Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Hyundai Azera

Comments

• dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    It's the new full-size Kia coming this summer that I was referring to. The big Kia is a quasi-replacement for the Amanti. Read more here:

2013 Kia D-class
  • jamazerajamazera Member Posts: 149
    Looks good ..... pricing @~$27k up to $30k......that's $6-7k less than the Azera.....
    That's what I'm talking about. The big Kia could be a winner for U.S. Kia dealers. Might not make Hyundai dealers happy though! ;)

With a 2013 Kia Forte sedan and 5-door hatch on the horizon too? There will be 2 new models pulling U.S. consumers into Kia dealerships this summer.
  • jkolehjkoleh Member Posts: 38
    Took a brief test drive in the 2012 Kia Optima SX yesterday---seems a worthy competitor for the Azera--seemed to have as much pep as my 2007 Az. Nice riding and well equipped.

We'll see.
    check out the new Kia Cadence (large size) coming this spring??? Optima is a good competitor for the Sonata.....both mid-sized
    Both Azera and Avalon based Lexus are the same size, but worlds apart in price and goodies....base ES is just a dressed Camary and base Infinity is a dressed Maxima
  • osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    Quote:
    "I thought the new Azera was supposed to compete well with the Lexus ES."

osaka75, sorry to spoil your feelings, but Azera doesn't compete with Lexus (ES).
    Azera competes with Avalon, Maxima, and Lacross.

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/27/10489177-finally-hyundai-azera-- is-ready-for-prime-time

"Among front-wheel-drive mainstream brands it matches up against the Ford Taurus, Nissan Maxima and Toyota Avalon and in the near-luxury segment it contends with the Acura TL, Buick LaCrosse, and Lexus ES350. Judged in isolation, these are all impressive cars, and the rear-drive Chrysler 300 is another member of this otherwise front-drive group."

Based on the price points and equipment on the base models, I still believe that Azera is meant to compete with the ES350. And I think it will steal at least a few Lexus customers.

Anyway, great article! Look forward to many more positive reviews.
  • stcroixboystcroixboy Member Posts: 63
    I finally had the opportunity to see the new 2012 Azera in person last week.

Hyundai had one of the larger display areas at the show and the Azera was well positioned and seemed to be drawing the majority of the over forty crowd, while the Veloster was the hit of the younger set.

The display model was the top of the line with all options and I especially liked the interior design and layout including the upgraded leather seating and other appointments as compared to my '07 Limited. The seats seemed comfortable with good overall visibility.

Not quite sure if I am a huge fan yet of the look of the panoramic sunroof and wind deflector and as others have already noted it seems strange that this option is only available with the $4000 Tech package, while navigation is standard equipment.

Overall I really liked the new exterior design with the exception of the fact that the front end is almost identical to the Sonata.

According the the Hyundai reps at the show, we can expect a major launch in April (pushed back from February). Let's hope that they do it right this time and not ignore it as they have in the past!
    ...is available here: 2012 Azera on Autoblog

Good review for what I'm sure is a very good car. Came in at 3,600 pounds too, a bit lower than preliminary estimates.

One thing's is certain, if you buy one you won't be seeing your car at every stoplight. The $33k to $37k price will ensure that.

Now for the big new 2013 Kia sedan rumored to come in with the 200HP 2.4 GDI mill, 3,500 pounds at the curb, and $27k on the window. That one we might be seeing a lot of......
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    edited February 2012
    can be read here
  • cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    edited March 2012
    How can base Infinity be based on Maxima since the Maxima is FWD and the G model Infinities are RWD?
    IMO, you can talk platforms all you want, but two vehicles from the same platform can be very different. The Lincoln MKT is on the same platform as the Ford Flex, but the vehicles are worlds apart...or the Pontiac G8 and the Camaro...or the Saab 9-3 and the Chevy Malibu...
    As an '06 Azera owner, I was initially put off by the price increase for the '13 Azera, but when I saw the pics and read the specs with increased content, I must say the car looks to be very sweet. I believe the increased content and price were necessary to perfectly split the gap between the Sonata and Genesis.
    check the interior volumes, wheelbase, etc....modern platforms with unibody construction can accomodate 2 wd or 4 wd and various drivetrain combinations....look closely @ the toyota models and the lexus models...it is hard to dinstugish them apart without badging .....(minus chrome,headlight design etc) I too own a '06 Azzy with 38k miles....bought it new....black on black Limited...will not consider th new Azzy too pricy,,,,will look @ the new Kia Cadance (????) when it arrives
    check the interior volumes, wheelbase, etc....modern platforms with unibody construction can accomodate 2 wd or 4 wd and various drivetrain combinations....look closely @ the toyota models and the lexus models...it is hard to dinstugish them apart without badging .....(minus chrome,headlight design etc) I too own a '06 Azzy with 38k miles....bought it new....black on black Limited...will not consider th new Azzy too pricy,,,,will look @ the new Kia Cadance (????) when it arrives probably $4-$6k less
    The new Azera is base priced very close to the base Genesis but $12k above the Sonata. That surprises me - I think Hyundai is pricing it like a FWD Genesis (almost). In fact, you can get a new 2012 Genesis for $32,900 on truecar.com right now.

