Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 350 Driving Experiences and Problems

dysdys Member Posts: 11
edited April 2011 in Lexus
I have a 2008 RX350. Recently I noticed that when I start the engine while ;the steering column is still extending to its full position, I could feel a momentary knock on the steering wheel. I don't recall feeling this when the car was new. If I put the key in (but not starting the engine) and just let the steering column to extend to the final position, and then start the engine, there is NO knock.

I showed the Lexus dealer service person this the other day and he insisted that it was normal. But I really don't recall having this issue in the past and one of my coworker confirmed that his RX350 did not have the problem.

Can anyone let me know if your RX does the same? My warranty period is going to expire in a month and I want to make sure this is resolved if it indeed is abnormal.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• bond8bond8 Member Posts: 33
    Hello All,
    I know a lot of people have already bought the new 2010 RX350 and wanted to start a new place to start discusing your driving experiences, new features and any issues that you might have.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    new place to start discusing your driving experiences, new features and any issues that you might have.

Well, have at it! You can start by sharing your driving experiences, features and issues. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • joxajoxa Member Posts: 2
    I bought 2010 rx350 at the end of march and I have been happy with it. However, I have noticed engine/exhaust noise during acceleration around 2100-2300 rpm. Maybe like something is vibrating somewhere in the exhaust system? It bothered me enough to bring it in to the service department. They checked it out and responded by saying that it was normal and the noise is just b/c the engine is "under load". Has anyone else noticed this?
  • robalaorobalao Member Posts: 4
    I am going to purchase a 2010 RX 350 Lexus and in Maryland they only get AWD. Since I have been driving FWD for over 10 years, (9 of which in a 2001 RX 300) and am very happy with FWD, I do not want to pay more to get AWD and in addition lose gas mileage. Has anyone had any experience that would tell me that I am incorrect due to safety or otherwise? Please advise.

Robalao
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    Unrelated to your question, but how many miles does your 2001RX have and, if you trade, please let us know what the value of the trade is worth. I own a 2001 and want to trade for a 2010, so I am wondering. Thanks
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Since FWD vehicles are so patently UNSAFE in wintertime adverse roadbed conditions even any small thing, such as F/awd, to "mediate" that problem is worthwhile.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There you go again. Patently silly hyperbole. Let's not rehash my experience driving FWD for 20 winters in Alaska versus your forays over the Cascades heading to Montana.

It's the tires. And the loose nut behind the wheel. :P
  • robalaorobalao Member Posts: 4
    To rparis:

I have 168,000 miles on the 2001 RX 300. I went to CarMax and was offered $7500 so I think that is the value. I may give it to our daughter in law.

Hope that answers your question.

Robalao
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    Based on the number of miles $7500 seems quite good in comparison to what dealers are offering for a trade. Thank you.
  • evinrudeevinrude Member Posts: 12
    I test drove an RX350 2010 with ventilated/heated seats. While driving with the ventilation control set to maximum cooling on driver's side, I raised myself from the seat and put my hand on the seat feeling for air circulation. Only the front part of the seat bottom had air coming through the perforations. I couldn't feel any air coming out of the rear portion of the seat bottom. Anyone else checked this on theirs yet? My thighs were being cooled but my "booty" was not.
    I read that the NAV option has a HDD. Does that mean it has a hard disk drive where I can store audio files? If not, of what use is the HDD ?
  • tyler70tyler70 Member Posts: 82
    that is normal. the cool air only comes out between your legs only, not your booty.
    Upon what are you basing your response that it's "normal"? Is it normal because the factory forgot to adjust the fan inside the seat to ventilate the entire seat bottom instead of just the front?
    It's the COOL air flowing UNDER the seat leather/vinyl layer that cools your "booty". It must be "exhausted" somewhere or there would be no flow.
  • billdavbilldav Member Posts: 18
    I'm having the same problem with my 2010, very little air from either driver or pax. My 2006 GS300 had excellent seat cooling for both the back and bottom.

Bill
  • jerry116jerry116 Member Posts: 13
    anyone has rattle problem on RX2010 ?
  • omgl777omgl777 Member Posts: 15
    Hi guys...I originally had problems with the manuel A/C buttons freezing up and not working (only being able to change the temp with Voice Control), well Lexus fixed the A/C by replacing the radio system, which oddly enough is connected to the climate control. Well, this is also connected to the Navi system which is now not working well. My car has been back 4 times to get these problems fixed. Right now, it's still at the dealer, has been all week, they are trying to "learn" how to fix my problems. I was told I'm being the genuine pig with the new model, that everyone is learning. Great, nice it's only 3 months old.

Be for warned, I would have waited longer to buy this car had I not had trust in Lexus. Shame on me.

