Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 350 Driving Experiences and Problems

Comments

• maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    Hi, Jackur. I did get a limited campaign service bulletin for an oil hose replacement for my 2007 RX350. It sounded as though it only related to that year model, I'm not sure. I already had it taken care of back in January, and everything is so far so good.
  • jackurjackur Member Posts: 6
    Hi Maximafan, Thanks for the info!
    Nichelle02, I forgot to ask you about the keyless access function
    on the SRX. I also saw on the Cadillac website that the "performance collection" did not have keyless access, but the car still has the push button start. I thought all cars that had push button start had keyless access. If not, how does this work? Do you have a separate key for unlocking the doors? :confuse:
  • marqevansmarqevans Member Posts: 29
    It's finally warming up in Chicago and I got to drive with the sun roof open. I have to say at 50 miles per hour there is much less wind noise than on my 2008 RX.
  • debbie731debbie731 Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone know who to write to at lexus headquarters re a problem with my new RX350? I essentially want out of my lease because the car is not acceptable and need to go the next higher ups. Thank you.
  • nichelle02nichelle02 Member Posts: 10
    Hi maximafan - Thanks! I fell in love with the Imperial Blue color as soon as I saw it. My car has navigation but it doesn't show in the picture as the screen is down in those shots.

As for the keyless access, the terminology differs with Cadillac, I think. All models have push button start. Both the Luxury and Performance models have 'keyless' entry via a remote. The Premium model has 'passive entry' similar to the Lexus. With the Premium model you don't have to remove the keyfob from your pocket. I really wish they'd put this feature on at least the Performance model. After paying the add'l dollars for AWD I wasn't interested in paying extra in order to get the entry system and ventilated seats. I live in Minnesota. Heat during the winter is all that really matters for seats.

Regarding the spare tire, it's a donut. I haven't received it yet. but here's a link:

Spare Tre Kit
    Marqevans, I had kind of the opposite experience when I drove a
    2010 RX350 loaner car for close to two days. I opened the sunroof, but I had to crack open one of the back windows because I was getting that helicopter-like noise, almost like a buffeting noise. I'm not getting this noise in my '07 RX. :surprise:
    Hey, Nichelle02. For some reason I can't open up any pictures with the jpg extension on them on the Cadillacowners website.
    I get a message that you have to either log in or have access privilges or something to that effect. I did get to see some pics of the members that had purchased 2010 SRX's on that website
    where some of the pics would automatically come up. But for some reason when I came across the list of pics that had that jpg extension, the website would not allow me access to look at those
    pics.

However, I have seen a Crystal Red one and the Platinum Ice one
    and they looked sweet. I think they were performance collections
    also because they had the 20 inch wheels. How is the ride with the larger wheels, by the way??

Again, enjoy your new ride! :shades:
    It's funny that you say that because this is my sixth RX and in all of them I heard that helicopter noise if the back window was open and no other windows were opened and the sunroof was closed.
    edited March 2010
    That is so weird, Marquevans. I think I had this problem with a Nissan Pathfinder that I drove for 3 years. But, no, it's true. I drove home this evening with the windows closed and just the sunroof open on the '07, and no noise at all. I'll have to try it with one window open on the '07. I only spent close to two days with
    the 2010, but I did have to close all windows on that vehicle to stop that crazy noise while keeping the sunroof open. I wonder why there would be such different scenarios on these vehicles with the sunroofs?
  • vollyfvollyf Member Posts: 2
    Folks: Those who driven both new 2010 RX 350 as well the previous years, can you point me to the right direction.

To me smooth/quite ride is important. Even among the previous year model which one you suggest ?

