Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Verano

ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
edited December 2013 in Buick
Buick has announced the upcoming availability beginning in the 2012 model year of a new compact sedan, the Verano, available with a 2.4L DI 4-cylinder or a 2.0L turbocharged 4-cylinder.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Comments

• overbrookoverbrook Member Posts: 275
    I think people were pleasantly surprised by this model. It looks better than we expected it to and it should perform well with the 2.4L engine. Can't wait to sit in one.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    Love the pics released this week! Sharp little car that should help Buick move forward. The $22K base price almost sounds too good to be true!
  • tx_gtotx_gto Member Posts: 1
    I drove a turbo Regal last weekend and was not impressed with the performance of that engine. Also the seats are short, with little support for your legs (kind of like sitting on the edge of a chair) I am 5'9", 150 pounds so am not a big guy. My wife noticed the same thing on the passenger side. I like the concept of a small upscale car and the Verano looks pretty good. I am assuming the turbo motor would move the lighter car with a bit more authority. I am not sure why that 2.0 L is limited to 220hp in the Buick. Didn't it produce 260hp in the Cobalt SS and Solstice GXP? I also drove a turbo Sonata and with +270hp it was much more nimble. BTW, I drove a Lacrosse V-6 and it was superb. It's just more car than I need.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Concerning the Cruze(I was checking for data on the upcoming Verano and noticed this)
    NOTE : The EPA database is wrong. It says 94+16. Which is still 110 and should be mid-size. Their site says quite plainly:

Compact 100 to 109
    Mid-Size 110 to 119

Actual data directly from GM:
    94.6 Cubic Ft. (interior)
    15.4 Cubic Ft. (trunk)
    (link)
    http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/news/news_detail.brand_gm.html/content/P- - ages/news/us/en/2010/Jun/0603_cruzepricing

Officially it is exactly 110.0 according to GM. GM seems to be happy to market it as a compact, though. But it's not.

Edmunds should at least change its data to reflect this error. Edmunds has enough clout in the industry so that if anyone questioned it, they would be forced to also change their data as well.

ie - "how come Edmunds has it wrong?" Then they check the EPA data and GM's data and see that it's really mid-size according to the actual numbers.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    I got feedback from Edmunds - they apparently correctly classify it as mid-size. Nice to know that people here check the data more carefully than other sites (apparently do ) :)

It's likely that GM has a marketing reason to call it a compact car and is getting the EPA to look the other way.

As for the Verano itself, it looks like you're trading a bit over a cubic foot of room inside for trunk space. The Regal is only 14.2 cubic ft, which is dangerously small. IMO, the Verano is poised to make the Regal completely useless. Virtually the same space inside, but costs less and is 400lbs lighter.

Losing weight cannot be under-stated here. It affects literally everything and the lighter that a car is (within reason) the better everything works. Less stress on components as well. Better MPG. Better handling. Better acceleration. No need for a turbo.

I can't wait for it to come out. I think it will be a game changer for GM.
    Not really. Driving a Cruze is a compact experience. Add a sunroof (as some do) and lose 2 cubic feet of interior volume. Add a spare tire (as many do) and lose 1 cubic foot of interior volume.

The Cruze is a big compact. The Nissan Sentra is rated at 110 cuft, the Hyundai Elantra is 112 cuft as is the Kia Forte: 112 cuft. None of these cars are marketed as mid-size sedans because they're not. The market class is compact, EPA numbers aside.

The Verano can be a winner for Buick if they keep the base price at $22K. Good looking little compact. The slightly larger console will knock the Verano down to 109 cuft and that's before a sunroof and spare tire are added taking it to 105 cuft. Shoulder room, hip room and leg room put all these cars in the compact class.
  • The Cruze and Verano have unusually large trunks for their size. The Regal will hardly be rendered useless. First of all, a 14.2 cf trunk is a very reasonable size for a mid-size car. Up until recently, many in the class were often closer to 13 cf. Using your logic, the Regal should render the Lacrosse completely useless, as the Regal's trunk is bigger than the one in the Lacrosse.

