Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Ford Explorer

Comments

• new_fordnew_ford Member Posts: 2
    What are the customers going to do if they need body work and how do you match a paint job that has paint that is not made anymore??

Repaint the complete vehicle???

This might turn ugly.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "The shortage of freight cars has added anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to the time it takes for new cars to reach dealers, forcing auto makers to park finished vehicles near plants around the country."

Rail Woes Hit Auto Deliveries (MarketWatch)

Anyone heard any better theories?
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Outstanding! Now, is that 3.0 a version of the older Duratec, just improved? Not that I have a problem with that, just wondering. It was a great engine.
    I bet Sherwin Williams will make an aftermarket paint that will match perfectly. They do for about every color made right now.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    The the updated 3.0 is still the same duratech. It's just been massaged to put out more power. I think most of the improvements are in the valvetrain.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    What are the customers going to do if they need body work and how do you match a paint job that has paint that is not made anymore??

The paint is currently unavailable because of an ingredient made in Japan. Don't forget, Ford doesn't make the paint - it buys it. So whoever is supplying the paint - PPG, Dupont, BASF, et al - will find another source for the ingredient.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    edited May 2011
    OK, but who wants their car repainted with a brush or a roller? ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • bob431bob431 Member Posts: 1
    Since when did FORD start building cars in JAPAN? I am confused I want to buy AMERICAN, not Japanese, why can't FORD get paint in America?

Bob
    edited May 2011
    Bob - one key ingredient in the Tuxedo Black paint in made in Japan:

"A Japanese supplier provided a patented substance called Xirallic, used to give the red and black paints a slight metallic glitter. Ford is working with its paint supplier to find another substance that can be mixed in, instead, spokesman Todd Nissen, said." money.cnn.com

It also affected Chrysler, Honda, Toyota and Honda. On a positive note, that plant which is 35 miles from the crippled nuclear plant, reopened yesterday.

It's a global economy Bob. In fact, the company that makes Xirallic is Merck - a German company. Further, Ford makes cars all over the world and at one time made Model T's in Japan.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    I had dropped off my Fusion for a squawk noise(which did not happen once in the two days I let them have it), and just wanted to see the new Exploder. They had one on the lot, sold about 4 the week prior to the day I was there. Its nice, not as nice as the Flex, but the Flex can't do what the Exploder can. What shocked me though, the price, $47K! $47,000 for one! Holy cow. I can buy a Superduty diesel for that price. It is a totally new vehicle, inside and out, and it should do well, if it can rock climb like the older ones, it will do even better, but since it's on a Uni and not a frame, that might not be possible.

I'm curious though, why doesn't Ford advertise the Flex like it does the Explorer and other cars? It's a unique vehicle in their lineup, right between the Taurus and Explorer, and a very well made car.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I think you might mean the Flex can't do what the legacy Exploder was able to do. The new Exploder is nothing more or less than a re-clothed re-badged Freestyle or Taurus X.

The Freestye and Taurus X both failed abysmally in the marketplace so Ford is well aware that to sell a FWD Exploder will be costly.
    build up a bit.
    With the number of loaded models on the ground, I think some incentives will introduced.
  • steve366steve366 Member Posts: 2
    I ordered my white 4wd limited on Feb 17th, so just over 3 months ago. The dealer told me yday that it was finally in production but didn't have a delivery date yet. He said that ford will probably stop selling the vehicle soon and take 2 month break from sales in order to catch up on production, then relaunch it as a 2012 vehicle in August.

