Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited October 2011
    The first scheduled service for your 2011 Equinox is at 10,000 miles. The dealer wants you in early to generate extra profit.

2011 Chevrolet Equinox Maintenance Schedule

Go get the tire fixed and wait for the rest, and beware the upsell. Service writers typically work on commission and will try to get you to do stuff that doesn't need to be done.

Confessions From the Dealership Service Department
  • roykulproykulp Member Posts: 52
    I have my oil changed every 3000 - 3500 miles; oil is cheap and if there are any recalls or other service needs this is the time to get it done. I own a 2010 nox with 37000 miles and no real issues to speak of.
  • roykulproykulp Member Posts: 52
    You Should Go For it or take a Bus
  • jonoxjonox Member Posts: 100
    Steve,

With due respect, given the problems reported here by 2010/11 Equinox owners I believe it would be wise to change the oil in these vehicles more frequently.

Reliance on the engine oil life system as stated in the owner's manual could mean up to a year between oil changes. This worked fine for me for the five years I owned a 2005 Equinox with its cast iron Chinese V6 but probably not so much with the current breed of all aluminum, fuel injected, variable valve timed engines.

Under normal driving conditions 2010/2011 Equinox owners would be doing themselves a favour by changing oil and filter every 6 months or 7500 miles (which is GM's recommended tire rotation milage). For severe operating conditions the O/F change interval might be reduced even further.

I'm currently driving a 2.4L Mitsubishi Outlander with a motor very similar to the 2.4L Equinox (all aluminum, fuel injection variable timing etc.) for severe Canadian driving conditions the recommended O/F change interval is 3750 miles or 3 months whichever occurs first and the 10 year drive train warranty could be contingent on this.
    edited October 2011
    I'm on a 7,500 (or longer) interval on my '99 minivan, and it's lived in an Anchorage winter, ten Boise summers (hitting 105 regularly) and now it's in the UP of Michigan, another balmy winter spot. :shades: Always use dead dino that's on sale at NAPA or Walmart, and it's running strong at 168,000 miles (just drove it to NFLD 2 months ago).

YMMV, but Nissan hasn't changed those VE/VG engines all that much over the decade and I bet GM's engineering and metallurgy has gotten better over the years.

Top 7 Urban Legends About Motor Oil

Oil Life Monitoring Systems

Stop Changing Your Oil

If you don't think you can stop changing your oil, you should at least get it analysed. That's about the same price as an oil change and it's more fun than crawling under the SUV and dumping perfectly good oil into the recycling jug.

What's Your Engine Oil Telling You?
  • jonoxjonox Member Posts: 100
    Hi Steve,

I don't think you can compare 1999 engine requirements with the new engine technologies and materials we're talking about here, particularly given the problems being reported by such significant numbers of new Equinox owners.

Your references make interesting reading but I'm with "roykulp" on this one. ;)
    Look around our forums. Every make and model has a "problems" discussion. Owners who don't have issues don't tend to post, unfortunately. I guess it's not too interesting to take 5 minutes and post "my Nox is running fine and has no issues". :shades:

Edmunds uses Identifix for reliability ratings (as does MSN and other sites). Take a look at the history that's available - all "minimal problems".

Reliability Rating for 2011 Chevrolet Equinox by Identifix
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    I’m glad you’ve been well taken care of at your dealership! If Customer Assistance can help with any further questions, please email Christina with your name, contact information, VIN, and dealer name.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Great to hear that your Equinox is running well after the recall was repaired.

For mountain driving, one thing that the owner’s manual recommends is putting the vehicle in low gear when you’re going down a long or steep hill. This will be much easier on your brakes.

Hope your trip is safe and enjoyable,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    My recommendation would be to go with your owner’s manual.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • txbuckhunttxbuckhunt Member Posts: 1
    I totally understand. My wife has a 2011 Eqionox and it is beginning to be trouble. Has always made a weird noice at start up. Now it is in the shop because it dies out and engine light came on. They put a cam positioning sensor in and now they say they might have to take motor out and mess with the timing chain. This is crap. The whole reason we bought a new vehicle is to not have to worry about this kind of crap. And the gas mileage is not worth a crap. We will be lucky to get 19mpg out of it. We are very dissapointed
    Txbuckhunt,

I’m sorry to hear that your Equinox has been in the shop so much and that it hasn’t been satisfactory for you. If Customer Assistance can help you work with your dealer towards resolving this, please email Christina with your name, contact information, VIN, and dealer name.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • angrychevyangrychevy Member Posts: 7
    Today I got in my 2011 chevy equinox to drive home and the Malfunction Indicator Lamp came on.....Yippeee......only 12,000 miles and I have an issue. I bought a new car for a reason, to have no issues. I called the dealer and they said if they can fix it in a few hours I get no rental car, but if they need it overnight they will provide me one?????ON A NEW VEHICLE.......
    I am very angered at this. I have a job and a life to live. I mean really???? REALLY THIS IS THE WAY THE NEW GM OPERATES?

MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP
    From the chevy manual:
    If the vehicle is continually driven with this light on, after a while(what the heck is a while?????????????) the emission controls might not work as well, the vehicle fuel economy might not be as good, and the engine might not run as smoothly. This could lead to costly repairs that might not be covered by the vehicle warranty.
    So its a Tuesday, November 1, 2011 and my dealer cannot get me in until Monday, November 7th at 8:30 am..........and then I have to sit and wait to see if I get a loaner car........in the meantime my life is inconvenienced, but no big deal to the "NEW GM"
    I'M VERY DISAPPOINTED GM.......
    I WILL NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE TO BUY A GM CAR....
    THIS IS A HUGE INCONVENIENCE WHILE I MAKE MY NEW CAR PAYMENT........SHAME ON YOU!

:mad:
  • cindiola03cindiola03 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks! They've had the car about 2 weeks and they are now test driving it. Maybe I'll be picking it up soon. I'm looking forward to improved gas mileage too.
    I can understand why you’re frustrated – it isn’t convenient to take time out of a busy schedule to address a vehicle concern. If Customer Assistance can help you work with your dealership towards getting this concern resolved, please email Christina (socialmedia@gm.com) with your name, contact information, VIN, and involved dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Re: Recalls & Service Bulletin MASTER List
    « Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 06:08:47 PM »

As suggested, this thread is exclusively for the posting of TSB or Recall information for the Terrain and Equinox.

Here is where we stand thus far:

Campaign 11195 has been superceeded by Recall 11195A

Per GM:
    This bulletin has been revised to include parts, service procedure, and labor time for
    repairs to customer vehicles. Please discard all copies of bulletin 11195, issued June

Recall 11195A applies to:
    2011 Buick LaCrosse, Regal
    2011 Chevrolet Equinox
    2011 GMC Terrain
    Equipped with a 2.4L Gas Engine (LAF)

Other pertinent data from the Recall:
    Please read Line Item #5  
    This simply notes the States whose Emission Laws require that an Emission Recall Correction Sticker must be afixed to the vehicle upon completion of the work.  Please note that in addition to the sticker, in California a Certificate of completion is also required...as noted at the bottom of the Recall notice.

Line Item #5 should NOT be construed as to limit the scope of correction to those states.  That is why it is listed after the repair procedures.

CONDITION
    General Motors has decided to conduct a Voluntary Emission Recall involving certain 2011
    Buick LaCrosse, Regal; Chevrolet Equinox; and GMC Terrain vehicles equipped with a 2.4L
    gas engine (LAF). On these vehicles, the camshaft position actuator solenoid may stick,
    resulting in the illumination of the malfunction indicator light, rough idle, poor driveability,
    and/or possible stalling at low throttle opening.

