Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Road Trip!

Comments

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Depends how you count the Outer Banks. The way they explain it to me they run from Corolla to Ocracoke in which case you only get 4 lighthouse - Carrituck, Bodie Island, Hatteras and Ocracoke.

However, as you continue down the Carolina cost there's a truckload of them (none of which I've seen) - Point Lookout, Cape Fear....

I've been up Carratuck and Hatteras.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    You can find quite a few lighthouse along the great lakes as well
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    On our trip up the coast of Oregon I got a couple pictures of Heceta Head lighthouse. It is near Yachats, OR. It was closed to the public. Great weather the whole trip.

Yep, lot of nice lighthouses down that coast. Nice shots!
    Nice shots, Gary.

I wouldn't mind spending a load of time exploring lighthouses. A lot will not let you climb them (Portland Head in Maine and Whitefish Point in Michigan are examples as is Ocracoke.) I notice those are all working lighthouses, but there are working lighthouses that they let you go up. Hatteras and Carrituck are like that. They recommissioned Barnegat Light by us a couple of years ago. Been up that at night with the light going which was a lot of fun. Plan to do that again this weekend.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We toured a decommissioned one on our Canadian holiday last month. Pretty fancy living quarters; the best part was the living room "rug". Some captain had given the lighthouse keeper an old canvas sail, and he had painted a design on the middle of it and tacked it down to the floor.

There was also a big (25 gallon ?) crock that they used to make vinegar back in the day. They kept a "mother vinegar" plant going in the crock and went through a lot of the stuff cleaning the windows several times a day.
    Pretty neat. I'd love to check that out.

Word is there was a wonderful keeper's house at Barnegat Light. Unfortunately the ocean wanted that piece of land back long ago. The lighthouse itself is right on the edge. I kind of expect that one day a big storm is going to take it. I hope I don't live to see the day. It was built by General George Meade several years before be defeated Lee at Gettysburg.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    Maybe I confused the number of lighthouses with (the hopefully not late great) Route 12.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Word was they were reopening Route 12 on Hatteras today with a temporary bridge. I can't imagine how they managed with a ferry on the newly created inlet.

I think the plan is to refill that inlet rather than to build a permanent bridge. It's certainly been done before.

I wonder of this speeds up the replacing of the Oregon Inlet Bridge which according to the locals is in desperate need. I wouldn't know. It looks in way better shape than our local bridge to our barrier island.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    and surrounding towns will be on the agenda next week when we take the 6 hr or so ride to Pennsylvania. Beyond the touristy stuff hopefully I'll manage to cruise through some back roads to see the countryside.
    Also with my renewed interest in clocks that tick a trip to the National Watch and Clock Museum in Columbia may be in order.
    I'm also sure there will be some antique shops beckoning once we get off the interstate (Hopefully we won't find anything that 'has' to come home with us).
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    great lighthouse shots, man! ;)

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Chevy to Sponsor Epcot's Redesigned Test Track Ride (Straightline)

Did this ride in '05. The exhibit could use an upgrade.

Oh, I LOVE the Test Track! Hope its replacement remains cool...
  • wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    That's pretty neat. We'll have to go there and see it...even if it is OLD , and sponsored by chevrolet. :)

Do anyone know when the better times of the year are to go there without it being overly crowded??
    Most of November and December EXCEPT Thanksgiving and Christmas week tends to be good. Not sire on the rest...
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    When school is in full session will mean less crowd and shorter lines, but may also mean shorter hours open than summer. March/early April is probably not a great time as that is spring break for many.
    I should not mention this as it is a state secret but....

Election day week is great. Here in NJ a lot of schools close that whole week - between election day and the teacher's convention three days are shot anyway so....