Good luck with yours.
    where are you hearing the rattle from? I have been driving mine for about 3 months and havent had any issues.
    I had an issue with transferring my phonebook contacts from my iphone. The transfer would take extremely long time - upwards of 45 minutes and still not complete the transfer. So I then would delete and start all over again and then it would only transfer the first contact. I was never able to transfer the entire phonebook. I took it to one dealer and they told me its my phone. I didnt believe that and took it to another dealer. They told me that Lexus had some issues with software in some of the first vehicles manufactured. They have upgraded the software since then and my car might have the old software. The technician then contacted Lexus and go the new software and loaded it on my car. After that the phonebook transfer took just a minute.

Also I was finding the steering wheel quite stiff during the first 2-3k miles but the ride now has been getting smoother. I am loving it.
    Rattle seems be a old problem for all Lexus RX cross 300 to 350. I just wonder who had it now on new RX 350. Since now is summer it might be hard to feel or found. lets see the winter result.

I found one inconvient for voice command is you can't do like 'go to xxx' which in your address book. I think they should add it in voice command list because it is so useful and so easy to add it.
    I completely agree jerry. First of all you can only use voice commands for navi while driving. I would be really useful if the address books can be accessed by voice commands.
  • goblue5goblue5 Member Posts: 2
    I miss the trip time (engine start elapsed time) in the MID. It was there in my previous RX. I found the info very useful knowing how much time I had been on the road already and I had used it very often. I am sure the vehicle is still keeping track of it. Anybody knows why Lexus took such good info away?
  • tennis_lexustennis_lexus Member Posts: 10
    Does any know how to set up bluetooth for RX350 2010 without Nav? I got to the point passkey and don't know how to next. Any advice or comment. My phone is Sony Ericsson with AT&T.
    Thank you,
    I have Sony Ericsson with AT & T too. very easy to setup . read the car manual and get the passcode, should be done in less than 10 sec.
    voice command, call xxx is real amazing after contact transfer done.
  • tennis_lexustennis_lexus Member Posts: 10
    Thanks jerry116,
    Just following your instruction and I make it.
    Thanks again!
    saw some consumer review said the car rolls back on slight incline. anyone noticed? I just wonder whose car dont roll back on incline if you dont use break. at least all the car I drived will roll back.
    Lots of newer cars with DBW are leaving/shifting the automatic transmissions into neutral when/while stopped and that's resulting in more propensity to "roll" than many owners are historically used too. It was NEVER wise to use "gas" (or electric) for hill-holding but the true ability to force the issue onto the driver to brake (as one does automatically with a stick shift) instead has not been really possible prior to DBW.
    I too had my software reinstalled on my new RX 350. You should double check the XM Nav Traffic and Weather (if you have it). After my reinstall, they weren't working properly and you need to call XM to have it reset.

Otherwise, no problems, except that the bumper is popping off on the front right corner when driving long distances at higher speed (very annoying). Not sure if this happened with a valet service or another defect. I'm going tohave the dealer look at it once I go for service.
  • gold2010rx350gold2010rx350 Member Posts: 1
    My 2010 RX350 started having intermittent problems with the radio/nav system at around 3000 miles. The radio stops playing on its own and then the display screen freezes up, and the only way to get it to work again is to turn the ignition off and back on. I am waiting for a new radio to arrive at my local Lexus dealer in about a week. Very disappointing for a vehicle costing well over 40 grand.
  • dllrxdllrx Member Posts: 1
    The front bumper on my 2010 RX has also popped off just below the drivers side headlight. Dealer replaced the plastic bumper fascia and a bracket. Now two weeks latter the bumper has popped off in exact same spot again. Have appointment to get car back in for service.

Possible design problem?
    Hey dllrx,

That's the same exact bumper popping problem I have. I wasn't sure if it was just mine, but seeing how you are having the same issue, this might just be a design flaw. I plan on telling my dealer the next time I go back in for service.
    Hey guys, the rattle might be from your license plate. When I installed my plates I started hearing a rattle coming fromt he back everytime i would hit a bumper. I simply placed some felt between the plate and the car, tighten the screws and viola, rattle gone.

Hope this helps.
  • wrahnwrahn Member Posts: 45
    I have the 210 RX350 with Nav and XM radio, CD AUX and would like to have the audio screen on so I can see what songs are playing. I can't figure out how to turn off the NAV and only have the audio indicated on the screen. Better yet it would be nice to have the Nav and audio on at the same time.

Anyone have any ideas n how I can do it?