Not everyone is concerned with having a huge trunk. Some people would buy the Regal over the Verano for the added safety factor of more length and weight. There is probably a bit more elbow room in a Regal. They will handle differently. And the Regal will have more prestige, whatever that is worth. Others will prefer the style of the Regal over the Verano. It is still true that it is easier to add style and presence to a larger platform, other factors being equal (which they never are!).

I suspect that the Verano will do well for Buick here (it is already an important model in China), but it is unlikely to be a game changer. Crossovers and trucks are still the sweet spot of the market. Small cars are a growing presence, but are still not selling like hotcakes. Given the anticipated rise in gas prices, the Verano projected mpg would have to be a whole lot better in order for people to flock to it for that reason. Compact sedans across the board are becoming progressively quieter and better equipped, because that is what people want, regardless of size. The Verano is a good effort for Buick, and is another part of rebuilding the brand here.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Got a call from my local dealer that they are in now. Will go give it a test drive within a couple of weeks. Hoping this will be the car on the other side of our garage by this time next year! :)

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Let us know what you think Sandman. The Verano came in a bit pricer than I expected (leaving room for discounting). I'd love to try one out with the turbo next year.

And yes, adding Verano to the drop-down menu would be a welcome addition.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    We've already submitted a request for the Verano to be added to the drop-down options.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

edited December 2011
    I took my new 2011 Lacrosse in to the local Buick dealer for her first oil change today.

They had 2 new 2012 Veranos sitting unlocked on the lot. One was an SD1 (the base) with the only option being red crystal paint at $325 + $885 destination putting it right at $23,800 MSRP.

A very nice car. Solid feeling doors and an interior fit for an Audi A4. It seems much more upscale than the Cruze. EPA numbers of 21 City / 32 Hwy / 25 Combined came in a touch better than anticipated. This trim has everything I would want. The sliding armrest a very good feature and the cloth/leatherette seats offered firm support. A lot here for the money with the 2.4L 4-cyl and 6-sp auto plus a 7 color touch radio with Intellilink, 18" alloys and fog lamps all standard.

The SL1 (leather group) would be a tougher sell for me. It has $5,100 added to the sticker for a $28,900 MSRP. It had a sunroof, spoiler, red paint, and upgraded 18" alloys in addition to leather-heated seats, Bose Audio, leather-heated steering wheel and Passive Entry w/Push Button Start.

I was most impressed with the SD1 and would love to drive one when the 2.0L Turbo is available next summer.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I would look for that SL1 to be around $26k-$27k street price when the turbos arrive. That may be the time to move on one if the normally aspirated version fits the bill.
    edited December 2011
    I agree a $26k price would be competitive on the loaded model. That might put the base SD1 around $21k - a great price for that car.

I have the same engine in my '11 Lacrosse and am very happy with it. It makes plenty of power from 3,000 rpms on up and delivers decent mileage. I have averaged nearly 25mpg in mixed driving over the first 4 months. The turbo will be worth a look though.

Before I bought my Lacrosse I drove several compact and midsize models. If the Verano had been available last summer, it would have been a "must drive".

I almost bought a '12 Focus Hatchback. I really sharp car but a touch too "sports car like" for my middle-age bones. ;)
    edited December 2011
    .......I forgot.

The Verano has a lot more curb appeal (to me) than the Cruze. It looks like a larger car too. I checked the dimensions and the Verano is nearly 3" longer and 1" wider than the Cruze.

:D
  • 2.9" of extra length isn't really a significant difference, and neither is the 0.7" of extra width, but they did put it to good use in making the car look a bit more substantial than the Cruze.
    3" of length is quite a bit and very noticeable, particularly on a compact car.

I was surprised at how much more "physical presence" the Verano has over the Cruze (and many other market-class compacts).

My sister/brother-in-law recently bought a 2012 VW Jetta TDI and I was shocked at how much larger it looks than others in the class.

