Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3 Lease Questions

Comments

• quasarbaquasarba Member Posts: 4
    If I find a 2007 that has 10k miles on it, but never titled, sold, registered that is being sold as new from dealer, would the residual value be based on MSRP, what I actually pay for it or somewhere in between? Would the percentage be worse just the fact that it is a 2007? What about money factor? Thanks for any help.
  • soonercatsoonercat Member Posts: 48
    I do not believe this car will qualify for any lease programs. The 2008 leases are so good I would go with those. Plus the transmission issue is likely taken care of on the 2008. Just my opinion.
  • quasarbaquasarba Member Posts: 4
    Wasn't aware of transmission issue.

$750 above invoice good on 2008?
    True only 7% markup from invoice to MSRP?
    How much less is true cost than invoice?
  • gnochmangnochman Member Posts: 4
    I believe markup is 8%. Just an FYI, finalized my '08 X3 lease
    MSRP = ~45,300
    Neg. Cap Cost = 42,025
    12K miles for 36 months
    Res: 64%
    MF= 0.00125
    $1 K down (~$2k to start including first month's payment)
    $485 per month.

I can't complain too much as the '08's are getting scarce and I got most of what I wanted on the car.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Here you go, soonercat. According to the latest information that I have seen, BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 X3 with 15,000 miles per year are .00190 and 60%, respectively. The residual value for a lease with only 12,000 miles per year would be 2% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • crazydclawyercrazydclawyer Member Posts: 24
    Dear CarMan -

Many thanks for all of the great info you provide out here! VERY Much appreciated.

Any word on the Dec. 2008 lease numbers? Too early? In partcular, looking for 2009 BMW X3, 12K miles/year.

Also, BMW just announed that sales of BMW brand vehicles decreased 36.1 percent in November for a total of 15,217 compared to 23,808 in November 2007. Year-to-date BMW brand sales were down 12.3 percent, to 231,053 vehicles compared to 263,596 vehicles sold in the same period in 2007. (Story here - http://www.forbes.com/prnewswire/feeds/prnewswire/2008/12/02/prnewswire200812021- 418PR_NEWS_USPR_____NYTU148.html)

Thanks CarMan!
  • kawakibikawakibi Member Posts: 4
    I just got a breakdown for my lease and the dealer includes "assignment fee" for $925 - what is this? Is this marked up?

Also, he is marking up the MF at .165% - does this even make sense? Shouldn't it be .00165 regardless. Its obvious he is changing it because they sent me all four terms 24/30/36/42 months and they are all the same MF. Funny.

Any tips on negotiating the MFdown & what is an assignment fee?
    THANKS!
  • jurganjurgan Member Posts: 2
    Kawakibi,

I don't know about assignment fee, maybe Carman can help. But on my last lease on X3, there was no such thing.

On the MF, a dealer I talked to said that they are allowed to mark it up by 0.0004. It adds up to about 1% more on the rate. On a typical X3 lease, that could add up to $500-600 a year. In essence they double dip on you.

My suggestion is to try to negotiate and if they won't budge, go to other dealers.
  • billmvbillmv Member Posts: 148
    kawakibi..........Ask your dealer if it's another name for the "bank fee." The bank fee is OK, and I think it's about $695 or $725 now on all BMW FS leases. If it's in addition to the bank fee, then it's a "bend over" fee. If it's the bank fee, just marked up, tell him you won't pay more than the BMW FS standard fee. Search recent forums here and in other BMW models to find out.

The money factor is usually the same up through 36 months. It jumps at 48. 42 I don't know about. They've probably kept it the same to 42.

You can also find out the Dec MF by searching recent posts.

Do yourself a favor and check with another dealer.
  • kawakibikawakibi Member Posts: 4
    Thanks guys..... I think its the "Bank Fee" - they marked up the MF why wouldn't they also mark up the Bank Fee - right.

I am dealing with other dealers, but this one quoted me $80 over invoice on a 2009 328i. Of course they have a $599 Dealer Fee - plus all these mark ups. I'm thinking if I can get all these lease terms legit. I have a good deal for a 2009 BMW with Premium/comfort/ipod/integration for $37,500 - MSRP is $39,950. Not a bad discount ($2,450) for a 2009. Right?
  • pitthockeypitthockey Member Posts: 3
    Just leased a 2008 Service Loaner with 4500 miles. Here are the specs:

MSRP 45,300
    Sales 39,783

Net Cap 39,033
    Res 28,389.60 (63%)
    MF: .0014

Base Month 390.04
    Use Tax 35.10 (purchased out of state)

Total Lease Payment 425.14

Monaco Blue
    Xenon
    Sport Activity Package
    Cold Weather
    Heated Steering wheel
    Premium
  • pitthockeypitthockey Member Posts: 3
    12,000 miles per year.
    You're very welcome, crazydclawyer. I'm glad that you like this forum so much. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 X3 with 12,000 miles per year are .00190 and 62%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi kawakibi. It sounds like the dealer is calling this car's acquisition fee an assignment fee. BMW Financial Services charges a $725 acquisition fee on every vehicle that it leases. The dealer is marking that fee up by $200 on your deal.

