Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Optima Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi kmh2186. Theoretically one could get out of any lease early if they really wanted to. The problem is that doing so very early on in the lease is often very expensive. The Optima probably is not an exception to that rule.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • johnsmjohnsm Member Posts: 1
    Hi carman,
    Just wondering if you can please provide the residual and money factor for a 2013 sxl with 15000 or 18000 miles for 36 months? Thank you!
  • mpeacock122mpeacock122 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2012
    Thanks Car Man! Here's a New Car Lease Worksheet I had a dealer provide me. Could you review this and see if this deal is reasonable?

2013 Kia Optima Ex Premium Package/ Tech Package

MSRP $28805
    Invoice $27059
    Rebate $1000
    Holdback $489

Price $26800
    Gross Cap $26829
    Adj Cap Cost $26831
    Money Factor 0.00117
    Residual Value 57% = $16418
    Taxes $1135

No down payment
    No drive off
    1st payment and 369 inc tax with 15k miles a year or 352 with 12k miles a year

Thanks so much for your help!
  • ponjoponjo Member Posts: 1
    This would be really helpful since I'm looking into getting the car this weekend. Base model, 2012 Optima hybrid. Thanks!
  • sjl4sjl4 Member Posts: 1
    Ponjo,
    I think you should trust your father. He is really skillful at getting great deals on cars.
  • bryan1111bryan1111 Member Posts: 1
    I am about to negotiate a deal for 2013 Optima SXL (Southern California) lease. I've been negotiating mainly thru emails and have some offers on the table, but I am getting little nervous since I am about to visit the dealership tomorrow. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Does this seem like a good deal?

2013 Optima SXL 36 month lease term with 12k miles per year
    zero down
    $329 monthly payment (includes L.A. County tax)
    no hidden fees

Also what kind of fees should I accept and reject? I understand there are doc fees, dealer fees, bank fees, registration fees, tag fees etc... Should I expect them to be included in the monthly payment, or do I need to pay them separately when I sign the contract?

Again any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Certainly johnsm. Kia Financial Services' October buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 Optima SXL with 15,000 miles per year are .00099 and 58% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

I believe that 15,000 miles per year is the highest mileage allowance that KFS publishes residual values for. If you need to drive more than that you will likely have to purchase additional miles on a per-mile basis. It is usually less expensive to do so at lease signing than it is to wait until lease-end and have to pay an excess mileage penalty.

When negotiating your deal on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $1,000 cash incentive that Kia is currently providing on leases of this car.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi mpeacock122. Is the $26,800 selling price that you are being given after the deduction of the $1,000 cash incentive? If so, then you're really at around $750 over invoice and you could probably beat this deal by a couple hundred dollars by shopping around.

The money factor and residual value that you were quoted are right on the money.

Car_man
    Host
  • boomer451boomer451 Member Posts: 10
    Car_Man,

I'm in NE and looking at a 2013 Optima EX with premium package. MSRP 27,225. Looking at 36 mos. and 12K mi. per year. Can you provide the November money factor and residual and any cash available for this lease? Thanks!
  • markonmarkon Member Posts: 5
    My Kia was great at first - then as you, my mileage was not where they promised - THEN the salesperson told me I was driving it wrong, and "you need to break it in".. I am trying to talk to others who were told that. Does this Forum let people DD? mike at sysdisrupt Dot com :mad:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you are in the process of car shopping, using online forums and tools and plan to visit a dealer soon, a reporter would like to hear from you. Please email PR@edmunds.com by Tuesday, November 13, 2012 and provide a few lines about your experience so far.
    Hi boomer451. According to the latest information that I have seen, Kia Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 Optima EX with 12,000 miles per year are .00105 and 59% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

There is a $1,000 cash incentive on leases of this car right now.

Car_man
    Host
  • boomer451boomer451 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks Car_man,
    I've saved quite a bit of money on my last two leases by using your information/advice, and the online lease calculator you've suggested. I was later told by the Kia dealer that only a 39 mos. lease was now being offered and they did use the money factor you stated but used a residual of 56% not 59%. Still was on the EX w/premium package and 12K per year miles. Does this sound correct? I thought I've seen on this board that they can't change the residual but could be mistaken. Thanks again for your assistance. For anyone that's interested here's the deal I received.