The Verano is even bigger than their new Jetta. Except in price! ;)
  • The Jetta is exactly the same length as my 2011 Volvo S60 (182"). The S60 has a longer wheelbase and is wider, so it looks bigger than similar sized cars like the Jetta and the Cruze. The Jetta adopted a bit of the Audi look, and that adds to its own in-the-metal presence. However, it is actually longer than the BMW 3 sedan and the Mercedes C Class sedan.

I did say the Verano looks bigger than the others. It is just that 2.9" added to the nose can happen with a modest styling change, such as the 2010 Fusion over the 2009. A grill change or bumper change can easily swallow that much extra length. Styling can add or detract from perceived size. Who would initially think that a Chrysler 300 is shorter than Lincoln MKS? The Lincoln is a bigger car, but somehow more truncated looking.
  • jen727bfjen727bf Member Posts: 12
    Anyone purchased one? We are trying to see how much discount we can get on this car. We took it for a test drive and fell in love. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jen :shades:
  • amoszkowiczamoszkowicz Member Posts: 7
    No.

Waiting for lease info to be released and for the local dealership to get a few more in stock. Would like to check it out.
  • robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    I'd like to hear too. I don't like the MSRP when you load on up with all options
  • Although when you compare it to other premium small cars, it has a bargain price. Look at an Acura TSX or FWD Audi A4 and it is a screaming bargain. Compare it to a loaded up Suzuki Kizashi. The more the market forces the price down to begin with, the less resale value will accompany the vehicle. The Verano is a very well equipped car. That does not come cheap anywhere these days unless you are looking at used ones.
  • jmh13jmh13 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought one. Leather group plus a sunroof. We paid a few hundred over invoice, which is about $2,000 under MSRP. Based on that, I would think anything less than $1,500 or so under MSRP is a good deal.
    Buick needs to put Homelink and a rear view camera in this car before I'll consider it. It has a heated steering wheel but no rear view cam? Who thought that one up?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is hoping to interview car-shoppers under 34 years old to learn whether they are interested in the new "near-premium" offerings from Acura, Audi, Buick and Lexus. Thanks for responding to PR@edmunds.com by Thursday, March 29, 2012 with your daytime contact info and a sense of whether you think those vehicles are well-suited to you and your peers.
  • ankith1ankith1 Member Posts: 7
    Hi Steve,
    I ran into this post a little late and could not respond to the interviews for car shoppers below 35.

I am 25 and planning to buy my first car. i really love the 2012 Verano Base trim, compared to Acura/Lexus/Audi. I found out the quotes from different dealers for the verano and they said out of the door price would be around 26K. Few of my friends suggest that i should go for a used one, probably a 2011 Buick Lacrosee.
    My budget is $25K, and I travel around 40 miles a day. Can you guys please suggest what I should go for regarding the two options I have. I am totally new to buying and selling cars and really don’t know what to consider. I would appreciate any input you guys can give on resale value, maintenance cost etc

Thank you
    There's a huge size difference between the Verano and the Lacrosse. The numbers on paper aren't reflective of how much difference there is. I own a 2011 Lacrosse with a 4-cylinder and really like it but it is a big car. Only the smallish (for the class) trunk keeps it from being a EPA class Large Car.

The Verano is a compact and while it's trunk is the same capacity as the Lacrosse, the passenger cabin is far smaller. The Verano will have a completely different driving experience (more sporty) than a Lacrosse that is more traditional Buick.

Buick offers a 4 year/50,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty and 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. That is a plus for many consumers. Buick dealers are everywhere also, another plus for scheduled maintenance.

The $26k out the door price quoted must be for a pretty loaded model. Veranos can be found well equipped for $23k. A used 2011 Lacrosse could go as low as $19k or as high as $30k depending on options. If it were me, I'd look into a 2012 Verano with a few less options and keep it around $24k.

