Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Acura RDX FWD Differential Type?

drr98drr98 Member Posts: 80
Open or LSD?

Please, can anyone provide a link to proof?

Thanks,

Doug
Tagged:

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    edited March 2011
    No proof, but OPEN, fully open.

FRONT mechanical LSDs are pretty rare except for really serious off-road vehicles such as the Hummer. "Virtual" rear LSDs using the brakes individually, a form of TC, have become fairly common. So you may find vehicles with "virtual" front LSDs but even those are unlikely to provide a seriously limited locking level due to the feedback to the steering wheel.

With a "base" FWD such as the MDX the most likely reaction to even the slightest level of front wheelslip/spin would be INSTANT engine dethrottling accompanied by moderate braking of BOTH front wheels.

Unless it has a TC disable PB as do most F/awd vehicles.
  • drr98drr98 Member Posts: 80
    OMG. How funny. Thanks for the random, ah, guess.

Just so you know...

'10 & '11 Toyota RAV4 FWD is equipped with an LSD. Acura TL Type S Sedan -'07 & '08 - yep... LSD. There are more, but you get the point.

Couple of rare cars there alright.
    edited March 2011
    Sorry, just NO WAY..!

Front Mechanical LSDs are far too dangerous to thumbs and fingers to put in the hands of the general automotive buying public, UNWARY public. "Virtual" LSDs, maybe, but their "firmness" can be firmware limited.

TC, obviously, could be referred to as a form of LSD.

My guess is that someone in marketing is being a bit too liberal with terms. I'd bet that what these cars really have, as do most FWD vehicles, is a hyperactive TC system. Instant engine dethrottling along with moderate (ABS "rate") braking of BOTH front wheels when even the slightest level of wheelspin/slip is detected.

I'll put money on that if you wish.
    Google "automatic LSD" which is the term Toyota uses to describe the "LSD" in the RAV4.

"Virtual" LSD as a "Subset" of TC.
    edited March 2011
    Not officially an authoritive source but easier than my typing it.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/engine-and-drivetrain/43938-automatic-lsd-- - questions/
    edited April 2011
    I found the part #'s for both...

41100-RN4-000 diff assy $220

41100-RN3-000 diff assy $218

Anyone have any info on the FWD diff type?

Toyota RAV4 FWD has an LSD, want to know if a RDX FWD does as well.

Thanks
    The RAV4 "LSD" is a "virtual" one. TC, Traction Control, braking is used to prevent wheelspin/slip should it occur when too much torque is applied for roadbed conditions. According to the factory shop/repair manual BOTH brakes are applied simultaneously upon wheelspin/slip detection along with FULL engine dethrottling.

Loss of traction on the driven wheels, or wheel, of a FWD vehicle is considered a VERY serious matter.

I suspect you will find the RDX, or any modern day FWD or F/awd vehicle, has the very same "LSD" implementation.
    Please post only if you actually know the answer and can provide a link to the supporting info.

I found the part #'s for both...

41100-RN4-000 diff assy $220

41100-RN3-000 diff assy $218

Anyone have any info on the FWD diff type?

Toyota RAV4 FWD has an LSD, want to know if a RDX FWD does as well.

Thanks
    Well I had to answer my own question after hearing back from the dealer - open diff.

Fully open diff.

No lsd for you.
  • wasfanwasfan Member Posts: 15
    I've read here and there that the RDX rides a bit stiff and is noisy. However, I know that can depend on what you're used to- or have put up with for a while. If you're coming from a first gen CRV into say, a 2007 model or later RDX, how does it compare to the CRV? About the same or is it a bit better? No illusions about the handling of the CRV, I don't try to make it do the things you could do with a Civic or Accord sedan, you just treat it like what it is. How does the RDX compare in handling to the CRV, if the rest is about equal or better regarding ride and noise? Thanks.
    "..No lsd for you..."

No MECHANICAL lsd, but a "virtual" one.
    No, it is an open diff.
    Yes, a completely open front diff'l, but with TC "back-up" to provide a "virtual" LSD.
  • 4mercoachrick4mercoachrick Member Posts: 133
    What does that mean in the real world of driving the new RDX?