MSRP $27,395
    Adjusted CAP $23,875 (incl. $2,000 in incentives and $883 fees)
    residual $15,341
    MF .00105
    Up front costs 1st pymt. only
    39 mos. $260 plus tax
  • nick_cans27nick_cans27 Member Posts: 1
    Car_Man,

I'm am looking at a 2013 Optima SX with premium and tech package. I'm in Long Island, NY (11763).

MSRP is 31,925.

Looking at 36 mos. (or 39 months) and 15K mi. per year.

Can you provide the November money factor and residual? Also, are there any incentives available for this lease?

Thanks and I look forward to your response!
  • 1sttimelease1sttimelease Member Posts: 2
    Car Man (and everyone else) I need your help. Can anyone let me know if the following deal is a good one? I am a first time leaser and went by myself to negotiate a deal but I don't know if it is good or bad. I need to make up my mind at the end of the week so any help would be much appreciated.

I am from MA and got the following offer:
    2013 Kia Optima, LX
    MSRP: $22,300
    purchase: $18,765 (including $2000 for incentives)
    39 months / 12k per year
    Residual: 56%
    Residual Value: $12,765
    MF: 0.00065
    Down payment: $2,500
    Monthly payment: $175

Does this sound like a fair deal? I have never leased before, I have only bought one car and had it for the past 11 years. The purchase price seems fair but I am concerned that it includes $2,000 of Kia incentives. Does that matter? Do you think the dealership can come down any more on the price or should I take this deal and not try to negotiate?
  • theericharris1theericharris1 Member Posts: 13
    This seems like a fair deal. I however would NOT put $2500 down. If you total your car, you will not see that money back. Insurance will pay off the car and any cap cost reductions will not be reimbursed. It makes NO sense to put money down on a lease.

I would present this to another dealer but ask them you want the same numbers on a base EX model. Even if it's $10-15 more a month, the added extras in the EX are worth it, IMO.
  • nick821nick821 Member Posts: 5
    Boomer451

Can you tell where you got this deal. I'm looking to do the same however the #'s I'm getting here on Long Island, NY are higher.
  • 1sttimelease1sttimelease Member Posts: 2
    We are in Massachusetts...I went to a local dealership in Lawrence, MA but I have been talking to a few in NH that might give me a better deal.
    You're very welcome boomer451. You're right, dealers really cannot change banks' residual values so don't worry about that aspect of your deal.

That's a really nice car for only $260 per month with nothing down. Enjoy :shades: .

Car_man
    Host
    Greetings nick_cans27. Kia Financial Services' November buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 Optima SX with 15,000 miles per year are .00107 and 58%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Kia is currently providing a $1,000 cash incentive on leases of this car.

Car_man
    Host
  • optimawannabeoptimawannabe Member Posts: 1
    Car_man,

I've never leased a vehicle, and not sure I want to now, but can you explain the info you posted? What is the money factor? Why is leasing a car better than buying outright? This car will be for my wife and will probably have less than 15k miles per year, but historically her cars aren't in pristine condition after 3 years. I'm talking about scrapes, bumps, bruises and stains that just seem to show up. Thanks.
    Hi optimawannabe. Since you are new to leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles on the subject that are available here at Edmunds.com: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

In short, the easiest way to get a good deal on a leased vehicle is to shop around for the lowest possible selling price and then have the dealer that you decide to go with calculate your vehicle's monthly payment using its buy rate lease money factor.

In answer to your specific question, lease payments are composed of two main parts, interest and depreciation. The money factor is used to calculate the interest portion. One can calculate an approximate interest rate equivalent for a money factor by dividing it by 2400.

Leasing is not necessarily better than buying. Buying a car and holding onto it forever is probably the cheapest. If you plan on getting a new vehicle every couple of years leasing can be cheaper though if the manufacturer overestimates the vehicle's residual value, undercharging you for deprecation, or if there's an attractive money factor or a ton of cash on it.