You get down to Disney and the crowds are minimal and the weather tends to be nice. And everyone you meet there that week will also be from New Jersey....
    Standing in line with a bunch of people from New Jersey?
    No Thanks on that one :P
    No relation to that, but one time we went to Disney and one of my kids wanted go on Space Mountain.
    There was a big line but we decided to deal with it.
    While we were in line there was a big group of people just ahead and behind us.
    Every time the line went around a bend they would let some of the group behind us cut in front of us in the middle of the ever growing group.
    I was pretty mad, but told my kid there was nothing I could do about it.
    When we got to the last segment before getting on the ride, a Disney person magically appeared in front of us and said they had a car that had 2 open spots.
    I said 'We'll go'. There just happened to be a gate right there and we got on the ride in front of all those people. Thank you Walt. :shades:
    No, the whole trick with New Jersey week is that there aren't lines to speak of. Nice, quiet week.

Really weird was November of 2001. I'd already made reservations and such before 9/11 and I was damned if I was going to let terrorists decide what I was doing so we went. We were in teh distinct minority on that count.

The plane, normally full, was half empty. Disney was completely empty. We didn't wait a minute on a line the whole week. It was really strange.
    Sounds like fine driving weather eh? :shades:

Off to "balmy" Port Huron and Deee-troit tomorrow.

Weather permitting. ;)
    Ah, nothing better than getting into that sub-temperate lower Michigan.
    edited January 2012
    Let's see, bit of a white-out occasionally during the first hour in the day when traffic passed, but not bad. Minus something when we left. Got to breakfast and the waitstaff spilled a glass of water on my wife. She remembered the same waitress spilling something last year (but not on anyone). Second time there ever and she remembered me because we had a Nashville connection that we talked about last year.

Then at a pit stop at McDonalds, I got a big coffee. Wasn't sweet enough so I doctored it after cruising down the road a mile and managed to spill a couple of ounces in my lap. Didn't even notice for 30 seconds because I was wearing my long johns under my jeans (don't ask....).

After mostly clear sailing, once we got over "the" bridge, we hit some snowy Interstate, so couldn't go the speed limit. After twenty minutes it started clearing up so I sped up but the Subaru decided the sweet spot was 68. Going 70 (the speed limit) resulted in a lot of vibration that didn't go away unless I hit 78 and the roads weren't that good for my comfort level.

Another couple of hours and the roads got pretty good so I pulled off at a rest area and I finally let my wife drive. While there I checked the tires, but they looked fine. Pretty icy, but okay. Knocked the ice out of the fender wells and off we went. Still some vibes. I amused myself messing with the Garmin plug that's acting up and not making a good connection with the power port.

30 minutes later the vibration picked up and started rattling the back of the wagon, so we pulled over and I hopped out. Yep, left rear tire was flat. Moved the Subie way off the shoulder and I managed to put the space saver on in my fastest time yet, coatless and gloveless (ah, those long johns did come in handy). Had a little trouble finding a spare fuse to stick in the FWD spot, but within 10 or 12 minutes we were back on the Interstate and pulling off at Bayfield so we could take the backroads down to Port Huron.

Uneventful until we got to the city limits; dark had fallen by then as had a half inch of very slippery snow. The Subie didn't like to stop or start at the intersections. Didn't have to go far in that mess at least, but did see a wreck getting cleared (guess the 404 in Sarnia was closed all day for a 30+ car pileup). Arrived and to top off the evening I had managed to turn the parking lights on with that secret Subie switch on top of the steering column. Caught it before it had a chance to zap my battery though.

Checking my logs, my tires were pushing 38,000 miles so it was about time I suppose. Gonna add tires to the shopping list for next week.

Got 2012 out of the way at least. Been almost 5 months since my last flat.
    Took I-94? I hate those concrete highways.
    38k is not a lot of miles for non OEM tires.
    Snow last Thursday, maybe 2 Subie's in the lot. Emails for the missing ones said WFH.
    edited January 2012
    I was on 94 last night going to and from American Idiot in Detroit (the musical, not the drivers). The snow cleared right up and it was pretty easy going.

