Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Suburban Oil Usage

jbell3jbell3 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
I have a 2007 Suburban with about 60K miles and is under extended warranty. It is using about 2.5 quarts of oil every 3000 miles. My local dealer is telling me that this amount of useage is acceptable. I find that hard to believe. Anyone have experience or knowledge of what would be "acceptable"?

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    jbell3,
    Typically a acceptable range is 1 quart every 3000 miles; however, this can very depending on how the vehicle is drove. Can you please email me your complete contact information including a good number to reach you, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • ksalisburyksalisbury Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 LTZ also. First new car I have ever bought. I expected to own it forever. Our family thought it was great. Then stupid things starting happening. I can't wait to sell it now.
    Ongoing low-oil messages. About to put a second oil-level sensor in it hoping to solve this long enough to sell it.
    In 09 the tranny broke some gears from city driving. Three weeks ago, we were broken down. Dealer tells us 'gears 3 and 4 were gone'. Luckily for us we dont drive much and are only at 49,500 miles so Chevy 'generously put in a 'new'- certa trans ( Certified transmission).
    These problems sound very common all over the internet.

My entire family have been die-hard Chevy fans. This is beyond frustrating. Chevy must being giving up on its reputation. Money must mean more than a legacy of great vehicles.

Why are dealers not told to fix these problems and bill Chevy. Middle class America can't afford $100 diagnosis bills just to find out these problems are common but not covered or not known how to fix them.
    ksalisbury,

Do you currently have a case set up with GM Customer Assistance and are you still experiencing problems with the vehicle?

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • raleighwolfraleighwolf Member Posts: 40
    I have this exact oil issue. Have from early on. Unfortunately the dealer says the same to me. Makes no sense. The 2007 suburbans are just not made well at all. A buddy just got a 2011. That seems to be much better....so far.
  • jenn1974jenn1974 Member Posts: 2
    From what I have found this is a freq. occurance with the 2007 Suburbans. It is not normal and GM/Chevy has a bulletin out on this. I took mine in they did an oil consumption test and then fixed what needed to be fixed.
  • dexter_bakerdexter_baker Member Posts: 1
    Jenn1974: Have you found the bullion and how did or what was the fix on your suburban. This information will help me with my continuing 2007 burb problems.
    My first Suburban was a 2000, 2nd was a 2004 Z71, and the 3rd is a 2007 LTZ. My 2004 has 86,000 miles, and I have not had any problems. We still have it. The 2007 was bought in May 2006, and I’m afraid it’s the worst ever. It has used oil, a lot more than the 2000 and 2004. Oil light comes on, I change the oil! 88,000 miles and now out of warranty! The five years got me. I am affiliated with a very large automobile repair facility in Reno, Nevada, and I’ve had the car serviced regularly. That’s what you do when you work in a garage.
    The last few mornings I noticed a puff of smoke out the tail pipe which is not good, I am told. So I asked my mechanic what is the worst case. He tell me “rings” or valve guides, about 6-8 hours shop time plus parts. But if it’s rings, he tells me to shop for a short block crate motor from GM. The engine rebuild will be expensive. My mechanic has not mentioned (as I read in certain forum responses) that there is an oil consumption test. Does anyone have any information on the notices or bulletins that may be circulating?
    So I ask Chevrolet Suburban owners the question, “Is 88,000 miles all we can get from the 2007 and newer Suburbans?”
  • low2quartslow2quarts Member Posts: 3
    I have an oil consumption problem on my 2008 Chevy Suburban with 108,000 miles. According to GM Service Bulletin #10-06-01-008D (Document ID 2752513), this may be caused by two conditions. “Oil pulled through the PVC system or oil spay that is discharged from the AFM pressure relief valve within the crankcase”

I first noticed the problem at 82,750 miles and since then, the dealership has performed several oil consumption tests and installed two different valve covers with no success. The last two oil consumption tests documented that my suburban used 2 or more quarts of oil in 3,100 miles. According to GM one quart of oil every 2,000 miles is “acceptable”. The oil consumption test completed today showed that my Suburban used 2 quarts of oil in 3,123 miles; this exceeds their “acceptable” oil consumption. This test was performed after the 2nd valve cover was installed. The dealership said they have been in contact with GM about my problem and that a case number has been assigned to my Suburban. The dealership said they are going to report the latest findings to GM and wait for instructions on what to do next.

