Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Venza Tires

pfabuluspfabulus Member Posts: 4
I have standard Goodyear Eagle RSA tires on my 09 Venza V6 FWD (bought new in March 2010). I love the 20" tires but . . . . has anyone else experienced less than ideal handling in any amounts of snow or slush? I've had multiple vehicles over the years and have had ok handling in snow or better. This year has at least been normal here in Iowa, but this is the first winter for me driving the Venza and the handling has been so bad, that I'm either thinking of spending the money to get snow tires or just trading it in, taking my losses and get something else. I've white knuckled so many driving experiences, experiences that are normal winter driving here in Iowa (I'm 40 + years old and have lived in Iowa all my life, no stranger to winter driving), that I cringe when they talk snow. Is it just me, is it just the 20" tires on this vehicle, or is it the Goodyear tires, or is it Venza's as a whole?

Comments

• otolaotola Member Posts: 8
    Hi Sacha -

Like more of us lurking in the background, we are due replacing our car and the Venza is high on my list. I am considering the V6 but I have a real problem with the mandatory 20" wheels which are just (way) too big. I do hope that Toyota will change its mind and provide an option to "downgrade" to 19" or 18" which is much more suitable for this car, as attested by the 4 cylinder. Perhaps you can stress that to Toyota management...

Thanks!
  • toyotausa1toyotausa1 Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for the feedback about Venza. I'm taking notes here, and will pass along your concerns about the standard 20" wheels on the V6 and check to see if 19" wheels (standard on the 4-cylinder) are available for the V6 or will be in the future.

Best,

Sacha
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    For an "SUV", especially with F/awd wherein one more likely has the expectation of encountering adverse roadbed conditions, a 16" wheel, 17" MAX, with a tall sidewall tire and therefore a larger CSA contact patch would be a much more appropriate selection.

Is the wheel cost, $$, so much less than tire rubber that the Toyota beancounters are now dictating the safety factors to be built into your vehicles...??

Personally I would advise anyone driving this vehicle in wintertime adverse roadbed conditions to abandon those large wheels in favor of a smaller wheel and the appropriate wintertime tire tread to increase the safety factor.
  • jerryg3jerryg3 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Sacha,

Please don't make recommendations on the 20" wheels based on a few discordant opinions (they probably will never be happy with anything, so don't let them ruin it for the rest). The 20" wheels are awesome and they're one of the main reasons I bought my Venza!
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    I think the 20' wheels look great.But do they make a snow tire in 19" or 20", and what would they cost? I live in Northeast Ohio where the winters are very cold and snowy. I am retired and really can't afford to have two complete set of tires. You couldn't have 17" or 18" snow tire on the front and the 19" or 20" tires in the rear so you would have to have two complete set of wheels..

My neighbor replaced his 17" wheels with 22" wheels on his Chevy Blazer and it effected his speedometer by 3 or 4 miles per hour. I would assume going the other way ( larger wheels to smaller wheels ) would effect the speedometer the same way. This would also effect your mileage and warranty so I am not sure you would even want to do this anyway.
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Member Posts: 30
    Hear Hear, I second that motion!!!
    A plus or minus sized wheel/tire combination does not necessarily have an affect on odometer or speedometer accurracy, it depends on how closely you can match the running circumference of the new size with the OEM combination.

My '01 F/awd RX300 got upgraded to 1.5" wheel spacers all around, 17X8 wheels and the appropriate +1 tire shortly after purchase. Wider tread, more CSA, wider stance against rollover, and space for the use of rear tire chains instead of the patently UNSAFE tire chain method recommended, and limited too, by Toyota/Lexus. No discernable lack of accurracy of the odo or speedo in comparison to the GPS/Nav.