CORRECTION
    Dealers are to reprogram the engine control module, and if necessary, replace the camshaft
    position actuator solenoid valves.
    VEHICLES INVOLVED
    Involved are certain 2011 model year Buick LaCrosse, Regal; Chevrolet Equinox; and GMC
    Terrain vehicles equipped with a 2.4L gas engine (LAF).
    Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the
    Required Field Actions section in the Global Warranty system. Not all vehicles
    may be involved.
    For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete
    vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared
    and will be provided to US and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall
    Page 2 August 2011 Bulletin No.: 11195A
    Reports, or sent directly to export dealers. Dealers will not have a report available if they
    have no involved vehicles currently assigned.
    The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle
    Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other
    than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several
    states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the
    follow-up necessary to complete this recall.
    PART INFORMATION
    Parts required to complete this recall are to be obtained from General Motors Customer Care
    and Aftersales (GMCC&A). Please refer to your “involved vehicles listing” before ordering
    parts. Normal orders should be placed on a DRO = Daily Replenishment Order. In an
    emergency situation, parts should be ordered on a CSO = Customer Special Order.
    Part Number Description Quantity/Vehicle
    12628347 Valve, Cm/Shf Posn Actr Int Sol 1 (If Req'd)
    12628348 Valve, Cm/Shf Posn Actr Exh Sol 1 (If Req'd)
    SERVICE PROCEDURE
    1. Determine the vehicle status.
     If the vehicle is still in dealer inventory, reprogram the ECM with the latest calibration.
    Refer to ECM Programming in this bulletin. Do NOT replace the camshaft position
     If the vehicle has been delivered to the customer, reprogram the ECM and replace the
    camshaft position actuator solenoid valves. Refer to Engine Controls - Camshaft
    Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement in SI.
    ECM Programming
    Do not attempt to order the calibration number from GM Customer Care and Aftersales. The
    calibration numbers required for this service procedure are programmed into control modules
    via a Multiple Diagnostic Interface (MDI) or Tech 2® diagnostic scan tool and TIS2WEB with
    the calibration update. Use TIS2WEB on or after 6/23/11 to obtain the calibration. If you
    cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center at 1-800-828-6860
    (English) or 1-800-503-3222 (French) and it will be provided. Make sure your Tech 2®
    diagnostic scan tool is updated with the latest software version or verify that the multiple
    diagnostic interface (MDI) that is being used is configured to the PC that will be used. Clear
    any codes and verify the condition has been corrected.
    For step-by-step programming instructions, please refer to SI and the Techline Information
    System (TIS) terminal.
    1. Verify that there is a battery charge of 12 to 15 volts. The battery must be able to
    maintain a charge during programming. Only use an approved Midtronics® PSC 550
    Battery Maintainer (SPS Programming Support Tool EL-49642) or equivalent to maintain
    proper battery voltage during programming.
    Page 3 August 2011 Bulletin No.: 11195A
    2. Reprogram the engine control module (ECM). Refer to SI and Service Programming
    System (SPS) documentation for programming instructions, if required.
    2.1 Connect the MDI to the vehicle. Connect the MDI to the programming terminal with
    a cable (USB or LAN).
    2.2 Select J2534 MDI and Reprogram ECU from the Select Diagnostic Tool and
    Programming Process screen.
    2.3 Select ECM Engine Control Module—Programming from the Supported Controllers
    screen.
    2.4 Follow the on-screen instructions.
    3. Clear all DTCs.
    4. If the vehicle has been delivered to the customer, replace the camshaft position actuator
    solenoid valves. Refer to Engine Controls - Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve
    Replacement in SI.
    5. CALIFORNIA, CONNECTICUT, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, OREGON,
    VERMONT, & WASHINGTON vehicles only: Install a Recall Identification Label.
    RECALL IDENTIFICATION LABEL - California/Connecticut/Maryland/Massachusetts/Maine/
    Oregon/Vermont/Washington Vehicles Only
    Place a Recall Identification Label on each vehicle corrected in accordance with the
    instructions outlined in this Product Recall Bulletin. Each label provides a space to include
    the recall number and the five-digit dealer code of the dealer performing the recall service.
    This information may be inserted with a ballpoint pen.
    Put the Recall Identification Label on a clean and dry surface of the
    radiator core support in an area that will be visible to people servicing
    the vehicle.
    When installing the Recall Identification Label, be sure to pull the tab to &

As suggested, this thread is exclusively for the posting of TSB or Recall information for the Terrain and Equinox.

Per GM:
    This bulletin has been revised to include parts, service procedure, and labor time for
    &#1#09;
    allow adhesion of the clear protective cover
  • mcgermmcgerm Member Posts: 21
    My 2011 Equinox is going back tomorrow for the third try at the recall work. This will actually be the 6th trip into the shop for the same issue, but the dealer considered 3 of those times as diagnosis only not repair.

The 1st repair was the exhaust acuator, the second time the ECM, and this time the intake actuator will be replaced.
    Mcgerm,

I’m sorry to hear about the concerns you’ve been encountering with your new Equinox. Thank you for your patience in working with us towards a resolution – can we be of any assistance in helping you work with your dealership? Please email us your name and VIN and possibly with an update on how your dealership visit today went.

Thanks in advance,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I had my equinox in yesterday for the same issue. They did however do the all of the work at once
    Replaced the camshaft exhaust acuator, replaced the camshaft intake actuator and recalibrated the ECM. The bulletin 11195A should be sent out to all GM 2011 chevy owners in my opinion. We should be notifed to bring the vehicle in for service and they should be performing the updates instead of waiting for customers to become angry and inconvenienced.
    GM why are you not addressing this?

Per GM:
    repairs to customer vehicles. Please discard all copies of bulletin 11195, issued June

Recall 11195A applies to:
    2011 Buick LaCrosse, Regal
    2011 Chevrolet Equinox
    2011 GMC Terrain
    Equipped with a 2.4L Gas Engine (LAF)

Other pertinent data from the Recall:
    Please read Line Item #5  
    This simply notes the States whose Emission Laws require that an Emission Recall Correction Sticker must be afixed to the vehicle upon completion of the work.  Please note that in addition to the sticker, in California a Certificate of completion is also required...as noted at the bottom of the Recall notice.