Anyone know if GM is going to honor their 100,000 engine warranty and fix my problem or are they going to deny my warranty and claim that I have over 100,000 miles on my vehicle? I’ve expressed my concern to the dealership, several times, that I felt like I have been strung along since the problem 1st started and now that I’ve exceeded 100,000 miles, they are going to kick me to the curb. The dealership said no this won’t happen.

I’ve read several posts about Suburban and Tahoe oil consumption but didn’t see how any of the problems were handled by GM. Any information on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    low2quarts,

We'd be happy to look into this with you, if you like. Please send us an email at [email protected] with the following information: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage (which I realize is listed here, but it's helpful to have everything in one place), and the name of your dealership.

With that information, we will set up a Service Request for you and can then explore any options available. However, I cannot make any guarantees up front on what the final result will be.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • bnahikianbnahikian Member Posts: 5
    I wish you luck. I noticed that the oil consumption in my 2007 Suburban was more than my previous one(2001), but it didn't really concern me(it should of). At 110,000 I heard a couple tinny noises coming from the engine, then it ran fine for another 20 minutes or so, then one more noise, then the dashboard lit up like a christmas tree. Had it checked and was told by the first dealer it was a misfire in cylinder 6, after a initial diagnosis, they said it was a probably a bad cam lobe. There was zero compression in cylinder 6. They said since I wasn't the original owner(I'm the second), I didn't qualify as a loyal customer(I've owned 10 gm vehicles over the last 22 years, 4 new), so they weren't going to provide any assistance since it was 10K over the powertrain warranty. After much BS with GM customer care assistance(total joke, plus I believe the call center is not in this country), they also said the same thing. I'm currently installing a re-manufactured engine in my last gm product I will ever own. I would advise anyone that is considering a Suburban, especially a 2007 with the 5.3L, to re-consider. These engines have problems, and GM will not back you on them once it is out of warranty. Sad that a $50K vehicle has to have a new engine at 5 years and 110,000 miles. I am having the old engine pulled apart to determine what failed and will post the problem when I get it.
    Following up on my oil consumption problem. As you can see from this post, GM Service contacted me for more information. After supplying the information, they apparently contacted the dealership and it was decided that all pistons, rings and valve stem seals would be replaced. I picked up my Suburban yesterday afternoon and all seems good. Will follow-up after my next oil change to let everyone know if the oil consumption problem is solved.

In response to bnahikian’s post, sorry to hear about your misfortune. I too owned multiple GM vehicles. Seven in all, with last 3 being Suburbans. I fully expected I would be posting a similar story but GM came through for me. I just hope the problem is fixed.
  • mikeseemikesee Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    My 2007 Suburban was identified as consuming oil beyond GM specifications first noted at 33,000 miles. Service tech told me that overconsumption was identified. When I returned the truck to be repaired he had 'lost the documentation and said that because it was his first overconsumption test he did not know what to do'. Started second oil consumption test at 57k. Documented that Truck uses 1 quart per 1444k miles. After determining this Service manager told me that was within GM specifications, that's when I had to pull the out the Chevy Specifications document and read it to him. He told me to bring it in but was unable to tell me what was to be done or how long it would take.