But we usually take I-75 south from the Mackinac Bridge toward Flint before heading over to Port Huron. Makes for a long day if we don't bomb down the freeway for a while (still takes 10-12 hours usually). And when you live in 2 lane blue highway country, it's kind of fun to hit a road where you can go 80 for a change. :-)

I had high tread wear tires on the van last time and didn't like them. Seems like when I go that route, the tires are too hard and don't do well in the wet. And we're not driving that much any more, especially on the Subie. It might take 5 or 6 years to get 40k on the next set.
    Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Ky., Tn., back to Ga.

Memorable :shades: highlights included:
    1. BLUE LICKS Battlefield and State Resort Park, Kentucky.
    2. Ohio State Reformatory, Mansfield, Ohio.
    3. Dutch Heritage, Amish Style Cooking Restaurant, Bellville, Ohio.
    4. Put In Bay, Ohio.
    5. The Herry Ford, Museum and Greenfield Village, Dearbourne, Michigan.
    6. Hillsdale County Fair, exhibits and especially the Demolition Derby, Hillsdale, Mi.
    7. Seeing wheere Post and Kellogg's cereals were made, Battlecreek, Mi.
    8. Picking apples at Gary Crane Farm, picking up some souvenirs at Saugatuck Brewing Co., while on the way to touring the beautiful eastern shores of Lake Michigan.
    9. The Farmers Market in Holland, Michigan.
    10. Spending a few days at The Rockwell Lake Lodge located south of Cadillac, Michigan. reasonable
    11. Sightseeing Amish culture at Shipshewana, Indiana.
    12. Then a leisurely two lane trip back to our home in 'Dirtville', Georgia.

Total miles Hybrid Mariner SUV = 2,557 (averaging 31.5 mpg)
    Gasoline = $277
    Lodging = $986 (incl some meals)
    Other food = $270
    misc. = $153
    Boarding Mr. Dogface = $154
    Total direct cost for two people = $ 1,840
    Time period 10 days ranging later September through early October.
    edited March 2012
    Left Michigan yesterday and spent last night in southern Illinois. Weather seemed to be all around except where we were. More storms as we passed through Indiana and Kentucky, but nary a drop of rain fell on us. Lunch at Nashville watching the school closing reports and tornado warnings on the tube in the restaurant. Stopped on top of Monteagle to retie the canoe for the 5th time and then headed into Chattanooga. Later we heard that people had damage in Nashville and Monteagle.

The closer we got, the more road closing reports we heard on the radio. As we got within a quarter mile of my brother's house, we drove by a tornado path and the main road to my brother's neighborhood was closed. After calling my brother (who's in Florida) and messing with the GPS, we were able to sneak in a back way.

My niece and her hubby and two kids came over to sleep here since they have six holes in the roof of their newer home and no power. The damage was mostly along the eaves and got it tarped fast. Her husband works at home and saw the funnel. Watching the weather from my brother's deck, you could smell the pine resin in the air from all the snapped trees.

Wild weather day, but we were lucky just to have some windy driving. Lots luckier than a lot of people today.
    Finally got to see the cherry blossoms in DC. Just about hit the peak visiting the Tidal Basin area today.
    If you are still in the area, check out the Air and Space Museum near Dulles.
    edited March 2012
    Back in southern Michigan for 2 days before driving home. The museum is another one on the bucket list but every time I'm at Dulles, I'm on a schedule to meet my sister or fly out. One of these years...probably will run into pf_flyer there one of these years.
    Southern Michigan? Near the tornadoes at Dexter?
    edited March 2012
    Missed those (I'm over by Port Huron for a bit). Didn't miss the one in Chattanooga ~2 weeks ago though. That one hit my neice's house a little and damaged their neighborhood. Crazy weather - home has been running 40 degrees above normal.
    We're headed there tomorrow, the 21st. Home of Ft. Sumter and birth place of War between the States.

Never really stayed there overnight, but, yawn, should be a good place to rest because it may be boring. Yawn, maybe walk a garden or two.

