Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oil Change - Interval, OLS & Other

crankeeecrankeee Member Posts: 298
edited September 2014 in Buick
Various dealers and mechanics offer guidance that has apparently revised the oil change interval from the 7500 miles back to the 5000 mile interval as in 2007/2008 for certain models under certain conditions. Some dealers recommend following the Oil Life System (OLS) readout that provides remaining oil life and some service providers still maintain the 3000 mile change interval. Please post your recent experiences with dealer recommendations for oil changes, oil life system (OLS), and other oil related subjects.

Comments

• e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    There are forums dedicated to discussion of oil. On changing, professionals agree that only the most severe of conditions would it be necessary to do the 3K changes recommended by quick change places. Oil has come a long way since then.
    Many believe the 3K is just for profitability of such businesses but I've questioned another aspect of it. Maybe the bulk oil they use has minimum additives and thus does wear out near 3K. And I'd bet they use cheap filters, too. I have personally seen them match filters to engine simply on whether the threads matched. That is, instead of using correct filter they use one that fits that is cheap, cheaper when bought in larger volume, and reduce onsite inventory.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Yeah... I think you'll get more people to jump in one the subject in our general Engine Oil: A Slippery Subject discussion.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

This discussion has been closed.