If this is occurring to you, here is some advice: At the start of the consumption test agree whith the tech/service manager where the oil mark is on the dip stick. With my truck, after the GM oil change, the oil line was above the add line at the start of the test. When you bring the truck back observe how much oil is being added. The service tech said it was full at the top of the hash mark on the dip stick, but that is not where the oil test started! Maybe it is only my dealer but you need to watch everything like a hawk.
  • nhchevyownernhchevyowner Member Posts: 1
    I'm in a similar boat. I purchased an 07 Suburban last August with 45000 miles on it, still under GM drive train warrenty for another 7 months and 55,000 miles. After owning a 1990 GMC Suburban, a 1999 GMC Suburban (which we still have), and a previous 1986 GMC Jimmy which all worked out very well, we decided to get a newer used one. One month after driving it around the low oil light came on, down a quart so I filled it up and thought that was odd since the oil life had read 99% when I purchased it. Another month later down a quart. I filled it up and took to the dealer then did some research on oil consumption and found it's a known issue. The dealer (not the original I purchased from because they are much farther away but happened to have the specific Suburban with options I wanted when I purchased it) started me on a monitoring schedule. Basically between 980 and 1200 miles i was down a quart which is below GM specs (they believe 2000 miles for 1 quart of oil is OK.) They did both remediations, the pcv/valve cover remediation and then later the oil pan remediation of which neither solved the problem. Now the dealership is giving me the run around. They won't contact GM on it and are trying to reach my extended warranty company, but getting put on hold for long periods of time where they have to drop. They told me GM won't do anything more beyond the two remediations. I'm outside warranty now (over 5 years old) but I reported this within warranty, so fighting it via that angle for the momment. I've told them I want in writing from GM that they won't fix this, but so far not getting far, still dancing with them.
    nhchevyowner,

Have you contacted Customer Assistance already? Just wondering! If we can be of assistance, please let us know by getting in touch via email at [email protected]

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I have the re-manufactured engine installed and it is running fine, although between the dealer charges and new engine my wallet is $5,000 lighter. The guy that replaced the engine tore down my engine and wasn't exactly sure where the problem came from. The dealer's preliminary diagnosis was a cam lobe problem. All that could be noticed is that the valve in #6 wasn't seating properly, looked like some contamination, maybe coolant on the top of the valve, so there may of been a slight crack in the head. After he pulled the head, the oil ring on the piston was broken, and one of the compression rings was frozen in the compressed position. I will post the pictures when I download them. So I don't really know what caused the failure, and glad I didn't spend the $1,100 the dealer wanted to pull the engine apart and diagnosis it. Either way, the problem is definitely a mfg. defect. As I said before, GM customer care was a joke.
    Good luck with Customer Assistance, my experience was awful, and after saying they would help, and fortunately I didn't spend the $1,100 they said I had to for a exact diagnosis, they said they changed their mind and will not do anything. Over a week I went through 3 levels, all with foreign accents and names of Merica, Christian and Oscar, and conflicting stories from each. I'm guessing my calls were channeled to India, or somewhere like that. I hope you have better results than I had. If anyone is considering buying a GM vehicle with this year and engine, I would say STAY AWAY, there is problems, and they won't back up their poor manufacturing standards.
  • suburbanownersuburbanowner Member Posts: 1
    I too am having problems with my 07 Suburban. I am on my 5th Chevy product, two Corvettes, one Tahoe, one Blazer and now a 07 Suburban. I have always been a fan of GM, but this truck will be my last. I have the oil problem. I am adding up to two quarts every 3,000 miles and now I have lost 3rd gear in the transmission. It happened while my family was on vacation in Louisville, 500 miles from home. I called a local Chevy dealer to get help, but because it was a Saturday morning they could not help me and told me that I would have to wait till Monday. I could not stay till Monday so I had to ship the truck home. I have 77,000 miles on the truck, but it was first put into service in Sept of 2006 so I am not under warranty. This fix will bankrupt my finances. GM’s lack of commitment to quality and poor customer service has ended my customer loyalty.
    suburbanowner,
    I'm sorry to see that your family vacation to Louisville was disrupted by a transmission issue. If we can look further into this situation with you, please send the following information to [email protected]: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • myburbmyburb Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Suburban and it too had an oil consumption problem. Last fall the dealership replaced the pistons and I've havent had any additional problems with the oil. Two of my friends have suburbans, one has a 2008 the other has a 2009, both of them have had the same issue as mine.