The good news is that S.C has some low gasoline prices :)

Anyone have suggested Chas'ton 'must do' or 'must see' recommendations for this tourist??
    edited April 2012
    We came back through there on our recent trip south and camped at a nice county park for three nights (James Island). We got a "bulk" Heritage Pass and hit 3 or 4 old homes downtown and a couple of plantation tours. But the best part was just walking around downtown.

For morning coffee, try the Kudu, not far from the visitor's center. Had great fish and chips one day in an "English" pub downtown called The Griffon.

Parking is an issue and we were there in a "slow" time. So I'd find a parking garage (there's one run by the visitor's center that's next door to it) and take the free trolley around.

(And it's the "War of Northern Aggression" - remember where you're going. :shades: ).
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    I've actually done 2 or 3 of those (can't remember if I have taken that exact OR route), but I know I have done 99 in WA, and the Georgia one. 99 is interesting on the viaduct, but the rest of it can be pretty dreary.
    edited May 2012
    Been too long since we've visited my brother in law out in Seattle. Last I heard they were still voting on the viaduct; guess the tunnel really is a go. Lots of places put barriers like that between the city and their waterfront (funny that Portland had to put a lot of the bike path on piers in the river - lots of the St. Lawrence Seaway isn't easily accessible due to the industry.)

Overall, seems like some duller choices in the list.
    I have done Hwy 1 many times, hwy 26 out of Portland was my dad's favorite drive anytime of year. I was all over hwy 99 from Bakersfield to the Canadian border. On my only trip to NY we spent two weeks in the Rochester area, and hwy 28 in the fall was beautiful. I have 6 to go before I die.
    I always enjoy the Pacific Northwest and from mid June to mid Sep seems the sunniest weather. My favorite Washington drive is probably 112 north end of the Olympic Peninsula running along the water to the northwestern most part of the US. I think I like some of the driving in Oregon more than Washingtron though including the beach areas (although you really can't go wrong in either state). 26 is a beautiful drive and try to tie 242 through the McKenzie Pass to/from Sisters if its open. 101 is nice. I prefer the northern half over the sand dunes area, but its a pretty and sometimes quaint drive regardless. Either state along the Columbia River Gorge is also nice (Oregon side if you're into waterfalls).

I used to fly into Rochester and Buffalo NY years back, and spend the night. Despite being called the "east", my impression was that like Cleveland, its really more Midwestern in character (OK, the hilly portions maybe southern IL or OH). Personally, I liked them but don't see it as a 10 best drive.
    I have 6 to go before I die.

Then you've got to get rolling - life's short! I believe you spend a lot of time in Hawaii? When in Honolulu I like to take a short drive on H-3 to the east coast of Oahu through the lush mountains and tunnels, then overlooking the sea. Amazing engineering story and some spectacular views all in a few short miles. If you've got the time, get some shaved ice out that ways at Keneke's (spelling?).
    edited June 2012
    It takes a while to get to the end of the road, even if you live in Michigan, since it's way the heck north on two lane blacktop roads, most of them curvy, and all of them are scenic. My brother and his wife were visiting from Tennessee so we hopped in our vans last weekend and headed North.

After you get to the one access point to the peninsula, the world's heaviest and widest double-decked vertical lift bridge between Houghton and Hancock Michigan, you wind up on the Keweenaw Peninsula, home of lots and lots of trees, old copper mines and endless views of Lake Superior.

We took a left across the lift bridge and poked our way along Passage Canal and then over to Calumet, home of historic architecture and galleries (with lots of textiles and rugs on display).

Then we took US 41 up the main spine to the end of the pavement to Copper Harbor and camped at Fort Wilkins, built in 1844 to monitor the copper rush. Nice beaches there, lots of hiking and biking and if you have a high clearance vehicle, you can take dirt roads way out to the end of the point. The last stand of uncut white pines is near here too.

