Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Acura TL

hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
edited December 2013 in Acura
Check it out at the show or online. Comments?

Comments

• hals120hals120 Member Posts: 20
    While I'm not a fan of the beak, if I wanted an Avalon, I'd buy an Avalon.
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    From the pictures on the Acura website, I have no regrets about the one I have. All they did was inserted the RL grill and made some cosmectic changes.
    The only regret is not having the blind spot warning-love that feature.
    Maybe they will be able to swap out my mirrors-I will inquire in the fall.
  • emerxgtremerxgtr Member Posts: 6
    Agree....looks a lot like an RL from the front now. Think I will stick to my "beaked" model, at least it has character. Only wish it had ventilated seats....oh well.
  • carl65carl65 Member Posts: 2
    Will the 2012 TL still require premium unleaded?
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Yes, no change in the premium gas requirement.
    edited February 2011
    Do you think the '12 refresh is an improvement over the '09-'11? For those of you who took a pass on the '09-'11 because of its styling, is the new 6-speed automatic that helps fuel economy, plus the freshened styling, what you were hoping for? Would/will you buy a '12 TL?

I'm disappointed. The styling still doesn't look coherant to me. Part of the problem, in my eyes, is that I see too many conflicting styling cues. For me, Acura lost its way in '09, and the '12 refresh demonstrates that Acura is still struggling to regain its mojo. That said, the '12 is a slight improvement over its predecessor, and I like the fact that they've shortened the front by 1 1/2", making this big car a little trimmer. Overall, however, it's too little, too late. I'll wait for the next generation, which will probably be the '14, or buy another brand.
  • gbosilgbosil Member Posts: 88
    I currently own a 2007 TLS and 2010 TSX so therefore dedicated to the Acura Brand. Lately I have been very dissapointed with Acura. :cry: Their design direction is somewhat misguided and their lineup lacking a performance line up. Their service sucks also. :mad: I've noticed a steep decline in lately. The 2012 TL in my mind is no different than the 2009-2011 TL period + or - a few add ons. It's still a bloated sedan. I am very dissapointed in the overall direction of the TL. Looks like Grandpa should be driving it. I am now converting to the "other side." Just orderd my new Audi 2011 S4. Honestly if Acura would build another performance sedan I would buy it! Acura is missing out on this segment of buyers and I don't understand! Audi told me there is a 6mo wait on my car. The Audi factory is running at full tilt with orders. I saw the orders in the system for myself. Acura better wake up before they become extinct! Oh and BTW I am holding on to my TLS. Wouldn't part with it on my life!! Last of the great Acuras. :P
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I was at the Chicago auto show yesterday and spent some time in and around the new TL. I have to agree with others that the TL is not a great design overall but the improvements made for 2012 make the car look a lot less star trekky and soften the look substantially. Lot less garish looking and smoother. The big improvement I see is the 6speed tranny and the subsequent increase in MPG. 20city/29hwy for a large luxury car with 280hp is really very good. I know the Avalon gets that same MPG but if you compare the quality of materials in the interior and even exterior the TL is a nicer car and even with the current design is better looking than the Avalon as well IMO.

