Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oil Consumption - Pilot

ak80ak80 Member Posts: 3
I have a Honda 2007 Pilot 2ith 60,000 miles - and every 3000 to 4000 miles the oil level is extremely low to where I have to addd 1 or 2 quart of oil.

The dealership conducted a consimption test and told me that it is normal for Pilot to burn 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles? I told them that would mean that I would be out of oil every 5000 miles.

Any feedback and suggestion?

Comments

• jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    All of our vehicles over the years we have owned burned 1 qt of oil about every 1000 miles or so. When I have driven and when I notice my oil is down about one qt,I open a new can of quality oil and add it to my car's oil.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
  • dougbthomdougbthom Member Posts: 3
    I would suggest that it is "NOT" normal to use a quart of oil in a 1000 miles. I'd be talking with a Honda rep. I'd be concerned if I was using a quart in 4000 to 5000 miles never mind a 1000 miles.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    What makes of vehicles have you been driving? I haven't used a quart of oil in 1000 miles for over 40 years. Engines today should go 3000 to 4000 miles at least before showing any decrease in oil level.
  • jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    Well I started young driving chevs. Then onto fords, then when I joined the CHP I drove dodges. Of the three makes, the Dodge burned at least one qt. of oil every or close to 1000 miles.

My wife and I have owned 64 Dodge s/w, 59 Chrysler, and now Acuras and before that Hondas. Almost all of the listed car burned oil. My mechanic said that it was normal. And when I overhauled my 53 Chev convert it too burned about one qt. too.

I don't think that 1 qt is excessive just normal wear and tear.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
  • ak80ak80 Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2011
    I have been talking to HONDA Customer Service and they are taking a loosey approach that it can be normal to loose a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. I am not happy with their response or lack of.

Does it make sense that after 5,000 miles i would be out of oil - if I follow the "every 1,000 mile it is normal to losse a quart of oil"?

I expected a better response or resolutionf rom HONDA.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    Virtually every car make sets the standard at one quart per 1000 miles... Would I be happy with a car that used that much oil? Well, not one that was built in the last twenty years...

But, that's what you are up against....

I have a car right now, that seems to be using about a quart every 4000-5000 miles, and that doesn't make me very happy, either... Especially since this is the 4th car in a row with basically the same engine... and, none of the others have used a quart in even 15K miles....

(also, I think you are supposed to add a quart, when you are low... not, wait to run out after 5000 miles.. ;) )

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• wallstreet1234wallstreet1234 Member Posts: 41
    Does the Pilot have a low oil indicator light?