Incidently, this 2007 was a replacement vehical from GM when my 2005 had an isolated incident in which a solution could not be found. After being in and out of service the summer of '06 (at least 10 times)..GM stepped up and replaced it...with no grief!! Doesnt sound like everyone else has had positive experiences with GM.
    Following up on my April 12, 2012 post, I had my oil changed, after GM replaced the pistons, rings and valve stem seals, and all seems good with no oil consumption! I’m about 2000 miles into my next 3000 mile oil change and the oil is still at the top of the dipstick. Thanks GM Service for you help in resolving this problem.
  • norcalburbnorcalburb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 suburban and am having the same problem as everyone here. This is my very first Chevy let alone a Suburban. Found out I had this issue when I came into a chevy dealership for a oil change. Service adivsor told that my suburban was two quarts low and was going to install a oil deflector. Started the oil consumption test as well. I'm now at 56,000 miles and this was almost 10,000 miles ago. After the first oil consumption test was performed the chevy dealer told everything seemed normal. Consumption depends on how you drive etc. Not trusting the chevy dealer here after about 1,000 miles of getting the ok sign. I happen to check my dipstick to see my level. Their wasnt even any oil showing on the dipstick. I call back the dealer and brought it to them immediately. Once their, the service advisor tells me that my suburban was three quarts low. They now are recommending ANOTHER OIL CONSUMPTION TEST. I asked why another test and not change my piston or piston rings where I've heard is one of the culprits of this problem. They tell me they must go through protocol and completely document everything for GM. I'm suppose to go back soon since my next oil change is at 57,000 miles. I have the major guard as well when I purchased the vehicle and doesnt expire until 97,000 miles. Is their any where I can complain to GM since the local chevy dealer here in Fremont Ca seems to keep on giving me the run around.
  • jddbmw6913jddbmw6913 Member Posts: 1
    I just had the exact same problem. They made me do 4 oil consumption tests before they would actually do anything about the oil burn and then once they did fix it they claimed I was out of warranty by time but they were going to cover it anyway, like it was some big favor. The problems started when I was still under warranty but the 4 oil consumption tests took so long that I was out of warranty by time. Now 2 weeks after getting my truck back the transmission goes out. 3rd gear is almost completely gone and if I put it in D the engine just revs and does not engage the gear at all. In order to move forward I have to manually shift from 1st, 2nd, 3rd, to D. This is a lot for a truck with only 84k miles.
  • slalom1slalom1 Member Posts: 2
    I am a bit frustrated. Purchased our first Suburban last Fall, with just over 100,000 miles. I am sure it was traded in due to warranty expiration. One month after purchase Low Oil level light appears and no oil on dipstick. This pattern repeats, going through 3-4 quarts at least every 2-3k miles. This AFM pressure release valve problem is a design defect and not something that is dicrepent between vehicles. I have been using synthetic oil hoping to tame the problem with no luck. Called Local dealer who said they should be able to get it fixed with some Chevrolet support, no luck they want $1000 to decarbon cylinders, and place diverter. This does not repair a broken part but rather attempts to correct an inherent design flaw. I think Chebrolet should provide this service with little cost to owner as it is there flaw. They should also permit consumers, especially those outside of warrnaty to disable AFM to prevent costly trouble down the road. Help....has anybody had any success in fixing this symptom of poor design? Thanks!!
  • mtkjrmtkjr Member Posts: 1
    I also have had the oil consumption issue in my 2007 Suburban. After numerous trips and replacing small stuff the dealer finally replaced the pistons and rings at 111,000 miles. 13 months and less than 25, 000 miles later I need a new engine. The knocking is so loud the neighbors hear it from inside their houses. The dealer said I can trade it in, I would be ignorant to buy another Chevy or they can replace it for $8000.00. Chevy customer service is as worthless as the dealer. A jasper engine will cost $4500 to have installed.
  • deniz01deniz01 Member Posts: 3
    :mad: 2008 Suburban LTZ Oil Consumption!!So I'm having same issue as other consumers. My 2008 Chevy Suburban LTZ is using way too much oil. So I took it in right after my husband changed the oil they checked and they said everything was fine accoding to GM standards. So they told me to take it in every 500 miles to check the oil so by the 500 miles it need some oil they said to come back again at another 500 I took it in 2 days ago at 1,080 miles and it need a 1qrt really!!! that's not normal. My husband has a chevy pickup with same motor and size and it doesn't burn as much we also have a 99 suburban GMC and just took on a long trip put 3,000 on it and burned almost nothing. Please help by giving advice by what has been done by others in same situation. My car has 68,000 miles and I don't want something to happen once warranty expires. GM needs to step up and fix the problem.
    Hi deniz01, I can understand your frustration. Are you going to continue to follow up with your GM dealer? Would you like me to stay connected with you throughout the process?

