Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Ford Explorer

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    edited April 2011
    The addition of rear drive capability to a base FWD vehicle is ALWAYS a wise move, can be helpful even in a light rain, life-saving even. More especially so with engines over 200HP.
  • blevinsdblevinsd Member Posts: 4
    Ford is not building black SUVs or trucks -- can't get pigment from Japan !
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,298
    There are some available that have not been sold yet.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Yeah, maybe they aren't doing that color anymore, but there are Tuxedo Black Explorers out there, including the one we have in our garage.

-Brian
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Go to the dealer you prefer and negotiate the deal based on them finding the one you want. You will probably have to pay $3-400 for them to do the exchange (transport costs). You could also just order one and wait for it.

The Tuxedo Black is hard to find because as already noted, something in that paint color comes from Japan and they can't get it.

Good luck.
  • cfalgout2000cfalgout2000 Member Posts: 2
    I notice that when I accelerate in my 2011 Ford explorer, that I can feel the vibration in the accelerator and in my steering wheel. Is this normal?

The closest vehicle that I can compare this to is my 2007 Toyota RAV4. I don't seem to have this issue.

Maybe because of the bigger vehicle and engine, as compared to the explorer, maybe this is normal.

Thanks
    edited April 2011
    I can't say about the vibration in the accelerator but the stearing wheel vibration is likely due to the fact that when you are accelerating from a low speed the rear drive is TIGHTLY coupled in. Then, with even the slightest disparaty in rear wheel circumference vs the front wheels (unequal tire pressure?), or even a slight off-center turn of the steering wheel, you might encounter/feel a bit of driveline windup and/or tire scrubbing/hopping.

SOP for 4WD engagement on tractive, non-slippery, surfaces.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I can't say about the vibration in the accelerator but the stearing wheel vibration is likely due to the fact that when you are accelerating from a low speed the rear drive is TIGHTLY coupled in.

I'd say it's just the nature of the 3.5 v6. My wife has an '11 Taurus with the 3.5 and I've noticed a bid of vibration on acceleration through the pedal. My 07 Expedition does the same thing. Fords just tend to have a bit of a graininess in their powertrains.

In both the Expedition and Taurus, I notice the slight vibration in the 2,500 rpm range while accelerating only. The Taurus is just FWD, but the Expe does it regardless of being in 2wd, 4wd, or auto mode.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    The addition of rear drive capability to a base FWD vehicle is ALWAYS a wise move, can be helpful even in a light rain, life-saving even. More especially so with engines over 200HP.

Absolutely right, really helps ameliorate the torque steer in the more powerful models. Just rented a Flex in Florida a couple of weeks ago. FWD. Was fine until I put it all the way down to merge, and the front end got totally squirly. If it were AWD, that would have hardly been noticed at all.
    Not just to overcome torque stear(***) but much more importantly to prevent ALL of that engine torque under acceleration from being applied to a single set of tires, tires that you also rely upon for directional control.

***More and more these days it seems EPS, Electric Power Stearing, is being used, biased against, torque stear.
    AWD....would have hardly been noticed at all.

And with RWD or R/awd NONE at all.
    Given that these cars are all DBW, no mechanical connection to the engine, my guess would be that the vibration is being felt via the heel of your foot on the floorboard.
    Given that these cars are all DBW, no mechanical connection to the engine, my guess would be that the vibration is being felt via the heel of your foot on the floorboard.

I was driving my wife's Taurus today and it's noticeable at approximately 2,500rpm while accelerating. I notice it most through my right foot that is on the gas pedal. I'm sure it can be felt through the floorboard too, but I must say it's a very slight vibration. The engine just feels slightly coarse while under a decent load (1/4 throttle or so), once it revs past 2,800rpm or so it goes away and it not noticeable once at cruise speed. I don't know what gear ratio the Explorer uses, but the Taurus at 2k rpm in 6th gear is going 80 mph.
    Toyota might have better damping mounts. In a RAV4 , if you replace all 3, the parts are up to about $400.
    Like WW recommends, I would make sure the tire pressures are in the correct range and balanced.
    Fords have really tight drivetrains and it can take a long time for it to break in.
    Do a web search for any similar issues with other new gen Explorers.
    Fords have really tight drivetrains and it can take a long time for it to break in.

My wife has only had the Taurus 3 weeks, so she's put about 1600 miles on it so far. Maybe it will smooth up a bit as a few more miles are put on it.

My brother has a '10 Fusion Sport with the same 3.5 v6 and it seems smoother to me. Though it doesn't have a different platform.
    When I say a long time, I mean about 10k miles.
    When I say a long time, I mean about 10k miles.

Well that will probably take about 3 months.
    That takes me a bit less than year now. I divide up my mileage between several different vehicles. My kids are away at school, so I put some mileage on what they drive while they are away.
    I've seen a couple of those on the road and black is a great color.
    Indeed. Now if it'd only stop raining so I can get some wax/polish on it. I am eager to try out the new ArmorAll Ultra Shine stuff.