Check truecar.com for the best prices in your area. Good luck!
  • todefytodefy Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2012
    A review of my 2012 Buick Verano just after passing 1900 kms

General note – This review is not intended to either prove or disprove anyone’s prior, existing opinion(s) & or reviews of the car. It is, for all intents and purposes, my thoughts after having driven up to, and just passing the 1900 kms mark. I am not, and do not claim to be a professional auto reviewer. However, like many of you, I do happen to like cars & truth be told I am really, really liking this vehicle.
    And NO, I am not either 60 or 70. But let’s just say I am in my earlier 40’s.

About me: American born but raised in Lugano Switzerland in my early hood then back to the U.S where I served in the USMC and afterwards worked at Boeing under Alan Mulally’s leadership. Now a part of the Canadian landscape. My Grandfather, who raised me in Lugano (Switzerland) basically retired from MBenz. As such, he was truly passionate about cars and as such I was raised around Alfas, Fiats, Opels, Peugeots, Renaults Porsches, you get the picture. He was also good friends with Clay Regazzoni and I was offered the opportunity to be introduced to Niki Lauda. As a side note, my Nonno most idolized the Opel GT.

Cars I have owned: Ford Pinto, Toyota Starlet, Toyota Celica, Chevelle, (2) Chevy Camaros, Chevy S-10, Merkur XR4Ti, Audi A4, Suzuki Sidekick, VW Jetta, Mazda Miata and lastly the Verano. As it happens, once the Verano Turbo arrives I may be upgrading to it.

What I was looking for in a new car: An entry level luxury / luxury vehicle focusing on several aspects of the car ownership experience to include: well built, reliable, great to drive, safe, decent on gas, comfortable & lastly aesthetically pleasing.

On to the car
    2012 Buick Verano – (EXT) White Diamond Tri-Coat - (INT) Cashmere Leather Package with Intellink (less Navigation) but with the optional wheel package.
    Average combined mileage so far (as per trip computer): 12.4 L - Not that great but as it happens, and with anyone being familiar with Richmond, B.C., one should know that it has more stoplights per capita than the rest of the world combined. Not sure as to what the City Planners where thinking when designing roads, but traffic must not have been one of their top priorities. IMO, Bangladesh has better roads for Heaven’s sake.

So, why the Verano? The only reason that I was swayed in the first place towards this purchase was after being talked into test driving a Chevy Cruze. After doing so, it led me to believe, that for once, GM along with its other American counterparts, were finally changing for the better. The fact that the Verano has German DNA also helped to have it as one of my choices.

Interior: All that I can say is wow. The fit & finish in this thing is truly a step up for GM. As it has been highlighted in several professional reviews, if one was to remove the badging one would think they are sitting inside a Bimmer or Audi. It is really that good. But can it be considered luxury? Well, that defines what luxury means to each one of us. Is it a Bentley? No. Is it an Audi A7? No. But I would be diligent in stating that the Verano’s interior can definitely go head to head with any of its luxurious counterparts. And considering the price of entry, one should not find much to fault in its execution.
    The seats are well bolstered and I have found it to be relatively easy to find a good driving position. All the controls, knobs, buttons etc. move and/or click with a reassuringly quality feel when either being pushed and/or pressed. The instrument cluster, along with its gauges, is set up very nicely in pods which I have found to be easy to read in all lighting levels being either sunny or at night. I would have preferred that Buick use white background lighting as opposed to the “usual” and overused orange and blue hues. But it is not something to really complain about. The cabin ambient lighting is just beautiful. Additionally, while driving at night, the chrome on the speed / tach pods reflect outside reflections form streetlights which truly help in exuding some sort of class. All that I can say is that they really thought about everything when designing the interior. The Bose audio system is decent enough. I am aware that everyone craps on Bose’s back door in regards to their sound reproduction qualities but I am not buying a car so I can listen to Beethoven or Bach in “D” Minor, or in my case, Eminem, Jay-Z, Wyclef Jean and other forms of Hip Hop etc., at 700 Watts of power. Is it nice? Yes. Does it sound good? Yes. I believe that GM with its “Quiet Tuning” initiative has achieved what they set out to do. As previously highlighted in several reviews I have had passengers ask me if the engine was running. It is really whisper quite inside. So, I guess, all the better for Bose to do its thing as advertised.
    In regards to all the radio & heating / air conditioning controls on the center console. In short, S-I-M-P-L-E. I have read reviews stating that there are so many buttons that it is confusing to use them. I say, YEAH RIGHT! to that. Everything is set up so simple a 2nd grader can figure everything out in about 3 minutes.

