Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 535i Tires and Rims

techman9techman9 Member Posts: 18
Has anyone else had that same problem with tires and Rims on a 2011 535i this year. I know that potholes have been bad the year but replaced two rims and two different tires. I also had a front and rear alignment. Coast was a mear
$2800, Wheels are 19" Light alloy V-spoke wheels style 331-with all-season run-flat tires
I had the car out for a day, drove different roads to avoid the potholes and the problem is back again; a vibration in the steering wheel and the car drifts a bit, I have to bring the car back in to the dealer again this week.

Comments

• james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    I've always avoided the optional, lower-profile tires and wheels. Yes, they may look better (subjective) and handle better (not that many people actually ever make use of them), but where I live, the roads at the end of the winter are not too great, and the cost is just not worth it to me. While the 19-inchers aren't that much lower, that extra little bit can make a difference. Not as bad as the 20 or 21-inchers but still every little bit makes a difference. There are a few companies that can straighten the wheels (unless cracked) for far less than buying a new one if it comes to that. They often have some the same style, and can exchange it rather than you having to wait and send yours to them to be straightened. BMW and nearly all car manufacturers warn about larger wheels in the user's manual...it is not a warning to be ignored...it is fairly common. It might be a different story if you lived say in FL where it is uncommon to have frost heaves or potholes caused by freeze/thaw cycles.
  • techman9techman9 Member Posts: 18
    so latest update, I now have 4 bent rims and a new tire problem with one tire. I did not drive over any extraordinary road conditions during the day I had the vehicle back forom the first bent rim incident.

I contacted BMW customer service. After a week and no call back I contacted them again. I had to pin them down to a time when they would call me call to address the issue. The outcome of course is they they are refusing to do anything for me. I asked to be put in contact with the BMW district manager and they did not know who that is and would not find out (I asked for this info on the first call to CS). I have driven a BMW loaner for a week over the same roads as my own vehicle and I do not have any problems with the rims on the loaner vehicle. I contacted my selling dealer and they have not returned any of my calls.

In the end I will just have to rack this up to a learning experience, which is BMW does not really care about the customer; their customer service is nonexistent. BMW may have other great products but the 2011 535i is a mess of a car.
    Unless originally defective, rims don't magically bend themselves! While it might not be a pothole, it could be a curb. You have to have hit something.
    and there you go with a great point, are the rims defective. 40 years of driving in my state, nationally and in Europe and never once have I bent a rim. Now within the course of a week I bent 2 one one occasion a 4 a day later. Also I did not hit any curbs and even if I did how would that bend all 4. There must be a big problem with the rims BMW is using or the suspension system on the 535.
  • baloo588baloo588 Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2011
    TO everyone with new BMW 5 series with bent rims, its not a surprise. My car which was only 1 month old had vibration in the rear at speeds 70-80 mph and it was a big annoyance. I had to go back to my dealer few times and they replaced 1 defective rear tire. The RFTs were replaced at 1,000 miles to Michelin non-rft and the vibration was still there!! I found a high quality german independent dealer that told me that they had another 2011 BMW 535iwith vibration due to 4 defective rims made and placed on certain cars leading to warped rims when they were strapped down for shipment to the US. My car had 4 bent rims too on the inner part of the rim and you could see the bend on it when it was spun on the Hunter Road force machine with your own eyes! I took my car back to the BMW dealership and while they could not admit the problem they confirmed it and replaced all 4 rims and the car is super smooth now. This was all in 2 months of ownership after I picked up the BMW on Jan 3 of this year. It was found out that BMW factory did not cure the rims for the 5 series properly causing some 5 series to come with small bends in their rims leading to vibration.
    Interesting...I'm guessing since I'm picking my car up in Munich, the rims may not have been strapped to a pallet...anyway, I'll find out in a few weeks.
    Very interesting, your explanation certainly makes sense. Why wouldn't the selling or servicing dealer come clean about the issue. BMW customer service stated plainly, "we are going to do anything to assist you with the reapir." The dealers keep attributing the problem to low profile tries but I just don't buy it.

