Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Road Noise

ksayersksayers Member Posts: 59
edited December 2013 in Honda
I have no issue with Honda reliability. However, Honda's are plagued with road noise. My wifes 2007 Pilot is horrid. Noise is fed through the tires and suspension, through the chassis to the interior. It's not wind noise. It's not tires. Listening to the radio is useless.

We are looking at acquiring another vehicle. Is there any Honda that is not plagued with this problem? Toyota doesn't have the issue. Insights appreciated.

Comments

• lostagainlostagain Member Posts: 9
    Amen- my 2010 CR-V is the same. :(
  • ds1392ds1392 Member Posts: 1
    Honda does have some road noise. They concentrate and spend the money on good gas mileage, great road feel (compared to Toyota), durability and a reasonable price. I do think it is a combination of a few things. It is wind noise and most of the OEM tires are noisy. I'm guessing the Acura models have less noise. You pay for that also. I do think a liberal dose of sound deadening material would go a long way. Maybe some thicker material would help(and add weight). Honda needs to address this issue. A note: My Toyota Venza has some wind noise that stands out in a otherwise quiet car. It weighs quite a bit more than my CRV.
  • oldbearcatoldbearcat Member Posts: 197
    I have a 2010 CRV, and, I wish they'd spend a little more money to make the things get better gas Mileage. If I drive it at interstate speeds, the fuel economy just isn't that good. Mine is really noisy as well.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat
  • toledo73toledo73 Member Posts: 174
    You are correct. No idea why Honda cannot address this issue. It is prominent with all of their vehicles. The addition of insulation would have no impact on handling. The handling of my Highlander is great, sure not as precise as CRV. But it is smooth and very quiest. Look at Toyota.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Insulation adds weight and costs. Some of us don't care if we are isolated from the vehicle or the road. Some people prefer to know exactly what is happening with the car. If you drive stick, engine noise is a good indicator of when to shift, rather than looking at the tachometer.

Generally, people who like being isolated don't go for Honda, they usually go for Buicks and Toyotas, the driving appliances.
  • ksayersksayers Member Posts: 59
    I would have to disagree. It's not a matter or wanting to be isolated, rather, of being tired of hearing road noise. The weight excuse is marginal. Toyota does it, Subaru, Ford... and they often get just a good gas mileage as Honda.

The problem is not tires or wind noise. This is an across-the-board design issue with Honda products that taints an otherwise fine vehicle. The issue could be resolved with insulation in the interior, isolation pads between major body components, bushing and strut isolation... lots of opportunities.

As it is, people spend -$1-2K to have some "professional" tear out their interior and install what should already be there. Gawd... Kia, Hundai, Buick, VW... they all have solved it. Except for... Honda.

enjoy,
    Don't feel isolated in the least, just feel comfortable. Have owned Civic, CRV and Accord. All very noisy. Go drive a Nissan Rogue, excellent handling and very quiet. I'm not expecting hundreds of pounds of insulation. By nature, insulation is very light.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Honda has long been critized for road noise but I honestly believe that some people maye WAY too big of a deal about it.

Yeah, if you want to focus on it you can certainly hear it although it isn't THAT much more than other cars. I had two customers bring decibel meters and compare Hondas to Toyotas and both agreed that there wasn't that much of a difference. not nearly as much of a difference as the Toyota salespeople would have you believe.

Honda did "something" in 2010 to make CRV's quietier. We all noticed the difference immediatly. We own a 2003 and a 2011 and there is quite a difference although neither of us find the 2003 to be objectionable.

I sometimes think that Honda tries to buy the noisiest tires they can find and tires make a huge difference. There is also a product called Dynamat that makes a big difference too.

It has to be remembered that what bothers one person is of no little concern to others.
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    Agree. Hondas tend to be noisier than its competitors. When I changed tires on my CR-V I noticed an improvement, though. Still, if you're sensitive to noise, get a Lexus.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    We just bought a 2011 CRV SE and don't find any objectionable road noise. Actually cross shopping the Hyundai Tuscon we found to have more tire noise.

After owning Honda cars since 2002 this CRV is the first without objectionable road noise.