-Brian
  • blevinsdblevinsd Member Posts: 4
    98% of the autos around here are beige, dark, or white. Gotta have a RED to find yours in a parking lot !!
    I have used quite a few quick detailer products. I used some Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer on my Alloy colored Fusion.
    I doesn't seem to attract dust like most of the others.
    I'd have a hard time driving a red vehicle.
    I have about a hood's worth left of the Meguiar's QD and have been happy with that on my other vehicles. Just was curious of the new product from ArmorAll, and saw the ad while here on the forums. So now I have the new wax, polish, and detailer.

-Brian
    The bourdeax (sp) red on the Explorer is quite sharp too.

-Brian
    I had a deal all set on an XLT in that Bordeaux color.
    My wife wanted to drive it, and it was a few days before we could work it out.
    By then, it was gone.
    In a year or so you might very well consider that as a lucky break.
  • citivascitivas Member Posts: 144
    re: the moonroof, I confirmed this on my test drive. It barely opens at all. The dealer said its like that on all of them and it sounded like I wasn't the first to notice it even at that location.
  • citivascitivas Member Posts: 144
    I confirmed this on my test drive too. It definitely sounds tinny and hollow just above the windshield and makes a ton of noise if you get hit with hard rain. It seems like there is a pretty big gap between the metal and the interior finish their and they didn't bother to put anything to ampen the sound.
    why do you say that?
    Because he spends his time in here bashing the Explorer for the most part.
    In my opinion the Explorer will soon get a few significant upgrades, DFI V6 for instance.
    Please..

Bashing ONLY the new Explorer, made-over, re-labelled, FWD Taurus X.
  • 94_06stanggt94_06stanggt Member Posts: 1
    Ordered a '11 Explorer XLT 202A, nav, tow, pwr liftgate on 1/31/11, still not here, would love to know what the delay is. Dealer says the Nav is the cause, but 12 weeks? Really?
  • swhildinswhildin Member Posts: 6
    my 2011 explorer xlt is finally here - I pick it up tomorrow - so excited! I have waited 4 months! :)
    I'm betting that Ford was forced to make some change that had the potential for an adverse effect on FE. Until the vehicle is re-certified in the new confiruation by the EPA all vehicles must pass the test individually.

It certainly appears that something is wrong that Ford doesn't want to admit publically.

Just guessing.
    At least around here (SE WI) the Explorer was next to nill to find. Then the very beginning of April the dealers started having inventory. We found our XLT (including NAV) then and it has a March build date.

Not sure why there's delays with orders. I know I wouldn't be able to stand the wait!

-Brian
    I'm betting that Ford was forced to make some change that had the potential for an adverse effect on FE.

Is this fact or just a WAG on your part??

Perhaps Ford has decided to not flood the market with the Explorer which would result in the need for heavy incentives. Low availability is profitable for both the dealer and manufacturer.
    Flood the market..??!!

Wouldn't that be like....90 days of inventory on each dealer's sales lot...??
    When I finally went to pick up my 2011 Explorer (after waiting for 3 months) I asked if the 3 other 2011 explorers that were on the lot were sold - they said they were ordered for people - but they got tired of waiting and bought something else - so they were available! 2 black and 1 white. Gentilini Ford in Woodbine, NJ. :)
  • new_fordnew_ford Member Posts: 2
    Did you get any deal from Gentilini Ford as they are not easy to deal with??
    I'm betting that Ford was forced to make some change that had the potential for an adverse effect on FE.

Is this fact or just a WAG on your part??

Again - answer the question or is deflecting easier??

Flood the market..??!! Wouldn't that be like....90 days of inventory on each dealer's sales lot...??

Actually more than 60 days is flooding the market.
    I think so especially since I turned in a lease I have only had for 16 months (a Ford Edge). And I can't tell you how much i love the explorer - It would be have worth it to spend a little extra to have it!
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    My brother has a '10 Fusion Sport with the same 3.5 v6

Do they come with the 3.5L now? Didn't know that, thought they were still putting the 3.0L in the Fusion..... That would be one peppy car!
    Do they come with the 3.5L now? Didn't know that, thought they were still putting the 3.0L in the Fusion..... That would be one peppy car!

Starting in '10 Ford offered a Fusion Sport that has the 3.5 standard and is the only way to get the 3.5 in a Fusion. It definitely is peppy.
    Not only that, the 3.0 got a new top end in '09.
    Now rated @ 240 hp.
    Our '09 Escape with that engine and 6 speed trans gets about 22 mpg vs our '04 3.0 (200 hp) with 4 speed, which averages about 19 mpg.
  • 2manylabs2manylabs Member Posts: 1
    After being assured by our Ford dealer that the wait for a factory ordered 2011 Explorer would be no longer than 6-8 weeks, I ordered our first American car at the end of Jan. After 3 months I've heard only that the car was "born" on 3/24 and is sitting in a lot in Illinois awaiting transport. Unfortunately our dealer doesn't seem very motivated to find out when this car is being delivered, and I get the same answer when I call for my weekly update. What is going on???? I've been told to rest assured that I'm not the only one waiting... instead I'm wondering if maybe I should have bought another Honda Pilot. What is the delivery delay?
    That is the question everyone wants to know the answer to.
    Not really sure what the delay is - i know they can't get the black paint from japan. but I do know for a fact they are worth the wait - got mine after a 3 1/2 month wait and i love it!
    edited April 2011
    I just went through my usual dealer stock check and there is some new inventory available. There is a Bronze color I have not seen before.