One item they did fix, I had very active steering. The shop forman went on a drive with me and stated that the steering was normal for a BMW, he did a software update and eliminated the problem. Again, never admitted to the problem and never reviewed it with me but non the less he did the repair.
  • am92014am92014 Member Posts: 1
    I just had the identical problem with my 2011 535i bought in November. Potholes (and not even big ones). All four rims bent and all four tires with blistering. >$4000! Luckily I have the wheel/tire insurance which fully covered it but they still made me pay $200 for alignment. Ridiculous that they asked me if I hit something - obviously BMW knows there is a problem. I hope it doesn't happen again as I do love the car and would recommend it to anyone.
  • james_m3james_m3 Member Posts: 5
    I read this entire thread, and I'm glad I did. I am having the same issue right now with my 2011 535. Three of the wheels are mysteriously bent, causing substantial vibration when I drive at or around 30mph, and again at 60mph. Also, after only 6 months of leasing the car, three tires have needed replacement -- all of this is after very low-milage, casual driving in Los Angeles. It makes no sense. I would like to be in touch with you directly about this. I'm sure there are other people with the same issue.
    Update Two more bent rims for a total of 8 bent rims. Two more tires with bubbles (3 on one 5 on another) for a total of 5 replaced tires. So since I purchased this car in November I have spent another 6k just on wheels and tires.
    This car has to go.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    edited June 2011
    Why don't you just put a smaller diameter wheel on your car? If you were to buy a nice set of 17" wheels and wrap them with a set of 245/50 R17 tires you'd be good to go.

A tire wheel combination as suggested above will not degrade the handling of your car at all, however, the ride will improve and your ability to get away with encounters with pot-holes and such will be dramatically improved.

EDIT:

I just configured a set of wheels and tires for your car over on TireRack.com and here's what I came up with:

A set of 17x8 Rial Salerno wheels: $556.00
    A set of 245/50 ZR17 Continental Extreme Contact DWS Tires: $660.00
    A set of TPMS Tire Valves/Sensors: $212.00
    Shipping: $104.40
    =======================
    Total: $1,532.40

It seems that the above solution would be far cheaper than chucking your car and going with something else. Yes, no?
    This a great idea Shipo and thank you. I did ask the service manager at the dealership where I am having my car serviced. He had reservations to downsizing the wheel due to the suspension system, however he did want to swap out the wheels and tires for conventional non-run flat tires., of ourse he wanted 5400 for the set.
    The service manager needs to get hisseff edumakated; downsizing wheels is an absolute "no brainer" for all cars (BMWs and non) assuming the following:
    - The overall tire diameter doesn't change
    - The new wheel size has the proper inner diameter and offset and such to clear the brake calipers and position the tires (from a lateral perspective) where they're supposed to be. That you'd be downsizing means there's also a pretty good chance the tire/wheel combination will be lighter than the OEM setup, and that will improve both the ride and the handling as a result.

FWIW, for winter tire service folks have been downsizing the wheels on their BMWs for decades (literally), my cars included, and everything operates as it should. In the case of my 5er, it came with 17" wheels and I downsized to 16" wheels for the winter months; the ride was a bit softer, the handling softened a bit (more to do with the narrower winter tires and their ability to bite the pavement than anything else), and the ability to absorb a pot-hole hit grew enormously.

As a suggestion, bluntly inform your service manager you're going to downsize (whether you really plan to or not) and see what he says. There are reports of some service managers claiming such a move will void the warranty (a silly notion), and if he does, ask him to put it in writing. If he’s bold enough to do so, send it to BMW in Woodcliff Lake, NJ; they'll tell you your warranty will stay perfectly intact.

The funny thing with the wheel sizes larger than roughly 17" is that their only functional advantage over smaller wheels are their ability to clear large diameter brakes. The other pseudo advantage to larger wheels it the whole bling-looks thing, something I think you'll gladly do without in exchange for a setup that doesn't constantly get bent. :)
  • gosaintsgosaints Member Posts: 18
    I am doing PCD of a new 535i with sport package in two weeks. After reading this thread, I inquired about the Tire and Wheel Protection plan offerred by BMW. It's a five year policy, unlimited miles, unlimited incidents, no deductible. My dealer quoted $1,250. Ordinarily I would decline this coverage without giving it a second thought. But in light of the nightmarish posts I've encountered on this and other forums, it actually sounds like a good idea. Any thoughts or comparison quotes on this coverage?
    My selling dealer did offer a plan, 3K was the cost and it only covered one set of wheels and tires. I declined. Yours sounds like a deal but read the fine print carefully.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    edited June 2011
    I got the same plan for $850 on a 2010 328i convertible.

The question you need to answer is this:

What are the general road conditions in your area, and what is your driving style?

While it's true than some owners have repeated incidents of tire & wheel damage, it's also true that the large majority of owners don't. Also, insurance plans aren't offered at a price that costs the insurance companies $$$.