Line Item #5 should NOT be construed as to limit the scope of correction to those states.  That is why it is listed after the repair procedures.

CONDITION
    General Motors has decided to conduct a Voluntary Emission Recall involving certain 2011
    Buick LaCrosse, Regal; Chevrolet Equinox; and GMC Terrain vehicles equipped with a 2.4L
    gas engine (LAF). On these vehicles, the camshaft position actuator solenoid may stick,
    resulting in the illumination of the malfunction indicator light, rough idle, poor driveability,
    and/or possible stalling at low throttle opening.

CORRECTION
    Dealers are to reprogram the engine control module, and if necessary, replace the camshaft
    position actuator solenoid valves.
    VEHICLES INVOLVED
    Involved are certain 2011 model year Buick LaCrosse, Regal; Chevrolet Equinox; and GMC
    Terrain vehicles equipped with a 2.4L gas engine (LAF).
    Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the
    Required Field Actions section in the Global Warranty system. Not all vehicles
    may be involved.
    For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete
    vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared
    and will be provided to US and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall
    Page 2 August 2011 Bulletin No.: 11195A
    Reports, or sent directly to export dealers. Dealers will not have a report available if they
    have no involved vehicles currently assigned.
    The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle
    Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other
    than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several
    states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the
    follow-up necessary to complete this recall.
    PART INFORMATION
    Parts required to complete this recall are to be obtained from General Motors Customer Care
    and Aftersales (GMCC&A). Please refer to your “involved vehicles listing” before ordering
    parts. Normal orders should be placed on a DRO = Daily Replenishment Order. In an
    emergency situation, parts should be ordered on a CSO = Customer Special Order.
    Part Number Description Quantity/Vehicle
    12628347 Valve, Cm/Shf Posn Actr Int Sol 1 (If Req'd)
    12628348 Valve, Cm/Shf Posn Actr Exh Sol 1 (If Req'd)
    SERVICE PROCEDURE
    1. Determine the vehicle status.
     If the vehicle is still in dealer inventory, reprogram the ECM with the latest calibration.
    Refer to ECM Programming in this bulletin. Do NOT replace the camshaft position
     If the vehicle has been delivered to the customer, reprogram the ECM and replace the
    camshaft position actuator solenoid valves. Refer to Engine Controls - Camshaft
    Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement in SI.
    ECM Programming
    Do not attempt to order the calibration number from GM Customer Care and Aftersales. The
    calibration numbers required for this service procedure are programmed into control modules
    via a Multiple Diagnostic Interface (MDI) or Tech 2® diagnostic scan tool and TIS2WEB with
    the calibration update. Use TIS2WEB on or after 6/23/11 to obtain the calibration. If you
    cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center at 1-800-828-6860
    (English) or 1-800-503-3222 (French) and it will be provided. Make sure your Tech 2®
    diagnostic scan tool is updated with the latest software version or verify that the multiple
    diagnostic interface (MDI) that is being used is configured to the PC that will be used. Clear
    any codes and verify the condition has been corrected.
    For step-by-step programming instructions, please refer to SI and the Techline Information
    System (TIS) terminal.
    1. Verify that there is a battery charge of 12 to 15 volts. The battery must be able to
    maintain a charge during programming. Only use an approved Midtronics® PSC 550
    Battery Maintainer (SPS Programming Support Tool EL-49642) or equivalent to maintain
    proper battery voltage during programming.
    Page 3 August 2011 Bulletin No.: 11195A
    2. Reprogram the engine control module (ECM). Refer to SI and Service Programming
    System (SPS) documentation for programming instructions, if required.
    2.1 Connect the MDI to the vehicle. Connect the MDI to the programming terminal with
    a cable (USB or LAN).
    2.2 Select J2534 MDI and Reprogram ECU from the Select Diagnostic Tool and
    Programming Process screen.
    2.3 Select ECM Engine Control Module—Programming from the Supported Controllers
    screen.
    2.4 Follow the on-screen instructions.
    3. Clear all DTCs.
    4. If the vehicle has been delivered to the customer, replace the camshaft position actuator
    solenoid valves. Refer to Engine Controls - Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve
    Replacement in SI.
    5. CALIFORNIA, CONNECTICUT, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, OREGON,
    VERMONT, & WASHINGTON vehicles only: Install a Recall Identification Label.
    RECALL IDENTIFICATION LABEL - California/Connecticut/Maryland/Massachusetts/Maine/
    Oregon/Vermont/Washington Vehicles Only
    Place a Recall Identification Label on each vehicle corrected in accordance with the
    instructions outlined in this Product Recall
  • sumr616sumr616 Member Posts: 90
    DO NOT let them take the motor out just yet!!!

