not being released for delivery?
    I stopped by a local dealer today, and they have half a dozen or so on the the lot. Maybe the hold is something to do with a feature specific to your order?
    Were they FWD or the 4WD on the lot? I have check with several dealerships and they all have FWD on there lots.
    edited February 2011
    No chance there is anything but AWD models here in CT.
    Check ZIP 06033.
    Thanks for the info. I guess they are just taking longer to get them to California. Our dealer has preorders from Oct. 2010 that have not received theirs. 2WD have arrived but not 4WD.
  • marielleleighmarielleleigh Member Posts: 11
    Hey everyone! Head over to the Ford Explorer Facebook page and check out the Go Do Adventure contest!!

http://www.facebook.com/FordExplorer

It would be great to hear all of your submissions :)
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    Nice lines,and lets face it most AWD are found at the grocery store. I know becaue alot of women feel safe up high. I live in snow country it's minus 15 now and we have had 102 inches on the mtn.
    Also, you have to know how to drive a four wheeler and alot of the flatlanders haven't a clue.
    I drive a Toyota with a sign in the window saying 12 mpg.Yep, going to look @ a Ford.
  • cliffhanger311cliffhanger311 Member Posts: 1
    Looking seriously at an '11 Explorer, but I see the OEM tires are made by Hankook. I have never heard of this manufacturer, nor do I have any comfort on the wearability of these tires.
    Two questions:
    Does anyone have any reliability info on the tires?
    Could I get the dealer to exchange the Hankook for another better known brand?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2011
    They'be been around a while. TireRack sells them as does DiscountTire. They also make OEM tires for Toyota and Hyundai, besides Ford. Company in based in Korea, and makes tire there and in China and Hungary. Wikipedia says they are the 7th largest tire company in the world.

You can check the reviews at TireRack but remember that OEM tires in general don't have a good reputation for tread life.

And yeah, the dealer may be willing to swap 'em out. Or a local tire store may give you a good trade-in price for them on a different set before you start putting miles on them.
    edited February 2011
    I noticed that too.
    Try Tire Rack to try to find out some info about them.
    Any tire exchange can be negotiated during the purchase process.
    Ford is putting a lot of their reputation on the line with the new Explorer, so I don't think they are going to cheap out on the tires.
    It's not like the old days.
    'edit' I just saw Steve's post.
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    edited February 2011
    I couldn't be happier with the Hankook H724 Optimos we put on the Durango last fall. 6000 miles in and they ride smooth as glass, they're quiet, they seem to be wearing evenly even with no alignment check. $396 out the door in 235/75/15!

Which Hankooks come on this truck? H724, H725, H727, or something else?
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Ford has been using Hankook tires for several years. I don't think they're great tires but they're not bad either.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Ford has been using Hankook on some models for a while. My SIL has an 08 Edge with them. OEM tires are a compromise - designed to meet OEM specifications and be purchased at a reasonable cost.

The XLT I test drove on Saturday had Michelins - personally I've never had a good experience with Michelin tires and would prefer getting the Hankook.
    edited February 2011
    My 07 Expedition came with Continental ConTrac TR as OEM. Actually I liked them. They had good wet/snow traction and when I replaced them at 70k miles they still had tread above the wear bars. The main complaint with them would be they always squealed when turning at parking lot speeds.

I replaced them with Michelin LTX M/S2. Which are suppose to be a great tire. I'm not happy with their winter performance, but they are great in the dry/rain. They definitely ride harder than the OEM tires, but I've gotten use to it.

Once the Michelins are worn out, it will be time for a new vehicle, if the Expe will last even that long.
  • swhildinswhildin Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I have a 2010 Edge but when my dealer called and told me the new 2011 Explorer was in I went for a test drive and loved it so I ordered one! It finally went into production 2 weeks ago - how long will it take to be delivered? I can't wait to get my new SUV!
    You imply that you know how to drive a four wheeler yet you're going to look at the new F/awd Ford Explorer...?

You must be one of those flatlanders that don't need a true "AWD" system or else you're willing to disregard the poor safety record of F/awd vehicles on adverse condition roadbeds.
  • fawltytowers44fawltytowers44 Member Posts: 58
    This poster has never provided evidence for these claims, which for many months he has repeatedly placed on several sites in the car blog universe. Like all such claims, these would best be ignored for what they are.
    edited February 2011
    Rather than make "blanket" statements like those above, post # 101, why not make counter-claims refuting my position and maybe showing you have the knowledge and experience indicating you have good foundation for your adversarial statements.
  • blevinsdblevinsd Member Posts: 4
    I tried my clubs yesterday, 2/25/11, in a dealer's 2011 Explorer: they JUST fit (i.e. if the driver cover was 1/4" thicker they wouldn't have) at the very rear.
    What did you so much better than the '10 Edge?
  • buckle1buckle1 Member Posts: 5
    I have been trying to find a 2011 XLT or Limited Explorer and they are NO where to be found here in Atlanta. It seems that Ford is WAY behind on production. This is likely to force me to buy an other product...Can't believe we are in March and there is NO inventory????
    I'd like to think that maybe Ford came to their senses regarding building a FWD Ford Explorer, halted production until the factory can be retooled to build an Explorer sized Expedition.

Or maybe a clone of the Porsche Cayenne or the VW equivalent.

Were I in charge at Ford I would "license" the Cayenne design in totality, including the Cayenne hybrid w/DFI but without the forced induction.

Fuel will undoubtedly hit $4.00 this week.
    edited March 2011
    But on the other hand I can't imagine that a FWD "womanized" Ford Explorer would expect to find a very big market in areas such as Atlanta. So maybe they're just not shipping them there...?

Ford Explorer, FWD gas-guzzling GAS-HOG...!

Wrong time and place.
    edited March 2011
    Wrong time and place.

Ford Explorer, FWD gas-guzzling GAS-HOG...!

Here we go again.

I've seen several new Explorers on the road here. I was getting my Expedition serviced at my local Ford dealer a few weeks ago and they had 3 on the lot parked next to service with a sold tag on them.

As for being a gas hog, I guess your right it if you compare it to something like a CRV. But it's fuel economy is pretty good compared to other SUVs that offer similar size and room.

I hope you're over at the Dodge Durago spewing your BS about FE too. It and the Grand Cherokee are worse. Toyota Highlander? Very nice vehicle that sells well and gets about the same economy 1 mpg less highway than the Explorer. Honda Pilot? 1mpg less city/hwy.