Only you can determine if the plan offered is right for you, but again, most owners would come out ahead by banking the premium amount. Having said that, a friend of mine with an M3 bought the plan and had a damaged tire replaced with no hassles at all. He damaged the sidewalk by "curbing" the tire on a sharp edge. He's had the car for a year, and so far, he's still behind the curve on payback from the plan.... But, he has 4 more years.

Good luck in whatever you decide...
    Correction: I meant to say he damaged the tire by scraping the sidewalk curb...
    Busiris, thanks for your input. Does your 328ic have RFTs and what is the diameter of your wheels? Sounds like you got a good deal at $850.
    Yes, I have RFT's, as do all late model BMW's (except M series cars, I believe)...

I have a 2010 328i convertible, a 2007 Z4 Coupe, and my wife has a 2005 Mini convertible.... all with RFT's.

Both the BMW's are equiped with the Sport package (18 inch wheels).

Personally, I have never had a wheel/tire issue, although my wife has replaced 2 RFT's over the years (tire punctures along the sidewall edge).

Even then, it was cheaper to replace 2 RFT's out of pocket...

Still, I recommend looking at your own driving history and environment before deciding. Do you get many flats? Hit a lot of potholes? Unusually bad roads in your area?

Good luck?
    Thanks. I live in a suburb of New Orleans a/k/a the pot hole capital of the world. So I' m thinking I will spring for the protection so I won't have to worry every time I hit one.

My 535 will have the exact 19" wheels that are the subject of an apparent class action over undue cracking issues.

I priced the tires on Tire Rack and they are $415 each, excluding shipping, tax, installation, etc. so I figure that I will have close to $1k on each wheel/tire combo.

I have always come out ahead on extended warranties in the past, so I will roll the dice and enjoy the peace of mind in the meantime. Plus, I got the dealer to knock off $50 (wow) so I'm at $1,200 for the protection.
    Sounds like you may be making the wise choice for your circumstances...

Hopefully, you will never need the insurance...

Again, may the wheel and tire gods be merciful to you!
  • mkalen1mkalen1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 535xi with the sport package and 19" rim and low profile, run flat tires. Over a seven month period, I had 3 blown tires and 11 bent rims. All of the problems were a result of normal potholes.

Its a known BMW problem that low profile, run flat tires do not have enough sidewalk between the road and the rim. I have this confirmed thru 2 very good BMW mechanics.

Buyers beware.

Further, BMW will not make good on the problem. Make sure you purchase the third party insurance.
    The issue has nothing to do with BMW per-se and everything to do with folks who want bling looking wheels at the expense of both ride and handling; regardless of manufacturer, if you opt to equip your car with such low profile tires they will be susceptible to damage from "normal" pot holes. Had you checked before buying your car you would have found BMWs disclaimer regarding such a purchase:

"Driving over rough or damaged road surfaces, as well as debris can cause serious damage to wheels, tires, and suspension parts. This is more likely to occur with low-profile tires, which provide less cushioning between the wheel and the road. Be careful to avoid road hazards and reduce your speed, especially if your vehicle is equipped with low-profile tires. Run-flat tires do not come equipped with a spare tire and wheel."

Said another way, while BMW offers a large wheel and low-profile tire package for those whom insist on having their cars equipped accordingly, they also recommend against buying said package. So, while you may want to blame BMW for the wheels and tires you've damaged, I really don't understand your logic for placing the blame anywhere but squarely on your own shoulders.
    the problem has more to do with poor engineering of the suspension systems on the part of BMW. Many automotive companies offer low profile tires and they do not result in the same issue. Go buy and Audi like I did, its faster, better handeling and well engineered.
    A true BMW fan defending until the end. The problem is not with the buyer of these vehicles it is the automotive company that keeps offering the same cheap product, riding on the coattails of a reputation of days gone by.

BMW is no longer the company they were, so they continue to bring cheap china made junk to anyone that will buy it. Its that simple.

I have had no problem with the 2012 Audi A6 low profile tires and all. Oh and did I say much more fun to drive.
    edited October 2011
    Utter and complete nonsense; any car with a wheel and tire combination which features a sidewall height of less than four inches is highly susceptible to tire and rim damage. Audis with wheel tire combinations with sidewalls as short as those on a 5-Series with 19" wheels (assuming Audi even sells such a creature) will be just as easily damaged as those on the BMW.
    "A true BMW fan defending until the end."

Seriously? You sound like someone who knocks a brand for no other reason than you have nothing better to do.