2000 Odyssey, 2003 Accord, 2006 Odyssey, 2008 Accord, 2010 Pilot all had elevated levels of road noise above competitors. The 2010 Pilot was by far the worst with the truck tires.
    Yes, Motor Trends latest reviews of SUV's is very critical of Pilot road noise.
    I will be in acquiring a vehicle in the near term. As previously noted, my experience with my wifes Pilot was revealing. Apologists will note tires and wind noise. Tires may give you a minor 10% reduction... maybe... and wind noise is not road noise (there is the same amount of wind on an asphalt road as a concrete road). Why have a radio if you can't listen to it? There really is no excuse for this long term, well established problem. I would like to tell Honda engineers to go talk to Ford or Chrysler or Toyota or anyone about how to do it. That might embarass them into acknowledging the issue. This is nothing esoteric and has been accomplished for d-e-c-a-d-e-s.

As it is, and as much as I would like to get a CR-V based on my otherwise fine experience with the Pilot, everything is now pointing to a Subaru Outback or RAV4. Quality on all 3 is equal (a good thing). All have slight benefits over each other in one form or another (pick one...). Mileage is similar.

Competition is good. Honda just happens to be losing this particular competition (my sale)... due to something that could be resolved but isn't being resolved for reasons that are not readily apparent.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Have you driven all 3 of those? I think the noise and ride are all fairly similar in the current models, and Subaru's often get worse mileage. I think sometimes people generalize the CRV noise based on the older versions. I believe you really need to move up to cars like Highlander or Traverse if noise and ride is your main concern and decision parameter.
    Yes, have driven them, 2011's. The CR-V is plagued with severe road noise as Hondas have been for the past decade. Very reliable and noisy tin cans. The Toyota has the least noise with the Subaru not far behind.

All three are reliable vehicles. Honda is simply losing customers based on their choice of ignoring a known product issue.
    edited May 2011
    I have to totally disagree with you.

I sold Hondas for almost 14 years and while I certainly do agree with you that road noise has been an issue, I really believe it isn't THAT bad when compared to the other cars you mentioned as well as others.

I have had customers bring decible meters on test drives after doing the same with other cars. In some cases noise levels were the same and int he cases where Hondas were louder, the differences were slight.

Most of the comments about noise come from the salespeople in competive stores. " If you decide to drive a CRV, be sure to bring ear plugs"

But, I agree, Hondas can be noisier than other cars in their classes.

We have owned three CRV's. A 2000, a 2003 that we still have, and a 2011.

The 2011 is MUCH quietier than the 2003. It does NOT have "severe road noise" and for some unexplained reason is markedely quieter than a 2010.

Hona does need to continue their work but I think if you do the decimal meter test you'll be surprised.

And, even the noisiest of Hondas didn't seem to bother most shoppers. Some people are simply more sensitive.

The Toyota may be a bit quietier but can't compare in the handling catagory and the Subaru will get worse gas mileage.
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    This is an historic and classic Honda problem. They are regularly beaten up by the auto test magazines on this issue and Consumer Reports gigs them on it on every model. Yet Honda ignores the issue and keeps on producing loud cars. I nearly bought an Accord a few years ago, but told the salesman that the car was simply too loud. Same with Acura. Until people start complaining by not buying these otherwise fine cars, Honda will gaff us off.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    You may find the Honda noise unacceptable, but looking at CRV sales volume and position, most consumers don't seem to be agreeing, otherwise the sales would be much lower by now. CU overall rates CRV pretty high.
    That's because they have to pick on SOMETHING so they cite road noise.

Yes, the recent models are much quietier.

Yes, Honda needs to continue working on this.

And, yes, a lot of this is overblown. Hondas aren't THAT much noisier than other cars.

Tires make a big difference. It seems like Honda buys the noisiest tires they can find!
    Apologies but I would have to respectfully disagree. If tires were the answer then a lot of people would have simply gone out and bought "quiet" tires. I swapped out the garbage tires my Pilot came with after 10K miles. The Michelins were quieter if I used my imagination. And... noisy tires would sound "noisy" on concrete, asphalt, a little bit of everything. Oddly, my tires a semi-quiet on smooth asphalt and very noisy on anything else. Of course my 4Runner, with M+S tires is more quiet than my Honda on any surface even though the Toyota is 10 years older. Hummm.... I do hope they are working on "it". As it is, they are simply losing business to alternatives.
    said like a honda salesman...
    I'm not a Honda salesman. I retired last May and I really don't care!

