Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Brand new '11 elantra, clock resets

rexpjrexpj Member Posts: 2
edited September 2014 in Hyundai
My new elantra's clock (and other trip computer information settings) resets every time I restrat the motor.

I've called service, but what might be wrong?

Comments

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    Try turning off all electrical accessories. Especially big draw items like rear defogger, seat heaters, fans, lights etc. Turn everything you can think of, off.

Then try to start car and see if it still happens. If it doesn't then likely a faulty battery. Try to determine if it does it even after coming in off highway and with the battery freshly having been charged right up by the alternator. It also could be a bad connection to the battery.

But it could be something else altogether, but this is a good place for you to start. Let us know.
  • bigdogbitubigdogbitu Member Posts: 39
    Did you ever find out why the clock resets along with other settings? I just bought a new 2011 Elantra and noticed the same thing happened this morning!
    I will try charging the battery tonight and see what happens tomorrow.
    Keep in mind that it isn't necessarily the battery, but a bad connection from the battery somewhere could also do this. If other cars are doing it, and they find it is not computer related somehow, they might discover that x number of cars built at such and such a time on such and such a shift, weren't getting battery cables torqued properly. It could be anything tho, but this is just a place to start. Where you can get a hand on, see if the battery connections and assorted sub plastic connector parts near battery are tight.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Since it's a new car, under warranty, why not take it into the dealer and let them check it out?
    Yea, I will call them later.
  • rlmrirlmri Member Posts: 2
    Open the fuse panel located to the left of the steering column. You will see an on/off switch. Put the switch into the ON position.

The vehicle was not prepped properly. The vehicle electronics are turned off during shipment to prevent a possible drain to the battery.

No need to contact or go to the dealer.
    A big, "Thank You!"

How did you find out?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Yes, HUGE thank you for the simple solution to this annoying problem! (and welcome to the forums.)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• rlmrirlmri Member Posts: 2
    The same thing happened to me. I searched around and found that you guys had the same problem. I looked at the fuse panel and noticed the switch. I switched to on and the prob went away.
    Good Job!

I would not have thought to do that!
    Great to know! Gotta love a fix like that. Welcome also.
  • rexpjrexpj Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much! (I wonder why service people at three Hyundai dealers could not fix that over the phone?)
  • keyman2keyman2 Member Posts: 78
    I'm planning to purchase a Sonata Turbo 2011,hearing alot of problems with Passenger seats and pulling to left.Is the Elantra better at this and is this good on the road.I know it does not have the speed the sonata has but is this quick enough?
This discussion has been closed.