The TL is not really on my hot list but is I were looking for a roomy, high tech luxury car with good power and MPG it would be.
    Why not the S6???
    I have not sat in the S4 but I am hoping it is a step up from the A4 2.0.
    I actually rode in the 2.0 (co-worker) and I was not impressed, the car is very cramped and the inside framework did not wow me as did the old 1.8T.
    I have the 2009 TL SH-AWD and I absolutely love this car, no complaints for almost 2 years of ownership in addition, all I get is compliments. Maybe in about 2 years I will upgrade to the RL (If they give it the V8 and AWD). If not I will probably get the E550 or E63 AMG.
    Well for one I am trading my 2010 TSX and keeping my TLS. Love my TLS and get constant compliments. The TSX w/V6 is a joke in my driving opinion. Handles like crap. Gas mileage sux too. I've owned it for over a year now and really unhappy with the fit and finish of the car. Paint is paper thin and is chipping all over the front from HWY driving. Acura service treats you like owning a Honda. I know this because i've owned them. The S4 is one hell of a car st 333HP Supercharged V6 w/ 323 PD FT of Torque. Car gets 27/18 Gas Mileage. Also it's AWD. The car is a rocket! Handles better than the BMW 335i .. check the road tests online and starts at 48K. 0-60 4.7 Sec. QTR Mile 13.1 sec. Optioned is around 55K. The Exterior looks and interior quality is unmatched. It's basically a 4 door Porsche. Service treats you like you own a Porsche.. I know this because I also own a 1998 Porsche 911 C4S.
    Don't beat me up if I am wrong but I read in a comparison test several months back that the TL AWD with the manual out ran the S4.
    In any event good luck with the S4 and I agree with you on the TSX. I had one for a loaner and I could not wait to get out of work that day to get back in TL.
    Ah... no sir. Motor Trend did the review comparison. The TL took last place and the S4 took first place over the BMW 335i. Basically the S4 spanked the pants off the TL SHAWD. S4 Stock = Supercharged V6 produces 333HP w 323 Pound Ft of Torque. Equates to 0-60 of 4.7 Sec. It's basically a wolf in sheeps clothing. Add a AWE exhaust and Stasis tune and you got 400+ HP even with safety latches for the kid's car seat! ;)
  • jbhansenjbhansen Member Posts: 20
    edited February 2011
    For me personally? The answer is yes. I stayed away from the TL because IMHO Honda had beaten it with the ugly stick. I like the revised styling, and I've always loved the ELS sound system in this car, so yes, I will be buying a '12 when the time arrives.
  • fertilitydocfertilitydoc Member Posts: 5
    I went to the Chicago Auto Show today. I have owned 2 prior generation Acura TL's, the 1999 and most recently the 2005. I am tall 6'4" and have always appreciated the TL's front leg room, cockpit layout, technology integration, above average performance (although this could be improved) & value compared to the European sedans in it's class. I am due for a new car in the next few months and was curious to see the new model. The 2012 was there and accessible. Cockpit did seem a little cheapened with more plastic but the driving position is still comfortable. I would really like seat thigh extenders but those are on few models namely BMW & Audi. I will probably wind up with a new TL. It will be a little painful on the price front. I paid 32K for my 2005 TL. Assuming discounts will be a stretch with the new model, I'll probably wind up in the low 41K range for the new model. That is an ouch! The redesigned front and rear are unobtrusive. It is more vanilla-like. But car designers can't please everyone. Of course they said the latest model TL was an eyesore with the beak. Now they say it is boring. One piece of information I have not read anywhere. I asked the salesperson whether it would be spring or fall. She stated without hesitation that it would be released in March. I probably need my new car by summer. I have teenagers and one will inherit my 2005 TL which they need at that time. I am still going to look at some other cars including the Infiniti G37, Audi A4 & BMW 3 series. I thought Hyundai had some interesting new models. But I suspect I'll wind up with TL. It's hard to beat the overall package.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    God speed to you on the S4. Hopefully for you you won't suffer the Audi reliability issues that still plague that brand.
    Smarty.. I never thought I would see the day when I would jump ship from Acura. I love them! I am so damn dissapointed in their direction "Performance Wise." Bring back the "S" Line or Performance Line of cars damit! People like myself have the $$ to buy! I love my 2007 TL Type S and will hold onto it until it dies! It has provided me with 70K+ miles of no problems. As far as Audi goes their reliability has come along "Light Years" from their past. I know plenty of Audi owners 2007 and newer models that have has excellent success and 0 issues. Their Quattro AWD System is unmatched.. in my opinion. I live in the Northeast so the S4 provides handling, power and all year round enjoyment. Audi Customer Service is top notch. Acura has been lacking that lately .. at least in my area lately. My dealership is old and outdated. It's just like an old Honda Dealership! When Acura brings back the "S Line" i'll be back!