If a person is really THAT sensitive about a slight difference in road noise than they serouly should buy something else.

Tires DO make a difference and I speak from experience with our 2003 CRV.
  • kevin_omearakevin_omeara Member Posts: 1
    I took a 200 mile trip today in my CR-V and it was the most miserable trip ever. The road noise is unbearable. I am not sure what other cars people are comparing it to but I can assure this group, the Honda is noiser than any car I have had at any price by a factor of 10. It really should be a "lemon" issue as road noise has been solved a long time ago.

Durable and reliable, yes, but there is no way I will ever buy a Honda again unless this is fixed. It is a disgrace that they have such shoddy work on this particular part of the vehicle.

I can barely think in the car and I had the onset of a headache it was so loud. Is there any tire I can buy to fix this. NEVER BUY A HONDA UNTIL YOU ARE SURE THIS IS FIXED. :lemon:
    Kevin... the two I am debating over (since you asked what people are comparing to the CRV) are the Toyota RAV4 and Subaru Outback. Both have items that may or may not suit all buyers (RAV4's side hinge rear, for example) but both are superior to the CRV if your on a trip more than 30 miles.

Do NOT believe the "it's the tires" scam. It's not. Neither is it "wind noise". As a 2004 Honda owner I can tell you both excuses are bogus. This is a design defect, a failure to isolate the suspension from the frame/chassis. Honda knows it. They just decline to do anything about it. And I take my checkbook elsewhere.
  • oldbearcatoldbearcat Member Posts: 197
    I had the same problem with my 2010. It got so noisy that it drove me nuts. Finally I discovered that the rear suspension had gone out of line and that the rear tires were cupped. I had the car aligned and replaced the rear tires. This quieted the car down some.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat
  • rikrikardorikrikardo Member Posts: 23
    I just took a 600 mile road trip (mostly interstate) from St. Louis to Chicago and back in my wife's 2008 CR-V EX-L and had the exact opposite experience. This was the first time since she bought it new that the CR-V was on a long road trip. We recently had replaced the OEM tires with Michelin Latitude Tour tires, bought in part because of their reputed low road noise. The driving experience was solid, the ride smooth, and the noise well below acceptable at 74 mph (cruise control). My 2004 MDX should be so quiet. There was some kind of tire harmonic at 79 mph but this passed away quickly. So I give two thumbs up to this tire-vehicle combination.
  • james778james778 Member Posts: 1
    I agree. I have a 2007 Honda CRV that I almost sold because I could not bear the road noise and vibrations. I would barely be able to carry out a conversation with my wife when she was seated in the rear seat with the kids. I probably had about 18,000 miles on the oem tires at the time. I gave the car one more chance and purchased a new set of tires and aligned the the wheels. I purchased the Bridgestone alenza and the car felt brand new with a smooth quiet ride. It's not as quiet as other cars that I've been in but the noise is no longer an issue. I now have 41,000 miles with the car and the car and tires are still doing great. I'm sure other tires would do the same, but I've had success with the Alenza. If you're thinking about selling the car cause you can not stand it anymore, try a new set of tires.
    Yes, the tires can make a big difference.

I've always said that it seems Honda looks hard for the noisiest tires they can find.

That said, when I drive my wife's 2011 CRV, there is a HUGE difference between the 2003 I drive. Much less road noise!
  • kohnumakohnuma Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2011 CRV and have just discovered this problem. The road noise is DEAFENING -- no way to carry on a normal conversation. Of course this did not happen while road-testing at the dealership. Should have bought a Kia.
    " DEAFENING" ??

Funny, our 2011 doesn't seem to have this problem nor does our noisier 2003.

If the car you drove at the dealership didn't have that problem I have to wonder if something is wrong with the CRV you bought?

Have them look at it and have them drive it.
  • heather99heather99 Member Posts: 6
    I think the statement is a bit exaggerated. If the claim that carrying a normal conversation is impossible while driving the CR-V is true, then maybe the vehicle has no sound-deadening material at all. Try to look underneath your CR-V. This or you're travelling near the speed limit of the CR-V, which in this case you should slow down for your own safety.
  • superkarnsuperkarn Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2008 CR-V EX-L also. The noise level is fine up to about 70mph for me. Above that and it starts getting annoying. My wife seems to be fine with it though.