A larger wheel will almost always dictate a lower/shorter sidewall and that not only results in less traction but a stiffer ride unless the spring rate is lowered. What I was suggesting is a smaller wheel along with winter treads since ANY tire tread on a larger wheel will yeild less traction in wintertime conditions, conditions for which you bought a F/awd equipped vehicle.
  • md_outbackmd_outback Member Posts: 185
    Hey kenym,
    Checkout the tirerack.com as a good source for tires. They show a couple of 20 inch Blizzak winter tires, but they cost $240+ each. You are correct that you need to maintain overall tire diameter when changing wheel size or it will mess up your speedometer, odometer, cruise control and a few other sensors. Here is a nifty web site that calculates equivalent tire & wheel sizes link title (or copy & paste http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html if the link doesn't work). This will show that 245/50-20 and 245/55-19 and 245/60-18 all have the same 29.6 inch diameter. Just be careful when changing wheels to make sure they are compatible with your vehicle. And always use four matching tires, especially with winter tires - they are just as important for braking as they are for accelerating. In the past, I bought used wheels from tirerack and they mounted winter tires on them. That way, I saved money and was able to switch tires as the seasons changed.
  • linersliners Member Posts: 19
    I third that motion. 20 inch wheels are a hit!
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    Wait till you have to replace the 20"er's & see how happy you are then.
  • anry555anry555 Member Posts: 9
    and what? 120$ per tire...
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    I vote against 20"ers. They are not practicable for northern climates. Toyota should offer an alternative. Not everyone likes the new trend to hideously over sized wheels.
    That is my point. Keep 20" wheels for those who want to drive those oversized things but for the V6 at least make an option available to use a 19" or even 18". Then we can all pick what we want.
  • jerryg3jerryg3 Member Posts: 2
    Can't pay, don't buy the car, you probably can't afford it anyway.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The issue seems to be lack of choice and the reviews on available replacement tires are reportedly poor here and on the Tire Rack reviews. The same issue has come up about the Highlander. It's not a money issue, not that would give you any reason to attack someone on our forums anyway.
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    Running winter wheels instead of just the tires do involve a small upfront cost, but save money after about 2 years - it depends how long you'll keep the vehicle. The difference is that with wheels, you can do the change yourself for nothing if you are slightly mechanically inclined, or certain tire stores such as Costco will offer free tire rotations for life when you buy tires. Costco (here anyway)consider mounting winter wheels the same as rotation. Compare that to the $60-$80 you have to pay each time to mount and balance the summer/winter tires twice a year and the issue of increased wear and tear on alloy rims from repeated changeovers.
    That's a good point. However what's the cost of a set of 19 or 20" rims and do they even offer a snow tire in the low profile tires?
  • toyotausa1toyotausa1 Member Posts: 5
    I'm glad the 20" wheels are appealing to you! I'll pass along your feedback as well!
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    That's the point - run smaller wheels (as long as they clear the brakes) with higher profile winter tires. We've done that with our last 4 cars. All with the blessing of our dealers.
    If you are trying to make the other side of the argument, namely, "Why produce an AWD crossover that cannot easily be fitted with winter tires that don't cost a fortune?" then I do agree completely.
    When my neighbors son replaced his 17" wheels with 22" wheels on his Chevy Trail Blazer it effected his speedometer by 3 or 4 miles per hour which also effected the odometer. Which I would assume would also effect the warranty. Did you have the same problem when you went to smaller wheels?
    What about like $220.?
    Kind of a smart mouth, aren't you. As for ability to pay, already own 06 & 08 Avalon's. Might or might not buy the Venza; It's on my list to replace the 06 Avalon with 136,000 trouble free miles on it, but not real high on the list after driving it. It's not about affordability, It's all about value. Incidentally, what car do you drive & when Are you going to buy your Venza?
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    The issue seems to be lack of choice and the reviews on available replacement tires are reportedly poor here and on the Tire Rack reviews. The same issue has come up about the Highlander.

That's a misleading statement regarding the 20" tire. It's been stated multiple times: look at the options on tirerack.com. There are 8 replacement tire choices from 5 manufacturers ranging from a mediocre $99 Goodyear to a $268 Michelin (ironically, Toyota uses both for OEM). The others are in between. That's not exactly the "debacle" some have made it out to be.

On the other hand, the Venza 4-cyl and Highlander 19" tire (245/55-19) has only one replacement at tirerack.com at $172 each. I think the complaint about a lack of replacement options here is justified.

Looking at the Highlander's 17" tire (245/65-17), there are 51 choices. However, the cheapest -- a Firestone -- is $96 each. So the assumption that a smaller tire size (or more choices) leads to vastly cheaper replacements is not necessarily true.

I'll also add: I like the 20" wheels on my Venza. :)

Regarding the opinion that Toyota should have made a range of wheel sizes optional, that takes us back to trying to please everyone like the domestic auto makers tried with a thousand different option configurations. That's inefficient and expensive. The 20s won't please everyone, but Toyota went out on a limb and I'm glad they did.
    look at the options on tirerack.com

That's an interesting metric. There's 35 tires available at Tire Rack for my '99 minivan. There are 36 for my '97 wagon. Prices run from $50 to $128.