Tell them to check if your vehicle qualifies for RECALL 11195A - if your build date is in the range of Feb '11 - may '11, it's possible. This will fix your engine light and stalling issues. The same repairs are also covered under PI0496, this bulletin was just issued before they made it a full blown RECALL. Have them look at both, it requires replacement of the cam positioning sensors (TWO of them, which are also referred to as solenoid valves, or a variation of that) AND a computer update. THIS ECM UPDATE IS VITAL TO THE SUCCESS OF THE REPAIR - BOTH MUST BE DONE AT THE SAME TIME.

Service bulletin PI0562 addresses the start-up noise you may be experiencing- this work involves replacing the Actuators (part number 12621505). I will stress that these parts are DIFFERENT than the parts in the RECALL bulletin (those parts are also sometimes referred to as the actuators, it's stupid, go by part numbers to avoid confusion).

Have them look at BOTH of these bulletins!!! It's also wise to go ahead and do an oil change at the same time, this is to clear out any debris that may be in the oil from these parts getting damaged. Oil change is most likely going to be paid by YOU though, just keep that in mind, but it helps a LOT int he success rate.
    Because of the problems a LOT of people have had on debris in the oil from normal engine break-in, a lot of people will suggest that you should get the oil changed every 3-5,000 miles for the first couple of changes. That's what many have been doing. And by debris, I mean metal shavings that can be seen by the naked eye, and many people have posted pictures of their oil filters with metal shavings in between the pleats of the filter.

I personally don't think that any vehicle should ever go 12,000 miles before you get an oil change. I'll be sticking with every 5,000 miles or so.
    I read something somewhere, no idea where, somewhere in warranty documents, that if they keep if for longer than 2 hours, you get a loaner/rental. Not totally sure though. I know that if the dealer has a loaner on hand, they're more likely to let you drive it, as compared to setting you up with a rental car.

HOWEVER - about your check engine light.... call them up ASAP and ask them to check if your car is qualified for the RECALL 11195A, they can verify this by pulling up your VIN in their system. The affected vehicles are usually between build dates of Feb '11 - May '11.... If this is the case, it is likely that your check engine light will be for code(s) P0011 and/or P0014. Please note, you don't have to have both lights lit.

Do you still have your OnStar trial? Push the button and ask them to run a diagnostic on your car. When I was going through this issue, they told me that it was for "emissions" and that I could be experiencing a "rough idle, poor driveability" and it's possible that your car can stall at a low throttle opening. Meaning, your car might stall when you accelerate from a stop.

You should be able to drive to your dealership and request that they check your engine light now, it only takes a few minutes. If your car is covered by the Recall, get a rental/loaner until it is fixed. It's likely that they'll have to order the parts. And you ARE guaranteed a rental/loaner while they wait for these parts, especially if you're getting a check engine light, it's possible your car could be stalling soon. Mine stalled after only a few days after the first time my check engine light came on.
    This is a shame. It CLEARLY states in the recall, that all steps MUST be performed. I honestly don't know why they didn't do it right the first time around. Sounds like a bad dealer to me.

The post right after yours is the recall notice, in it's entirety, I suggest reading through it, for you own informational purposes. For the recall, they should be replacing both the INTAKE and the EXHAUST actuator solenoid valves. Not just one or the other. AND it's VITAL to the integrity of these parts, that the ECM update is done at the SAME TIME as the replacement of the parts. It is the programming itself that is causing damage to these parts. It's possible that the other solenoid will be damaged and you'll only continue to have problems. If you can't talk your dealer into replacing both of the actuators again, then I would call another dealer, even if you have to drive an hour to get to them. It's a shame that they can't follow the simple instructions of the recall notice.
  • mcgermmcgerm Member Posts: 21
    I should already be in your system but everyone thought it was fixed after the ECM work so it was closed. The dealer said they were in touch with GM to get approval for the work that they did do today.

It just takes so long between attempts. I take it in and they find that they need to do something and then it is 2-4 weeks for them to get parts and then a few more days to schedule a visit.

I have ranted on this board in previous posts, but all I want is for it to be fixed. I bought the Equinox because I had a 2010 as a rental last winter and liked it. I drove it through lake effect snow, on highways, and in Chicago for a week, and decided it was on my short list for a new vehicle.