    I had the 2003 TL type S and had to get rid of it-too much wheel spin and torque steer. I have said this many of times-there is a 30 degree incline in my neighborhood and the type s could not make it over when it snows-embarrassing!!!
    My 2009 AWD is a joy to drive-talk about grip and cornering,this car holds it own. I had your car for a loaner and I was not impressed with the handling, straight line pick -yeah but the handling is not up to par with the 4G AWD. I just dont see myself owning another FWD with all that power or just FWD.
    My 2007 TLS goes like a TANK in the snow! Excellent! Honestly I was just going to trade my 2010 TSX for another 07 or 08 TLS! But then I would have two of the same car thats why I went with the Audi S4. I drove the TL SHAWD and I love the handeling but can's get past the design. I will wait for the refresh of the TL in a few years. By then my Audi will be close to 50K for trade in!
    Seems hard to accept knowing that all that power is going to the front. A friend of mine just traded the previous generation Maxima for a Armanda because of the same issue. But if you say yours go that's a benefit especially in the snow belt regions. Why wait for the next TL? Why not step up to a S6? I think my next car will be European either the E63, E550 or the S6- time will tell.
    Believe it or not my wife drives the TLS 90% of the time. No issues at with wheelspin.. the VSA kicks in nicely to balance it out. That car is the best bang for the buck period! Excellent Build quality and zero problems. Excellent Car! And it's fast! The S6 is a beast! The MPG on that car are horrible! The S4 is V6 Superchaged with 18 /28 HWY combined 21. The S6 is like 12/18 HWY AVG 15 MPG or something with that big honkin' V8. No thanks I like to have a Surf and Turf dinner once and awhile!
  • amcdadamcdad Member Posts: 61
    I saw this in Chicago. I know the current TL's look is polarizing- but at least it is unique and clearly sporty. The softened 2012 just looked boring to me. Doesn't seem sporty or luxurious looking- it's simply bland. Just my opinion.
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    Totally agreed. The current gen TL is not my cup of tea, but if I am to choose one, I'd go with 2009-2011. The 2012 "refreshened" style is just not inspiring at all.
    I hear you man, I feel the same way. I don't see myself in another Acura any time soon and most likely will be shopping BMW, Infiniti, and Audi the next time around. I really like Audi's vehicles but the reliability issues are still issue, granted better then they were, but still the worse of the German 3. I've been to Audi dealerships myself and never found their service any better than Acura or Infiniti. That though it dealer specific so it might just be b/c of the way my 3 local Audi dealerships operate so take that with a grain of salt.
  • crankeeecrankeee Member Posts: 298
    edited February 2011
    Common for most rice burners and higher performance domestic runners to use premium. BIG problem finding high test (91-93 Octane) during the last gas shortage for our one remaining high performance Japanese import. We have to say that for a twenty year old car (300ZX) it was one of the best made cars we ever had! It just demanded premium fuel - not a big cost deal if you can find it during manufactured shortages. Ethanol just would not feed that bulldog.
  • jspagna1jspagna1 Member Posts: 34
    See the beak has grown on me. And I totally agree with you about the Avalon statement.
  • bearnkdbearnkd Member Posts: 4
    Seriously disappointed in the 2012 TL refresh. It now looks like any other sedan on the market.
    I have to agree with you-not because I own a 2009.
    I went to the local dealership on Saturday to take a look and a slight possibility of trading in my 2009-not because of the grill but because of the added bells and whistle (ventilated seats, blind spot warning etc etc). Frankly, I was not only disappointed but disgusted. The new grill looks like it does not belong on the car-it looks after market and the added softness to style makes the car blend in the general popuplist like the Camrys, Accord and Altima. Botton line, I will hold on to 2009 gem untill the 2014 model comes out or possible if the RL gets the V8 and AWD.
    Almost forgot, they should have stuck to the split quad pipes on the AWD models, the regular twin pipes they brought over from the FWD drive is so common these days.
    A '11 Accord EX-L V6 seems like a much better alternative to the '12 TL.
    For you??? Sorry I graduated from FWD platforms, it has to be AWD or RWD.
    I have the 2009 AWD Tech with only 9k miles on it and I am loving it.
    Diamond White Pearl
    35% Tint
    Back up sensors
    Wood Wheel and Shift Knob
    All weather mats
    Door Edge Guards
    Rear floor liner
    LED whites for rear plates
    Next project-LED for DRL.
    Nicely optioned!

