Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 350 Driving Experiences and Problems

Comments

• degirldegirl Member Posts: 45
    Hello everyone,

I recently went to a touch free (high pressured) carwash. I had the interior roof panel open and was watching the over head power washer. As the machine passed overhead I felt a drop of water hit my face and noticed a large drop of water coming through the sunroof mid point. It leaked into the metal type bar that sits under the glass but above the interior roof panel. My car is garage kept so I did not notice a problem before and also had no reason to look for it. Two days later it rained steady but not real hard . My car was parked outside when I got in it I put my hand along the metal ledge and sure enough it was wet. I am really disappointed with the quality of my car. I already had to replace a seat belt clip in the back along with some other interior flaws. I owned a chevy Blazer for 13 years prior and never had a problem.
    If I didn't go to the pressured car wash I don't think I would have noticed the leak until there was obvious damage.
    Thanks,
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    All sunroof systems LEAK, nothing to be done about it but let the little that does leak through drain out the back of the roof via the drain tubes provided.
  • degirldegirl Member Posts: 45
    Excuse my ignorance what drain tubes? I think it is probably acceptable if the car/ seal around window etc was old and worn however the car is brand new!!!
    If you look in the back far right and left of the recess the sunroof slides back into you will see two drain holes that lead to plastic tubing that goes down to each rear quarter panel in the area of the cabin airflow exhauster port.
  • rxersrxers Member Posts: 9
    Hi Guys,

How do I cancel the current destination while driving? Is there a quick and simple method to do so? I always need to go through the menus to do this. I am sure there has to be an easier way.

How do you do the window and sunroof roll down with the remote? Anyone tried with their 2010 RX?

Thanks!
  • brunnhildebrunnhilde Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2010 Lexus 350RX and were assured we could connect our Ipod via the usb port in the car.
    Not so. It is an older classic click wheel model and for some reason the system will not recognize it.
    We have the latest software for the ipod and we are wondering what might be wrong and whether there is anything we can do to solve it. It works just fine on our usb hub on the computer at home and can't understand.why is there a problem in the Lexus. :confuse:
  • jklossjkloss Member Posts: 39
    About three months ago I had the clips for the facia replaced. Held bumper facia for about two months. Now I just had the complete bumper facia replaced. Seems the facia in some early 2010 units have problems in both area. Will keep you apprised of how this fix worked out.
  • jacks2jacks2 Member Posts: 45
    What is the procedure for resetting the Oil Maintenance Required Warning Light on the 2010 AWD NAV RX350?

thx
  • dedd7dedd7 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2010 RX 350 and just had my clips for facia replaced, they told me if this doesn't work they have to replace the bumper , no charge under warranty .
    Most people are not aware of this problem, I noticed something was wrong with my bumper and saw that it was not secure. I hope other people will see this and be aware of the problem. Lexus know of the problem and they are trying to rectify it. I will let you know had I make out.
  • gladiator99gladiator99 Member Posts: 104
    I just purchased my 2010 RX with about 14000 miles and I also noticed that on the front passenger side there is a gap on the front bumper. I may have to take it in for new clips or some kind of fix. Has there been any recall for this problem?
    Hopefully they can fix it.
    Cheers.
    JB
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    Purhased my 2010 RX350 on July 21, 2010, and so far no problems with the front bumper.
  • sgb2003sgb2003 Member Posts: 44
    what grade of gasoline are people using in the RX350? Does Lexus require you to put in premium gas, or is regular gas ok too? One of the salespeople himself told me (without my asking) that regular gas is ok, but I've heard from other people that you need premium.

TIA.
  • toutankhamontoutankhamon Member Posts: 3
    Premium, just look in your manual ;)