I find that my choice of interior color mix is quite nice. Not old looking but then yet not the same atypical boring all black with aluminum a la MBenz. One thing is for sure. It is not austere. There are wood grain inlays (fake) on the door pulls and around the center dashboard inset in brushed aluminum dash trim which add a subliminal classy touch. Other than that the color on the rest of the dashboard and doors is two toned (brown / cashmere) and it is made with good quality plastics. Everything, gaps – panel alignments etc. is up to snuff. If anything, this in itself should speak in volumes as to how different, and better, the Big 3 have improved in the past few years. Speaking of doors. When they are either opened or closed these doors shut with that Teutonic thunk. Not sure if this is due to Opel’s help in the engineering but I find the Verano very substantial or solid, so-to-speak.

Technologies on board – In short, Onstar & Intellink with Pandora / Sticher are amazing to have. The fact that I can also start, stop, warm the seats & steering wheel, check my car’s vitals, and do all this with my phone is a feature that I can wholeheartedly brag about. Yup, truth be told! I have had several German auto owners that have asked as to why this is not available in their cars for the price of entry.

Exterior – Simple, classy, and elegant without being flashy. In this respect I really have not much to say since everyone has their personal taste in respect to how a car should look like.
  • todefytodefy Member Posts: 2
    So, not to get into a heated debate over this, but knowing how great Hyundai is doing these days, I may be in the minority when I say that I am not a big fan of their fluid sculpted look. At first I liked it but now it seems already somewhat dated. But then again I can say the same for the VW Jetta, which basically looks like everything else in their lineup. I can never be too sure as to which car I am seeing ahead of me, or behind me for that matter. Jetta? Jetta GLI? Passat? Audi A4? They all look alike. Does it work? I guess it must since they are selling like candy. Alas I continue to receive positive feedback in the design etho of the Verano. The headlights work as advertised. The blue “halo” around the headlights help in adding some substance to the front of the car without having that “Wow, looks like a BMW” statement. In fact, IMO, the LED crap that is happening has gotten way out of hand. I would presume that all auto designers must have only 1 letter in their alphabet this being an “L” shaped design theme. At any rate, the High Beams also work very well and not sure as to the way that they have been aimed but have had several cars flashing me back to turn them off. The taillight design/implementation is also very simple & clean. No weird shapes on the back. Everything looks appropriately dimensioned to include the mostly talked feature, this being the chrome Angry Birds eyelids. I personally like them and it does create some sort of design flair on the back.

Engine & Suspension – This is an easy one. Great engine, very smooth and quiet, but it certainly could use the addition of a few ponies. The car does feel heavy and being several hundred kilos heavier than most cars in its segment, GM should really work towards in rectifying this. But I am told that the Verano GS should be arriving soon with an extra 40HP so I guess they are already aware of this. As for as the Suspension system and how well it works all that I can basically say is that the car feels pretty planted and feels secure when driven. Again, It is in fact very Teutonic in the way that it drives, soaks up potholes pretty well, is stable. The car is quick to respond to driver inputs and it handles quite well. The car arrives with pretty much all the standard fanfare of today’s models, Traction Control, Slippage Warning etc. IT IS a great car to drive and always look forward to taking the long way home just to keep on driving it.