Although I did read in a Ford press release that Red and Black were the ones with a paint issue from Japan. A local dealer told me it was white and red.
  • houstongeekhoustongeek Member Posts: 4
    Our ordered Limited 4wd in Bordeaux Red started assembly on 3/24 and arrived in Houston on 5/10.
    Picked up my XLT, same color last Saturday. It has a May '11 build date.
  • caser82caser82 Member Posts: 1
    I have manually folded down the third row seat into "tailgate" mode in my 2011 Ford Explorer, and now I can't figure out how to get it back to normal position. There is nothing in the manual about this, but the car dealer showed it to me. I just don't remember how to get it back to normal. Please help!
    edited June 2011
    Look for the plastic cutouts. Reach in with your fingers and close your hand.
    Listen for the click to indicate it's released. Pull the strap up to raise the seat.
    Page 177.
    Hope this helps.
    If the 3rd row could slide back 3 or 4 inches, it would be a good feature.
    Sometimes it's worth it to sacrifice the space the behind the 3 row to make the passengers more comfortable.
  • safety9285safety9285 Member Posts: 88
    I am starting to get serious about buying one of these and will trade in a 2007 Acadia. I was initially spooked by the touch screen to handle average things like heat and A/C. I am a button and switch person but I am computer literate. I think I can accept the touch screen if everything lives up to the hype.
    So, here are the questions:
    1. Do you like the ride?
    2. Is it quiet?
    3. I have the high level Acadia, leather trim and the bells and whistles. How would the Limited compare in creature comforts?
    4. I wanted AWD and the Explorer is shown as 4WD with the Dial Up on the console. How would that compare?
    5. I do a lot of long distance driving and the seats are important. Love the Acadia. Feels like I am driving down the road in a recliner. Anyone have any long distance drives under there belt?
    6. I have been following the forums and other consumer reivews and have not seen a lot of negatives. Any smoking guns out there that I am unaware of at this time?
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    It is AWD and uses the same basic hardware as the Fusion, Flex and Taurus. It just has more sophisticated software controls for special circumstances like snow, mud and sand. Ford chose to call it 4WD because it sounds more macho and better fits the rugged image they're shooting for.
    edited June 2011
    "..has more sophisticated software controls.."

Yes, since it is now FWD or F/awd the TC, Traction Control, software has now been made HYPER-VIGILANT so as to quickly dethrottle the engine and apply front braking INSTANTLY once front wheelspin/slip is detected.

Expect a revision that includes a TC off function shortly, if not already. That what's users of these types of F/awd systems request/require once they discover how crippled TC makes these vehicles.
    Not true. That's part of what the different terrain settings change. E.g. it allows more wheelspin for sand. It also changes the throttle response.
  • tgoodelltgoodell Member Posts: 19
    I just bought my 2011 XLT 4WD a few days ago. This is my first crossover and I really love it.

To answer most of your questions with a "single, broad stroke", I cannot imaging someone not liking the way this vehicle drives, or how and comfortable and quiet it is. Power is very good--especially once the adaptive transmission "learns" how you like to drive, and responds accordingly. I think this is head and shoulders above the GM products--and one can actually take it off-road if desired.

The MyTouch/MySync system is a departure from good, ol' buttons and switches and takes a couple of days to get used to. Once you've played around with it (and pls don't do this while driving--haha), it is very intuitive to use.

Do yourself a favor and rent one from Enterprise for a few days. Won't cost you that much, and would serve as a small "insurance policy" to ensure you're buying something you like.

Hope that helps,
    Tim
  • fawltytowers44fawltytowers44 Member Posts: 58
    Hi Safety9285

Renting a car before buying is a good way to determine if it will be a good fit for you. You have the advantage of having it for an extended period and it already has mileage on it so you can see how it feels and sounds after it is thoroughly broken in.

I rented an Explorer from Enterprise for a few days just as they came out and was impressed with it. The ride was excellent, noise level was good, seating was very good (and I have a bad back) the touch screen is a dream once you acclimate to it - no pun intended. I also like the Acadia/Enclave a lot, but adaptive cruise and accident mitigation systems are not available on them. I did not buy the Explorer because it was a little too big for my needs and traffic conditions where I live, although I will take a last look at it before I order an MDX..
    Have had my XLT with 202 package for about 5 weeks and will echo the other owners impressions.
    Not sure what is standard on a Limited, but I would get the power folding 3rd row seats if I had to do it again.
    YOU "know" you're driving on sand but the Exploder does not, so TC (safety measure) activates INSTANTLY with even a minor level of front wheelspin.
    You "know" the Explorer has a terrain selector on it??
    ...yeah...not so much when you have engaged "sand" on the mode selection--which is really the purpose behind it. Its designed to allow more wheel spin and defeats some of the other safety systems which normally (on dry roads) activate to help keep the vehicle under control.