Thanks!
  • younikwooyounikwoo Member Posts: 12
    with the remote touch how do you override the system so my wife can input address and search for POI while i am driving?

also,how do you setup the side mirror reverse-tilt?
  • bv2000bv2000 Member Posts: 15
    That's not going to happen. You can only input an address while driving by entering by voice, which isn't always accurate.
    Let me start by saying they have all been very quiet. I was most impressed with the quitness of the 1999 rx 300. I think because it was my first Lexus. I had the 2000 rx 300, 2003 rx 300, and 2005 rx 330 all of which were quiet.. The 2008 and 2010 rx 350's with the 3.5 liter engine is a bit noisier at cold start up. Hope this helps.
  • vollyfvollyf Member Posts: 2
    Thanks margevans!

From your reply I assume, I do not get anything great by going for 2010....

So CPO is the way to go. Unless any one can tell me about the greatest/latest in 2010.
    There is a significant difference in acceleration with the rx 350 versus the rx 330. I like my 2010 because I now have bluetooth and a USB port for the IPOD. I have never purchased the built in navigation. The storage in the cargo area is larger because the wheel wells no longer intrude. The rear seats f newold down with the flip of a lever from cargo area, There is a lot more electronic customization you can do your self through a menu switch on the steering wheel. The suspension seems firmer in the 2010.

As far as buying certified used versus new, I am not so sure the price difference is big enough not to buy new. My list price was $44,000 the discounted amount used for my lease was $39,800. My 2008 turned in after driving almost three years was put on the lot certified for $32,800 with 34,000 miles on it. Bottom line I think it is a push weather you buy certified or new.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "..smooth/quiet ride.."

Wheels no larger than 17" and summer ONLY tires.

My '01 F/awd RX300 runs on summer only bridgestone Turanzas THROUGHOUT the year. Tire chains when/if needed, rear ones first and then I add the fronts if things get extreme.

Provided they adopt DFI my next SUV purchase is very likely to be the new body style 2012 Mercury Mariner hybrid with F/awd
    On the other 5 RX's I've leased the radio stayed on until I opened the drivers door. On the 2010 the radio shuts off as soon as you push the ignition off. Is there a custom setting the dealer can do to change this? As it is now you have to shift to neutral before shutting off the car to have power to the radio continue.
  • bobbassbobbass Member Posts: 34
    It must be the way the push-button start system is designed. Same thing happens with our TCH. If you want to sit in the car and listen to the radio, you have to push the button in again and go to accessory mode. PIA!
  • car2unecar2une Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone experienced an unusually loud noise coming from the drive train of their 2010 AWD RX350? Ours is 1 year old, with less than 12k miles. At all speeds above 35 mph there is a noise that might be described as a low pitched whine or a hum. It seems to come from the center or rear of the vehicle. It sounds a little bit like the tire noise from aggressive snow tires, but I am certain it is not tire noise. I can hear the tire noise at a much lower volume, and at a higher pitch. (The car has stock Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires.)

We previously had a 2001 RX300 AWD and never experienced any thing like this. I have read reviews and comments about how quiet the 2010 RX is, so I must believe this is something unusual. On the last service visit, the service department said there was nothing unusual going on. It's going back to the shop next week, and I want them to check it again. Something needs to be done. My wife doesn't like to drive the car now, and passengers ask "what's wrong with your Lexus" when they ride in it.

Has anyone had a similar experience, or any ideas. Could this be noise from the transfer case or differential?
    The F/awd system in the new 2010 RX350 (also the new venza, and the 2011 Sienna) is entire different from the totally useless F/awd system in you (and my) 2001 RX300. The new F/awd system is a virtual clone, knockoff, of the Ford escape, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute, and Mazda CX-7.

The CX-7 seems to be the only one of these not having poor relaibility of the PTO, Power Take Off, system. The CX-7 uses liquid cooling, engine coolant, to handle the heat load of the PTO when the rear drive is engaged.

I would suggest finding the fuse for the rear drive clutch and removing it to see if the noise doesn't abate. With the fuse removed you will not have engine torque to the rear wheels but this time of year that may not much matter.

Having a solid level of drive to the rear simultaneously with the front will put a serious torque loading on the PTO in certain conditions. The RX350 only engages the rear drive clutch under three circumstances.