As for the '12, I haven't seen it yet.
  • kellylynchkellylynch Member Posts: 1
    I'm seriously thinking about the 2012 TL SH-AWD vs a 2010 or 2011 GT-R! I have an '04 TL 6MT that's been paid off for 3 years and I have the Practicle angel saying, "Save your money or buy a TL" and the Ricer Angel telling me, "Grow a pair punk and get that GT-R if for no other reason than to piss off your coworkers with children!"

I don't have any kids and little overhead so I can easily plunk down $2K a month....or invest it in Double Long Gold and Silver ETFs!

So what do you think...oh yeah...my girl wants me to get a SUV...maybe a MDX...but who cares!
  • shaymasdaddy06shaymasdaddy06 Member Posts: 17
    I'm not in the market until next March, but I was seriously looking at leasing a '12 SH-AWD Tech Advance.....until I realized how much I like the quad exhaust on the 2009 - 11 TL SH-AWDs. I also found a nice aftermarket grill on ronjonwheels.com that tones down the 'beak' but is not boring like the '12 grill. Plus I can get one with the 6sp manual combined with the 19s which is not available for 2012.
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    I just noticed also that on the 2012 TL's, they took away the chrome inserts on the door handles that were mixed in with the matching paint. Now it's back to just plain paint-matched door handles. They looked very classy on the 2009-2011 models!
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    edited October 2011
    If the Acura brand is your first foray into the Premium or Entry-level Premium class of car, you will most likely not be disappointed. :surprise:

The cars are well-made, have a great reputation for both reliability and durability, hold their value equal to or better than the class they are most often compared to, and they perform well -- especially if you are coming from a lesser class of automobile. However, if Acura is not your first Premium Class love, you may find yourself noticing perhaps a bit too much Honda in them. :(

Acura today reminds me of Audi several years ago -- and I say that mostly in a good way -- in that Audi shared a lot with its more plebeian cousin, VW. Acura must think that sharing AND showing its Honda DNA is a good thing, given the stellar reputation Honda enjoys for reliability, durability, affordability and customer loyalty. I, on the other hand, think Acura should slowly (but not too slowly) and steadily differentiate and distance itself from the Honda brand. I opened my welcome packet from "Acura" financial, and the text in the cover letter indicated that the data base from which the form letter was clearly created did not "know" if I was a Honda or Acura customer since the letter was worded to welcome me as either a Honda customer or an Acura customer to either Honda Financial or Acura Financial. Doesn't that make the customer feel special? :confuse:

The Acura dealerships I have visited (four of them) all seem neat, tidy and clean -- and they also seem as if they follow no visual or brand identification pattern from dealer to dealer; each dealership seems to have been built sometime in the late 1980's according to the decor. The service departments, too, eschew the 21st century look, yet they are clean and neat, but they appear dull and dark compared to say a BMW or Audi dealership service area -- where terracotta tile floors, indirect "pure white" lighting and cool tool racks dominate and fascinate the eye with their rows of gleaming instruments; and, at the German (and Infiniti and Lexus dealers) the service advisers are often dressed in white lab coats. Nice touch.

Now to the cars themselves.

Even many Korean cars now are virtually 100% push-button start and an increasing number of cars from every country offer up tach and speedo needle sweeps upon pressing their start buttons -- virtually all of the Premium cars provide this entertaining reminder that you are about to engage in piloting something special despite the fact that even some Kia's show off their instruments with a needle-sweep salute upon start up.