We're replacing the tires soon. Hopefully having new tires will help. Don't forget to check the tire pressure. It also affects the ride and quietness.
    The net/net is that when you test drive a CR-V, be sure to take it out on a highway, asphalt and concrete... and any other roads you typically drive. If you believe its too noisy, don't buy the car. If the salesman says "its the tires" then tell him to change them to quiet tires and you will retest the vehicle. He/she won't. Concrete roads are probably the biggest issue. In theory, according to rumors, the 2013's are supposed to be "quieter" which is a good thing considering Honda has been dinged for 5-8 years, over and over and over again, about road noise by just about every review media. Odd, Toyota's are quiet. Maybe Toyota's drive on a special part of the road or.... or.... for those that think it's all wind noise, they drive in different air. Or, Honda has a problem and is sloooowly working towards a solution (hopefully so)
    Our 2011 CRV is a lot quietier than our 2003 and, yes, tires make a big difference.

No store is going to change tires for a picky customer who "might" buy a CRV when they are selling every one they can get in stock.

I have had customersactually bring in meters and these people have driven Hondas and Toyotas back to back on the same roads.

Verdict? The Toyotas have been "slightly" quietier but not by much. People were actually surprised at the small difference.

If you like a soft, floaty ride you might perfer a Buick or a Toyota. There is a small noise difference but a Honda handles oh so much better.

I suppose what bothers one person is no big difference to another so if the slight difference is REALLY a problem maybe a CRV isn't for you.
  • quakerwildcatquakerwildcat Member Posts: 39
    My wife and I really wanted to fall in love with the CR-V, but after taking it up to 80 on the highway, we decided to spend another (gulp) 8 grand on the Acura RDX. Road noise.
    Wow! 8000.00 for how much quietier??

A product on the market that really works well is Dynamat. It is amazing stuff. It consists of sound absorbing pads that are installed inside the doors, wheel wells and under the car. Everyone tells me that the difference in road noise is amazing.

We think our 2011 isn't bad at all but different people are bothered by different things I suppose.
    Having to spend $8000 to get a quiet(er) vehicle is unfortunate. Honda knows how to do it (Acura). They choose not to. Reminds me of the 70MPH shudder on Pilots. Acura models... no problem. Pilots have the disease. Fix: install Acura braces on the Pilot at the exact location as the Acura. They bolt right on to the holes already in place (oddly enough....). Problem solved. Honda just started stripping off parts to cut costs. A case of unintended consequences. Strip off insulation or going to cheaper bushings and frame isolation... same thing.

I went to a Honda dealer Saturday. The CR-V is nice. Went to the Toyota dealer next door and looked at the RAV-4. The side-hinge rear is not as bothersome as I expected. Fit and finish were good. The spare on the tailgate is still unfortunate and I won't go with runflats. But it is quieter than the CR-V on the same roads (same air... both have marginal tires but going from asphalt to concrete is where the noise becomes readily apparent)

Next weekend its off to the Subaru dealer.
    edited May 2012
    That Pilot "brace" one is new to me?

Honda never stripped off any insulation. They just didn't add it in the first place. In the 14 years I sold Hondas, I can honestly say that I can count the times on the fingers of one hand when people complained about road noise.

I agree. Hondas do have a bit more road noise than some other cars do but for the masses, it isn't a problem.

I'm betting that if I were to drive a CRV and the Acura backto back with a decimal meter that the readings wouldn't be that far apart. I've had two customers actually do that!

And, nobody "had" to spend 8000.00 more to get a quietier car. That was strictly their choice. Again, what is a great big deal to some people is of little significance to the masses.
    Yes, they would simply not "add" insulation. The rear end brace was a hot topic on the Pilot board as a fix for 72MPH "shudder" that feels/sounds like wind buffeting. A dealer in Florida now has a "Pilot fix kit" consisting of the two braces (dealer name is on the Edmunds board). And, as noted, the holes exist as the support piece is duplicated on the Acura and the brace simply not applied.
  • carteachcarteach Member Posts: 179
    You've been looking at the same cars as I have with the exception of the RAV-4. (I can't get by the tire issue and the fact that there's going to be a new 2013 coming along.)