I still like the car I just want this to get cleared up.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Thank you for the response, mcgerm.

It’s understandable that you want for your vehicle concerns to be cleared up, and I sincerely hope that you are able to achieve this through your current dealer. I would love to know how things turn out and am looking forward to an update.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • katph062000katph062000 Member Posts: 19
    edited November 2011
    I own a 2011 Equinox. It has 7000miles on it. It started having issues months back. I took it in for the first recall after the car started stalling on me and barely putting along. Gas Mileage was and still is HORRIBLE. They adjusted the computer settings with the first recall. Since then, every time I start it up, it rattles, right after the car sits for 3-4 hrs. It sounds like the muffler is coming off only it's in the motor somewhere. It last for 3-4 seconds then stops. I took it back in. They pulled up the bulletin and replaced my camshaft Aer's then cracked my O rings in the process so those had to be replaced. Well, picked it from that and the next week, the car died on me at a traffic light and the engine light came on after it started right back up. Once I hit 30-40 miles, it was putting at times. It was on for 2 days. I took it back to the dealer; they hooked it up, put 30 miles on it and said they could not duplicate the issue. Nothing reading on the computer at all. I have had my car in the shop 4 times now in the last month. I am beside myself and considering getting an attorney. I have my car back now, started it up at lunch and the rattling is back for 3-4 seconds when started. . Once the CA's were replaced, it stopped for 2 weeks. Now, it's back. I have lost time from work, my life is being affected. The stress is killing me. The Guys at the dealership are so nice to me but I am so tired of seeing them. I am worried the car will stop on me with my daughter in the car and we will get hit. When it stopped on me before, I was almost hit in the back as it was dark and I didnt realize it had died as it was still in drive. I have to call the Dealer back today and take it back in. I dont think this will ever stop.
    I am very sorry to hear about your multiple vehicle concerns. I see that you’re working with a dealership for this concern already – can we follow up with you? Please email us with your name and contact information, as well as your VIN and involved dealership.

Thanks in advance,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Sarah: I will get my VIN as soon as i get back to my car. My Dealership is Tom Bannen Rivergate, TN and I am taking it back Monday to drop it off. They are always eager to help me so no complaints there.
  • cmesmile32cmesmile32 Member Posts: 14
    For those of you that watch this growing blog, you have seen me post many times over the past 3 months! We have finally got our buyback of our 2011 Equinox, it has been a very long 3 month process and it took getting an attorney involved because we had a dealer that refused to help us, but we now have a 2012 that I love! It is already getting 30 mpg (interstate driving), checked manually, not just going by the computer and handles completely different than the 2011 we had. It did not cost us a dime, we are only paying what was left on the 2011 we had. This one has a lot of upgrades from the LS we had. Hopefully, it will not turn out to be a lemon! For anyone that is suffering with all of the mechanical issues, do not give up, they will buy yours back and make it right, you have to be persistent and VERY patient. :lemon:
  • missdaisy1944missdaisy1944 Member Posts: 14
    GMCUSTSVC/SARA..I had the recall 11195 done. Can you tell me if I need the 11195A they are talking about.
  • t4r4met4r4me Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2011 4 cyl with 7800 miles and I think the death rattle you mention isn't something to get overly concerned about. It happens to me once and a while. I will say I JUST had the check engine light come on and then a stall as I turned into a parking spot. So I will need to get that looked at and I'll let ya know. FWIW this equinox has actually completely impressed me on every level. I had a 1st generation and it had zero problems. This one has been awesome until this little stallage. So we shall see.
    I feel for you. I have been through the exact same repairs as you, the recall work, and the actuators. I even had the stalling and check engine light that you have now. AND - after fixing those problems, the car worked GREAT for a few months, but now the start-up noise has come back, and now I've begun to notice that same kind of drag as I accelerate, like what happened around the time I had the check engine lights.

My engine codes for the light were P0011 and P0014. Those are both for faulty solenoid valves (the parts that are involved in the recall). I'm assuming these were the codes that showed on your computer? My light came on a total of three times: the first and second time, it was only code P0011, and the third time it was both P0011 AND P0014.

There are actually a couple of us over at equinoxforum.net that are in the same situation as you and I. You should drop by that forum too, there is much more discussion over there, a more user-friendly forum, I try to spread the same information over here also. Go to the thread titled, "Issues with 2011 Terrain"...we discuss both the Equinox and Terrain in that thread. It's about 115 pages long, but it's a very active forum.