So at the end: If anyone should have any doubts as to how good this car really is, you should really take the time to test one. Is it better than A, B, or C? Well that is subjective in itself since what is purchased should only be dependent on the requirements of the end user. All that I can say is that I am duly impressed. Very good luxury car for the price I paid for it. Is it a 3 Series? Audi A4? Possibly not. But does it aspire to be? Not really. But I can say this. GM has garnered its fair share of criticisms as of lately but criticisms aside GM has always been at the forefront of automobile technology. I for one, can wholeheartedly say that I have been won over by the Verano. Or better yet an American car. In truth if they can continue to build the cars that they are building they should be able to change people’s perceptions of what kind of company that GM aspires to be.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    Does the Verano's Pandora work in Canada? I know they turned off the online version of Pandora because of rights issues some time ago and you could no longer access it from Canada.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning ab348,

I don't have any resources available to answer your specific question as I assist US drivers. However, GM of Canada may be able to assist you with this if you wanted to contact them at 800-263-3777 (Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST).

All the best, and I'm sorry that I can't answer your question for you right here,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    edited April 2012
    Great observations on the Verano. The non independant beam rear axle is a cheap out on the Verano and really keeps the Audi comparision from working for me. What I also noticed is that the front seat recliners are non power and hard to work. Also something inhertited from it's Cruze sibling. 12 to 13 mpg Avgis unacceptable mileage for a small car! Is anyone else doing better than this? Does the car at least have back up beeper alarms inside? Are the tailights LEDs?

Conversly the sound suppression work on the Verano is world class! Honda needs to sit up and take note! I'm going to look at the Acura ILX due out this spring before I make any small car decision.
  • carman14carman14 Member Posts: 7
    Update on Verano 2012 6 month to-date.

This is the little lady's ride and I get it on weekends. So far no problems to mention at all. This car is well built and fit and finish are excellent. For a car in this category it handles well and mpg not bad but could be better.

Pick up outstanding and rides like a library on the highway. Compared to Regal I tool around with this car comparable but a notch better as far as transmission and luxurious interior.

Only thing to note, front end is very low and I have a sidewalk crossing my driveway so I have a slight incline. This puppy front end dam rubs against it when I pull out to fast. Keep in mind also when parking near parking lot bumpers this baby will rip apart if you go to close.

Had a recall notice regarding air bag, but dealer inspected and said all was good!
    Thats it for now!
  • guy1974guy1974 Member Posts: 119
    A rear view camera will be available for the 2013 models.
    Yeah, I read about that. What about Homelink? They put it in the 2012 Regal so I thought maybe they'd put in the 2013 Verano. I just don't understand their thought processes. They want to market Buick as a premium car but don't even offer stuff that is standard on most other premium makes or even offer it as an option. Strange.
  • I suspect something must be cut somewhere, or the Verano would end up as expensive as the top end Regal or Lacrosse. It has got to be a conundrum to figuring out how to market a small luxury car without having it cost every bit as much as every other premium car. I think most manufacturers choose to make less profit on small premium cars and hope to make it up in somewhat greater volume. However, in the Verano's case, Buick is wading into territory (premium compact) where it has no track record or reputation. It certainly has made a good first effort, but sales are hardly remarkable so far.
    Truth is you can get better deals on larger cars that have been out longer such as the Regal Vs Verano etc. It always costs to be first with a new model. If you option the Verano up too much, you'd be wise to price out other family models.
    That's pretty much the case with any car class. The top of the lines tend to cross the lower or even middle of the next larger class. Lots of people just don't want a larger car even if they can get it for the same price.

However, I don't think $100 cost for adding Homelink would throw this car into another price category.
  • No, it wouldn't. But adding every option each individual finds important could begin to push it there. BTW, I like Homelink, but the building to which I recently moved has an opener for the common garage that will not link with Homelink, so that option is now unimportant to me.

Also, the labor involved in building an Audi A4 for example is not appreciably different from an A6 or A7, or a Regal v. a Lacrosse.