"The problem is not with the buyer of these vehicles it is the automotive company that keeps offering the same cheap product, riding on the coattails of a reputation of days gone by."

Incorrect; the problem is the buyers of these vehicles who don't read the fine print and then when they mess something up they want to find someone to blame for their own screw-up.

"BMW is no longer the company they were, so they continue to bring cheap china made junk to anyone that will buy it. Its that simple."

Where'd you get that little gem? Oh wait, you like make stuff up on the fly. :P

"I have had no problem with the 2012 Audi A6 low profile tires and all. Oh and did I say much more fun to drive."

Most likely an irrelevant comparison. Why? BMW offers not one, not two, but three different "low profile" tire and wheel sizes for the 5-Series, and unless your Audi is equipped with a tire and wheel combination that is as low as the 19" setup on the 5-series, then you're comparing apples-to-oranges. Even if your tires have the same sidewall height, the comparison isn't terribly relevant. Why? Because lots of folks 5-Series cars and 19" wheels have (so far at least) no problems as they've been able (so far at least) to avoid road hazards.
    While you could buy stronger wheels (say a nice forged one), you can still bend it (it may not break), but it would still trash a low profile tire if you hit a pothole or other defect at sufficient speed.

Compared to Germany, our typical roads are trash...they tend to build them with MUCH more depth and a foundation designed to last ages. Ours are much thinner, and with the traffice and freeze/thaw cycles common to lots of the country, ours just plain fall apart quicker. Then, the quality of repairs, when required, just aren't always the best. If you want to complain, complain to the local and national government, and get them to actually spend the fuel tax money on road maintenance rather than other things...or, bite the bullet and pay the fuel costs those in Europe tend to pay...the gas costs about the same, the differences are in the taxes...more money to actually make and maintain decent roads. In the meantime, use higher profile tires...or, pay the consequences.
    We shouldn't have to complain to the government for its bad roads, or blame the BMW consumer for not reading the 'fine print.' The issue with these BMW run flat tires is way too common. It's reasonable to expect when you buy a car (in the US or anywhere) that it can be driven on roads that have average wear and tear. If BMW does, in fact, have a disclaimer in their lease/sales agreements warning that the car isn't suited to normal American roads, it's reasonable to expect them to be more deliberate about bringing that disclaimer to our attention. After all, they're now selling a product that isn't capable of doing even the most basic of its functions -- traveling on roads. That's inexcusable. Sure... "buyer beware." But the person who referred to BMW's reputation had it right. There are too many people now having this problem. BMW has a responsibility to either stop making a product that won't function in its most basic capacity, or to go above and beyond the fine print to make buyers aware of its limitations.
    The point you seem to continually miss regarding the BMW wheel issues is that the only complaints I've read with any consistency are those from drivers of cars which have opted to upsize the wheels not once but twice. Look at the aftermarket, there clearly is a market for folks who want to blingize their vehicle (at the expense of both ride and handling), and then when it doesn't work out, those of whom opted to buy their big weels from BMW want to [non-permissible content removed] and complain that it's BMWs fault their $2,000 upgrade didn't pan out.

Regarding the disclaimer which I referenced a few posts back, it only applies to the largest of the wheel options for the 5-Series; it does not apply to the stock setup. Those with more "normal" wheel/tire setups have no more chance of suffering a wheel or tire failure than anybody else.

Regarding the whole RFT thing, I, like many others, feel it was a stillborn idea on BMWs part, and will continue to criticize BMW until they revert to tried and true GFTs.
    My 2011 535 is a lease that includes the sport package option. I haven't upsized anything, or purchased any aftermarket products. I've had so much damage to my tires and wheels in the last 10 months that I'm having to change my driving routes in order to avoid "rough" roads (in Los Angeles... paved roads). I'm having to drive like a pussycat! I also avoid valet parking because I'm worried that the attendant will damage the tires. I've leased many BMW's over the years. Never seen a problem like this, or even heard of a problem like this on any other car. Truly unfortunate.
    If I recall correctly you have in fact upsized the wheels. I may be confusing you with someone else, but if I recall correctly you purchased not only the Sport Package, but you also sprang for the larger wheel option. How does that not qualify as upsizing the wheels?