Crystal
    GM Customer Care
  • sonata01sonata01 Member Posts: 21
    Since I am beyond the 100,000 mark, can anyone tell me if GM can help with any reimbursement, since they are aware of engine problems?? Thanks For a vehicle that has been WELL taken care of, this situation should not have occurred!!!!!!!
    Crystal you can help me by providing me in writing what the GM Standard is for Oil Consuption on this vehicle. My local dealership says I have to get it from GM. Thanks
    Good Luck, GM Customer Care was a joke. I'm pretty sure I was talking with someone in India or some foreign land. They know they have a problem, but won't stand behind it. As I mentioned in a previous post, I had to have the engine replaced myself. Every time I see the Chevy commercials about quality and commitment I feel like puking. Anyways, I hope you have better luck than I had. Btw, I dumped my 2007 Suburban and now have Ford Expedition EL. I will never by a GM product again.
  • help08suburbanhelp08suburban Member Posts: 4
    I have had numerous issues with my 2008 suburban. I have over 150,000 miles on it I have had it in service department numerous times to have spark plugs/wires changed. I always run low on oil with a warning light hear a ticking noise in between oil changes. I just recently took it in because the noise now is a knocking loud noise come to find out it is the 1spark plug misfiring because it is fouled out by oil. I was told I now need to buy a new engine or rebuild one because it is the ring and piston. All along the service department just was masking a small problem that now is a big expensive problem. I have been a GM owner since the age of 16. I have never wanted to drive anything else. I have no warranty now and will be upside down when I go to trade it in. I have had my heart set on to buy the 2014 Suburban but with all the money I have had to dump in to this suburban and the last one I had. I am thinking maybe it is time to change things up. I did put in a call to customer service and they are waiting to get with the service department and said she could not promise me that anything could be done. So here I am with a 50,000.00 vehicle with a payment and I cannot drive it. I have seen a lot on the internet about others with the same problem. I would like to think that they will stand behind there product and deliver.
  • mlarenmlaren Member Posts: 1
    I have been researching 07'-09' Suburban's to replace our mommy van (my budget can't stretch to a new one). I have had many older friends relate their Chevy stories of reliability and ruggedness, some still have their 80's and 90's Burbs for hunting or towing. Well, since I read the posts here and see how Chevy has changed in terms of reliability and especially when it comes to their failure to step up for their customers - even knowing they have a fault from manufacturing, I certainly will not buy a Suburban now.

I appreciate your posts, though am sorry you have had to deal with such fustrations. Thank you for putting the warning out for the rest of us.
  • buck2008buck2008 Member Posts: 1
    I too have had an oil consumption problem with my 2008 suburban. I have had regular oil changes and maintenance done at my dealership. I now need the motor rebuilt!!! I am furious. The total cost is around 6,800.00 and GM will pay a partial amount. We are expecting around 2600.00 out of pocket. This is totally unacceptable as this vehicle only has 82,000 miles on it. Warranty is up. GM WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT! I come from a huge family of chevy truck and suv drivers. A 40,000.00 vehicle not made to last. I live in a small town and this has happened to 2 others, which one person said gm covered the total cost, and the other person said they would not budge. Selective I guess. Called GM back and the said they will not consider anymore assistance on this. Who wants to fork out 2600.00 on a car with only 82,000 miles on it??? very unhappy and am set to spread the word.
    WOW!!! I still have warranty on my till 100,000 and it's a 2008 too. Funny when I first post my original message a GM rep replied if I need assistance I replied to her and haven't heard back nothing, that’s GM service for you. On my issue we started an oil consumption test and I had to add 1qt at 1,000 miles finally after 2700 miles into test they have recognized that there's an issue. I now have to get all my receipts for my oil purchased since my husband does our oil changes before they can work on it. Good thing we purchased from Sam’s club and they can print receipts for up to 2 years. I will continue to post my experience. You should check into the warranty cause like I said I have warranty till 100,000 miles.
    Hi buck2008,

