Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 350 Driving Experiences and Problems

Comments

• jogan1jogan1 Member Posts: 11
    Items that are not on 2010 RX350 that were on 2007 RX350:

1 - Floor mats for ivory interior were ivory instead of Dark Brown. In order to get ivory 2010 Carpet Floor Mats, you must order & pay for the Premium Carpet mats at a cost of approx $350.

2 - On 2007 RX350 the cargo area cover could be removed and stored below the rear floor. Not so with the 2010 RX350

3 - On previous RXs body side molding in exterior paint color came with car. Now they are no longer cone on 2010 RX350. For 2007 - 2009 RXs the body side moldings are pressure sensitive and come in the exterior paint color so they can easily be replaced when necessary.

4 - Placement of 12 volt outlets on 2010 RX350 is now deep inside of the console and to get to you must remove 2 trays.

5 - 2007 RX350 had Adaptive Volume Control so that when the radio was on and you were using the Navigation and the Navigation Voice was speaking the radio volume would automatically be lowered. Not so on the 2010 RX350

6 - Same V-6 engine for 2010 RX350 as in 2007 RX350 but mpg is lower.

7 - Electronic Card Key now has to be purchased instead of coming with vehicle as mentioned in an earlier post.

None of the above items keep the 2010 RX350 from being a beautiful and fine auto. But for previous owners of 2007 - 2009 RX350 it seems Lexus decided to save some $ and or had backward engineers ie placement of 12 volt plugs in front, deletion of the Adaptive Volume Control for the radio.
  • cwaynecwayne Member Posts: 81
    I have had my rx350 for 6 mo and have 3000 mi. when engine is cold there is a lifter noise when accerlating for a couple of minutes until the engine warms. I called service dept and they said this was normal. I am going in for service in a couple of weeks but would have to leave car there to cool off for this to happen. I will make sure that I do service on auto at correct intervals in case the engine blows. I have had 2 other rx330's and they have been wonderful autos. Other than this noise I have no other issues with the rx.
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    These are some of the reasons why I'm a little scared to give back
    my '07 RX when the lease is up. I might regret it. It seems as if whoever was in charge of the interior design on the 2010 RX forgot to do their homework on the things that worked so well on the 2004-2009 RX's. When the next generation car comes out every five years, it's supposed to have all the little goodies that the previous model would have had plus some extras. But in this case, they've taken away some things and added others.

For instance, the 2010 RX has a donut for the spare tire, whereas
    the '07 has a full-sized spare. I've mentioned the captain's chairs before on these posts. I've come to appreciate them. They're no where to be seen on the 2010. The inconvenient placement of the power plugs is just so counter-intuitive.

There's no doubt that I am definitely shopping other SUV's in this class. I'm just having a hard time justifying shelling out the amount of money for any of these SUV's out there as opposed to just buying out my lease on my current RX because they lack some of the basic niceties that I've already got on my current vehicle.
    I've had my '07 RX350 for three-and-a-half years now. On cold start-up, particularly when it's been rather cold out, the 3.5 V6 engine on this vehicle is kind of noisy on start up and makes that
    "ticking" sound. Apparently, this is supposed to be a normal thing
    with this particular engine. Once my car gets warmed up, maybe after about fifteen minutes??(Have never timed it), it's back to normal, quiet mode.

In fact, I believe the 3.3 liter V6 in the 2004-2006 RX330's was a more quiet engine compared to the 3.5 V6, but also less powerful. :shades:

Would be interested on hearing feedback from anyone that drives a 3.5 V6 from either Lexus or Toyota, and if they have experienced the same thing.
    My 04 and 06 rx330's did not make this noise, but if this is normal for the 3.5 engine then fine. Except for the location of the 12 volt receptcales i love the car.
    The 07 RX350 we purchased new did not have any abnormal engine noise. Just got a 2010 and it only has a few hundred miles with no noise.
  • rxersrxers Member Posts: 9
    Hi Guys,

I have a 2010 RX FWD that has about 200 miles on it. After driving one day, I parked the RX in the garage and noticed when I went back into the garage a humming noise (sounds like a small electric motor) running. I look around and below the vehicle and noticed its coming from the read axle area. I dont know how long it was running or how long it ran for because I went into the house a few minutes and came back out 30 mins later and it stopped.

Any ideas?
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    When you went back to the garage did you have your key within range of the car?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "..sounds like a small electric motor.."

The fuel pump..??

Mounted inside the fuel tank very near the rear diff'l.