Car_man
    Host
  • igorr35igorr35 Member Posts: 20
    Car_man,

Do you have December numbers on the Optima SX? Trying to help a friend out with leasing one, and would like to know the mf/residual for 10k or 12k miles.

Thanks
  • strikerzs14strikerzs14 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2012
    Car Man,
    I am in the current process of negotiating a lease on a 2013 Optima, Model EX with the following additions:

All Weather Mats
    Door Sill Applique
    Wheel Locks
    Cargo Tray
    Rear Bumper Applique

The initial quote that I have been given is the following:

MSRP: $27,869
    Adjusted Cap Cost : $23,510
    Residual: 56%
    Money Factor: 0.00105
    Drive Offs: $714
    Monthly Payment w/tax: $277
    39 month/ 12k

What am I missing here? This seems far too good to be everything. I am obviously missing something but I have not been able to see what I am missing. This is my first lease in more than 20 years and so I am not well versed in the in and outs but I am also not a first time buyer. I am going back to a dealer that I have dealt with on several other purchases. The sales man has told me that he is selling this to me for invoice and is giving me 400 of his 700 hold back. He is telling me that the rest is made up in factory rebates. I currently drive a competitive car that qualifies for an additional rebates.

Please advise, thank you.
  • nick821nick821 Member Posts: 5
    The deal you posted is seems to be very good. I just leased (Nov) the same vehicle with total out of pocket of $1660 with a $259 payment w/tax. We used the competitive rebate, the regular rebate along with an additional $750 for "Sandy Hurricane Damage" rebate for a total of $2,750 in rebates.
  • strikerzs14strikerzs14 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am really glad to see this forum here providing consumers with what we need to feel well educated on the system. I am curious as to the money factor. It does seem a little high but will wait to hear from the experts.
  • moose300moose300 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    I was offered the following lease deal on a 2013 Optima EX with Premium Package and would appreciate any feedback if this is a good offer.

39 month/18,000 yr miles/due at signing 1st month payment and fees (DMV etc) for $352.00 per month.

I was told that only 39 month term is available - is this true? Would prefer shorter term offered by most other manufacturers.

Thanks for your help.
  • mgm1018mgm1018 Member Posts: 1
    Yes I would also like to know this as well!

I am looking to lease a new optima SX with premium touring package very soon. The msrp of the ones that they have in the lot for this seem to range from 30,500-31500 depending on the little accessories they've added in which I really don't care too much about but I'd rather not have to order one and wait weeks. Anyway what kind of ballpark lease payment should I expect to pay using someone with top tier credit to lease for me and will have the $1000 rebate plus might put down $500-$1500 more if needed. Anyway I can get this negotiated down to $300 a month for a 10 or 12K/yr (can't remember which Kia offers) 3 year lease. My brother 3yr leased a 31K nissan about 5 years ago from a lot car and got it for $271/month...I'm not expecting to get that great of a deal as he had his friends dad help him negotiate and hes an expert...but I was hoping to get a deal close to that. Really appreciate any help!! Thanks and happy holidays!
  • tampa_ajntampa_ajn Member Posts: 9
    I need advice ASAP. Just left the dealership. After much negotiating, I am still unsure if this is a good deal. MSRP on the car was $35,800, SXL so has every bell and whistle. They started at $492/mo. I almost fell out of my chair. MF .00107. Residual 56%. We had a trade that we were about $1000 under water on. 39 months. 12k/year. $2000 down to pay registration, fees, etc.

Below is the deal they ended on and said absolutely cannot go lower. I qualify for the $1000 rebate but as far as I can tell that is it.

'13 Optima SXL (prem. tech and chrome)
    12k/yr
    MF .00107
    Residual 56%
    $390/mo incl tax
    $2000 down pays 1st month, dealer fee, registration, any other fee, etc.
    So I think price of the car was around $32K? and they are taking the trade.

I can't find much on ppl that are leasing the SXL so hard to tell if I am coming out ok. Thinking about taking it but asking for 15k/yr. I drive a lot.
    PLEASE HELP!
  • igorr35igorr35 Member Posts: 20
    Not a good enough deal, imo.