For others here - the Recall (recall #11195) applies to a certain build range of 2011 Equinox/Terrains, with the 4 cyl engine. It states that it's for emissions concerns, but the problems you would be experiencing are a rough idle, poor driveability, and possible stalling at a low throttle opening (like driving slow in a parking lot, or accelerating from a stop). They would update the ECM and replace the solenoid valves. These two steps MUST be done at the same time in order for the repair to be successful! MUST!!

If you still have the start-up noise after the recall work is done, they should be looking at PI0496 and replacing the cam actuators. These are sometimes confused with the solenoid valves, because they are often both called the "actuators", however they are different parts than what are in the recall.

HEED THIS WARNING - It seems, from other's experiences, that if yours stalls at low speeds, your problem *may* still be fixable as long as you have the right dealer that actually TRIES to fix it. HOWEVER - if it stalls at higher speeds, like on the highway, then you should file for lemon law as soon as you can, if possible. The two people that I've heard of that had this happen, each repair that their dealer attempted only made the problems worse, and by worse, I mean, the car couldn't be driven for 10 minutes without stalling. Just my two cents.
    The problem with the start-up noise (like you're experiencing), is that it progresses to the point that the noise can happen every day, multiple times a day, and can lead to engine stalling, check engine lights, and poor mileage. I personally experienced all of the above over the summer, had the recall done and actuators replaced, problems went away and mileage normalized, and NOW THE NOISE IS BACK.

For me, by bad mileage, I mean that I got 16 miles to the gallon with highway driving. FAR cry from the 28 mpg that I got AFTER the repairs. (speeds of 70 mph on the highway)

Read my post immediately above this for more explanation on the Recall and service bulletin PI0496.

Unfortunately, you often have to be the one to bring the bulletin PI0496 to the attention of your dealer. You have to be your own advocate.
    The 11195A is exactly the same as 11195. The "A" was only added when they released an update, and the only thing they added to the bulletin in this update was a short paragraph that said that both steps must be completed. Dealers do not have the option of "deciding" whether or not the solenoid valves and/or ECM update need to be done. The point being, if your vehicle qualifies for the recall, then they MUST replace BOTH of the solenoid valves AND perform the ECM update.

Hope that helps.
    Good to know! Glad it worked out! Be sure to report back in a few weeks/months and let us know how you're enjoying the 2012!

This week I'm going back to the dealer with mine, after all of the correct repairs, the problems disappeared for 3 months and 4,000 miles, and now the start-up noise has started up again. So, the verdict is still out for me...

My husband is deployed right now, so I'm trying to handle this on my own. Unfortunately, GM doesn't have the same persistence as I do. It's a shame. They should fix all of their cars so that they all run as expected. I am tired of worrying that I'll be stranded somewhere by myself because my car might stall on me and get to the point that it's unsafe to drive. We'll see, I'll be sure to report back with how it goes.
  • gmsucksbigtimegmsucksbigtime Member Posts: 4
    I'm glad things are looking up for you and your situation. I finally got a call back from my attorney and GM is buying back my vehicle but I'm worried about what I may have to pay out of pocket for my "user's fee." I don't want my payment to go up either. I'm a little nervous going into this but I just hope my dealership makes it right. I'm very hesitant to get back into another Equinox but every other GM make is too expensive for me....I hope everything continues to work out for you.
    Missdaisy1944,

This is a good question. Essentially, the 11195 and the 11195A recalls are the same thing, the “A” denotes an update for service personnel. If you would like for me to look into your vehicle specifically, please email us the last 8 digits of your vehicle’s VIN and we’d be happy to do that!

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • meinazmeinaz Member Posts: 2
    My 2011 died in my driveway in July at about 4000k miles. It was the engine control module, which was replaced after 6 days in the shop. This morning, a very scary thing happened when it stopped working while I was turning into my son's school. Luckily I was only going about 15 mph, but a woman was turning and the same time and nearly rear-ended me as a sat dead in the water. I restarted the car and was able to pull it over to the side of the road, barely. Onstar says it's the engine control module again. I know from reading here that this is not an uncommon problem, but I am scared to drive this car now.

How do I go about contacting customer care? I need to get this resolved.
    Meinaz,

I’m sorry to hear about the concerns you’re having with your 2011 Equinox. To contact us, please send us an email at the address listed in my profile here with your name/user name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and the name of your involved dealership.