Tim
    edited July 2011
    Yes, but the Ford design engineering team would have been being idioctic to believe you would never LIE to your car, intentionally or otherwise.

That's what TC "off" functionality is for, to help you get unstuck while at the same time relieving Ford of most liability, YOU disabled the safety features.

Besides which just what idiot would want to incur FWD biased wheelspin/slip, at any level, on a sandy surface, good way to get really stuck, BURIED, that.
    "...defeats some of the other wafety systems.."

Not on your life, Ford does not need to incur that level of liability.

Sand mode....lower DBW gain to prevent easy engine over-speed and hold lower gears longer, yes, but disable TC or VSC absent driver intervention, TC off, NEVER.
    Do you have some kind of point you are trying to make?
    Do a search and you will see your fears are unfounded.
    Don't bother. Wwest has been spewing this misinformation on multiple forums for years.
    in one day.
    410 miles, DTE 44 miles, 24.6 mpg!
  • flandrewflandrew Member Posts: 6
    Hi all,

I just took delivery of my new 2011 XLT. I noticed two large pieces of duct tape on the back under side of the car, near each of the mufflers. The sales guy said they're heat shields. Does anyone else have this, and does it sound right? Seems odd that a new car needs "heat shields" to protect it from factory installed mufflers.

Also, for you x-plan experts: I purchased using x-plan, but was never asked to sign the x-plan form, verifying that I saw the invoice, etc. I believe the price is what it should have been, and there were no added fees, but does anyone think that means I missed something?

Finally: does anyone else think the auto headlights need too much darkness to turn on? Do any of you know of a fix, aside from some sort of darkened cloth over the sensor?

Thanks.
    I don't think I've ever had to sign the actual X plan buyer's form. If you think you got the right price and there were no added fees then I wouldn't worry about it. They get an extra spiff check for a few hundred dollars on a plan sale so they wouldn't forego that extra check by not turning in the X plan paperwork.
    You could review the x-plan rules. When we bought using x-plan in '09, there was a max doc fee that could be charged.
    My 2011, built in May does not have any duct tape near the mufflers.
    Maybe it's missing! ;)
    I do notice that the lights do not turn on as early as the Fusion I had before the Explorer when I pull into the garage, but I can't say if it is a big deal or not.
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    If I were Ford, I'm sure I would have caved to customer complaints of the auto headlights being too eager to light, allowing the lights to come on too easily under highway overpasses. That might explain the reduced sensitivity.
    Finally got close to a 2011 Friday at the auction. Really nice, especially for an XLT. Interestingly, the floor on the car was $34,000, and nobody bought at that price, including me. But I was very impressed with the car. Need to drive one.
    Wwest-

I can't quite decide whether you have a beef with Ford itself, with its latest incarnation of the Explorer as a crossover (or maybe the fact its no longer a truck chassis, traditional RWD-based 4WD system).....or maybe its just everything in general. My sense is the latter.

For years on this forum your tone has been one of negativity, "one-upsmanship" and much of the time....misinformation. Your never-ending conjecture and claims of "big business conspiracy against the consumer" have become so tiresome and really do detract from the spirit and purpose of this community--or at least my understanding thereof.

I'm not going to follow in the footsteps of others by asking "why" because it obviously doesn't matter, but maybe it's time for you to take your tired, old rhetoric and leave things be here. Go volunteer at a homeless shelter or soup kitchen, read to the elderly, help out at a local animal shelter....just do something constructive with your time.