Just to make sure I'm not confusing your post with that from another, what wheel and tire size are you running?
    The sport package comes only with 19' wheels, that is what my car had. Actually thinking about it the disclaimer that you speak about so often that comes on almost every wheel that BMW sells should come on the sport package option itself. " May not be suitable to drive over roads that every other car can.
    James same problem here. Avoiding roads, and cringing every time you go over a bump. If you have not already done so, file a complaint with the NHTSA. The more complaints they receive the greater the chances are they will act on a resolution for this issue. Second if you haven't spoken with BMW customer support do so today. This will be a battle but just be direct and respectful during the conversation, insist that you meet with someone from BMW. They will most likely refer you to a dealer. Let then know that you are concerned for your safety in this vehicle. This problem is very much a safety issue. After you hang up with BMW CS, assuming that your vehicle is leased through BMW Financial, speak to a CS rep there and tell them the same thing that you are driving a BMW leased vehicle that has enormous safety concerns. They are also a party in this issue and speaking to the correct person may help you to get some action.

I think you safety is worth a few phone calls while stuck in LA traffic.
    Let me know how you make out.
    edited October 2011
    "The sport package comes only with 19' wheels, that is what my car had."

Silly me, I was looking at the BMW USA web site which indicates the Sport Package of some models of the 5-Series can be had with the following:
    - 19" Light alloy Y-spoke wheels style 315-with performance run-flat tires
    - 20" Light alloy Double-spoke wheels style 316-with performance run-flat tires

I guess you know better.

"Actually thinking about it the disclaimer that you speak about so often that comes on almost every wheel that BMW sells should come on the sport package option itself."

As far as I know, all Sport Package equipped 5-Series models come with the disclaimer regarding the low profile tires.
    I've been keeping up with this forum for a while, and I am in agreement with you.

I have no doubt that many dealers fail to adequately explain the issues with low-roller tires to potential customers (as few salesfolks wish to do anything negative in the sales process), but we are talking about purchases well above the $50K range here. I know when I spend that kind of coin, I do a bit of research before-hand, so that I know EXACTLY what I am getting in on...

BMW has made it pretty clear that RFT's are its offering, so I really don't have much sympathy for one who purchases a new BMW and then realizes later it came equipped with RFT's and no spare. Like you, I would prefer BMW offer alternative tires (and at lease a place to store a space-saver spare), but the company sees differently. Since they continue to set sales records, especially in difficult economic times, it speaks volumes about how little the "important and significant" issue is to new BMW buyers.

No doubt a low-profile RFT is tougher on a wheel rim than a comparable GFT, but I can take you to a local wheel repair shop that has no shortage of work in repairing rims that were bent running GFT's, so it obviously occurs across the board...RFT's AND GFT's.

To me, the real issue being avoided is our road and highway decline. Everyone wants a smooth road and no potholes, but much fewer are willing to pay the road taxes required to keep our roads in the shape needed. Its an age-old problem.

I think its human nature to want to blame someone else for bad things that happen to us, and in these particular cases, its easier to blame BMW for bent wheels than to accept responsibility for buying a product that needs an extra amount of "attention to detail" when being used in order to avoid damage.

So, the comment another poster wrote about BMW needing to state a warning that BMW wheels may sustain damage on roads that will cause no damage to any other manufacturer's wheels/tires rings hollow for me...
    No, I didn't upsize the wheels. I know there are other James's on this thread. Perhaps you did confuse me with a different James. I ordered the basic Sport Package. Nothing else.
    Having been a huge BMW fan and consistent owner for so many years, I must say that I'm very sad about this whole thing. Knowing how conservatively I drive, and where I drive, I still maintain that BMW should be taking responsibility for this problem.
    I took your advice and contacted BMW Customer Service. Had some very lengthy and polite conversations. Bottom line: they claim there has not been a higher number of tire/wheel complaints since they have been equipping their cars with RFT's and larger wheels. I was told, therefore, that the continuous damage to my tires and wheels are the result of potholes in the street.
    For 10 months, I have been driving a car that shimmies and shakes at certain speeds. It drives me crazy. And I'm paying so much for this lease!
    I understand the your predicament. Go back to the dealer where you leased your vehicle, and don't back down. See if they will exchange the wheels on the vehicle for 18" conventional tires. Ask them to fight the fight, I have a feeling they will be more willing to help you. I know my dealer eventually came around and assisted me.