Retractable, retracting radio antenna..??

The potential for vapor lock in the fuel line could be somewhat alleviated by running the fuel pump for a few minutes once the engine has been shut down long enough for things to have cooled off.

On the other hand Lexus may have finally wised up and what you heard was an exhauster "assist" fan/blower helping to remove the evaporator condensate from the A/C plenum and passenger cabin. My DIY fan/blower installation is in the lower driver side rear quarter panel adjacent to the factory exhauster port.

More concise information at airsept.com regarding their EED, Electronic Evaporator dryer.
    Found it..!!

New emissions feature. A brushless DC motor for the vapor canister emissions system located near (in..?) the fuel tank. From what I can surmise it might run at any time provided if/when there is a vapor pressure buildup in the gas tank.
    I'm impressed. The 2010 RX350 climate control system will now automatically switch the system into foot/def air outlet mode (an "abundance" of {warm..??} system airflow to the interior windshield surface) if climatic conditions (assumption...COLD) indicate a probability of windshield/window fogging.

Good move...!!

Now tell me that it doesn't still automatically switch into cooling mode (dash outlets, horribly discomforting cool and dry airflow to the face, neck, and upper body, on the coldest night in the dead of winter.and I'll be doubly pleased.
  • fl32459fl32459 Member Posts: 9
    I am looking at the RX 350 and live in Florida. The dealer has no AWD available. What's the difference? I've had cars w/ FWD, but the last two SUV's had AWD or four wheel drive. No, I don't go off-road. Thanks for any help.
    rparis - keys were not nearby. Keys were in the house.
    wwest,

not sure how you got that, but if it's true...you are a damn genius. ...now how do i know if that's it? anyone else get this? how often would this happen (typically)?
    "..What's the difference?.."

Not much.

If you stay in Fl I wouldn't bother. But if you feel you really need AWD then you should seriously consider the Acura RDX's SH-AWD system.
  • imoimo Member Posts: 16
    This happened to me recently too while car parked in garage
    Humming sound came from some where at the rear of the car .
    I had no idea why the car made that noise.
    I cannot disconnect my cell phone while on a call and receiving another call. I have to shut my cell and the car to use the blue tooth again.

Can anyone comment on similar experiences and the solution?
  • go_orangego_orange Member Posts: 28
    I live in NY and the situation here is just the opposite - dealers have lots of AWD available and hardly any FWD available. We get some snow in winter, so most customers want AWD. I can't see why you'd need AWD in FL if you're not off-roading. I'd say get the FWD and save some $$$ on the price of your RX. You'll also get slightly better gas mileage. If you move to a wintry place that is not so extreme, you could get by for the most part with FWD + all-season tires. Or, you could invest in a set of winter tires. FWD + winter tires probably puts you in a similar place as compared to AWD + all-season tires (which is what the AWD RX is equipped with).
    "..if you're not off-roading.."

Typical NY'er thinking IMMHO.

PART-TIME 4WD and 4X4's can be "about" off-roading, especially the 4X4 "granny-grunt" mode. R/awd is about safe operation when the roadbed surface has low traction coefficient. FWD and F/awd vehicles are of questionable safety value except on highly tractive surfaces.
  • marqevansmarqevans Member Posts: 29
    Just had my 1000 mile service done and did not authorize any changes to settings, but now upon approaching the car after using the remote start I have to use the unlock button on the remote to get into the car. Before the service I could just open the door. Is there a way to reset this myself?
  • arthura2arthura2 Member Posts: 7
    There is no difference between the motors in the 2010 RX AWD or FWD. Keep in mind there is a "normal" (so says Lexus) engine piston slap when the motor is cold and excelled to 18 - 2200 RPM's. You can hear it if you race the engine to those RPM's while in park. This lasts about 15 minutes or until the engine warms up. I HATE IT!!! Also check out where the 12 volt power adapter is ----- under the center console box (inside!) also terrible. Don't know what Lexus was thinking.
  • jde5jde5 Member Posts: 14
    I just got an RX350. I'm loving it so far. Toyota says Lexus isn't affected by the gas pedal issue recall, but I live in Ontario, CA where the supplier for the bad pedal is also located. What are the chances that my car is also affected by the issue? I'm planning on asking my dealer to trace the origin of the gas pedal in my car, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if they can do this? Besides, there's no telling if they'll tell me the truth or not.

Any advise would be much appreciated.
    "..What are the chances.."