We've tire-kicked the FWD Matrix for a while now. The '09 Matrix offers two OEM sizes for the S FWD version. There's 150 tires available for it in the 205/55-16 size, starting around $62. And there's 64 available in the 215/45-17 size. The Matrix has been around for what, six years now?

8 is better than a couple of options, but how long should you expect to wait for a couple of dozen replacement tire options? And will the larger tire size always limit your options?

My '82 Tercel that I drove for 17 years had 13" tires and I remember replacing the whole set for well under $200, mounted, balanced, etc. Of course, Tire Rack carries zero tires that would fit it. :)
    There's 35 tires available at Tire Rack for my '99 minivan. There are 36 for my '97 wagon. Prices run from $50 to $128.

And that's great. If someone wants to make a buying decision between a '99 minivan and an '09 Venza based on the available number of tire replacement options, then I'd agree: the minivan wins.

My point is that the concerns about the replacement cost of the 20" tire should be driven by facts and not assumptions that the huge tire will be way more expensive than a smaller tire.
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    The advocates of the 20" tire are nay saying cost and availability justifying their stance seemingly because they like the "look". First off, I hate the look. To me this is just a fad(I won't go down that path to avoid offending some) and am surprised Toyota has gone in that direction.

I could be persuaded to adopt these over sized tires as acceptable if I could see what the advantage is. However in all the discussion I have not seen anyone explain what the benefits of these low profile oversize rims have including Toyota. The tires and rims are one of most important part of a vehicle for safety, ride quality and affordable replacement.

Advocates please list the actual benefits over a conventional size wheel and tire for all here, Sell me, thanks.
    There is no benefit to having 20" tires over 19" other than the oversized look; in fact, the ride quality gets worse. Just give those who want the V6 the option to choose between them rather than pushing the oversized wheels. I just don't get that - they have the 19" so it's not that they have to design a new set.

Cost is less important to me, tires seem to last quite a long time and regular maintenance costs are so high alraedy that that issue is relatively unimportant to me (I don't need snow tires). But ride quality is very important to me.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    The engineers that designed the Venza could have designed it for a more widely available tire size, but didn't. Most people, engineers and consumers alike, have never experienced the huge improvement in ride quality, traction, and noise that a really good set of tires can make. Many of us have, and we are concerned that Toyota has, perhaps unwittingly, blocked us from doing that.

I have all but written off the Venza 4-cylinder because of this. Michelin may add this size this summer. So, I'm now waiting for the 2010 Subaru Outback, although the Hyundai Elantra Sport may be a less-expensive option. The Matrix is smoother and quieter, but the Hyundai drives with a taut feel that the Matrix doesn't have.
    Please talk about Venza tires in here. Replacements, upgrades, winter tires, new rims, etc.

TPMS questions are welcome too.
  • mechfred2mechfred2 Member Posts: 2
    The lower the sidewall on a tire means less roll or sway on sharp turns.maybe toyota wanted this to get a good rating on rollover at speed.
    Tirerack indicates that there are only two 245/50-20 specialty winter tires available and both are in the $240 price range. Whereas if you downsize the wheel to fit a 225/70-16 tire then there are 4 available ranging from $75 to $135.

The even more interesting point is that should I wish to shod the V6 Venza with nice and quiet, comfortably riding, summer use only tires then according to Tirerack those do not exist AT ALL.

So if you want a nice and quiet, comfortably riding Venza, you might need to go all the way down to a 17" wheel.

Strange.
    Given that the heigth of the Venza is so much lower than the HL & RX I wouldn't think using tire size, OUTSIZED tire size, to overcome the propensity for rollover would be high on the priority list, certainly not high enough to justify this level of wheel/tire OUTSIZING.

I will not be considering the purchase of a Venza until I see the I4 adopt DFI, with the appropriate displacement downsizing and a CVT, or an HSD version, whichever comes first.

But should I purchase a Venza the wheels would immediately get downsized to say, 17X8, and shod with the quietest and most comfortably riding tires I can purchase.

No "boy-racer" mentality "here".
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    "Why produce an AWD crossover that cannot easily be fitted with winter tires that don't cost a fortune?"

Probably because Toyota has been so successful in the US that they are beginning to become too internally focused forgetting about the customer, just like GM did.
    Probably because Toyota has been so successful in the US that they are beginning to become too internally focused forgetting about the customer, just like GM did.