Also, BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor for the 2008 X3 is .00125. The dealer is marking this up as well. If you live in an area that has a decent level of competition you should be able to get the dealer to charge you the base money factor and acquisition fee.

Car_man
    Host
    Congratulations on getting your new X3, pitthockey. Thanks for taking the time to share the details of your lease with everyone. If you haven't already, make sure to hop on over to the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience. Enjoy your new ride :shades: !

Car_man
    Host
  • coolgirl2008coolgirl2008 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car_man,

I am thinking about leasing a BMW 2009 X3. I went to a dealership this afternoon and this is what they offer. The MF and RV all seem consistent with what you provided on previous post. I am not sure about the purchase price, which is higher than the invoice price and lower than the TMV. Could you please let me know how much above invoice price would be a good price? Also, for some reason the invoice price provided by Edmunds doesn't show an additional charge for the color (Vermillion Red Metallic). Is that reasonable?

Thanks!

MSP: 47,925
    Purchase price: 45,999
    MF: 0.0019
    RV: 62%
    Term: 36months, 12Kmiles per year, no downpayment, no tax upfront
    Monthly payment: approx. 625

Options:
    Vermillion Red
    Navigation
    Sport Activity Package
    Cold weather package
    Premium package
    Heated steering wheel
  • aribannaribann Member Posts: 16
    Is leasing a 2006 CPO considered a viable option?
    Is the BMW FS money factor known for this?
  • dollar_pounddollar_pound Member Posts: 46
    Hi, does anyone have any idea on how difficult it is to extend a 2 year lease to 3 year? I leased 2007 X3 in Feb 07 with following details, i want to extend it by another year and possible change termto 3 year 36K miles.

2007 X3 leased in feb 2007
    MSRP: 43095 (nav,xenon,bmw assist,privacy,Park Distance Control)
    Lease Price: 41011
    24 Months/15K miles
    Money Factor: .0015
    Residual: 75%
    Payment including NJ Tax of 7% is 508.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Why not visit the dealer and ask?
  • fgaz1fgaz1 Member Posts: 15
    Looking to buy tomorrow a New 2008 BMW X3. also going to price a infiniti ex35 and Mercedes ml350, but on those models i have price data.. I am not seeing anything that gives me a idea of what i should pay for the 2008 X3. keep in mind im buying this at the end of the year..should it be hard to find 6-7000 grand off..any input would be great...No lease...
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,568
    There aren't any purchase incentives on '08 X3s, other than the 0.9% financing for 60 months...

So... invoice is probably the best you can hope for on a brand-new one.. That's $3K-$4K off, depending on options...

They do have a pretty good lease program, still..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

fgaz1.....Have you noticed that you're in the wrong forum to get purchase price info? This is the leasing forum, and you say you're buying, not leasing. Try the X3 Prices Paid forum.
  • michael2008michael2008 Member Posts: 2
    We visited a BMW dealership in Northern California yesterday to try to lease a X3. These are the details that were presented to us:

2008 X3 - Premium option & Navigation
    MSRP 45,825
    Capitalized cost 42,897
    Bank Fee 925
    Drive off 2,500 (1st payment, cap reduction of 1,354.02, DMW, fees)
    Rate: 0.00140
    Residual: 25,203.75

Based payment 574
    tax 44.51
    Total 618.81

We feel the rate is too high. Can someone tell me if these numbers make sense? Thank you for your help.
  • michael2008michael2008 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, it's a 36-month lease with 12,000 miles per year.
  • nbergnberg Member Posts: 2
    i just visited dealer for 2009 X3 metallic black leather seats heated seats and steering wheel and privacy glass. $ 3700 up front( fees/deposit/first month payment).
    3 year lease/ 30,000 miles. $ 550 incl taxes. does this seem like a ball park figure to start? how close to invoice price can i get for my cap cost?
  • JWSBMWM3JWSBMWM3 Member Posts: 1
    Vehicle=2008 White
    Cold Weather
    Premium
    Sport
    Servotronic
    MSRP = 44925 w/dest
    Net cap cost = 42,925 ( invoice appears to be 42070)
    Res% = 0.6 X Net cap
    MF = 0.0014
    Zero down (taxes and fees only...no wierd fees noted)
    Monthly payment, pre tax = 573