We cut over to Eagle Harbor on our way home and stocked up at a monastery that makes jams and jellies. Then we crossed back over the peninsula to see Mount Bohemia, a crazy looking, mostly expert ski hill with a few glade runs and lots of tree riding/skiing. I think I'll pass.

From there we followed the eastern shore of Lake Superior to Gay (yes, there's a bar there...), through the blueberry country of Lake Linden and then back across Portage Canal. That lift bridge breaks every few years or so and if you are on the wrong side, your only way home is to swim, boat or fly.

Great camping country (the biting flies left the day before we got there :D ) and miles of beach to walk.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Took a 6000 mile round trip from OH to CA in our '07 Prius. It's a good-sized vehicle for our family of 4 and the hatch-back design can hold a lot of stuff. Even though we get close to 50mpg at home, driving 80mph (75mph speed limit in a lot of southwest states) dropped the average MPG to the mid-40s. I spent $450 in gas to drive those 6000 miles. If I lived in the southwest on a regular basis, I'd see about maybe buying a diesel because I think they can get better MPG at those higher highway speeds. It would have cost about $1500 to fly, plus probably another few hundred for a rental car, so it was well worth it to drive, plus we got to see a lot of stuff along the way going throug the "fly-over" states.
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Am heading to CA next week from my home in Colorado. Should be around 2200 miles total. Hoping to get as far as I can on day 1 (12 hours? Vegas?) to make day 2 shorter.

Taking my '06 Saturn ION with 72K on it. I did a shorter trip a couple weeks ago and got over 32 MPG on one tank with AC running.

Looking forward to I-70 and I-15 in Utah where the posted limit is now 80 MPH.
    Denver to Vegas has a lot of nice scenery. Why rush it? You''ll probably lose it all on Day 2 in one of those traffic backups in Primm - just kidding!
    Denver to Vegas has a lot of nice scenery. Why rush it? You''ll probably lose it all on Day 2 in one of those traffic backups in Primm - just kidding!

Yeah, I've done the drive a number of times over the years. I love the vistas in Utah.

I'm leaving Wednesday, so I'm hoping not to encounter too much traffic on Thursday, when I'll be going from Vegas to LA
    If you think cousin Vinnie's slide shows are insipid and tedious now, just wait. :)

"Roadtrip Video Recorder documents hours of family fun while traveling on the highway."

Versatile camera can enhance vacations (Detroit News)
    Day one of the road trip is in the books. Denver to mesquite Nevada. Approximately 670 miles. First tank yielded 33 mpg. Second tank was 29. Lots of construction - one lane. 40 mph speeds. Should only have six hours or so tomorrow.
    edited September 2012
    Went west to Escanaba, south to Traverse City, cross state to Port Huron and then north to Whitefish Point and followed the coast of Superior back to Marquette and then home. So we've pretty much "done" Michigan (caught the thumb of the mitten last year). We did the north shore of Superior years ago, so we've managed to go around it too now.

Anyway, the drive along the National Lakeshore between Whitefish (or Grand Marais if you don't want to go to end of the "regular" road) and Munising was a great drive. Champagne asphalt, curvy, uncrowded (a few maples have turned but it's not leaf peeping season yet) with forest and water views. Almost took out a deer though.

The traffic we did see seemed to be there for the road. There was a 20+ contingent of Porsches (notable because the stuck the 4 or 5 Cayennes running sweep so as not to block anyone's view :shades: ) and lots of motorcyclists cruising.
    Better get used to seeing more Cayenne SUVs. Best selling Porsche model. They are out selling many of their competition. Who knows, I may go for the diesel model. It is rated higher mileage than its stable mate the Touareg TDI. Also a hybrid model. Not very good highway mileage. The Touareg is really better looking. Sorry Porsche, If I get one from you it will be a 911.
    Carhenge: A Bucket-List Destination for Those With Time, and Gas, to Burn (NY Times)

Me neither (nor Cadillac Ranch for that matter).
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Be careful not to mistake the Cadillac Ranch with the Mustang Ranch. Your wife may never forgive you.