Thank you.
    Tim
  • bendicottbendicott Member Posts: 1
    I ordered my Explorer back in May, and we still have no VIN number or idea that it's even been in production. Our sales rep told us there was a huge hail storm in Chicago in June which damaged a large inventory that had to be put back on the production line. My husband and I are losing patience as we've been promised the VIN number for three weeks to no avail. How long is too long to wait on our car? Does this sound like a production issue or an issue with my rep? We're honestly looking at purchasing a Highlander if we don't hear back in the next week or two.
    Yeah, you're right. It's just that after years of having to see it element over and over again, it does tend to get one one's nerves--and it's without any point either. It's a shame. I kinda' thought that's what moderators were for, but then again--maybe this is a very tolerant forum.
  • steve366steve366 Member Posts: 2
    I waited 12 weeks. Ordered in February, delivered in May. Lots of different excuses for the delay from the dealer. I think the dealers probably don't know or don't want to explain the real reason. But, was well worth the wait love the car and get way more compliments then any other car I have owned. Just now waiting to upgrade my phone to something that can handle all the car features.
  • kw55304kw55304 Member Posts: 1
    A small but irritating design flaw is preventing me from buying another Explorer. Why can't the engineers at Ford figure out that the gas fill should be on the driver's side. More convenient for the driver, plus, in the US, the natural tendency is to pull into the gas pumps on the right side. Maybe they want my wife to jump out and fill the tank for me. :confuse:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I have two cars and one gas fill is on the driver's side and one is on the passenger side. The driver's side is a lot easier to deal with.

There's usually a little triangle or something near the gas gauge indicating what side of the car the gas fill is on. I have to look at mine every time.

btw, the easy car is a Ford built Nissan.
    I prefer the filler on the passenger side. That way when I pull in to fill up, I don't have to deal with the concrete hoop blocking the door.

I believe it has something to do with which side the exhaust goes on. Typically, the filler will be on the opposite side of the vehicle from the exhaust. IIRC, that's done for safety - keeps spilled gas off the hot exhaust.
  • jhgivjhgiv Member Posts: 1
    I will be traveling soon and am trying to figure out what type of rooftop carrier I need. In my searches online I have come across products that don't show cross bars and others that are mounted on cross bars.
    Is it recommended to have cross bars if I am putting luggage on the roof? I am mostly concerned about damaging the roof if I do not use cross bars.
    Is there a recommended weight limit on the roof without cross bars? I stumbled across a max limit of 165 pounds with the cross bars, I would assume the max weight limit (if any suggested) would be less than that without cross bars.
    Any suggestions/advice? (I do not have the sun/moon roof)

Also, hard carrier vs. soft? I would only be using it once or twice a year, max.
    edited August 2011
    I have a 2011 Explorer and bought the Ford cross bars.
    My Thule cargo box is pretty big and i have the sunroof.
    I had to remove the roof rail spacers for the sunroof to move the front cross bar all the way forward so the box wouldn't hit the sunroof from flexing due the air pressure.
    I just didn't crack the sunroof open after that while the box was up there.
    Also, buy a hard shell carrier.
    My BIL had the hard shell and another person in the identical Explorer(prior generation) had a soft carrier.
    They stopped for fuel at the same time and the other Explorer took 5 more gallons each stop. Basically, the soft topper ran out of fuel first every time.
    Two things to keep FIRMLY in mind:

1. SUV's, with their generally higher center of gravity, are statistically more prone to roll-over incidents/accidents than other passenger vehicles.

2. The Ford Explorer, in the past, had an unusual propensity for rollovers, so much so that the factory chose to under inflate (BAD idea, REALLY BAD IDEA) the tires as "compensation".

Adding more weight at the top will ALWAYS raise the propensity for rollovers, the higher that weight (on top of crossbars), the moreso.
    Explorer's rollover rate (as a percentage) was no worse than other SUVs like the Trailblazer.

The tire pressure wasn't compensation - it was for comfort. And without a defective tire it would not have been an issue.
    I would suggest getting a set of cross bars and a hard roof box.

Troll craigslist for a hard roof box. I bought one 3 years ago for $125, used it for 2 years and then sold it for $100 - all on craigslist.

Although I have a set of Yakima bars and attachments I am planning on getting the OEM Ford crossbars for my new Explorer.