Now the Hyundai/Kia marketing gurus are smarter than I am. I believe they are upping the ante on the Azera to make more room for the Cadenza (or whatever name they use for the Kia model) and better differentiate their two makes. Kia also has a quasi-Genesis flagship model coming to the U.S. Dubbed the K9 elsewhere, it will get a new model name when it arrives here within a year.
    According to the Hyundai website, a Sonata Limited turbo with NAV is $31170, a Genesis 3.8 with the technology package ( NAV ) is $39,875. That places the NAV equipped Azera in a pretty sweet spot between the two. Yeah, maybe you don't need NAV, but all the techie stuff ( hard drive for music, back up camera, voice commands, etc. ) that comes with it is pretty nice.
    Regardless of price, though, if you live where it snows regularly, the Azera would be a pretty easy pick over the RWD 3.8 Genesis.
  • oskidunker1oskidunker1 Member Posts: 213
    Test drive reports claim there is alot of wind noise from the A Pillar. Would be curious to know if they just got a bad car or if this is true. I'm sure some people will report back soon.

I never use my sunroof, so the base model would be fine for me. :confuse:
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    And I should buy the overpriced Azera over an Avalon or Lacrosse, why?
    "Where the old car’s suspension was soggy as Seattle in April, the new car is no longer cursed with the cheapest shocks available, an engineer explained. Instead, now the Azera uses the advanced Sachs shocks featured on the Genesis and Equus premium models." http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/27/10489177-finally-hyundai-azera-- is-ready-for-prime-time

Does this mean the Azera has the truck-like ride of the Genesis or the comfortable ride of the Equus with air springs?
    can the new Sachs shocks be retrofitted to the old Azera's??
  • blackdynamite1blackdynamite1 Member Posts: 7
    Build market share. Price the Premium/Tech Package model at $35k

Their pricing is off.......
    BD
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    truck-like ride of the Genesis

Very descriptive and true!
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    why spend $30k plus for a Azera or Genesis when they are just dressed up Kia's. :P
    Speaking of Kia, things have been quiet on their upcoming full-size models.

Supposed to be FWD and RWD Kia models in the works a la Azera and Genesis. Early photos are promising with more formal yet athletic profiles.

I believe the Kia price points will be a notch under Hyundai levels and more in my ballpark. ;)
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    It's not overpriced when compared to Avalon and Lacrosse. Don't both of these cars cost $35k + before good options are added?
    I have looked at the competition and frankly like the design and features of the Azera better. The Nav being included is a big plus because I would never pay $2k more for this. Also they have two new colors, venetian red and a Copper brown color that looks interesting.

Some time when you are going down the freeway, look at the cars. They are all Black, white or Grey. I have a white Azera and was tired of the color about 1 year after I bought it. Next time I want a nice color, probably blue but I would love to be able to actually look at the red and brown. I fear no dealer will order these colors, which would be too bad.I'm afraid I still yearn for my Lime green 1972 240Z!

My guess is when the 2012 azeras come in, they will all be black. Maybe when I am in my own funeral...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    The brown doesn't do anything for me (if you're referring to the bronze mist on the Hyundai site), but the venetian red sure looks sharp. Midnight blue pearl looks nice too. Then again, I'm partial to odd colors - currently drive a yellow Ford Escape. As long as you know you *might* take a hit on resale if you go for a less commonly-desirable color, I prefer interesting over bland.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

No. In fact the Lacrosse bases right at $30k and is well loaded at $35k.

There is little question that Hyundai has set their sights high with the pricing on the new Azera. People used to buy Hyundai for price/warranty. Price is less of factor now since they are comparable to the competition, not below it (in most cases).
    edited March 2012
    I don't care about resale. Even though I am a Cal guy, I might just really consider that Red, if I can look at one somewhere!Maybe Camissa in Burlingame will get one.

I wonder if dealers will have mostly base models or the loaded ones.Myself, I could do without the sun roof.
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    $38k plus if you want bluetooth which seems to be about a $2000 option. Can that be right???
    I don't think so. The Azera has Bluetooth standard at a $32,875 base price. There is only one option package available, it's $4k and includes the glass roof.
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    I was talking about the Buick.
    Bluetooth is standard.
    edited March 2012
    That's a glitch in the website. Bluetooth for phone AND radio is standard on all Lacrosse models. I have a 2011 Lacrosse CX and it has Bluetooth for both phone and radio standard.

Here is the link. Buick should drop the row for Bluetooth phone because they have a seperate row for Bluetooth Phone and Radio that now covers it. I can stream wireless audio from my cell phone, the car's phone, or the AM/FM/XM radio.