I hope Toyota avoids GMs mistake in trying to please everyone in every situation.

If you look at a lot of GM models, they offer 4 or 5 different wheel/tire choices. Just think of how many combinations there are, combined with multiple trim levels and other options.

Toyota went out on a limb with the standard 20-inch tire on a relatively low-volume vehicle. Not everyone is going to be happy. Moving on.
  • normvenza09normvenza09 Member Posts: 36
    For those who are considering to replace their tires and wheels, check this out
    http://www.tuningnews.net/photo_preview/081021a/22/toyota-venza-sportlux/
  • halwickhalwick Member Posts: 45
    Sasha,
    I hope you're passing along the negative feedback on the oversize 20" and lack of tire availability on the 19" tires as well. My tire dealer informs me there are only two brands on the market in the P245/55R19: Bridgestone and Toyo. And those tires are over $200 or more each! Why did the engineers pick those particular size rather than the more available 16", 17", or 18"?

Other comments: The 20" wheel rims look disproportionate large to the vehicle and personally I don't care for the "gangsta" style look. The 19" rims are somewhat better, but still disportionately large. Combined with the low profile 55 tires reminds me of the early 1920s-vintage automobile spoke wheels and tires.

Halwick
    "..Why did the engineers pick.."

Toyota's southern California engineering and styling design center, still the land of "fruits and NUTS".

And no disparagement of the gay community intended or implied.
  • verndogverndog Member Posts: 6
    I too like the 20" wheels. Just took delivery of the car today, and part of what attracted me to the car was the stance and look to the V6 model with 20's. I didn't really care for the large wheels in most applications prior to seeing this car either. I'm a 50 sumthin Crager / 69 Mach 1 owner and love the classic 15" wheels by nature.

My only gripe at this point...the amount of lead they had to use to balance the Eagle Tires on the car!! WOW...there must be a row of 10 leads on the worst tire (inside of wheel-- stick on weights)...that my friends is a sign of crappy tires, as I doubt the wheels are that far out. I'm pretty picky though...suppose I'll quit staring at that gob of weights some day.

Also...ride is very good IMO and on par to better then the 05 Accord I traded in with less road noise and nicer seat feel...BUT it was harsh at first so I checked the pressure, and the Dealer had 45 lbs in my 20" bricks! Dropped them to 34 and huge difference. Check your tire pressure if you have a harsh ride.
    Personally I would not accept delivery absent the dealer correcting a matter this serious.
  • verndogverndog Member Posts: 6
    Ya, except I didn't spot this issue until I got home. The problem is exagerated since the lead is concealed on the inner wheel where it can be "hidden"...except the fact there is no hiding since the spoke design opens the inner wheel to sight. I will see what can be done about it, the most on any other wheel is 4 (4 gram) leads. The car rides fine so it could be a double edge sword if I have them start messing with it. Prob. is there from an out or round tire knowing the issues I hear with many Goodyear tires.
    If the dealer isn't willing to swap out the tire I would contact Goodyear.

Or maybe contact Goodyear to get a cooperative adjustment.
  • 4wheelcycle4wheelcycle Member Posts: 2
    ToyotaUSA1,

Don't go to 19" wheels and tires on the Venza, go to 18".

The selection of available tires is much better in 18" than in 19" or 20". We just bought a new Venza and had to buy expensive aftermarket 18" wheels in order to find a decent selection of tires for the Venza. We needed tires that will handle better in the snow in northern NH than the stock tires that come with the car.
  • toyovenzatoyovenza Member Posts: 1
    TOYO OPEN COUNTRY H/T P-MET
    P245/55R19 OPEN CNTRY H/T 103S BLK

http://www.treadepot.com/tire/362850

Does someone know & have tested already?
  • hangdogithangdogit Member Posts: 5
    Just bought a V6 Venza last week and the 20"" wheels are fine. The car handles very well at all speeds and the large wheels help it handle bumps and RR tracks in a very sure-footed way -- excellent!
  • avalon02whavalon02wh Member Posts: 785
    We have completely written off the Venza as an option in the future because of the tires. I do not feel like hurting my back trying to change the tire!!!