Need some advice cuz I notice that Res% and MF seem to move around month to month. Also need the latest info on current (Jan/09) #s for this because at the dealer they told me the Res% is now .42 or so on 2009s. Also what might be the same numbers if I buy a leftover 08? Also noticed in my little Excel sheet that residual%s diffs of 2 or 3 make a pretty big difference...
    Hi coolgirl2008. If I was in the market for an X3 right now, I personally would shoot for $500 over dealer invoice and see what happens. That sort of selling price and the use of BMW Financial Services' buy rate lease money factor are probably the best that you can hope for on this model right now.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi dollar_pound. Before even visiting the dealer to ask about extending your lease, try calling BMW Financial Services directly first. Ultimately they are the ones who decide whether you are allowed to extend your lease or not.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi nberg. You should be able to get an idea of how much you will have to pay for this truck at this time by visiting the "BMW X3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience" discussion. If I was in the market for an X3 right now, I personally would shoot for a couple hundred dollars over dealer invoice and see what happens.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi JWSBMWM3. BMW Financial Services' January buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 X3 with 15,000 miles per year are .00125 and 60%, respectively. This truck's 12,000 mile per year residual value is 2% higher and its 10k resid is 3% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • mnovodvormnovodvor Member Posts: 14
    I am about to return my 2006 X3 ( white+leather+heated seats)
    I believe my residual value is about 27,000.
    Do you think I have a chance to buy it back for 23,500 - 24,000?
    Who should i negotiate with? BNW FS? dealer?
    I would appreciate your advice.

michael
    You need to call BWMFS, not the dealer. Just ask what them what they'll sell it to you for. Tell them you need their very best deal, as you will be making your return/buy decision based on that number. Theoretically they do not want to have a vehicle on their hands that they have to sell. They'll either look at it as turning it into a CPO or getting rid of it at auction. CPO means cost to them.

Let everybody know how that discussion turns out.
    Hi, does anyone know if there are any dealer incentives on this truck, any cash back like the X5?
    I have a deal with BMW Manhattan dealer to purchase back my X3
    after the lease.

2006 X3 30,000 Miles White leather + heated seats
    Residual 25,700

BMW will convert it into CPO and sell it back to me for $22,000

I need to return the car after the lease - can't wait for new X3 or Q5 or Volvo ( was thinking about GLK though... ) - there is not much else on the market I would be interested in and current lease terms are not that good.

Good deal?

Michael
    Spoke too soon...

The final deal is $23,500 with 0.9 financing.

Still not bad I think but much worse than 22K ( Dealer said that made a mistake with previous quote)
    Michael
    isn't that high given that residuals for 09 X3 are at 41 percent...You should try to negotiate down to 20K or leave it. i plan to try that with my X3 07 lease which is up soon.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,568
    I think that's a great deal for $23,500 with the CPO.. especially with only 30K miles...

$23.5K with 0.9% is better than $22K without it.. assuming 60 months and 4.9% normal rate.

For 36 months, it's about even ..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    While we've got a little while to go until the lease on my wife's '07 X3 is up (July 2010), the subject of buying vs. leasing comes up every so often.

She doesn't like leasing. She thinks it is ridiculous to be paying money every month to a car that you don't own. She doesn't feel like the car is "hers." She would rather us buy a car by taking out a 5 year loan, pay it off in 4 years, drive the car free and clear for a few years after that. Then the maintenance and reapir costs would outweigh the cost of a new vehicle.

I agree with her to a point. Cars are made so well these days that 100,000 miles plus isn't a problem for most cars. The thing I love about leasing is that at the end of the lease you just walk away from the car. At the end of our lease, BMWFS says out truck will be worth $27,000.

I recently saw an ad in the paper for 2 CPO '07 X3s with 16K & 36K miles. The BMW dealer is asking $24K & $25K respectively. That means the dealer either took these 2 X3s in on a trade or bought them at an auction for $18 or $19K.

Let's say we took out a loan on our X3 instead of leasing it. In 3 or 4 years time we decide we want to get rid of it (Don't get me wrong, WE LOVE IT) for whatever reason. We need a bigger vehicle, it starts to have some problems out of warranty, my wife decides she doesn't like driving a truck... We'd be so upside down on our trade. I know I could always try to sell it privately, but I had a lot of problems trying to sell my wife's former '00 Mazda Protege ES for $2,000. I can imagine the headaches of trying to sell a $30K car to a private party.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Hey dollar_pound. Unfortunately, I do not believe that BMW is providing any cash incentives on the 2009 X3 right now.