In the "end" since the gas pedal isn't likely to be found the primary causative factor in these WOT run-a-way engine episodes the chances of your RX350 having the flaw is just as high as any other vehicle using firmware specified and composed by NipponDenso, Denso US.

Just my opinion.
  • jde5jde5 Member Posts: 14
    Hi,

Thanks for your opinion.

But where is this based from? I would like to know more...
    Then read everything you can find on the matter.
    There is a "letter" oi the serial number that will determine where the vehicle was made, either Japan or Canada. I think if the first letter is a J, then it is Japan. Your can ask your dealer.
    I also have the so called engine slap until engine is warm. Mine only does this when accelerating This sounds like metal on metal to me.
    Yup, same noise. Lexus says it is normal. I disagree and am pursuing further.
    Piston slaps ARE NOT NORMAL!!!! I have been in the automotive business for over 48 years. (used cars)
    I am also getting terrible mileage regardless of on a highway or in the city. I max at 18MPG my norm is 15 MPG.
    Very disappointed with this year Lexus, I have owned two others that were great.
    I have been wondering about this as well, as the RX350 and the Highlander share the same chassis as well as some other parts.

But I haven't heard anything about the Lexus vehicles.
  • bv2000bv2000 Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2010 Rx with 5500 miles. My previous RX was a 2007. I think the 'air' heated seats are awful, the car frequently blows cold air out the vents in the dead of winter, the seats are not comfortable on a long ride, the left side drink holder is too close to the door panel (making it hard to grip any cup), and after 4 months Lexus finally installed an amplifier for the navigation system, I advise anyone coming from the previous generation of RX's, do not buy the 2010. You will probably be disappointed. The one plus is the interior. The location of the backup camera, etc is far superior than where it was.
  • zenmamazenmama Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a Rx 3 months ago. I was content until I started seeing all the problems from Toyota. Now I am nervous about my purchase!! Any other nervous nellies out there?? I am questioning the whole brand.
    I bought a new RX in late December. I would not be concerned about the problems Toyota is having because:

1 - Floor Mats creeping up to gas pedal - On my RX the floor mats stop about 2-3" to the left of the gas pedal and the same distance below the gas pedal Additionally the two clips or togs near the seat keep the floor mat from moving.

2 - The RX models are produced either in Japan or Canada - I believe the Front Wheel Drive in Japan and the All Wheel Drive in Canada. The Toyota models are all produced in the USA and have a different gas peda part supplier than those made in Japan and Japan produced autos have not been mentioned as having the gas pedal problem.

A suggestion would be to ask the dealer service person when you take your RX in for an inspection or oil change to please check the gas pedal etc.
    ".. frequently blows cold air out the vents.."

Only frequently...???

Due to the design, NipponDenso/Denso US design (idiots ALL) your Lexus automatic climate control will automatically switch into "cooling" mode, dash air outflow, once the cabin temperature rises to within a few degrees of your temperature setpoint.

On the coldest, darkest night, fully COLD surrounding landscape, in the depth of winter.

Cool (66-68F) and DRY airflow to your face, neck and upper body with absolutely NO radiant heating effects for offset.

There are several C-BEST options you need to try.

With the 1st of those the A/C can be disabled indefinitely by simply switching it off once. The 2nd one will unlink the A/C from automatically operating, with no indication to you, in the defrost/defog/demist mode. DANGEROUS, that one.

There is another one that can be set to prevent the automatic switch to cooling mode.

Since my '01 F/awd RX300 doesn't have this last one I am always careful, on guard, to keep mine manually switched to combined footwell/windshield mode during cold climate operation.

Your 2010 climate control is supposed to have a feature that will result in an automatic switch to footwell/windshield mode if/when climatic conditions warrant. You might want to check as this last one may be another C-BEST option.
    CTS, while seemingly admitting to their gas pedal sticking or binding, is denying responsibility for these WOT run-a-way engine episodes. So Toyota continues, must continue, to look elsewhere for the primary causative factor.

Until that time comes any vehicle of asian manufacture that uses the same parts and firmware design source (NipponDenso/Denso US) as Toyota/etc will remain "suspect".

The way Denso has been known to operate in the past not even Toyota may ever know what the problem was/is, nor the FIX. I would imagine the fix will come as a "reflash" with a public announcement that the "reflash" will be to facilitate a failsafe. Failsafe will be to drive the throttle plate to idle when the brake is used but also "buried" in the reflash will be a true fix for the firmware problem that is the root cause of these current episodes.