Start up even a $46,000 Acura TL and, well, nothing happens on the two main gauges except the tach needle rises to idle. Such a small touch (the needle sweep) -- and probably one that would be virtually free to include -- may not convince you to buy an Acura, but when you are testing both an Acura and an Infiniti, well, every little bit of sizzle may help sell the steak, so to speak.

Glance out to the mirrors -- now it is true that many, if not all, Acuras do provide turn signal indicator repeaters on the front-facing side, there is no indication on the mirror or the mirror housing that the signal is on. Again, another little thing much of the competition offers.

More on the interior: there is an information display between the tach and speedo which can be set to show a variety of informational bits, but, alas, it cannot be set to show your speed digitally, why not? There is no lane change feature on the turn signal stalk, if you want the signal to blink three or four times, you have to hold the stalk down to the first resistance manually, another demerit and again another item I would assume to be virtually free to include. How about a digital compass in the rear view mirror? How about an analog or digital clock other than the somewhat crude white on black rendering on a thin strip in the middle of the console -- another cheap to include oversight, I think.

OK, the Acura TL Advance (and I would assume any Acura equipped with at least with the tech package, which they all seem to be) does have automatic headlights -- but not rain sensing wipers, again many in this class would not eschew this feature either. Why does Acura? Next up, on the "needs improvement" punch list, the backup camera. Why do the guidelines that show up on the backup camera screen not articulate with the movement of the steering wheel, thereby showing the driver the result of the move he or she is about to make? Why bother to have the lines in the first place if they are fixed? Also, what is up with having a backup camera but not include (or offer as a factory option) backup (and perhaps front) sensors? I had to have my dealer add them to my TL SH-AWD Advance for a cost of $715 -- as a factory option they certainly would not command more than $500, and there would be no drilling required by the dealer.

Speaking of headlights, I flicked on my high beams the other night only to find that the top of the line TL does not come with bi-xenon lights, bummer. When your competition (and even the class a rung or two down from where you advertise you are) is using brilliant white LED daytime running lights and you use the dull yellow (dim-bulb effect) halogen beam approach, your car's front profile seems somewhat behind the times. With a somewhat futuristic name like Acura, wouldn't you want to make sure you used some LEDs on the front and/or rear of your car -- or at least offer it as an option?

If you can't offer bi-xenons, how about at least having the low-beams track with the turn of the steering wheel -- at least offer this as an option if your wish is to be able to market your cars with "lower prices than the competition." Most people seem to buy Acuras with the Technology package, well, how about offering Technology I and Technology II packages for those who want Premium features on their Premium cars?

Why no power operated rear window shade option? Why do the rear seats NOT fold down for more cargo space?

From a decorative perspective, why is it that Acura does not offer many of its interiors with or without wood trim (extra cost, of course)? Why can't the customer order virtually any combination of exterior color and interior color, even if doing so would require some extra cost -- that is, why won't Honda er, Acura, allow the customization options expected from the Premium class of cars? Why not offer performance options (factory or dealer installed), a variety of wheel choices (both fee and free), steering wheel choices (some extra cost) and additional trim choices, e.g., "Advance+" or "Tech II Type S" and so on?

Acura needs to differentiate itself in other ways: how about taking the excellent 3.7L and 3.5L engines to the next level with direct injection (more power and efficiency), super or turbo-charging and even more smooth running enhancements (like were done to the 3.5L in the 2012 TL)?
    edited October 2011
    I know it would appear to simply be a "me too" reaction, but there are great 7 and 8 speed transmissions -- and some of them are the so-called "clutchless" autos -- that could be sourced or built in-house, that would take Acura to another level of efficiency and performance.

Of course there are multiple other features and functions Acura cars could include or offer -- and before I finish, it should be noted that nothing I have said above makes me regret the acquisition of my new 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD Advance -- it is a very nice car, it is a fun car, it feels, overall, good -- however, it doesn't quite feel like it knows if it is simply an upscale Honda, or if it is really something special, belonging in the Premium class. Right now, I would say I am driving a real sleeper of a car -- it can perform somewhat like an 8.5/10ths Audi S4 -- but it sorta looks like someone "morphed" an Accord more than a little, less than a lot.