Car_man
    Host
  • nickr1nickr1 Member Posts: 51
    To put it in perspective, a similarly specked Land Rover LR2 with an almost identical price, $42,000 is $2,500 down and $660/month for 36 months. However, your feeling that the BMW rate of 618.81 is too high is correct in the sense that it can be lower if the dealer is motivated to lower it. He will tell you that it's the price that BMW sets but that's not true if he's motivated and willing to eat some of his own profit, which unfortunately, BMW dealers almost never do because they think they don't have to.

Dealer to dealer deals can be a little different so check with at least two other dealers, and get an internet price, most dealers have an email guy that answers lease questions for internet only deals. It's a lot easier than driving in and haggling, internet deals are sometimes a little lower. Give them your exact spec but don't tell them you are shopping or already know what it is. Good luck.
    This info may help you if you are considering to purchase X3 after lease:
    I have purchased back my X3 2006 after the 3 year lease:
    2006 White X3 premium leather, privacy glass, heated front seats, otherwise standard
    29,000 miles
    Residual value $25,700
    Purchased at BMW Manhattan for 23,500 with 0.9% financing
    as a CPO (with extended warranty)
    At BMW Brooklyn I was quoted 29,000.
    Michael
  • anjoranjor Member Posts: 40
    Michael....does that purchase price include tax?
    I am about to purchase my 2005 X3 at lease end with CPO and 0.9% financing (that was the promotion last month that I secured). I was quoted a price and was told the CPO could run between $3,000-$5,000,. They are performing a 40 point inspection (for $150) and will let me know if it qualifies. Then, the dealer will tell me if I need new tires, etc and how much it will cost, so they can "adjust" the quote accordingly. I was under the impression that when they CPO the car, they sell it back to you in "like new" conditon. My dealer said that since it is my vehicle, it is a "lease to retail" and they don't fix anythng they don't have to. Just curious if you needed any work done on your X3 when they certified it and if they charged you. Also, what condition was it in when they sold it back it you? If they don't intend on "fixing" anything then, I would have liked to take the "Orignal owner extended warranty" since it covers more than a CPO, but I wouldn't get the 0.9%. Thanks for your input.
    Anjor,
    1) my price did not include tax. it did include CPO. With tax in NY full price was close to 25,000 and final per month payment of $435 for 60 month

2) My car was in pretty good condition, not after-lease charges. They did not charge anything extra - 23,500 was all I paid ( plus inspection, registration, some other fees about $200) They did full detailing on the car and replaced some plastic inserts inside - like mirror controls on the door.

Michael
  • acorvineacorvine Member Posts: 17
    Do you know of any lease specials on the 2009 X3. I don't want it loaded, just heated seats and leather. And do you think I should wait until the end of August when the 2010 start coming in??

Thanks.
    Hi acorvine. You're in luck. For some reason, BMW decided to pull its lease support on the 2009 X3...but now it's back. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 X3 with 15,000 miles per year are .00250 and 53%, respectively.

It is difficult to say what BMW's lease program will be like on the 2010 X3 when it is initially introduced at this point.

Car_man
    Host
  • lalakrsfanlalakrsfan Member Posts: 44
    Hi Car_man,

Need the MF and Residual on a '09 X3 for 10K miles both for 24 and 36 month lease. Also, can you confirm what loyalty cash/incentives that are available for current BMW FS customers?

Thanks once again for your help on the '06 BMW Z4 we are turning in soon. The info you've provided over the years has saved us hundreds if not thousands of dollars!
  • lalakrsfanlalakrsfan Member Posts: 44
    Hi Car_man,

Didn't see a reply to this request.Can you please provide the MF and Residual on a '09 X3 for 10K miles both for 24 and 36 month lease? Also, can you confirm what loyalty cash/incentives that are available for current BMW FS customers?

Thanks,
    Tyler
    Here you go, Tyler. According to the latest information that I have seen, BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2009 BMW X3 with 10,000 miles per year are an unattractive .00280 and 49%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are an equally unattractive .00280 and 43%.

BMW is currently providing $4,000 dealer cash on this truck.

Car_man
    Host
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    out sometimes...

When we leased our 2007 X3 back in July of 2007, the residual value at the end of our lease is 65% after 3 years. 75% if we would have taken a 2 year lease.

Things were much different back then.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• johnpatrick3johnpatrick3 Member Posts: 2
    Hello...I am trying to find out if BMW is still offering an early lease termination special for X3's for June 2009. My understanding was that in May BMW was offering to waive the final 3 months payments if you leased a new BMW (ie, a pull-ahead program).

Any information would be appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.