How much longer on the lease?
    Keep in mind that with a conventional tire, if you go with one of the kits like that from Continental, when you use it, you will also end up buying a new TPS, as the goop used to seal the hole will also gum up the TPS...that adds at least another $50 to the repair bill, plus the fee for dismounting, cleaning, patching. If anything, a runflat should help preserve a wheel as it is designed to hug and protect the rim much more than a conventional one. The biggest killer is the low-profile tires from upsized wheels.
    New TPMS valve stem + a new GFT costs considerably less than a new RFT.
  • skobeskobe Member Posts: 1
    I am a former Lexus owner who recently purchased a BMW 535xi M-Sport for my wife. I drive on average roads and constantly blowing tires. The people at BMW did not warn me of this when purchasing the car. They declined my offer to purchase the tire protection 2 days after the sale when I learned of these issues. If you google “BMW tires” you will see a long list of people who got burned just like I did. Everyone at BMW knows that the tires are defective and for not sharing this info with customers they are showing that they are not a reputable company. My wife is refusing to drive the car anymore so I’ll be happy to sell anyone this one but am a reputable business man and will tell you that your life will be hell with the tire issue.
    edited November 2011
    I am a former Lexus owner who recently purchased a BMW 535xi M-Sport for my wife. I drive on average roads and constantly blowing tires.

And the wheel diameter is???

The people at BMW did not warn me of this when purchasing the car.

As I said in an earlier posting. few salespeople wish to discuss ANY negative in making a sale. Does this surprise you? Its shouldn't.

They declined my offer to purchase the tire protection 2 days after the sale when I learned of these issues.

Assuming it was new when you made the purchase, I find that odd. I know folks that have bought BMW/dealer sold wheel/tire protection within 30 days of taking delivery of their new vehicle. I wouldn't blame a manufacturer for a bad dealer action.

If you google “BMW tires” you will see a long list of people who got burned just like I did. Everyone at BMW knows that the tires are defective and for not sharing this info with customers they are showing that they are not a reputable company.

One can "google" just about any other manufacturer and find some gripe that many posts complain about. The fact remains, in your particular case that the vast amount of complaints are on larger diameter wheels, usually 18+".

My wife is refusing to drive the car anymore so I’ll be happy to sell anyone this one but am a reputable business man and will tell you that your life will be hell with the tire issue.

The obvious solution is to install smaller diameter wheels with the correspondingly larger tire size, thereby giving more sidewall rubber. To let such an easily made modification keep you from driving an otherwise upscale car seems a bit odd to me.

Why not give a local wheel/rim shop a call and discuss with them? Ask them if they don't see a wheel size-wheel damage correlation....ie, the larger the wheel, the more bent rims and damaged tires. You may be surprised...
    The current rage in wheels (both factory original and aftermarket) is to put the largest diameter wheel wrapped with the shortest sidewall tire one can fit in the wheel well. The buying public is demanding such stupid setups, and sooner or later the buying public is going to learn the hard way that the boy racer look is going to cost the owner a lot of money over the life of the car.

Putting my money where my mouth is, I bought a new car last weekend, a new car which came with 18" wheels and tires with less than 3.5" of sidewall height. Before the new car's engine had cooled in my garage I'd already ordered a set of 17" wheels and tires for it; I installed them yesterday.

Funny thing about the new car, the finance manager of the dealership has the same car and as part of her pitch to get me to buy the tire insurance, she admitted that she'd broken seven wheels in the last eighteen months (not surprising up here in New England). Instead of buying the insurance I bought the above mentioned new set of wheels and tires for less than what the insurance would have run me. My next step will be to sell the OEM set; I figure I can recoup at least eighty percent of my initial outlay for the new wheels and tires. Pretty cheap insurance in my book. :)
    I concur...bigger wheels have little practical use on a car. They may look neat, but a car is a tool, hopefully, a reliable one, and without some cushion there, they will be damaged. Personally, I don't really care all that much what the car looks like, I buy it for practicality and function and fun to drive. Unless you are driving at illegal speeds or on a race track, putting rubber bands on your vehicle is an expensive image booster. You get what you pay for...and pay for....and pay for. If you aren't damaging them on occasion, you either don't drive much, or are not challenging them in the first place, or have been extremely lucky.
    I have 2 BMW's, both equipped with 18" wheels/RFT tires. I have suffered tire punctures, but as yet no pot-hole related wheel or tire damage.

Fortunately, neither car is a daily driver....and, I was aware of the increased possibility of wheel and tire damage. I decided to take the risk, "eyes wide open" knowing the chances were higher of tire related issues, simply because I liked the look on the vehicle. If I do have such an event, one thing I won't be doing is blaming BMW or the tire manufacturer.

Unfortunately, due to budget constraints, roads in all 50 states are going to get much worse before they get better, and I suspect we will see more and more complaints from large wheel diameter owners.
  • bmwowner535bmwowner535 Member Posts: 1