At this price point and for the "deal" I got on the car, I am a highly satisfied customer. I'm just not blown away.

Virtually all of the features and tweaks suggested above are included or available (either as stand alone or bundled in packages options) on Acura's targeted competition: Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Infiniti, Lexus and Volvo. Most of those cars, "nicely equipped" will blow you away. Oh well, only 34 more months to go -- I am rooting for Acura to not let very good get in the way of great!

Drive it like you live!

:shades:
  • XxHaimBonxXXxHaimBonxX Member Posts: 135
    Took my 09 TSX for a warranty service and asked them if they had a TL available for a loaner. They sure did. What a gorgeous car, inside-out! Way better steering and curving than TSX. 2012 updates got the car exactly what it needed. Tucked away the huge grill, little better rear definition. This car got to have me!
  • billyperksiibillyperksii Member Posts: 198
    I like waht you are saying but on the brands you are mentioning, you have to pay a substantial premium for all those goodies.
    I have said this before, my co-worker has a 2009 A4 and we venture out for lunch now and then. Honestly, the TSX blows the A4 interior away, it just does not say, hey, you are sittting in an Audi-to me that is.
    Rain Sensing wipers- I dont care for- can become annoying.
    Alert on turn signal mirrors- glare is very annoying at nights
    LED DRL- Agree-installing them momentarily, had the rear plates done. Go to the VLEDS web site, reasonable price.
    8spd tranny- REALLY, does it make a difference?? another friend has the 7 speed G37X-did not notice any diffrence in driving experience from my five speed. Maybe- more gear hunting.
    The majority of items I mentioned in my posts are SOFTWARE items -- now that doesn't mean they are free, but the cost of features that actually require additional bits of hardware were -- mostly -- omitted from my suggestions.

Rain sensing wipers do require a bit of hardware, but once spread out over the thousands of vehicles becomes a very low cost; and, for those who do not want them or like them, they could be made optional. If you don't like them and their cost would be so low as to make them standard equipment, well, they can be turned off.

I have no idea what glare you are referring to with the eye level turn signal repeaters that are on many car's sill level mirrors, so I can't comment other than to say I have never experienced the glare you refer to, especially since most of the mirrors, these days, are electrochromic. The repeater on the mirror housing (or on the surface of the mirror itself) is generally at a very low light output at night, hardly rising to the standard of "glare."

The transmission makes a huge difference. Note the articles about the switch from 5 speed to 6 speed autos and the increase in MPG and the decrease in 0-60MPH. The jump to 8 speeds in a new TL would be yet another boost to both these "M's."

Indeed some of the 5 speeds tend to hunt more, not less -- and the change is typically more noticable. In an 8-speed it certainly seems that the car with the exact same engine feels more powerful and that it is always in the right gear. I am assuming that we will be going to more than 8 speeds in the not too distant future, in fact.

A TL with an 8-speed would, without any other engine tweaks, accelerate more quickly and return better fuel milage. According to some of the press on these transmissions, they can be lighter than their 6 speed cousins, too. Less weight, always a good thing.

I would want the LED's to be factory units, part of an overall styling upgrade.
  • renssilsrenssils Member Posts: 24
    edited October 2011
    With 8,000 and six months on my 2012 TL, I second markcincinnati's remarks about the car's shortcomings. I don't see a need a more powerful engine, but would want those features that make ownership more enjoyable, such as a folding rear seatback, rear window shade, cleverer rear-view camera and backup sensors, heated rear seats, articulating headlights with better high beams, and an easy-to-read clock. A Kia has more electronic and electrical features for a lot less money, though that may be a case of apples and oranges.
    edited October 2011
    Perhaps I should have posted my Pt 1 & 2 on the ELLPS board, which seems to have much more audience participation. . . . But, it is what it is now.