Does Boeing get to look at, certify, the firmware source code from a parts vendor..?? Possibly....

But I rather doubt that Toyota/etc has access to NipponDenso/Denso US firmware source code, and less likely certification ability. Toyota/etc probably doesn't even have the talent required for firmware source code validation/certification even given access.

Then there remains the question of anomalous behavior, as yet undiscovered anomalous behavior, possibly, of the microprocessor, computing engine, and surrounding/supporting hardware. Anomalous behavior just random enough to be almost, if not altogether, untraceable.
    I have not had any problem with the gas pedal on my RX350 and mine is AWD made in Canada.
    Same here: No problems on my '07 RX350, which was made
    in Canada, after three-and-a-half years.
    Lexus has changed the service schedule on the 2010 Rx350. The 1000 mile checkup is now moved to 5000 or 6 mo, no oil change but tire rotation and fluid checks. At 10000 the first oil change. The reason for this is Lexus now uses synthetic oil. I just had my 6 mo yesterday which was free and was told the 10000 mi was also free. I only drive 6 or 7 thousand miles a year therefore I will only have service one time a year. Told service tech about engine noise when cold and he wants me to drop car of so they can hear what I hear. A loaner will be provided.
    The dealer is Lexus of Tampa Bay and they bend over backwards to please.
  • jelkd2jelkd2 Member Posts: 6
    Thats good to hear about the 10,000 mile free service..Did they charge you for tire rotation and balance?...also, is the noise speed related like at 2100-2400 RPM,s..I have that loud hum and they say so fay,it's just normal engine noise?
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    We just had the 1000-mile checkup done in mid-January. Do you know if the 10000-mile service is free because of the 1000-mile checkup being eliminated, or if the 10000-mile service is free regardless whether 1000-mile checkup has been performed? Is this a Lexus-wise program or just a special from your dealership?
    My 2010 RX service guide lists a 1000 mile service and oil changes every 5000 miles or every 6 months.

The vehicle was purchased in December.

Since synthetic oil is required, I am a bit surprised oil still needs to be changed every 5000 miles!

Are there new guidelines?
    Check with your dealer. My 5000 was free but I did not do the 1000 checkup.
    The service person told me this new as of last week.
    The engine noise only lasts for a short time when the engine is cold.
  • bunnymumbunnymum Member Posts: 1
    I have a three month old 2010 Lexus RX 350 and I am pleased to say that I am getting 21 mpg in town. I haven't taken a road trip with it yet to see what I would get on the road. I only have 1500 miles on it though. I am pleased with the gas mileage but not pleased with the interior road noise.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I am a bit surprised oil still needs to be changed every 5000 miles!

That is surprising. There were reports that the Prius interval was going to 10,000 miles, but it apparently didn't.

Makes you wonder if Toyota is still concerned about sludge issues (they lowered the interval from 7,500 to 5,000 miles back in 2007 or so). Or maybe they just are trying to hit the EPA mpg requirements.
    Hello, cwayne. My '07 RX also came from Lexus of Tampa Bay,
    and, yes, they do have me spoiled. A-1 treatment, definitely! :)
  • billdavbilldav Member Posts: 18
    When I had my GS300 (now have RX350 - 2010) I asked about the noise. The tech guy said it was a normal thing and it had to do with the "injectors" settling in after starting. As soon as the engine was warmed up, about 2-3 blocks of driving it stops. I have the same situation in the RX.

Whether this explanations is true or not, I don't know but mine is just the sound of ticking/clicking which goes away.
  • bsg1bsg1 Member Posts: 1
    Did the dealer tell what causes the engine noise when the 2010 RX 350 is cold. I have the same problem on mine.
    No, had no good answer. Lexus stated that is normal noise in the 3.5 motor. DON'T THINKS SO!
    Hi Guys,

I have a baby due later this month and I haven't put the car seat in yet. Should this be done in the middle seat or side seat? Any experiences?
  • rxrxrx3rxrxrx3 Member Posts: 8
    I have the same problem on a brand new RX350. A ticking noise with a (garaged) cold motor that goes away after a couple of minutes of running. I probably won't be able to get to the dealer for another month, but I'm going to call the to see what they say. I don't think I'm going to accept 'it's normal' unless they can show me that all the other cars do it.
  • bv2000bv2000 Member Posts: 15
    My daughter had her seat checked out by NYS. They said the seat should be on the passenger side on the 2010 RX