I drove the new Acura RDX. (I'm driving a TL now but need to get a wagon/SUV) The RDX leaves the Subaru and CR-V in the dirt. But it's 8K more and doesn't have as much cargo space as the CR-V or the Subaru. I love the looks of the Outback and the cargo space, but I've read so many complaints about its transmission and brakes that I'm hesitating big time to buy it.

Drove the CR-V about a month ago. It was noisy and felt small and light. Please let me know what you decide. I'm feeling frustrated trying to find the right car.
  • nsbio1nsbio1 Member Posts: 75
    How about Mazda CX-5?
  • dirigo1dirigo1 Member Posts: 1
    For the first six months we owned our new 2012 Honda CR-V SE, it was all quiet, no road noise at all. Recently, a very loud generator sounding noise started coming from the rear tires at higher speeds.

I took it to the Honda dealer and was diagnosed with tire chop (not rotating tires). I was only two thousand miles over. Honda would not help us. The tires are the original factory installed with 12,000 miles on them, same as the car.
  • glb5glb5 Member Posts: 39
    Just bought a new 2013 ex awd crv and no it is absolutely not quiet, as the road noise is terrible. The tires are Bridgestones Dueler HP Sport A/S 225 65 17 Does any one know how to fix this problem? I also drive an 2004 toyota 4 runner with Bridgestones duelers with 60000 miles and it is noticeably queiter at all speeds.
  • rikrikardorikrikardo Member Posts: 23
    When the time came to change tires I bought Michelin Latitude Tour's. Great tire for a CR-V. Now all I hear is the engine noise. :)
    Tires may make a difference. Are the Bridgestones the original tires or was this a "upgrade". CRV's (and Hondas in general) have a very bad rep for road noise. Some attribute it to wind noise but can't explain why the "wind" is so much louder on concrete rather than asphalt... (read: it's not). Net/net: you may try tires but, unless you want to pay someone $2.5k to tear apart your interior and install noise insulation, you are stuck. Honda engineers are way behind Toyota and others on this. ALWAYS test drive a Honda on concrete highways. Hope it works out...
  • maluchannmaluchann Member Posts: 1
    Did you call the dealership back? Complain to them?

I bought a 2012 Honda CR-V EX AWD and is noticing noise when driving above 45 MPH. I have made an appointment with the dealership and have them check it out. If it is just tire problem and not mechanical, we, as consumers, shouldn't have to suck up to such a bad choice made by Honda. =(
  • mac134mac134 Member Posts: 9
    Anyone had any problems with the Continental tires on 2012 models? About 4500 miles on mine and I'm starting to hear a noise starting at about 40 mph , that sounds like you are running over the rumble strip. Coasting, accelerating, steady speed , 5th gear, 3rd gear or neutral doesn't change the noise. Going to the dealer after the holidays. I can't wait to hear them say "They all make that noise."
    Update
    Dealer kept car about two hours and said left front wheel bearing is bad. Said they have had several on 2012 CRV and Accords. They ordered it and I'll get it installed tomorrow.
  • snukesnuke Member Posts: 81
    I, too, have a 2012 CRV with the same mileage. I haven't had any problems thus far but your post really has me concerned. This is my 3rd Honda but my 1st CRV (other 2 were Accords). I have had success with my previous Honda's and I hope my good luck continues. I will definitely keep reading these posts. Thanks so much for your information.
    Update

Had new bearing installed today. Took about two hours. Made a tremendous difference in noise. Apparently it was making more noise than the rumble that alerted me.
  • btl05btl05 Member Posts: 1
    Knowledgeable input much appreciated....

Is it just me, or has Honda gone with a much cheaper stereo system in the CRV? Drove the EX-L a few days ago and it didn't sound as good as my 10 year old Civic EX. Is it the stereo, my ears or what? Granted I heard just the radio on the test drive so I imagine a cd would sound better, but none the less I was very disappointed in the lack of beef in what I thought was the top stereo upgrade in an EX-L.

This may sound silly but the factory stereo is of great importance to me. I spend 95% of my car time on an 8 hour run from the east coast to Ohio, then back a few days later. It's rough but the upside is that this is when I get to listen to a lot of music (cd's).

Happy '95 and '03 Civic owner but still weighing the CRV, Mazda CX5, Rav4.