Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

06 corolla s mechanical/mileage question

bysoundbysound Member Posts: 1
edited September 2014 in Toyota
i'm hoping someone here might have some idea on this, as i'm not really sure where else to go... i somewhat recently bought an 06 toyota corolla s, and right as i pulled it out of the lot of the dealership, it almost stalled out twice, but never fully did. i thought it was just because it was very cold that day, and the vehicle hadn't run for a while, and there were no real other problems, so i let it go. i began to notice that it idled kind of hard/choppy (for lack of a better way to describe it) when i would roll up to a stop sign or just sit with my foot on the break at lights, and my gas mileage is definitely below the advertised 28 city/37 highway (i figured one time that i was getting about 19 city). i took it back to the dealership and complained, and they told me the mileage problem was just because it was cold outside, and the idle was just 'road feel' and they couldn't do anything without a light on the dash. well, it's warmer now, and the idle seems rougher if anything, but there is still no check engine light coming on. still poor mileage. my warranty expired, and i don't particularly want to go back to them, since they weren't very helpful anyway, but i am paying an arm & a leg for gas, and i'd like to get this fixed if i can. anyone experienced anything like this?

* they also mentioned they switched out the computer right before they gave it to me, but i've driven it about 2500 miles since then, so i've been told it shouldn't be an issue.

Comments

• Options
    circuitsmithcircuitsmith Member Posts: 117
    It didn't do this on the test drive?

How many miles on the car?
    If it's over 60,000 miles it might need spark plugs and get the valve lash checked.
    Try putting a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel injection cleaner in the gas tank.
    Get a compression test done on the engine.
  • Options
    terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Am I right that valve lash probably not a factor in an engine with hydraulic valve lifters?
  • Options
    circuitsmithcircuitsmith Member Posts: 117
    The 1zz-fe and 2zz-ge engines don't have hydraulic valve lifters.
  • Options
    terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    mephisto98133mephisto98133 Member Posts: 4
    It is probably a sensor, not plugs or valve lashing. The plugs are platinum tipped and go 100k. If it were the plug module, it would just stop working.

I hope you were able to get this fixed.

:shades:
This discussion has been closed.