A.) During acceleration in order to divert, apportion, some of the high engine torque across all four wheels thus preventing loss of traction, and thereby lowering the potential for an accident arising from loss of directional control. Really lowers the number of times of TC activation.

B.) During an accelerating turn. Since the PTO stress can become extreme in a tight accelerating turn the level of torque coupled to the rear will be moderated, LOWERED, via PWM, duty-cycle, modulation. The tighter the turn or the harder the level of acceleration the lower the coupling coefficient to the rear drive will become.

C.) If wheelspin/slip develops due to the elvel of engine torque being applied. All teh literature available indicates that wheelspin/slip is likely to only occur on teh front wheels and as a result while the rear drive will be instantly and fully engaged TC will also activate. With TC activation the engine will be DETHROTTLED, forced down to a virtual idle, while at the same time the brakes will be applied to the slipping wheel(s).

The literature indicates that while the RX will have the ability to manually engage the F/awd system, close the rear drive clutch system, as long as roadspeed remains below 20mph, neither the Venza nor the Sienna will have that capability.

The early Ford Escapes, Mariners, etc, had such a feature, manually engage the rear drive clutch but was removed from newer models, I suspect once the high PTO failure rate was "discovered".

I'm not sure I would buy a new RX350 F/awd absent knowing the PTO cooling is used and I might well modify the system such that it DID NOT engage the rear drive system EXCEPT at my behest, use of the switch to manually engage teh rear drive.

If it does have the PTO cooling, or such is adopted in future years, I might considered purchasing a new RX350. But I would immediately set to work converting it to FULL TIME RWD with PART-TIME R/awd(4WD) capability. Drop a front halfshaft and apply 12 volts to the rear clutch, result...RWD. Reconnect the front half-shaft and have a PART-TIME 4WD.

Drop the front half-shaft and the 12 volt source, result...TOAD.
  • aresrocaresroc Member Posts: 6
    We bought the Canadian build '10 RX350 with FWD just recently. When compared to the RX330, RX350, this new '10 model's transmission is very load. Louder than any other car we had.

During acceleration, it gets very noisy. ;-( I would shift the car into neutral while cruising, and rev the engine a few times to see if the noise is coming from the engine. The 3.5 v6 engine is whisper quiet after it is warmed up, but not so for the transmission. This is even the FWD version!!! :surprise:
  • jogan1jogan1 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2010 RX350 with FWD purchased in late December that has about 2,500 miles on it and the transmission is not loud at all when new or currently. It performs the same as the 2007 RX350 I had. Have you discussed the loud transmission issue with the dealer you purchased from?
    While it's rare for a new car you may have a CV joint on the verge of failing, noise on acceleration, especially accelerating into a turn, would indicate so.
    This is like a hollow humming noise. We brought it to the dealer, and test drove the other RX350's they have on the lot. The service person said the noise is noticeable, but it also exists on the other RX's they have as well. :-(
  • bfeldsteinbfeldstein Member Posts: 12
    My AT&T Tilt will pair with the RXs bluetooth system, but then it disconnects suddenly. This same phone worked flawlessly with my Audi Q7 and still works with my wife's 2008 RX. Does anyone have any insight into this problem?
  • rxrxrx3rxrxrx3 Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2010
    I just called to schedule my 1000 miles checkup and the dealer said that they just changed it to 5000 miles because the oil is synthetic. Has anyone else been told that?

Also I noticed that someone is suing because their 2008 RX350 accelerated and caused a serious accident. Apparently not even the 2010 has any brake-to-idle override. And yet such features are put into other cars.
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/westchester-county-new-york-parents-file-suit-a- - gainst-toyota-for-death-of-their-five-year-old-son-in-lexus-sudden-acceleration-- - incident-2010-03-18
    Was told the '10 RX350 have a 10K interval, which is unique among Lexus because you first have a 5,000 mile check-up (without oil change), then you have another factory covered 10,000 mile check-up and oil change.