Looking forward to assisting,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    T4f4me

Glad to hear that you have overall been happy with your vehicle! If we can ever be of assistance, please contact us via email with your information.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Sumr616,

Please keep us updated on your progress at the dealership. If Customer Assistance can help you work with your dealership towards resolving this concern, or if you would like for us to look into warranty/recall information on your vehicle, please contact us via email with your name/username, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and involved dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • auntiep22auntiep22 Member Posts: 29
    I've had this second Equinox LTZ and just turned 7500 miles on it the other day. The mileage has been so radical that it's not funny anymore! The best was 32 mpg with the cruise control on during a trip when I had only about 3700 miles on it. The mileage has been bouncing around from about 27.4 down to 12.7mpg - more in the 15mpg range most of the time. Is anyone experiencing the same? I'm so disappointed with GM that I would never recommend a GM car and I have always been a GM person. This is my 7th Chevy and I have to be honest and say that the other 2011 Nox that I had and this one are worst cars ever to be made by GM! I am one unhappy camper to say the least. Has anyone put any kind of additives in the gas to see if that would help and if so, what? I'm tired of going to the gas station every week and paying $3.79/gal. Come on GM, you need to do something for us little guys out here who bought these vehicles in good faith and they are a piece of crap!
  • kantookantoo Member Posts: 9
    We settle on our buy back tomorrow. The calculation I was told by GM for the "user fee" was current mileage / 100000 X Purchase price (ex. 7500/100000 X 28500 = 2137), however, when I recieved the "official" settlement document the fee was only about 2/3 of that calculation. Good luck with everything.
  • bri80bri80 Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday I went to fill up with gas and when I came back out the gas attendant was having a hard time filling my car. Every 5 to 10 seconds the pump would stop and have to be started up again. This went on for 15 minutes. The next time I started my car my malfunction indicator light came on. I opened the gas cap and a huge push of air was released and so I put the cap back in hopes the issue was over, but it was not. I have opened the cap up about 4 times with the same pressure build-up. And now my auto-start will not work either. Are the two issues dependent of each other? And is the build-up of pressure a serious issue or will it go away with my next fill-up?
    Bri80,

I’m sorry to hear about this interesting concern you’re having with your gas tank. Are you already working with a dealership? If Customer Assistance can help you work with your dealership towards resolving this concern, or if you would like for us to look into warranty/recall information on your vehicle, please contact us via email with your name/username, contact information, and VIN.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jennifer123jennifer123 Member Posts: 2
    i am having the same issues! i have had mine 7 months, and its been in the shop already 5 times. it started missing really bad and shaking..took it in today and they said it was the timing chain, and cam shaft automaters. i just had it in there a few weeks ago because one of the cylinoids was corroded. this is a bunch of crap. pay 26,000 for a car that runs worse than the 2002 car i traded in for this one. i have always loved gm cars, but this has put a real sour taste in my mouth
  • jennifer123jennifer123 Member Posts: 2
    i also talked to them about trading mine for a 6cyl. and they were willing to do it but it would leave me upside down! i bought my 2011 equinox for 26,000 and have paid it down to 21,000, and for me to get a new 6 cyl they said i would owe 32,000 total with my car trade! this is BS! that would mean all my hard work on paying the other one down was a waste and would have to be even higher up on payoff..now way! i am so irritated with gm right now i could spit fire! having a brand new car that is as we speak in the shop for the 7 time with a bad timing chain is totally uncalled for. im taking others advice on here and consulting an attorny
    The VIN number is 2CNALDECXB6387409.
    My car is in the shop again for the 5th time. They are putting a cover on the fuel pump and that will not fix the issue. I am filling a claim under the lemon law and will be in contact with an attorney as soon as I can get my service records in line. I have missed time away from work and no longer feel safe in my car. I have been without it for 2 days now, and may be without it another 3 days which is fine with me. I have had 3 rental cars already. Very upset over this as this is my first Chevy purchase and I did so much review on Chevy before purchasing one. Now that I read more reviews, I also realize I don't get good mileage AT ALL with gas. I thought it was normal because this is an SUV but after looking at the specs for my car, I should not have to fill it up this much. Also, sometimes when turning the car off and locking it, the outside lights stay on, then i unlock and re-lock and they go off finally. Other times, they don't stay on at all when i turn the car off. Electrical maybe? who knows. Just one more thing to add. I bought a new car to drive a new car. My hubby has a 6 yr old Toyota that drives like new compared to mine. I love my dealer though...lovely people they are.
    the same thing happened to me twice at night at a red light both times. When the lights turned green, i pressed the gas and it was dead. Engine light was on for 2 days. it went off on the way to the dealer. The computer is now showing anything wrong and I let my onstar expire...so I couldn't ask them. Both times I was almost hit from behind.
    The Cham Phasers wont fix it. been there done that.