Thanks,
    Wes
    I first registered this complaint with Lexus in '01, glad to see they're still in the RELENTLESS PURSUIT mode.
    I found the answer on another fourm: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-third-generation/443707-can-i-keep-audio-info- -on-the-screen-for-more-than-20-seconds.html

The answer is to change the setting referenced on page 316 in the Nav system manual. The General Setting # 3 (Auto Screen Change) has to be OFF.

Thanks to all who sent information,
    Wes
  • stylus1133stylus1133 Member Posts: 1
    After about 800 miles, I noticed that the passenger side front bumper popped off just under the headlamps. When I took it in for service, the dealer said that they opened a ticket with Lexus, and that Lexus is working on a retrofitted clip that would fix the problem. They do not have the clip available yet, and they do not know when. The dealer told me that they would call me when they get them in. My guess is that it will take at least a month. They also said that I can keep driving around with the bumper issue, because it will not damage the bumper.
    How do I setup the system so the volume of the Radio, CD or MP3 decreases when the navigation voice comes on, so I can hear the instructions?

I believe my RX 300 2005 had this feature, so I could hear the nav instructions even though I was listening to the radio.

Thanks,
    Wes
  • sxylxysxylxy Member Posts: 29
    I owned a 2007 RX350 for 3 years and never went below 16 mpg around town. My 2010 is only getting 14.5 around town, same driving style, and I'm on my 3rd tank. Any ideas? I know this model is heavier, but it's rated HIGHER on the city mileage than my old 2007. Anyone else experiencing this during "break-in" and does it get better?
    I was having a similar experince where my average was lower than the advertised one. I am getting about 15-16 mpg in the initial 2k miles. Now I have about 4k miles and I am getting about 18 mpg city and 22-24 mpg highway. In my case there wsa a slight improvement in mileage after about 3k miles. Also I noticed the steering wheel and suspension softened up a bit after the break in period.
  • fireman19fireman19 Member Posts: 7
    After picking my 2010 RX 350 AWD Nav, Premium, Comfort pkg......drove it for the first time out of my garage and while driving on the highway had rear bumper on both ends pop off. This might not have been as big of an issue but since I was going about 70 miles an hour it pulled apart even farther......it looked like the car grew wings. Made it to the dealership and is currently in the body shop with less than 100miles on the car. I had even noticed that the front bumper was not sitting as tight to the hood as the other side....I guess that was the next thing to go. I was told by the director at my dealership that Lexus Engineers know of the problems and are working on a fix to anchor the bumpers more securely. Needless to see extremely frustrating thing to happen being that it was the first time I had driven it aside from driving it home from the dealer. Kudos’s for the most part on how they handled this issue. Good costumer service given the situation.
  • jklossjkloss Member Posts: 39
    I had my front bumper facia come loose during my first month. Contacted Lexus HG in CA and they did not know of a fix yet and have never heard of this problem. Of course they said they do not talk with engineering so would not know of any problems.. They want anyone with this problem to have their local dealer/service manager contact Lexus engineering with information on the problem - ie open a "ticket". People in Lexus Ca were nice but not helpful.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    Sounds like everyone is losing their bumpers, doesn't sound nice.
    At all...it's not a good feeling having to check your bumper everytime you park after being on the freeway. Hope Lexus figures out how to fix the problem fast....I'd like to have a sense of satisfaction with my purchase.
  • degirldegirl Member Posts: 45
    Hi Everyone,

My 2010 rx does not have Navigation however, when I change the radio from a fm station or I pod to XM I can barely hear it. I have to turn up the volume almost twice as high to hear the xm radio. Does anyone else have this problem or a solution?
    Thanks
    I understand, I wouldn't be happy if I had to worry about my new car bumper, I don't like trouble especially in a new car.

I'd rather sell my new car if it has any problem whatsoever.
    If it was that easy. To be able to sell a car with so many problems and not be held accountable. We would be as much as fault as Lexus. Better to fix the problems then get rid of this POS.
    Has your problems been solved? btw, which lexus rx350 is yours, the Japanese made or the Canadian made?
    I have a Japanese made RX 350. The Vin # starts with JT. Very disappointed in Lexus. Going back to the dealer next week (again).
  • trainman2343trainman2343 Member Posts: 22
    Just curios was your RX made in Japan or Canada? My Rx is 5 months old Apx 5K miles no problems at all., No sign of a problem with the bumper. It may just be a freak thing that happened. This is my fourth RX and the 2010 is definitely the best so far. MIKE
  • trainman2343trainman2343 Member Posts: 22
    Hi Wrahn. The answer is to contact Prestigious Society INC.OEM Navigation and Video Enhancement. I Had one installed, It works great. Google search Prestigious Society Phone 562 644-3268 Hope this helps you...Mike