I am very sorry to hear of your issue. I would like to research this for you. Can you private message me your full name, address, phone number, Vehicle Identification number, and approximate mileage on your vehicle please? My email address is [email protected] please put "Attn Crystal" in the subject header. Look forward to hearing from you.

Crystal L-GM Customer Care
    buck2008,

I apologize if we did not reply to your request. I am happy to see that we were able to get your repair covered under warranty. Please feel free to send an email to [email protected] "Attn Crystal" in the subject header with any further issues or concerns.

Crystal L-GM Customer Care
  • pameyerpameyer Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2007 Suburban with 86k on it. We use 2 quarts of oil every 1000-1500 miles. It is getting worse.

Crystal, can you advise what I should do to get this addressed?

I was at the dealer today looking at a 2013 Suburban as we have four kids and the truck is right for us. Unfortunately, my confidence is weakening.

Thanks!

Pat
    Hi Pat,

I am assisting Crystal here on the forum. I can't provide you with any technical assistance for this issue. I would suggest consulting with your dealer for your current oil consumption concerns. Please let us know if you have any other questions and if you are able to get this issue addressed.

Thanks!

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • mp3t3r5mp3t3r5 Member Posts: 1
    GM Cust Svc
    Our '07 5.3L Suburban is doing the same thing. Started at 50K, was in the shop having AFM & Left Rockers rebuilt at 55K and 59k. We've been expressing concern at the dealer for the problem continuing at all oil change since, but the dealer failed to document the concern. Now at 121k they want $5100 to rebuild the pistons. This seems to be a wide spread problem for GM. When discussing with GM Cares the rep stated "if you want an answer now, it's no!" Our confidence in GM has failed, and we are working on posting in many blogs and filling complaints with federal agencies. We intend to bring litigation and contact state reps etc up 'til the point GM does the right thing... It's unacceptable for such a large company to take advantage of its customers and cover such large and widespread issues to protect its own interest through deceitful and deceptive practices!
  • newboldrnnewboldrn Member Posts: 1
    I am also an owner of a 2007 Suburban with ~108,000 miles. The dealer has attempted one repair with a diverter in the oil pan but this did not resolve the issue. We were fed up with all of the "oil consumption tests" that the dealer was performing while not indicating that GM had any resolution. please keep me posted on your legal proceedings. We are very dissapointed in GM at this point and looking for a way to get this resolved.

