Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Equinox Antifreeze Coolant Smell

wraymondwraymond Member Posts: 1
tthere is a antifreeze/coolant smell in my car, unable to get rid of it. took vehicle into the dealer, was told there is no coolant leaking. My equinox also fogs up and I am unable to defrost it, the dealer did an pressure testing, said everything looks good, cannot diagnose any problem. Please help me, has anyone experience this problem.

Comments

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    In general for any vehicle I would guess the combination of anti-freeze smell and fogging inside would tend to make me think about a leak in heater core. May be small enough at this time so it wouldn't show up with easy on pressure test.
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    While still brand new, the dealer had to change the radiator hose on my 2005 Equinox because the interior of the hose was deteriorating by itself. My coolant in the recovery tank was of a brown color and stinky with a white sludge on the recovery tank sides.

Then at 30,500 miles I had to change the "head gasket" I couln'd see any oil on the engine block because it was on the side of the firewall (impossible to see without a black light test).

You could check these two things... they both produced a bad smell on mine.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    wraymond,
    If you are unsatisfied with the dealers’ diagnosis, I would recommend getting a second opinion from another dealer.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • carstrykecarstryke Member Posts: 168
    something is currently wrong with my 09 nox too. After a 5 hour road trip and a last stop at a local gas station the heater vents were producing a strong smell of something burning. Unable to locate on my own will take to the dealer this week and let u know.

Ha funny side story, i bought this vehicle brand new because i was tired of repairing my old 05 impala and now ive been to the stop twice as much as my impala lol
  • runoxrunox Member Posts: 156
    Could be a small coolant leak with the engine heat evaporating the coolant making it unnoticeable. Even if under the hood the smell would migrate into the cab collected by the air circulation system. if under the hood it should be less noticeable, maybe nonexistent if you close off the fresh air intake on the HVAC.
  • scottm8scottm8 Member Posts: 1
    I have an almost new 2010 Equinox and just experianced a heater core failure. Was getting strong odor and fogged windsheild. Dealer just replaced but there must be fluid left in vents in dash. Taking vehicle back in to have them recheck for more fluids left in dash area, etc. Very depressing since we really love the car and still getting average 26.2 MPG!!
This discussion has been closed.