I helped negotiate for a friend of mine. She ended up getting a SX premium with tech. I got them to do it at $290/month + tax with nothing out of pocket. MSRP on that was $32k approx.

I ran the numbers on a $35k+ msrp SXL, and they were willing to do it for $363 a month + tax with nothing out of pocket. Same residual and mf as you.

Considering the $1000 negative equity, I could see them doing the $390 + tax but with nothing down on the SXL.
  • tampa_ajntampa_ajn Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the input igorr35. I appreciate it. Tax on it is about $25/month so essentially the payment is $365 but with $2000 down. I will try a couple other dealers but am running out of time, wanted to buy before year end in hopes of a better deal.
    CarMan, what are you seeing for payments on the SXL these days? I used your advice on my last lease and got a great deal on my ML350, looking for the same now. Thanks!
    Hi igorr35. Kia Financial Services' December buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 39-month lease of a 2013 Optima SX with 12,000 miles per year are .00123 and 58% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The residual value for a lease with 10,000 miles per year would be 1% higher.

When negotiating your deal on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $1,000 cash incentive that is currently available on leases of it.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi strikerzs14. The dealer invoice price of the car that you described is around $25,765. If we subtract the $1,000 lease cash incentive and $1,000 conquest cash that is currently available on it from that it drops to around $23,765. The selling price that you were quoted is below that and the money factor that you were quoted looks good. This looks like a great deal to me. If you like the car, go for it.

Car_man
    Host
  • dpbuffalodpbuffalo Member Posts: 4
    Just picked up a new 2013 optima lx
    base model, only options were $115 floor mats and $39 ipod cord
    the sticker price was around $22,200 i believe

the residual was 57%
    money factor was low....0001....or something like that..very similar to other lease posts
    got lease bonus money and competive owner rebate which the dealer applies as a cap cost reduction

our county sales tax is 8.75%...and the lease showed i paid a total of $975 in NYS and county taxes.
    I did need new plates as this was an additional car for a family member

so the negotiated price was $212.97 for 39 months, 1,000 miles per month allowance, $.20 overage, it was done thru kia leasing company

the only money at closing was $130 for new plates and NYS vehicle registration and the first month payment.. no down payment, no other money down

(so i owed 38 remaining lease payments,,,which is on the lease contract)

i think this is a good price. what does everyone think.

also dealer provides free oil changs for as long as i lease the car/own it.

I would be happy to refer you over to my car dealer....they were terrific

i am in buffalo ny
  • keyman2keyman2 Member Posts: 78
    Hi
    Go to Yonkers Kia,ask for Joe P or Rich Palmeri. They'll take care of you.I bought my 2013 Optima EX there. Tell them Gregg sent you.
  • trickykilltrickykill Member Posts: 4
    I just picked up a new Kia Optima SX Turbo from Broadway Kia in Portland. I paid $212 at signing and I got a monthly payment of $265. 12k a year for 39 months. The dealer included a big lease incentive because I switched from the Toyota brand. My last car was totaled so I needed to get something quickly and I am really happy that I chose this car. I used a pretty cool lease tool to negotiate with. It gave me a lease score and all I had to do was make sure it increased as I negotiated. It was free and called shrewd lease. The optima drives so much better than my last car.
  • joe24joe24 Member Posts: 67
    Did your price include tax and motor vehicles? I am working on a deal for an Optima Ex lease, white, premium and tech package. MSRP was $28,900 or so. I got it for $248/month with $1,700 out of pocket for 39 months and 12k. The prices include first month, tax (7%), title, plates, etc...

I though it was a decent deal. I got the competitive bonus.
  • joe24joe24 Member Posts: 67
    I think I could have gotten him down to $235 or so but it was for my daughter and she loved the car and they knew it. Next time i leave her home :). Great car.
  • trickykilltrickykill Member Posts: 4
    It included all of the fees, taxes and registration and plates, but there is no sales tax in Oregon :) Broadway Kia did the deal.
  • therastheras Member Posts: 95
    Last week I leased a 2012 Optima Hybrid Tech package. True 0 at signing, $307 per month including 9% sales tax in PA. The sticker was $32,550. 39 month lease with 12K.