Regards,
    Randy
  • sonata01sonata01 Member Posts: 21
    I would also like to kept informed of any legal proceeding as I had already paid for a valve/lifter job, which, of course, didn't not help the oil consumption; and was told to add oil as needed, which will be pretty often, until I get rid my suburban. I can't imagine that GM would reimburse, even a portion, of my costs, even though they admit there is a problem with suburbans.
  • wwinnwwinn Member Posts: 2
    Same here. Looked so long for a good used suburban and found an '07 in 2009 with 16k on it. Now with 85k I am having low oil issues. I have not even called gm yet. Figured it is not worth it. Let me know when the lawyers get involved because I wanted 200k out of this one. Own another Chevy (4 total over 8 years) but will go back to Nissan if this is not fixed.
  • buddy77buddy77 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2007 Suburban in 2010 with 72M miles on it. I also started having the same issue as you at 88M miles. Luckily my dealer looked up, what I assume, was a bulletin issued by GM stating why this was happening. The wording on my work order is 88599 oil consumption issue J1307 15.30. I had to have the engine rebuilt but it was under warranty. NOW the transmission went out and I had to have that rebuilt. Not under warranty. Hopefully the car will last until I can pay it off!!
  • buddy77buddy77 Member Posts: 3
    Please read my post which is #49. there was a bulletin issued about the oil consumption that my dealer found or knew about. You may still be under warranty and can get it fixed.
  • boomer1971boomer1971 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Suburban with engine related issues and at this point GM will not do anything further.
    Here's whats happened so far.
    29000 miles I started noticing a good deal of blue smoke from the tailpipe. The dealership found oil in the intake manifold and replaced the valve cover with the updated design.
    36000 miles, truck shuts down on way home after check engine light, Stabilitrack and Traction control errors appear. After 15 minutes on roadside trucks starts back up in limp home mode. Dealership replaces throttle position sensor.
    38000 miles, truck once again goes into limp home with check engine light. Check oil and find NO visible oil on dipstick. Back to dealership, again. All 8 pistons and rings replaced. GM customer service contacted with request for new engine or warranty extension. GM agrees to neither and says this repair will fix any issue. I foolishly agree and allow repair.
    Approx 40000 miles trucks starts running rough. Check plugs and find them fouled. Maybe dealership didn't change them with pistons so I just change them.
    41300 truck once again goes into safe mode with all the lights on again. This time I was 30 minutes from home in severe thunderstorms with my 4 kids and wife. Great feeling trying to drive on the highway in those conditions.
    Get home and once again find most oil gone from dipstick (maybe 1/4 inch left on it). Mind you when I changed the plugs the oil was fine. Dealership checks truck and says oil leaked from engine rear main seal. I search driveway and find a couple of drops, nothing that would cause that much of a loss.
    So right now I have a 2009 truck with 41000 miles that has had a engine rebuild and still uses oil.
    Avoid these trucks as GM will not stand behind their product.
    I totally agree. I have had issues of course with my 2008 Suburban still to this day I do. My husband just paid 4200.00 to have his 2008 Chevrolet Truck rebuilt. The mechanic showed us the scarring from there being no oil. I am done with the GM product. I basically was told we got you to your 100,000 mile warranty which mind you I had issues way before I hit 100,000 miles with them band aiding my low oil consumption which I am being told I need a new engine. This is 2 vehicles same year this has happened to. I will not give them another chance to screw me over.
    Hi boomer,

I'm sorry to hear that after your engine rebuild you still seem to be having problems with your Suburban. If you would like for us to reopen your case and see what other options are available for you, please let us know. We can be contacted trough email at [email protected] [attn Amber].

Thank you

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • haye1869haye1869 Member Posts: 7
    Great, now I feel really up the creek without a paddle...
    I have about 97K miles on my 2008 Chev Suburban Z71 and have noticed after any long highway trips that my Oil Low light is coming on.
    No oil in the driveway, so where is it going?

Has anyone in this forum had any luck working with GM to get this issue resolved?
    No luck at all. My issues started way before I hit 100,000 mile warranty and all they did was band aid it til I went over my warranty and they said they got me to 100,000 mile power train warranty. It is sad because all I have ever bought were Chevys and now with 2- 2008 Chevy models both with the same problem I am done. I tried to get help or any assistance and I was told I was on my own. Mind you I had the start of problems before 60,000 miles. Nothing else I can do except for look at Toyotas or Fords.
    Hello there,

I apologize for the issue you have been having with your vehicle. I would like to look into your situation for you. Can you please reach out via Email at socialmedia(at)gm.com and include a brief explanation of your vehicle concerns and if you have worked with a dealership. Also please include your contact information, the VIN and current mileage. In addition, if you had a case file set up, let us know that number.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    GM Customer Care
    I had the same problem, GM Customer Care is a joke, pretty sure it was based in India or some foreign country. After replacing the engine in my suburban I sold it and now drive an ExpeditionEL. I'm done with GM after owning over 13 GM vehicles......you can see my previous posts in this thread: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f22d28b/23

Good Luck
    Hello bnahikian,

I apologize if you had a poor experience with GM Customer Care. I am sorry you feel this way based on your current situation. General Motors relies heavily on loyal customers and I hope one day we may be given the opportunity to earn your business again.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    GM Customer Care