Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer XLT V8 5.0L - jumped start incorrectly

awandaawanda Member Posts: 3
edited August 2014 in Ford
My car battery was low (won't start) so I was jump started the battery with my other car. However I was jumped start it incorrectly. The jump start cable was melted and the battery in my ford is completely dead. The keyless won't work. How bad is the damage to the car?

Thank you,

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    Does anything electrical work? It could just mean resetting the security system.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • awandaawanda Member Posts: 3
    No, it does not work at all. Can I reset the security system myself? Thank you.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    If the old battery had any charge at all left then you didn't apply reverse voltage to the car's electrical system. But the cells in that old battery are now likely welded together so only a new fresh battery in its place is likely to even have a chance of working
  • awandaawanda Member Posts: 3
    Hi Wwest,

I called triple A to get a new battery. The mechanic tried to jump start it first to run test before he replaced the battery. It was working but like you said, the battery welded so it's need to be replaced. The battery has been replaced and the mechanic run the test, it's working good and there is no electrical damage to the car. Thank you for your kind assistance, I really appreciate it.

Best Regards,
    Liana
This discussion has been closed.