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/crossover/163_0906_2009_ford_edge_2009_nissa- n_murano_2009_toyota_venza_comparison/venza_four_cylinder_and_unsprung_weight.ht- ml

Toyota needs to take the bozo that approved the tires and make them change all four wheels on about 1,000 Venzas as a penalty. :mad: And, the person should do about half in the rain on the side of a real interstate. The other 500 tire changes should be done here in North Dakota in January in the snow when the wind chills are 40 below.

Does the tire/wheel combo look good...No!
    Does it improve fuel economy...No!
    Does it improve handling or unsprung weight...No!
    Is this an example of Toyota losing focus...Yes! :lemon:

When it comes time to replace our Highlander we will be looking at the Outback/Forester . :P
    I think this is a prime example of marketing types focusing on youth trends, when in fact its people in their 40's and up that can afford to actually purchase many of the vehicles in this price range. Personally, I'm not interested in ghetto banger wheels that have expensive, hard to find tires. Hopefully, the management shake up at Toyota will correct this and make a more normal tire and wheel available on Venza and Highlander in addition to these large wheels. Why not cater to both size preferences?
  • robfilerobfile Member Posts: 9
    I must say that I'm one of those 40 something's that actually like the 20" wheels on the Venza.

They make the car look sporty and compared to my old crossover with smaller rims/tires the Venza rides much better.

Tires will go down in price and have better availability as time goes on. Initially this was a concern prior to purchase but I've seen these 20" tires as low as $90.00 and as high as $200.00 for the best quality which is in line to what I paid for tires on my mini-van.

If changing tires on the road has you concerned just consider the money saved in gas when comparing the Murano or Edge and apply that to a AAA roadside assistance plan.
  • avalon02whavalon02wh Member Posts: 785
    " apply that to a AAA roadside assistance plan. "

We tried AAA, then they left us stranded one night when it was -17 degrees out. The earliest they would get us a tow truck was 2 hours. The policeman was able to get us a tow truck in 15 minutes. When I asked the tow truck driver what the deal was he said AAA doesn't want to pay decent rates after 6:30 PM. So no more AAA.....

The policeman was great. While sitting in his car waiting for the tow truck he commented that the call just before mine was an attempted suicide. He ended up just grabbing the gun out of the person's hand. What a job they have....
  • md_outbackmd_outback Member Posts: 185
    robfile,
    I'm in agreement with you. I'm a grandfather and I like the look of the 20" wheels on my Venza. I also noticed that the TireRack has new Blizzaks priced in the $160 range, so the price of Venza-size tires is not unreasonable.

For avalon02wh, I'm not sure I agree with your arguments against the 20" wheels. I think they look good, they probably do handle better than smaller tires, and as far as the weight: when changing a tire in 40 below wind chill, does a 57 lb wheel go on any easier than a 67 lb wheel? In weather like that, I'd probably call AAA to change the tire on my granddaughter's tricycle. Wheel/tire combinations always involve compromises. While larger wheels add to unsprung weight, they also help achieve higher ground clearance without using the suspension components or taller tires to do this. This could lead to a lower center of gravity and better handling. Times and technology also change. Twenty-five years ago, folks said that 15 or 16 inch wheels and 60 series profile tires were only for exotic sports cars. Today that is a standard size on basic everyday sedans.
    To each his own, as they say. But I think if you eliminate the Venza from your list of potential new vehicles just because of wheel/tire size, you are eliminating one of the best overall vehicles in terms of style, utility, performance and value. Good luck in your search.

MD
    This isn't an one or the other proposition. I'm simply saying that Toyota should offer the big wheels for those who want them, but also a more conventional tire for those who do not. Big wheels may look good, but the lesser amount of rubber usually means a firmer ride and less traction in bad weather. The consumer should be given a choice.

As for expanded tire availability - maybe. There was a time when everyone followed GM, but today no one is dominant. Automobile competitors may choose not to offer these unique tire sizes. Less volume means less tire product will be available and prices on what is offered will remain relatively high. When an owner starts griping about what his tire replacement cost in the office, people may start to associate expensive upkeep with the Toyota brand. That can be a competive advantage to other makes.

The Venza is a nice car, but there are lots of good cars out there today. I own a Camry and like it, but I bought it because it didn't have a cost premium to similar products, otherwise I would have probably gone elsewhere. In the next few years the competition will only get stronger. If the Venza niche gains popularity, there will be plenty of products to choose from in a few years with similar quality. Toyota makes good vehicles, but it no longer rules "quality" and can no longer get huge price premiums or take actions that disregard the consumer. That is how GM got into its current pickle.