If I were in the market for a Buick, the Verano is as big as I would want to go, living in the densest part of my city as I do. My new Volvo S60 is actually an inch or two less in length than the Verano. An A4 is about as big as I care to go with a sedan, so trading up to the next size just because it seems a better deal is not something I would do.
    I'm wasn't referring not asking for "every" option known to man. Just an option that just about every premium/luxury car has standard and most regular brands at least offer. It would be nice to be able to order. I help with my mom and it is very handy to be able to program the Homelink for both my garage and hers to avoid carrying two transmitters. I was able to buy a mirror w/homelink for our Mazda. Cost about $200 installed if I recall correctly. Wish Buick would be as convenient.
  • nrborodnrborod Member Posts: 79
    BTW, how do you like the s60? The T5 or T6?
  • thundrbunnythundrbunny Member Posts: 1
    With Verano's good reviews to now, I'm looking forward to the October launch of the Turbo. I might actually be looking at my first domestic car purchase in many years if this thing lives up to my rather high standards.

I think Edmunds was being a bit harsh when they said: "Lacks the cachet of rivals like the Acura ILX, Audi A3 or Lexus IS 250." "Cache" is a very fickle and perishable commodity. 15 years ago, you couldn't give away a Cadillac; and 10 years ago, people were laughing at Hyundai. This car could be a real game changer for Buick if:

1) They get a firm grip on the car's identity and target market early on. Is it a fast upscale small car, or a premium sports compact? Flappy paddle shifters for the automatic trans and other sporting touches like premium tires and Brembo-style brakes could go a long way in reinforcing that "sports" image & performance.

2) GM resists the urge to go to el-cheapo parts bin pieces. Premium sport sedans are the sum of premium pieces - no corner cutting, please. (You know you've done it before.)

3) Keep the price realistic. You can't break into this niche by charging what the big boys have already earned the right to charge. Don't try to hit a home run on every unit by charging yourselves right out of the game. Earn your street cred first - then we'll talk about big profits.

Here's hoping GM is listening.
  • doocuedoocue Member Posts: 2
    Coming up on two months/1600 miles in my new Verano, I offer some non-technical observations. (FYI, I’m 63 y.o.- definitely out of Buick’s current demographic target – but am no driving slouch. You’ll find me at the front of the pack, 8-10 mph over the limit, usually testing the upper performance limits of my vehicles.)

Verdict: I like driving this car. It feels solid. I never have any sense of losing control – whether rushing on rough pavement, cornering sharply, passing at high speeds or braking hard. The steering is precise – effortless when parking, responsive when maneuvering through traffic, a bit slack at high speeds but straight-tracking. As for power - much mocked on these forums - I can only say that the Verano goes as fast I want it to go. There are plenty of angry and aggressive drivers here in NYC. Few of them intimidate me or my Verano.

I was sold by Buick’s quiet-tuning promotions. The technology and claims are real. And there were some unexpected effects. This car is definitely quiet, just as promised. There is little mechanical noise. In fact, at idle, the engine is so faint that a few times, I accidentally left the car and returned only to discover that I had forgotten to turn the engine off. There is little wind sound. The windows are smallish, especially the four extra portholes, and extra thick. This muffles outside sounds, especially noticeable when you drive through a tunnel alongside trucks. The cabin feels quite compact. All its surfaces are well-padded. The whole effect is like being inside a capsule - an airplane or submarine. Your environment is so calm compared to the harsh one outside. It gives me a sense of privacy – of really being in my own world.

I can listen to the radio at the same volume level I would in my living room and still have an easy conversation with a passenger.

The seats feel more like a living room arm chair. They are firm yet with generous bolstering, good back support and luxurious-feeling leather. Do you know that Pavlovian response when you are about to have the first taste of a favorite food – you start salivating. I have a similar experience each time I walk up to the car. The seat is so comfortable, so perfectly positioned, that my body relaxes in joyful anticipation of the first contact. I did some comparisons, and found that the Verano’s seats are about 2-inches higher than other car seats and not as steeply sloped. The extra height makes it easier to get in and out of the car. Some people like the sports car like feel of very low seats. I prefer sitting higher and upright. I think that’s what gives the cabin its living room feel.