My point in my "fine" posts is that Acura, perhaps more than any of the ELLPS crowd (and some that aren't on the masthead) needs an upgrade, an overhaul, a tune-up if you will, to identify itself as a real member of the ELLPS and Premium car market. It needs to adopt and adapt. This isn't exactly about personal likes and dislikes.

I don't care -- and I do think you shouldn't either -- if one poster here doesn't like automatic windshield wipers or LED DRL's or fold-down rear seats or front and rear parktronic. I don't care if you think Blind Spot Warning Systems are just another way to bilk dollars out of customers or not -- all of the Acuras need them AHEAD of the guys downstream. OOOPS, the new Camry has BSI and only the top of the line Acuras (which make you buy everything even if all you wanted was the BSI) offer them.

The idea here is not that a certain feature or feature set catapults a car into a different class per se, but certain classes of cars, these days, need to have certain features if they expect to remain in the class for long.

Adding LED DRL's to a KIA does not mean that the KIA is now comparable to an Audi or a BMW or Mercedes or Acura or Infiniti or Lexus. Yet, these LPS cars are often looked upon as the showcase for the leading edge technologies and features -- and Acura in some respect has become a laggard (god help us if top management at Acura have also become luddites.)

Acura has one vehicle that -- recently -- has kept the dealerships more or less flush: the MDX. The styling of the pre 2012 TL's was widely panned by "everyone" with a keyboard (and I am speaking about those folks who get paid to write this, not you and me), and even if that weren't the case, well sales suffered once the TL with the big schnoz hit the showrooms.

Who in the wide wide world of sports authorized the ZDX for pete's sake? And, after a reasonably warm welcome just a short few years back, who killed the RL?

Who killed the idea of offering up performance versions of these cars -- c'mon even Volvo VOLVO offers up a type - R for its widely praised S60.

I used to (still do, somewhat) think of Acura as the Japanese Answer to Audi, just as I still think of Infiniti as the Japanese Answer to BMW.

Where is the leadership? SH-AWD was great, still is, but WHAT'S NEW!?!

A mild refresh of the TL is all well and good, hell, I bought one of them because I was so impressed with the TL. But I am only impressed with the TL in SH-AWD Advance form. Lesser versions of the TL, are, IMHO, well, lesser.

Many claim that the Audi A4 is an FWD car -- well, that may be true somewhere, but hardly in North America. Our two Audi dealers here in Cincinnapolis ONLY stock quattro versions of the cars they sell (the A3 being the exception due to god knows what marketing reason). I have never seen an FWD A6 perhaps in this century. Acura should get the FWD cars off the books if you asked me -- they don't fit the LPS (or ELLPS) mold.

Offer some Acura S or Acura R or Acura Performance Line or Type-R or Type-S cars to the buying public. If you must follow to lead, follow the divergence of Audi from VW (and I know it will take years to get it done, but at least show us you believe there is room in the Premium class -- room at the top -- for at least one more true believer.)

BMW's bread and butter is the 3 series, but at least there IS a 7 series. Audi's mainline (by 4x) is the A4, but at least there is an A5, A6, A7, A8 and R8 available to aspire to.

I bought my first Acura, a 2012 TL SH-AWD Advance -- what next is there, in the line, to aspire to? One and done?

Acura seems like it remains, like Audi used to be, in the shadow of the parent (Honda and VW respectively.) Audi after its flame was nearly extinguished due to the unintended acceleration nightmare, has come back -- big time. It has passed the parent in terms of being the sizzle car line, the premium car line. VW couldn't save (in the US) the Pheaton even with its considerably deep pockets. Meanwhile Audi brings out cars with V10 engines, S8's and now mid-engined super-cars. . .all to help sell more A4's, after all.

Acura needs to "man-up" and either be in the Premium class or stay as a super nice version of the Honda family. It seems, to me -- among others -- that Acura is sort of betwixt and between: not quite a member of the Premium class, but too expensive to remain a class or two lower.