Unless your tank is empty, there's nothing else and you're 350 miles from the next gas station ;);)
  • billdavbilldav Member Posts: 18
    This subject was covered over 6 months ago. Suggest you check the earlier posts.
    Yes, I logged onto club lexus.com and there were quite a few posts about this problem on earlier manufactured 2010 RX 350 both from Canada and Japan.
    I will have this problem addressed when we are in Arizona this winter. Latest posts say that Lexus has a fix for this problem.
    Thanks,
    JB
    When I had my '07 RX, my service tech said that using regular unleaded was fine.
    I've been putting regular unleaded in the 2010 RX. I haven't had a chance to check with my service tech as to using unleaded vs. premium in the 2010. My stepdad has a 2010 RX, and he puts premium unleaded in it, but he's only getting 1 mile per gallon better than I am. By the way, the 2010 RX is not getting as good of gas mileage as the '07 was.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    aren't the tires on the 2010 bigger and its overall weight more than the 2007 model RX? If so those two factors could be some of the contributors to the poorer gas mileage.
    I mentioned the possibility that since the 2010 is heavier than the 2007, that might be why the mileage is less. From what I've read it's about 400 pounds heavier, but my sales associate didn't seem to think that should make a difference. But maybe it really does.
  • cwaynecwayne Member Posts: 81
    I use mid grade in my 2010 RX, seems to run fine. mileage is about the same as my 2006 and 2004. The only negatave I have is the engine is noisy when cold.
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    I use regular and the car runs well.
  • knang8888knang8888 Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2010
    I have 2010 RX350 about 1800 miles. I took it back to the dealer for a little rattle problem. it seems like it is from the passenger side rear seats. The dealer put some insulation but I can still hear the rattles. This is annoying since my 2001 sienna XLE is more quiet. :(
    I just purchased a 2010 RX and it too has a rattle in the back. I thought it was the cargo cover so I installed some very thin felt arount the latch where the cargo cover fits into, but there is also something else that rattles when going over road bumps, so I am still trying to figure out what it is. Any ideas out there??
    JB
    I've noticed recently on my 2010 RX that if the rear seats are reclined somewhat, I hear a rattle coming from back there. When I put them to the full upright position, the rattle went away.
  • corley1corley1 Member Posts: 1
    Okay, I have the same problem. Mine has right at 20k miles and I noticed it first when I would back out of the garage in the morning. Once I put the car in drive, it would pause for a moment when I pressed the accelerator, then jump into gear. Next, I noticed when driving slowly and pressing the accelerator, it would slip as if I wasn't pressing it, then jerk into gear to catch up. Next, I started getting random and sporadic RPM activity. I was driving at 60 mph on the highway today and suddenly, my acceleration went blank and the RPM gage jumped to 6,000 RPMs, then jerked back down to 1,000. Then back to normal...then, randomly, I would lose acceleration and then it would jump back to high RPMs, then normal again. Finally, the check engine light came on. I have it at the dealership for diagnosis, but clearly, this is a defect. How were able to remedy your situation?
  • lexusowner7lexusowner7 Member Posts: 1
    Loud engine noise that Lexus refuses to fix, sounds like a diesel (valves clattering) - Lexus says it is normal for this engine but that simply is not true, it started around 6,000 miles and seems to be getting worse. I have reported it 3 times and all 3 times it came back NTF. This last time they said we are not saying it is a problem but we are also not saying that is not, interesting position to take. It is so loud that it is actually embarrassing when the valet brings it around.
    I have a little over 6,000 miles on my 2010 RX, but so far the engine is pretty quiet when I listen to it when I'm outside of it. Now, the 2007 RX that I had did have a little bit of that clatter, like a diesel that I could hear outside.
  • dlcole76054dlcole76054 Member Posts: 21
    I've just started pricing new RX350s. The Lexus Web Site shows only Package A and Package B. Edmunds shows a host of packages (Luxury, Premium, Navigation, etc, etc). Which is correct? Also, Edmunds shows a TMV price and from the entries in the Forum, a new RX350 can be had BELOW Invoice.so there is another conflict.

Which is correct? Also, there are missing colors on the Lexus Web Site vs Edmunds???

Help
  • petenrudypetenrudy Member Posts: 5
    Notice how you must enter your zip code before proceeding with 'building' your new car? That's because Lexus offers packages to those areas that have shown to be popular in the those areas in the past. This way they do not have to make so many variations which could lead to an excess inventory of vehicles with a less popular option list.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    do u have any update on this yet?
  • petenrudypetenrudy Member Posts: 5
    Don't know what kind of 'update' you were looking for. It's just a business decision made to make their business more profitable. Many years ago you would order your car to spec. This was before imports became popular. If you had to order your import to spec, it would take 2-3 months by the time it was built and sailed across the ocean. So they make educated guesses what models, colors and options will be most popular and that's what they make. And those choice vary by the area of the country, which is why they tailor option packages to the geography.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    i was referring to post 379
  • topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    Don't know what kind of 'update' you were looking for. It's just a business decision made to make their business more profitable

Gimme was asking how to translate package A, B, C etc to a term that is meaningful like Premium, NAV etc...

Gimme, you can probably guess the package by looking at the content of each package and match with box checked in package A, B, C etc.. I have the same problem but since the dealership is close enough, I will just drop by and check out on what is in the lot...
  • dedd7dedd7 Member Posts: 2
    I have a RX 350 love my car but two things I hate about it. I have a black car and have so many scratches on it and my heated seat seems to be be throw off this terrible odor that I am afraid it might start a firer. Going to have it check out.Does anyone else have this problem.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    The black thing is not specific to Lexus only. All the black cars I have had from domestic, Japanese, and German makes over the years were extremely difficult to keep clean and maintain and b/c of the dark color they show everything. Just the nature of the beast when it comes to that color.