I would never worry about "unintended" acceleration. It's been known among many of us that a car's brakes out powers the engine significantly. There is a reason you can stop a car in a much shorter distance than it takes the engine to bring the car to the same speed the braking started. Typically brakes can produce 500~1000 HP of stopping power, and your RX350 engine can do 275HP. The current issue of Motor Trend has an article on this ;-)
    edited April 2010
    Aresroc,

You are correct in that statement, but AOL & Consumer Reports just posted a story and excellent video on this showing that if you lift your foot off the brake even once during an "unintended acceleration full-throttle incident," you lose braking power. I had read about this and understood the principle, bvut they actually demonstrate it in a 2010 Avalon.

This will be a very worthwhile five minutes spent. And, see if you catch the "misspeak" at 3:57. You don't have to READ the article, just scroll down and watch the video:

AOL/Consumer Reports on Brake Override
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    What is the link to the video?
    Sorry if that didn't work. Here's the direct YouTube link:

Consumer Reports Video on Brake Override
    "...It's been known among many of us..."

Then many of "us" are wrong.

With RWD and without ABS you're more likely right than otherwise.

With FWD and ABS the likelihood of your being wrong might be in the range of 90%

Holding a car stopped at WOT and the brake fully applied will almost always work.

Starting out braking at 60-70MPH with the engine at WOT might be, in most case will be, an entirely different story. As a matter of physics once in motion your primary braking effort will ALWAYS be expended at the front. Note how ROBUST your front brake system is in comparison to the rear.

With FWD and a WOT runaway engine DRIVING those front wheels the brakes must not only overcome INERTIA but also the engine HP/torque. And in the meantime ABS will be limiting the rear braking effectiveness, perhaps severely so.

How soon do you think you might encounter a serious level brake fade and even brake fluid boiling in those situations. ..??
    edited April 2010
    Yes, it seems that the brakes won't always work as desired unless applied in a specific way. See recall bulletin link below. And then, as has been commented, given the inertia coupled with the motor and other factors, who knows what the real world result would be. I for sure wouldn't want to be heading into the back end of a semi because of unintended acceleration - even if de-accelerating afterwards.

In this recall bulletin:
    http://abcnews.go.com/images/Blotter/ToyotaAcceleratorPedalDealerDailyMessage201- - 00122.pdf

...they say "If you need to stop immediately, the vehicle can be controlled by stepping on the brake pedal with both feet using firm and steady pressure. Do not pump the brake pedal as it will deplete the vacuum utilized for the power brake assist."

They also say to hold down the start/stop button for 3 seconds to turn off the motor.

Can they not update the software to include a program to override the throttle when the 2 are active. I've heard that is undesirable to override if you need both at the same time, such as when stopped or parked on a steep hill. But surely they can do it so that it only overrides when the throttle or idle is in the extreme. I've never had to fully rev an engine to overcome some roll back on a hill, as the slightest rev will do that.
    edited April 2010
    I'm confused. Is a brake to throttle override being added to existing cars under a recall, or just to newly manufactured ones?

If it's being added to existing cars, while being asserted that there is no known electronic acceleration problem - then it is apparently being added as a safety precaution.

And if that is the case, why don't we RX owners matter or count? I bought the RX because it was not listed in the recall. But now I'm thinking I'd be better off had it listed.

So I think I'm going to complain... where ever I can. If they are adding brake to idle overrides to other models - just to add a factor of safety - then I think we RX owners deserve as much too.
    "..Can they not update the software..."

But what if it's the software itself that's causing the engine runaway condition, trapped in a tight instruction execution sequence, Cruise Control "accel" mode, "forever".
    Adding BTO to existing car engine control computers would be needless, useless.

If the computer is for some reason not paying attention to the fact that the gas pedal is at the idle position then why would one think it would still execute a BTO sequence...??
    Why is it logically conclusive that the car isn't paying attention to the idle condition when a car experiences unintended acceleration?

