Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

TR-6's. Love'm? Hate'm?

13»

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Welllll....I'm not the Good Taste Police---I have no legal powers to stop this.
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Wow, this topic became the "toy poodles wearing doll clothes" parade in just 11 pages. Some of those pics are neither love nor hate. Eww.

regarding that Triumph/Shelby "clone" ...wonder who signed the glove box on that project car? Carol Burnett? Reminds me of a mama's family quote which Andre posted one time: "What's your problem Eunice? You riding the cotton pony?"

It's as though the guy who built that clown car doesn't even get the joke. Parked at any car show it stinks up the whole event. Why even socialize with sports car lovers if you want to do that? Crazy.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    edited March 2011
    I see a lot of this---so now you know why I'm sensitive about it. I've been to hell and back. The hockey-puck stripes are harmless enough, no penalty---- but it's not easy for me to watch people *mutilate* nice TR6s in order to indulge in some kind of car fantasy gone horribly wrong.

I suppose people do this to TR6s for the same reason that people dress up in gorilla costumes and rant about things on YouTube--it attracts attention to themselves---and you know, in 2011 America, even unflattering attention is better than none at all.

I don't know WHY TR6s have been singled out for this torment. I mean, you rarely see TR3 Franken-steined, or Jaguar E-Types, or even Bugeye Sprites.

Yes, we see them with roll bars and air dams, but these are *raced* in SCCA or vintage events and look much as they might have when they first raced.

I have no problem with a TR6 modified expertly and genuinely, for vintage racing.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,363
    edited March 2011
    I don't know WHY TR6s have been singled out for this torment. I mean, you rarely see TR3 Franken-steined, or Jaguar E-Types, or even Bugeye Sprites.

Thast's just it Shifty, TR6s just don't have the classic Brit roadster cachet of those cars you mentioned for several reasons.

-They aren't especially pretty
    -They weren't good performers for their era
    -They were inferior in many ways to their competition when new. When I decided to buy a new Fiat 124 Sport Spider/1600 in '71 I also considered a 240Z or a 914/4 but not a TR6 but I might have if they'd kept the nicer Michelotti bodies.

You see these cars as "cut-rate Healey 3000s" but to me they're more "shoulda got a 240Zs"

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• parmparm Member Posts: 724
    edited March 2011
    You see these cars as "cut-rate Healey 3000s" but to me they're more "shoulda got a 240Zs"

Of course, the flaw in that logic is that a 240Z wasn't a convertible. So, if you wanted to drive topless, a 240Z wasn't even your radar back then.

I'll admit that some of the photos you posted are of modified TR6's that only their mothers could love. Having said that, the one with the multi-stripe treatment was a factory/dealer option as someone else mentioned. So, even though that's not my cup of tea either, that one can't be included in the clown car count.

I've joined the TR6/TR250 Car Club of America Club website where modifying these cars is widely accepted. Now, having said that, there are varying degrees of modification and most of the hard core owners don't stray too far from stock in terms of exterior cosmetics. But, modifications to the motor and chassis are pretty normal and these guys live and breathe these cars. So, if it's OK by them, I think that speaks volumes.

While a pure stock TR6 would make great subject material for a History Channel documentary, an all original TR6 is merely a to-be-modified car in waiting to a wide range of owners. As we've said with many domestic marques, it gets down to what you're after. If you're part of the lawn chair set at local car shows, then keeping a car alive with factory replacement parts is your bag. But, if you want to maximize your's and your car's quality of life, then you'll lean toward installing upgraded engine, cooling and chassis components when the original ones wear out or leave you stranded by the side of the road.

Personally, I'm looking for a TR6 that looks stock aside from perhaps an upgraded steering wheel and a "tasteful" set of wheels (yes, they do exist), but has some logical/rational upgrades under the hood and sheetmetal. Something like this . . . An ideal TR6 for me
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,363
    edited March 2011
    Something like this . . . An ideal TR6 for me

That one's not bad, nice colors inside and out, but I'm sure Mr.S would object to the gold painted wheel centers. That could be fixed with a can of spray paint. The luggage rack was a common acccessory back in the day.

I don't care for the four tail pipes. Those were trademarks of Ferraris from the beginning but now lately everyone's been copying them. IMO they're quite inappropriate for anything but a Ferrari.

Yes that includes you BMW M3 and Corvette!

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

edited March 2011
    I must respectfully differ regarding the TR6s performance. It is every inch an Austin Healey 3000 in that regard. It's really a fun car to drive and has plenty of torque for spirited driving on twisty roads.

As for modifications, I have no problem with *improving* the internals that cannot be seen externally, but garish wheels, body cladding, or different engines are not only a-historical, they are unnecessary.

so many old car guys think they are smarter than factory engineers, and they make modifications to improve one thing and end up, usually, degrading another thing they hadn't counted upon at all.

e.g., they put in a lightened flywheel and then struggle with shifting in city driving; they replace the Strombergs or SUs with Webers, and end up fussing more with those than they did with the originals; they put on a "sport exhaust" and drone themselves to death at 4000 rpms;

Sure, you want to strengthen the differential mounts, maybe some nice Bilsteins, you want to put on a modern ignition perhaps, synthetic oil perhaps, maybe even an overdrive transmission. These things make sense to me.