In regards to the heated seat, no vehicles heated seat should be making an odor. I would definitely have that looked into. I have seen a few Camry's and RAV-4 heated seats turn the seat brown and some reports of getting to hot but never an odor. Your seat might be getting too hot and releasing an odor from overheating maybe :confuse:
    "...no...heated seat...odor.."

Unless someone peed on the seat, or worse...spills..?
  • jmumms3jmumms3 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue except there is a loud noise when opening the hatch. I was told by the lexus service manager that I need a rear hatch motor which would cost about $1148.00. Can anyone help?
  • silver60silver60 Member Posts: 3
    2010 Lexus RX 350 with 5300 miles. Engine noise when acclerating and rpms go over 2000.
    Sounds like a muffler exhuast, but no noise in park only in drive. Anyone else have this occur.
    I have the exact same thing, and was told my Lexus that everything is normal.
    I am going to bring it back for the third time, even though they keep telling me that it is normal.
  • jelkd2jelkd2 Member Posts: 6
    Yes, between 1800 and 2500 RPM it sounds too loud.. took it in twice ,last time I drove 2 other new ones and they all had the same noise..Service manager,who went with me on the test drive sez,yeah, they are louder than the 09 models..probably a slight design change in the exhaust system...now i just accelerate thru it and really dont notice it much since i know it's normal ?
    The exhaust note on the 2010 is definitely louder than on the previous generation RX. What's irritating for me is when I'm stopped at a stop light and the gear is in drive. The exhaust note is noisy and the vibration throughout the vehicle drives me nuts! Sometimes when I'm at a stop light, I'll put the gear in neutral, and then it gets more quiet, more like my '07 RX was. I wonder if there's anything that can be done to muffle the sound a little bit???
  • caesar2caesar2 Member Posts: 1
    Any luck with your rear hatch noise?

My hatch makes a noise (driver side only,) opening and closing.
    Try using your foot to raise the idle RPM just a slight bit.

A (too) low idle speed will sometimes result in the engine lopping and the associated vibrations.

Lexus may have also made a bit of a compromise in idle speed in favor of a slight FE improvement. I'm continually amazed at the little things (lower volume ATF sump...{***}) that are being done in the name of FE, but I suppose when you add up the gain from ALL of those little things.....

*** SEALED transaxles: Fill level is now too critical, plus OR minus, to allow the average DIY ready/easy access, and most certainly so for the low hourly pay McD flipper graduates that most dealers use for routine (maintainance) tasks.

Then again it may just be the beancounters, less ATF for the factory fill and lower metal content for the muffler(s), or maybe even one less muffler. Note that lower exhaust restriction might also improve FE.

Could it be both...?
  • cwaynecwayne Member Posts: 81
    I have had my rx for a year and half and went through the engine noise thing with dealer. (sounds like what we called tappet noise years ago) It is normal for this car. Other than that my car has been perfect.
  • propwash49propwash49 Member Posts: 38
    It sounds to me that the little hitch you feel is the telescoping function momentarily stopping while the starter motor is engaged. The starter is by far the largest draw on a vehicle's electrical system. The momentary voltage drop when the starter engages is probably enough to stop the power telescoping function from working. If it doesn't happen to other vehicles, it may be that your battery is old enough that it doesn't pack the punch it did when it was new. I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't start the car until the steering wheel has done its thing and moved to the correct position.
  • dysdys Member Posts: 11
    That seems to make sense and helps to ease my concern. Thanks.
  • burnsie455burnsie455 Member Posts: 1
    There is a wave/distortion when looking out the front windshield. It is noticeable when sitting in the car and extremely noticeable when standing outside the car standing next to the front door and looking thru the windshield. Has anyone experiences this issue? The car is brand new
  • isashinisashin Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE THE SAME CAR WITH 15,000 MILES.
    ALSO HAVE SAME PROBLEM WITH FRONT BUMPER. LEXUS REPLACED BUMPER THREE TIME AND THE GAP RETURNED 3 TIMES. I AM IN CONTACT WITH LEXUS BUT NO RESOLUTION TO DATE. PLEASE STAY INTOUCH AS I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF YOU HAVE RESOLVED PROBLEM
  • klee3klee3 Member Posts: 57
    edited July 2011
    When I set the ventilated seat to maximum cooling on my 2011 RX350, I do not feel any cool air coming out from the driver's seat. It is quite different when compared to driver's seat at the same setting. I took it to Lexus to get it checked out when I took it in for 5k mile service and I was told that's the way it is. They gave me a loaner car (2011 RX350) and it had the same issue as well. I have a 2008 ES350 and the same setting produces drastically different results. It actually cools unlike RX350. Has anyone noticed this problem on their RX?
  • billdavbilldav Member Posts: 18
    That feature started with the 2010 - review the wording in the ad - it is not an air-conditioned seat in these cars. I went through the same process as you and finally got the picture.