There's obviously some sort of demand being placed to throttle up. Even if it took a extra detector or interrupt circuit, the logic would simply be (Brake) AND (High Throttle) = Throttle Interrupt; and what is wrong with that?

My point was, however, that if they are actually adding Bake to Idle Override to other models - then why not also add it to the RX?

If the logic is that RX has had less problems - then that is not good enough.
    Not conclusive, just no reason not to cover all bets. A BTO should be designed to be as failsafe, FOOLPROOF system. IMMHO the only way to do that is with a completely separate instruction execution engine.

Or simple hardware.
    edited April 2010
    ""...It's been known among many of us..."
    Then many of "us" are wrong.
    With RWD and without ABS you're more likely right than otherwise.
    With FWD and ABS the likelihood of your being wrong might be in the range of 90% "

Great video! It simply validates everything I have said, and adding that pumping the brakes will result in a loss of brake power assist.

It also showed a Toyota Avalon, a FWD vehicle with ABS and 268 HP, WILL stop from 60 at WOT with brakes fully applied. Must be in that rare "10%" :P

I don't see how an ABS would play into this, besides 'possibly' slightly 'change' the braking distance. If the ABS are kicking in that means the brakes are working.
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    1) Do others find the engine a bit loud when accelerating?

2) My vehicle has the rain sensing wipers. I cannot tell any difference when adjusting the variable control for sensitivity. On another Lexus, but a different style vehicle, I notice a large difference. What have others observed?
    edited April 2010
    WOT...??!!

Watch the video carefully at the 40 second mark, note that driver does fully depress the gas pedal. But by the 48 second mark he has not only lefted his foot partially (fully..?) from the gas pedal he is actually modulating the gas pedal position.

Was he trying to avoid doing long term damage to the torque converter..?
    1) yes the engine is a bit loud in the morning. Sounds like a truck engine / diesel. :) New timing chain design, noisier but saves you the $300~$600 timing belt change.

My engine is not loud during acceleration, but with the transmission it is! Shift the transmission into neutral and rev it a few times. You probably won't hear the same noise you heard when accelerating.
  • car2unecar2une Member Posts: 3
    Here's an update on the noise in our 2010 RX350.
    It was a bad wheel bearing. The dealer said they never replaced one before, but it fixed the problem.

We are now happy with the car again.
  • jelkd2jelkd2 Member Posts: 6
    washers hit the bottom of the windshield and apparently depend on the wipers to spread it over the windshield...works poorly...bad design if it can't be adjusted..
    .I have engine noise in the 2200 rpm area,,,thought it was engine but tried the suggestion to put it in neutral and see if the noise goes away...It did..so guess it's the transmission,not the engine..I'll ask dealer to look again but they say it's no louder then most..I drove a loaner and it wasn't as loud but was still present
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    edited April 2010
    I had no problem pairing my and wife's cell phones with our 2010 RX350. The annoying part, however, is that I have to reconnect my phone each time I drive it (the RX is wife's vehicle). And then when wife drives it the next time, she will has to do the same. Is there any way/setting to make the connection automatic? In my current Infiniti G37 and prior BMW 328i, they simply connect whichever phone that is in presence and has been paired before.
    I suspect something in the setup..all I can tell you is that my phones automatically pair as long as they are turned on before getting in the RX...otherwise not
  • mikkumikku Member Posts: 9
    Forget the G37 and the BMW, My $100 garmin Nuvi does a better job as GPS and Bluetooth interface. I have the same issue with my wife's RX450H. Every time I drive her car, I need to change settings. Maybe, they could link it to the key just like the seat position. That would be integration. I am actually sick of Toyota/Lexus electronics. I wish I had aftermarket options. These units are 10 times more expensive and offer no feature parity.
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    Like I said, the problem is not in pairing, but in switching between phones. The same phone will connect each time you get into the car -- so long as no other phone was connected to the vehicle in between.
  • bv2000bv2000 Member Posts: 15
    On your personal phone, you must select the option to connect automatically to the Lexus.