Acura, IMOH, was a solid member of the Premium class in this century; now, some years have passed and it seems to be enlarging its orbit around that Premium sun, taking longer and longer to get back to its perihelion. Pretty soon, at this point, inertia will overtake gravity and Acura will spin out of the Premium solar system.

It is not too late -- and Acura (shhhhh Honda) has the engineering chutzpah to fix this somewhat frustrating state of affairs.

I, for one, am pulling for them.

Step one -- buy an example of every one of the competition's offerings and examine and drive them.

Step two -- see what happens next. :surprise:
    Granted Audi has done a nice job coming back from the Abyss, much like Infiniti has, but they still have a ways to go to get up to the level of BMW, Lexus, and Mercedes.
    What's so special about Lexus- the GS, IS, HS,LS????
    Let us know.
  • 2012tllove2012tllove Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2012 Acura TL back in May. First day driving it, I got into the car started it up and I received an alert telling me "battery is low and should be charged. Take it back to the dealer". I did, the dealer told me to just keep driving it and everything should be okay. I did and it was.
    Fast forward to today and I get in my car after it sitting for the whole weekend and I get the same alert "battery is low and should be charged. Take it back to the dealer". It started with no problems and I got to work with no problems. After the initial alert it went off.
    I get to work and I call the dealership where I purchased the car. I informed them of my issue and they tell me that it seems to be due to the type of electronics put in the newly redesigned engine in the 2012. The mechanic also informed me that if I received the alert and it stayed on than that would be a problem but since it came on and went off after a minute than I just need to run the car and it will just recharge the battery.
    My concern is what if I go out of town for an extended period of time and the car sits idle for the whole time. I come back, get into the car and it is DEAD AS A DOORKNOB!!! What then??
    Has anyone else out there had this same problem> If so, what did you do, if anything? :mad:
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    I have a 2010 MDX and have experienced the same issue, but only after running the audio system with the engine not running for a while. But the warning has popped up after just a few minutes, and I had never experienced this in any other car I've ever owned! I've come to attribute this to an overly sensitive warning system, and no longer fear that that battery is so run down that I would be stranded (unless you were to leave lights or electronics on for an extended period, which would drain the battery in any car!).

So I wouldn't worry about it. If it still bothers you put a set of jumper cables in the back, until your comfortable that they won't be needed.
    What's so special about Acura - the TSX, TL, ZDX, RL????
    Let us know.
    Nice values.
    Same could be said for Lexus. But Lexus at least offers RWD and V8 in some of their offerings. Acura still doesn't even give you that choice. Lexus has much better brand recognition and prestige than Acura does unfortunately.
  • proeproe Member Posts: 157
    edited November 2011
    To me, Honda chooses to build cars for 80% of the market not 20%. Honda gives you what you need not necessarily what you desire. Their cars don't win any single category but as a whole they are just awesome.

Honda has more than one car that stands the trial of time.
    NSX basically redefined what a every day super car should be.
    S2000 was one heck of the high rev sports car that matches the fun factor of even mighty Porsche for a lot less.

Not sure what car does Toyota have except Supra...............

By the way, there is one guy who drove a 1990 Honda Accord to 1,000,000 miles. He bought the car used 15 years ago with 74,000 miles on it.
    http://automobiles.honda.com/mile-makers/
    http://automobiles.honda.com/mile-makers/story.aspx?Story=783

How many Toyota made cars even reach 1,000,000 miles? Or any car by other manufacturers?

That is what is so sepcial about cars from Honda ;)
    Your 100% right about Honda, but I was not taking about Honda, we are talking about Acura, which is suppose to be a luxury company. They need to start having a model line up that offers what Lexus, BMW, MB, Audi, and Infiniti has in order to be compared to them. They currently do not. I'm hopeful they will in the future.
  • mcb345mcb345 Member Posts: 32
    I agree they need to step it up a bit. Offer a turbo! Or a track edition TSX or TL... A 2 door coupe TL would be my next car if it ever came out. If caddillac can do it with the CTS then acura can. A track edition 2 door TL, beating out the CTS Vcoupe head to head.