Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Gold Plus Extended warranty

blacksheeptblacksheept Member Posts: 2
edited February 2011 in Subaru
I just purchased a 2008 CPO legacy from a subaru dealership. They sold me on a 3 yr/ 100,000 extended plan with a $100 deductible for 550 dollars. Did I just get suckered or might this be a good plan? It sounds like it could be worth it if anything happens with any electrical components, but maybe the 6 yr/100k powertrain warranty that comes with the car is enough. Also I feel like 3yr/100k is a pretty strange/lopsided number.

He said I have 30 days to change my mind. Anyone else have a good/bad experience with this warranty? also did I overpay or strike a deal? I've looked in some other forums, but I have only found people who have bought these cars new pondering whether or not to get the extended warranty once their factory warranty started running out. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,782
    edited February 2011
    I think knowing how many miles are currently on the car would be helpful in determining whether or not it is a decent deal. Also, it would be good to know whether this is a Subaru extended warranty or though the dealership/some other third party.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • blacksheeptblacksheept Member Posts: 2
    It has 25k miles and the warranty is a subaru warranty.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    If you are getting 3 years from the date of purchase, I think that's actually a bargain.

You're getting 36 months of warranty, since I doubt you'll drive more than 75,000 miles in the next 3 years. Gold gives you roadside assistance, too.

I was paying $71 per year for AAA, so right there you offset about $213 bucks out of the $550. Less than $100 per year for piece of mind sounds dirt cheap to me.

Keep it.

Shoot - can I get one that cheap?
  • lg05legacylg05legacy Member Posts: 13
    Hi all,

I have a 2005 Legacy i with the extended Gold Plus Warranty and was hoping to piggyback on this forum post. I recently heard squealing from the Driver's side front wheels when driving along. Figure I need to just replace my break pads, as this hadn't been going on long. Take it to MetroWest Subaru in Natick, MA and they're telling me I should replace the rotors as well, because "I'll be coming back in the shop within a year to have them replaced". $400 - $500 was the estimated cost.

I'm fairly ignorant as to what exactly is covered by this extended warranty, so I have no idea whether the rotors should be covered. Any advice? I'm getting the feeling that I may be getting screwed by the dealer...

Thanks to all!
    Brakes are usually a wear-and-tear item, even the rotors. Unless they determine it was some sort of defect that caused premature wear, that is.

2005? Probably not, if the brakes were fine for 6 years.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    At that milage, your rotors should be starting to wear out. You should be on your second set of pads. On average most subies we deal with at our shop go through pads every 40k miles and rotors every 50k miles.

Here is an example of what we charge for brakes installed, and this is with upgraded Hawk HPS pads which are a great stock replacement with better grip.

http://azpinstalls.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=68&Itemid=75-

-mike
    Subaru Guru and Track Instructor
  • lg05legacylg05legacy Member Posts: 13
    Thank you to both Ateixeira & Paisan. You're both very knowledgeable resources when it comes to subarus, and I for one greatly appreciate all the help you lend here.

Come to find out I was NOT getting screwed by my dealer. It's amazing how much quicker one can stop with new brake pads and rotors! I also took a look at the drivers' side rotor after the dealer pulled it off the car... I really don't know how my car was stopping at all.

The price I was charged for the front brake pads and rotors (installed) was comparably similar (actually I think it was less!) to the ones your list Paisan... I think about $475.

Anyone know if having slotted rotors on your car in the northeast during winter is a bad idea? I'm thinking rust, freezing up etc...

Thanks!
    Cool, man, a worthy purchase if there ever was one. Brakes are probably the #1 most important thing on the vehicle.