What a great car and outstanding buying experience. This forum was quite a help.

Thanks,

TheRas900
  • haggardhaggard Member Posts: 92
    edited January 2013
    Can you share the name of your dealer? We leased a 2012 EX last March, got hit by someone who ran a stop sign, and the car was totaled. Need to get a new one real quick and my local dealer has only two in stock, not what we are looking for.

Thanks.
    Hello AGAIN, Car_man!

Do you have the mf and residual for the 2013 EX for 36 or 39 months (whichever KIA is supporting) and 15K miles per year. Also, do you know if the lease cash and loyalty rebate are still available and at what amounts?

As I posted in #347, our leased 2012 is gone in less than a year and, as we need to replace it, your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Sure haggard. It was Murray Kia in Conshohockin. Ask for Roger for a great quote.
  • sk8rchiq1sk8rchiq1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I would like to lease a 2013 Kia Optima EX w/ premium package and wanted to know if anyone knew of any deals in Long Island, Queens, Brooklyn, etc. Also, how much should I be paying a month for a lease with no money down and I would like to have the taxes included in the monthly lease payment.

I was offered a deal on a 2013 VW Jetta SE w/convenience for $270 a month, 36 months, 10K miles per year, free maintenance + $590 for taxes and DMV fees. I hear mix reviews on the Jetta and my first choice is the Kia Optima..but when I went to the dealer 2 months ago it was approx. $300 a month = taxes and dmv fees for 36 months, and no maintenance deals for the Kia.

This is my first time leasing and honestly I'm fed up. I have been to Hyundain (Elantra), Nissan (Altima), Kia and VW.

Please help!! I want a goood car, great mileage, leahther heated seats, sunroof under $270 a month.

Thanks!
    Thank you, TheRas900! I'm only an hour from them. Will definitely let them know of your referral.

Enjoy your new Optima. We were completely happy with ours for the whole time we had it. The mileage never was quite as hyped, but it was still much better on gas than we what we had, and everything else about the car more than made up for it.

Thanks, again!
    Thanks Haggard, I'm loving the car so far.

Good luck with Murray, I was completely satisfied with my experience there and they have a nice selection.
    Hey haggard. Kia Financial Services' January buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 39-month lease of a 2013 Optima EX with 15,000 miles per year are .00105 and 54% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Kia is providing a $1,000 cash incentive on leases of this car in most areas. There is a $1,000 owner loyalty cash incentive on it as well.

Car_man
    Host
    edited January 2013
    Thank you Car_man!

FYI - The 15K miles residual appears to be 2% lower than for 12K. If so, and with additional miles @ .20/mile, it might make some sense to do the deal at 12K and pay for the extra if and when I use them.

As of now, my best deal is on an EX Base w/only cargo mat, cargo net, and rear bumper applique, 39 months, 15K miles, $0 out of pocket, true sign and drive. The details:

MSRP: 24,495.00
    Sale Price: 22,500.00
    Costs Added: 1,090.00 (595, Acq, 1st pmt, TL and dealer fees)
    Incentives: 2,000.00 (1K loyalty, 1K lease cash
    Adj Cap Cost: 21,590.00
    Residual: 13,227.00
    Money Factor: .00105
    Term: 39
    Sales Tax %: 9.0 (PA sales & use)

Monthly Pmt: 273.58 (250.99 + 22.59 tax)

What do you think?
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    REF: 354
    I'll chime in. I think that is a very good deal. Any time you can get below $11 per 1000 of MSRP you are doing well.

Carman...I need mf and residual for the LX version, 12k /year...
    Thanks Pegasus17.

I thought so too, but I read so many posts of deals much better (without details mostly), and it is good to get opinions of people who have been there, done that.

I ran the numbers on 12K miles, would put me at $260/month, saving about $513 over the term of the lease. That would buy 2565 miles at .20/mile. So, I think that the more prudent route, rather than pay upfront for miles we may not use.
This discussion has been closed.