Being part of a club doesn't necessarily validate what is done to cars. The competition among them often leads to doing really stupid things as well as very clever mods.
    edited March 2011
    You raise an excellent point. No doubt that some guys get themselves into trouble when they start swapping out bits and pieces without a master plan. However, the point should be made there are a lot of components utilizing superior designs/materials that weren't available in, say, 1972. As an example, anyone doing a total body off restoration on a TR6 should consider a modern frame replacement as there are at least two companies I'm aware of that make better frames than the original. Keep in mind too that the original engineers were constrained to some degree by costs in order to keep the overall car at, or below, a specific price point. Therefore, it's entirely possible (and probably a fact) that better designs/materials were likely ditched as a concession to cost. In today's TR6 world (and other marques too), penny pitching accountants don't have the final approval when it comes to selecting the quality and design of components. In other words, in an effort to build a better mousetrap, the restorer is not under the same constraints as the original engineers.
    Well I'm sure we could vastly improve the performance of a Civil War cannon used at Gettysburg, but should we?

Now of course most old cars do not maintain such an exulted place in history, but they ARE part of history, and all I'm saying is that some RESPECT is in order...*some* respect.

There's just a certain arrogance in taking a 50 year old car and saying "oh, I can improve that, and it's mine, so I will".

Surely there is a balance point between fanatical meticulous over-restoration and the other extreme of unabashed barbarity when modifying a historical vehicle.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,669
    I've wandered down that path - what if I got a '65 Mustang, then put in a good crate engine, 4 wheels disc brakes, etc, etc...then I wake up and decide, if that's what I want, just go get a 2011 GT!
    Well Mustangs are a dime a dozen so I'm not so fussy about modifying them, although even in their case, I'm not fond of seeing them butchered up with hood scoops and spoilers.
    One important difference though is that a Civil War canon is no longer regularly (or ever) fired. ;)
    True enough, my example was a case in extremis to be sure. However, there are restored classic cars that get about as little use as a Civil War cannon.
    barbarians. :cry:
    Barbarians indeed. That's way over the top. Not the kind of tasteful mods (Koning or Panasport wheels, some modern electricals, brake upgrades) I would ever do.
    Sure hope he did something to the dogcart suspension and the brakes!

The roll bar is hideous, by the way. But the install looks very neat and tidy.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,669
    I wonder how it handles with all that hp. I remember a 5er conversion of an older chassis/newer engine, they never did get the handling right. I think I'd just find a Z3 M roadster.
    I bet you basically steer it with the gas pedal.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Local car show... Sunbeam Tiger...

Had replaced the stock 260 V-8 with a bored/stroked 302.. :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Yeah, Tigers are often modified. I guess it's okay if you keep the old engine around. Of course, many Tigers aren't "tigers" at all, but "Algers"...redone Alpines. There are ways to tell that cannot be disguised however.
  • 5539655396 Member Posts: 529
    A friend just stopped by and asked about the value of this combo. 1973, I think. It is prepped and stored in CA. Either this engine or the car has 80k on it. I'm thinking it's the engine. Can anyone give me an idea what it's worth? And, where would he look to find the value or to sell it? Thanks.
    We'd need to know the condition of it in detail; otherwise any opinion on value could be extremely wrong. I mean, I could give you a useless answer, such as between $3,000 and $22,000, which is all true, depending on what shape the car's in.
  • ks55ks55 Member Posts: 8
    I grew up in Long Island and would always drool over them in the British Leyland showroom on Long Island back in 69 or so ( @ age 14). Look for earlier (not later) ....I seem to recall the 69,70,71 era is the best as the later suffered from emissions strangulation. Stay away from the rubber bumpers as this was done to improve crash worthyness and they added weight and raised the suspension to help also improve crashworthyness ( at the expense of handling) Yes the electric overdrive ( Norman De Laycock?)( as are other Lucas elctronics ) are problematic. They were gone by 76 and a remember a tinge of melancoly when I read that. A good looking ,good sounding ,masculine brit roadster somewhat like the last of the Austin Healey 3000's ( another beauty that was gone by 67).
  • ks55ks55 Member Posts: 8
    that's correct .It is a rare TR8 roadster with the 3.5 liter V8.

Since I started this thread, I'll keep it going. Guess I forgot to post that in May 2011, I bought a 1-owner 2001 Honda S2000 with just over 67,000 miles. Silver with red interior. Very good (borderline excellent) condition. Still looks new in a lot of respects. Paid $13,500. I've put about 4,000 miles on it. Keep it stored during the winter months. Will be getting it out of hibernation before long. Love it while driving around town. But, on the highway, it's like a bug on the water. Very skidish (though stable) which is the characteristic for this breed. The slightest twitch of the steering wheel and you better alert. I know it's the nature of this car and perhaps a real sports car snob would love this trait, but I HATE the fact it wants to dart to the inside if you lift the throttle in the middle of a sweeping corner. I'd like a more relaxing/comfortable driving experience and more room, so I'm to the point where I'm considering getting rid of it in favor or a nice '04 M-B CLK convertible or a BMW 330Ci convertible. First guy that comes along willing to pay $10,000 will be the proud owner of a very nice S2000.