Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Sonata Faulty Bumpers?

avarice1avarice1 Member Posts: 3
The 2011 Sonata's (6,200 miles) bumper "clips" have began to separate from the left front 3/4 panel. First it was one, now it has spread to three broken plastic tabs. Has anyone else had this problem?

The dealer said this was not a warrant item. I'd have to pay for the "repair" which can only be accomplishe by buying a NEW BUMPER!!!!!

Comments

• hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    It's time to try another dealer. I would also call Hyundai customer service and register a complaint. This should be covered by waranty unless it show that you damaged the bumper by hitting something
  • avarice1avarice1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks hjc1

I Have already contacted Hyundai Consumer Affairs. They passed the buck back to the dealer. The dealer stated that there were no signs indicating accidental breakage, but still refused to take care of the problem.

I am so disappointed in Hyundai....never again!
  • kmckinnonkmckinnon Member Posts: 12
    When the exact same thing happened with my 06 acura tsx the dealer replaced the clips-no problem after that. My tsx had less than 4,000 miles at that time-it now has almost 120,000 miles. It is not just a hyundai problem. We have had no problems (knock-on-wood) with our "11 sonata with 11,000+miles. The cars were bought from the same dealership
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Are there any other Hyundai dealers reasonably close to you? If so, it might be worth your while to have it looked at elsewhere. Just a thought.
  • snowallergysnowallergy Member Posts: 135
    Lots of salespeople come on these forums. I'd take any defenses of hyundais multiple problems with their BRAND NEW cars with a grain of salt.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    That isn't a true statement. We have many more allegations of such things happening than such incidents actually happening. Let's put it this way - take allegations of other members working for a particular auto company with a grain of salt. That will go a long way.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• snowallergysnowallergy Member Posts: 135
    I made my prior post to the wrong thread. But either way, we'll just agree to disagree. :lemon:

Edmunds makes A LOT of money off of car buying referrals. So, I'm not going to argue with a 'host'. It's a no win proposition.
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    I had exactly the same issue with my 2011 Limited. It happened right after I had the car in for service, so I took the car back. The dealer inspected the bumper, and there were no signs of any damage or contact.

They ended up ordering a bumper and replacing it under warranty.
  • magrxmagrx Member Posts: 3
    2012 Sonata GLS 6 speed manual
    Same issue with the right rear bumper cover. Dealer fixed it under warranty.
  • masteryamasterya Member Posts: 1

I had the same problem - clips faulty and bumper coming apart. Normal wear and tear. The design of the car doesn't help - too low to the ground on the front end. You have to make sure you NEVER get close to the parking cement barriers, because unlike any other car I've owned, this one will graze it and damage the bumper. Poor design and crappy materials. I had the bumper replaced free of charge, but had to do a lot of work to get it replaced. A relative of mine happened to know someone at the upper echelons of their Customer Service department via a client relationship and I believe that is what worked. I had initially been told both by the dealer and head office that it couldn't be replaced until my relative made the call. Since it was replaced it is damaged yet again - going into a driveway in snowy conditions and hit some packed snow - in 30 years of driving in winter this has NEVER happened before...common denominator is the Hyundai Sonata. Also there is rust developing at the seam where the windshield meets the metal - noticed it after 2.5 years of owning the vehicle - unbelievable! Also found rust in the trunk - not under, but in! Wrote to Hyundai head office and they won't repair it saying warranty for rust ran out at 60,000. They claimed little stones hit the windshield. They can't explain how litle stones NEVER caused rust in any other vehicle I have owned above the windshield. Also brakes already need replacing (rotors and pads). NEVER needed to have my brakes replaced in any other car (all of which including this one are standard transmissions) in the first 3 years of driving them. Horn was not working in first year I had it - went back 4 times to get the horn to finally work. What a lemon! I will NEVER buy a car from Hyundai again. Can't wait to offload this car but who would buy it?