Lacrosse Bluetooth After this link loads, click on "Interior" tab at that top and scroll down. You'll see it is standard.
    edited March 2012
    Looks like that $2000 option on the top Lacrosse model is NAV, with a different Bluetooth than the one that's standard on the other models. Yup, website glitch. If you want a Lacrosse with NAV it appears the least expensive would be the Premium 1 Model/Group where NAV is an option. V6 and a sunroof on that one is about $35K.
    According to latest issue of Motor Trend, the Azera has a "busy ride." Looks like Hyundai is true to its incapability of designing a smooth riding car without air springs (the Equus being the exception). Too bad, I'd consider a Genesis if it had the same suspension as the Equus. Now, compared to a nice-riding Avalon and there's no way I'd throw away $32k on an Azera.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    I believe this is the comment you are referring to. Not quite as damning as you imply. Actually the writer seems to compliment the strides Hyundai has made in ride quality.

Out in the real world, the Azera is proof positive that Hyundai has made strides ­-- albeit small ones -- to improve chassis dynamics. The ride, while not as coddling as that of an ES, comes across about as firm as a TL's and strikes a nice balance between luxury and sport, though over coarse pavement it's still a bit busy. Surprisingly, under aggressive cornering, the Azera exhibits sharp turn-in and moderate body roll, both of which are rather uncommon for the segment. (Credit the SACHS continuously variable dampers.)

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1202_2012_hyundai_azera_first_test/
    Onstar with Turn-by-Turn navigation is standard on all Lacrosse models which start at $30,170.
    My May 2012 issue of Motor Trend arrived yesterday and there was a nice, big write up on the new Azera. The overall review was very good. It is available online here: Motor Trend 2012 Azera Test

In regards to the two posts above, the MT writer made this salient point: "Out in the real world, the Azera is proof positive that Hyundai has made strides ­-- albeit small ones -- to improve chassis dynamics".

Powertrains, ergonomics, style, comfort, and safety have all been addressed to make Hyundai/Kia vehicles as good as, or better than, the competition. The lone area where they are perceived to be a touch behind is chassis development. This is being addressed as noted above.

There's no reason to believe this area will lag for long, nothing else has with these guys. What they've done over the last 10 years in nothing short of astounding.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Onstar turn by turn is not the same as having NAV and I don't believe it's free after the trial period. You only pay for NAV once.
    Exactly!
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited March 2012
    The Azera might be a nice car but it does not look good in pictures. Based on the Motor Trend and other pics I've seen so far the Azera looks bloated and without a distinctive personality unlike the Sonata and Elentra models that are sharp inside and out.

As to its competition I believe it is closer to the Impala and Taurus than the LaCrosse, TL, Avalon or MKS. It may have luxury pretentions but it is not in the class of the afore mentioned.

The Boston Globe this morning is reporting that the Azera is for the buyer coming out of a vehicle like the Sonata or the Accord who still wants front-wheel-drive without making the move to a rear-wheel-drive sedan like the Genesis. The article went on to say that persons of bulk will find ample seating in the Azera.
  • hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    Pictures don't do justice to this car. I attended the Chicago auto show in Feb. and spent a lot of time reviewing the Azera... and I'm sold. I also checked out competing models and still found the Azera to out rank them all. Yes this is a subjective approval but it's my opinion :=) I have owned several Hyundai products and had NO mechanical problems or problems with the dealer I used.
    I'm waiting for the dealer to call me when it arrives so I can test drive the Azera.
  • hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    You can now view the repair manual for the 2012 Azera on www.hmaservice.com
  • dfwharleydfwharley Member Posts: 1
    Like the bulk of you, I read the MT article and the Edmunds review, as well as looked at the Hyundai website before I saw this car in the flesh at a dealership this past Saturday. As the driver of a 2011 Acura TL (yes, the one with the beak), I can tell you that the Azera in person is pretty awesome. The front of it is a little too Sonata like, and the sheetmetal kink over the rear wheel wells is a bit too Buick -- however, as a whole, the car looks great. And the interior quality and tactile feel of the surfaces is good enough to convert a 4 time Acura owner. The car I saw lacked the Tech pkg, but I'm feeling this car is definitely in the fight for FWD near luxury buyers. I'm hoping that the ride is comparable to my TL.

I'll give myself another year, but this is looking like my next car.
    Beautiful car! I have a Lincoln MKT ( as well as an"06 Azera ), and can attest that Hyunda pilfered much of the interior design shapes and styles from that Lincoln. Heating /cooling vent design and shapes, cubby behind console, upswept side wings on the center stack, side window shades, and panoramic roof are all clones of the beautiful interior of the MKT.
    The exterior, though, is all Hyundai - and absolutely gorgeous. IMO, if they market these cars properly, they'll have trouble meeting demand.