There are a few disappointments. Significant blind spots. The front side pillars take a chunk out of the field of view when turning. They can hide pedestrians. And the pillars in the back force you to look much more carefully for on-coming traffic when pulling out of a parking space. The rear window and mirror seem awfully constricted. Although the car is quiet, I am quite aware of sound of the tires on the road. Road bumps produce sharp thumps. I suspect this is simply a consequence of there being little other noise, and possibly because of the low profile tires and general tautness of the body.

The entertainment and communications system – Intellilink – offers lots of features, but the user interface needs a little more thinking. It took a while to navigate through the plethora of offerings – Sirius, CD, USB, Bluetooth streaming, AM, FM etc. This requires assigning shortcuts to sources on groups of six buttons, each group representing a single collection of favorites. You have to cycle through the groups of favorites to get to the shortcut for a particular source and if you don’t actually press the button, there is a mismatch between the button’s screen label and the actual shortcut. Ughh.

The Bluetooth phone connection requires that the radio be on. There should be some standby mode where the radio is on but if you feel like quiet, nothing is actually playing. Also, the touch panel could display a virtual analog clock instead of the boring Buick logo when the radio is off. This would dress things up. Hey, it’s just a computer. Why not allow display of a picture of your lover, your dog or family? This could be done through the car’s smartphone app. Importing contacts from my particular phone was not supported. But I can use the car’s own phone (yes, it comes with its own phone and number!). It would be nice to have commands to be able to dial separate digits during a call. This way, you could access voice mail or get through office PBX switches or any automated telephone response systems.

The car is definitely small. Still, I can push the seats far enough back that the feet of my 6-foot body cannot reach the pedals. Gas mileage is 22-23. Not terribly impressive for such a small car. A full tank gives me about 325 mile range.

Sometimes the car looks to me like an ugly duckling, parts of the body seem bloated. Nevertheless, there is an inner coherence to the design. The theme of the chrome “eyebrows” over the tail lights are carried through onto the dash. Study a picture of the control panel and you’ll see how the chrome accents on the outer button edges or between groups of switches contribute to readability. Notice how the brushed aluminum outline is well sculpted. This is subjective, but I think the Verano is pretty and pleasing, even if it is an ugly duckling.
    You have a way of capturing the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Going to price one out next week.
    Mr. Doocue..

I am interested in knowing about this particular thing you mentioned in your review. Please share which smart phone app you mentioned

"Why not allow display of a picture of your lover, your dog or family? This could be done through the car’s smartphone app"

Thanks a lot
    Doocue..

I am interested in knowing about this particular thing you mentioned in your review. Please share which smart phone app you mentioned.

"Why not allow display of a picture of your lover, your dog or family? This could be done through the car’s smartphone app"

Thanks a lot
  • doocuedoocue Member Posts: 2
    to ankith1
    I was making a wish. This function does not actually exist. My point is that the Intellillink/OnStar functionality has unrealized potential. The display is probably driven by a netbook-like compact computer possibly running Linux. The image is like a PC desktop. Tt would be neat if the user could customize it. The car comes with a phone app that monitors tire pressure, gas, oil and through which you can send commands to start the car or prepare a route. This could be a way to customize the display - someday.
  • nrborodnrborod Member Posts: 79
    I too await the turbo version--250HP! 260 Ft lbs torque--as much just about as Volvo s60 T5. I think the Verano will have an identity crisis when the turbo appears as Buick is saying this is not to be construed a s sport sedan--but that much power and 0-60 6.2 sec is quick. Will it be overkill?
  • joef8joef8 Member Posts: 4
    We all know that the turbo will be out soon. But various sources on the web say that the eAssist mild-hybrid system will become the base engine for the 2015 Verano. Is it possible to have both: a turbo on the eAssist engine?
  • james324james324 Member Posts: 2
    Love this car. I never go domestic, but I might just have to try out a Verano in 2-3 years. It will be interesting to see the improvements they make to it by the 2014/2015 models. Hope the sticker price doesn't go up or you can count me out!